Author Topic: Just got the KBT Race 75%  (Read 20227 times)

Offline astr0s

Just got the KBT Race 75%
« on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 02:25:31 »
As it happened, the post office had my Race already early in the morning, and being on the move in the morning, I just had to pick it up! This is my second mechanical, the first I bought a mere week ago, a Filco Majestouch with MX Blues (actually ordered the Race before the Filco). These two are a world apart, the feel and the sound, obviously. The Race feels very nice, its precise and light to type on, although I must say I currently prefer Blues over Reds. The US layout is a slight headache for the time being, since I'm not a 100% touch typist and have used the standard FIN/SWE layout for nearly twenty years. I need to modify the keymapping for scandics a little. The LED brightness is immense, at it's max by far brighter than the N52te or Diamondback I have alongside the Race or my old Logitech Illuminated. The keyboard is quite solid, not quite as sturdy as the Filco, but overall quality feels good. Thanks for the fast shipping and translated DIP switch guide to Qtan, shame this didn't come with the custom key caps :(

(yeah, I know, the mouse looks awful :) )
Filco Mj | Filco Mj2 DSA Retro | Filco Mj2 TKL CCnG | Leopold 210TP CCnG

Offline ViciousXUSMC

• http://www.ViciousComputers.com
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 02:41:44 »
Sweet!  Still have a long ways off till the group buy comes in but I can wait.  I hope I like the reds since that is what I ordered as well.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 03:31:16 »
Quote from: astr0s;492253
The LED brightness is immense, at it's max by far brighter than the N52te or Diamondback I have alongside the Race or my old Logitech Illuminated. The keyboard is quite solid, not quite as sturdy as the Filco, but overall quality feels good. Thanks for the fast shipping and translated DIP switch guide to Qtan, shame this didn't come with the custom key caps :(

I'm fixing on ordering this as well in Browns.  I already have the K90 now and the Reds are quite nice for typing.  I just want to get a smaller keyboard just for the internet forums.

Offline mechanisch

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 07:42:04 »
astr0s, do you find any trouble using the right Shift key with it being so small?  This is my primary concern as a touch typist using this board.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 07:56:39 »
Do you feel any flex in the PCB when typing on the keyboard?  I know the Pokers had a little flex in them.  Since this is a PCB mounted board, just like the Poker, I'm curious.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline astr0s

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 09:38:27 »
Quote from: mechanisch;492358
astr0s, do you find any trouble using the right Shift key with it being so small?  This is my primary concern as a touch typist using this board.

Yes, it is an issue for me since I'm used to a different layout, small left, big right shift. But I am very certain that it'll go away once the muscle memory kicks in properly. I dont think it should put you off buying this, if you like it otherwise.

Quote from: AKIMbO;492366
Do you feel any flex in the PCB when typing on the keyboard?  I know the Pokers had a little flex in them.  Since this is a PCB mounted board, just like the Poker, I'm curious.

There is some, if you force push it very hard, but under normal typing conditions I haven't noticed any. Of course this is with the light red switches, so it may feel a bit different with different switches.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 10:27:34 »
Quote from: dante;492467
One last question; is this all uniform red switch or are they using heavier switches for some of the other keys (ie: space bar)

I think the space bar uses a green switch.  I recall seeing it over at Deskthority on a review there.

Edit:  Here you go http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1763
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline pitashen

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 10:29:05 »
the keyboard would have been a perfect one if i can have full compatibility to the regular keycap sets available out there.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline astr0s

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 10:29:08 »
Quote from: dante;492467
One last question; is this all uniform red switch or are they using heavier switches for some of the other keys (ie: space bar)

I've got no idea, they all feel quite the same and I wouldn't know about the subtle nuances between keys due to my lack of experience with mechanical keyboards.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 10:39:01 »
Quote from: astr0s;492478
I've got no idea, they all feel quite the same and I wouldn't know about the subtle nuances between keys due to my lack of experience with mechanical keyboards.

You could take the space bar off.  You probably don't notice the difference because you hit the space bar with your thumb which exerts a stronger force on the key than typing with index, middle, ring, and pinky finger.
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline astr0s

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 10:51:06 »
Haven't got but ghetto pullers and I dont feel very comfortable removing the space bar currently. Its a tight fit and the pcb starts to bend a little :P

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 10:52:34 »
A green switch wouldn't make sense for a linear switch kb.  Isn't the green switch clicky like blues?  I hope the brown, black and red variation of the Race uses a non-clicky space bar switch.
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline astr0s

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 10:56:34 »
Quote from: AKIMbO;492503
A green switch wouldn't make sense for a linear switch kb.  Isn't the green switch clicky like blues?  I hope the brown, black and red variation of the Race uses a non-clicky space bar switch.
The spacebar on this isn't clicky, so I would guess its either black or red.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 10:59:27 »
Quote from: astr0s;492511
The spacebar on this isn't clicky, so I would guess its either black or red.

That's good news...is it tactile?  Can you feel a miniscule bump when you press the space bar?  Or is it smooth like the rest of the switches which definitely use cherry mx reds?
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline piken

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 11:00:22 »
Quote from: AKIMbO;492517
That's good news...is it tactile?  Can you feel a miniscule bump when you press the space bar?  Or is it smooth like the rest of the switches which definitely use cherry mx reds?

I have heard for light linear boards that grey switches are a common use for spacebar.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 11:03:01 »
Quote from: piken;492519
I have heard for light linear boards that grey switches are a common use for spacebar.

Which is why I'm asking if it's tactile or linear.  Just trying to make an educated guess as to whether the space bar switch is grey or red/black.
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline astr0s

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 11:05:35 »
Quote from: AKIMbO;492517

I managed to lift the edge a little, and it is most certainly a red switch. It is the same shade of red as the alt buttons next to it that I removed before :)

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 11:08:48 »
Quote from: dante;492527
AFAIK grays come in both linear and tactile variants.

Learn something new everyday. :D

Quote from: astr0s;492528
I managed to lift the edge a little, and it is most certainly a red switch. It is the same shade of red as the alt buttons next to it that I removed before :)

Thanks!  This makes me happy.
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Disposable Hero

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 14:17:20 »
can't wait, mine(Reds) should be here within the week.....:ranger:

Got mine for gaming as I wanted more room for my mouse and never used any of the dam number pad keys anyways lol...Not sure why main-stream keyboard manufaturers insist on putting numberpads on ALL their keyboards especially the so called "gaming" keyboards when I don't know a single person that ever uses them...

Offline Crowat

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 16:47:57 »
Nice to see some reviews.  Mine should be here first/second week of February.  Should be on it's way here from HK/Shenzen...

Offline Graviton

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 20:50:29 »
nice, could u post some of its keycaps? how its compare to BWU`s?

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 18 January 2012, 03:38:49 »
Quote from: Graviton;493014
nice, could u post some of its keycaps? how its compare to BWU`s?

Anyone post BWU keycaps?

Offline Maxrunner

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 18 January 2012, 04:34:15 »
Quote from: astr0s;492429
Yes, it is an issue for me since I'm used to a different layout, small left, big right shift. But I am very certain that it'll go away once the muscle memory kicks in properly. I dont think it should put you off buying this, if you like it otherwise.

There is some, if you force push it very hard, but under normal typing conditions I haven't noticed any. Of course this is with the light red switches, so it may feel a bit different with different switches.

Hi there where did you bought and how much? also is the KBT the manufacter???im trying to decide on my next HHKP2 size style mx cherry one, and between this, the noppoo mini choc and the poker which one is probably the best?

Offline FinancialWar

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 18 January 2012, 04:52:49 »
how well does the dip switch function?
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Graviton

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 18 January 2012, 06:42:49 »
Quote from: quake4mhg;493249
Show Image

Show Image

Anyone post BWU keycaps?

sold my BWU, but here is Rapoo V7 keycaps

left is Filco PBT

cap1cap2

Offline Graviton

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 18 January 2012, 06:45:52 »
Quote from: quake4mhg;493249
Show Image

Show Image

Anyone post BWU keycaps?

sold mine, but here is Rapoo V7 keycaps
left is PBT Filco

caps1caps2

Offline astr0s

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 18 January 2012, 08:27:34 »
I'll try write a summary and take some more pics by the end of the week, since I've got a lot of work on my plate at the moment :)

Offline sordna

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 18 January 2012, 10:29:41 »
Quote from: astr0s;492500
Haven't got but ghetto pullers and I dont feel very comfortable removing the space bar currently. Its a tight fit and the pcb starts to bend a little :P

When pulling keycaps from PCB-mounted boards ALWAYS push down neighboring keys at the same time to avoid the flex. The Poker is scary in that respect, but pushing down elsewhere avoids the problem nicely.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline astr0s

Offline Disposable Hero

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 19 January 2012, 22:42:14 »
arrrgh that green looks sooooo good....got me peeking out the window every hour looking for the DHL man to get here with mine lol(hopefully only  4-5 more days).. :rockon:

Offline limniscate

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 20 January 2012, 00:41:21 »
Where'd you get this?

Offline Disposable Hero

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 20 January 2012, 00:59:28 »
eBay.....

Offline Rumudiez

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 21 January 2012, 14:55:14 »
how's keycap compatibility? with some of the deformed keys it doesn't seem like you could replace some keys like the right control, shift, and escape.
i'm trying to decide between this, the poker, and a Filco TKL, and i want to want this one, but i'm not sure.. where's my leopold 700R ;..;
40% layout, anyone?

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 21 January 2012, 21:07:08 »
Race keycap compatibility is weird. Not too many choices as normal layout :ohwell:

Offline Disposable Hero

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 21 January 2012, 21:47:08 »
I like it...especially for gaming...gets rid of just about every single key you'll never need but you still get the ones you do, including the function keys....and its backlit.......PERFECT!

Offline obra

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 21 January 2012, 21:58:21 »
My Race showed up today. (Taobao seller. Green backlight, brown switches)

The slick feel of the keycaps is definitely going to take some getting used to. I love the size, but having just gotten used to a Poker, it's taking a bit to get up to speed on.

Offline Rumudiez

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 21 January 2012, 22:09:53 »
aw well :/ i think i'd like the Race more than the Poker because of the F keys, but keycaps are a must for either. back to hunting!
40% layout, anyone?

Offline Disposable Hero

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 15:42:13 »
Ahhh finally got my race the other day...man this thing ROCKS...I Love it! The reds I find are perfect(for me) although i will be putting some #40 o-rings on it I ordered to to help quiet down a bit more when I bottom it out...gonna take some getting use to as this is the first mechanical I've had my hands on in the last 24 years lol. Highly reccomend it if anyone is sitting on the fence about it... :whoo:  Also ordered a real nice Fellows memory foam laptop palm rest pad that should work nicely with it.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 January 2012, 20:48:13 by Disposable Hero »

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 18:21:10 »
Quote from: Disposable Hero;500938
Ahhh finally got my race on the other day...man this thing ROCKS...I Love it! The reds I find are perfect(for me) although i will be putting some #40 o-rings on it I ordered to to help quiet down a bit more when I bottom it out...gonna take some getting use to as this is my first mechanical I've had my hands on in the last 24 years lol. Highly reccomend it if anyone is sitting on the fence about it... :whoo:  Also ordered a real nice Fellows memory foam laptop palm rest pad that should work nicely with it.

Great share. I'm gonna have 40A & 50A coming in the mail. Can't wait to try :hippie:
Yes, yes. Race is perfect for games like BF3, I can still have the function keys to switch seat inside vehicles.
Both arms stay closer to together, swing 180 check corners sooooo comfortable.
Plus excellent response from mechanical keyboard (I have mx red too).
I dodge bullets, turn back to shoot, react very fast.
I wonder how can I game with rubber dome so many years :noidea:

Offline seferphier

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 10:31:56 »
where did u get that mousepad? looks awesome

Offline astr0s

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 13:40:40 »
Quote from: seferphier;501511
where did u get that mousepad? looks awesome

I assume this is pointed towards me. The answer is the manufacturer's website:
http://www.ratscar.com/gaming/products/

A little over 40€ shipped

Offline two4teezee

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 22:15:30 »
Quote from: astr0s;493971

A couple of wanna-be-cool fullHD wallpapers

Sick... the fourth one is my new wallpaper =D

Just wondering if anyone (or you) has tried to put on a "normal" (non-Race, not meant for backlit operation) keycap on this keyboard to see what it looks like with the light bleeding around it.

Offline yiptog

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 04:36:07 »
Has anyone else has problems with the LEDs?  My CAPS lock doesn't light except for a very short blink when plugged in, and I seem to lose the LEDs on several keys for long periods of time.  Sometimes the LEDs come back, sometimes they don't.

Otherwise, this is a great keyboard!

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 06:52:42 »
Nice wallpaper astr0s.

Offline Disposable Hero

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 06 February 2012, 14:36:54 »
My CAPS lock doesn't light except for a very short blink when plugged in

That's normal...it is only suppose to come on when CAPS is activtated(and when it does its BRIGHT).....mine does the same thing.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 February 2012, 14:39:04 by Disposable Hero »

Offline highspeed

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 07 February 2012, 05:43:56 »
Quote from: obra;495937
My Race showed up today. (Taobao seller. Green backlight, brown switches)

The slick feel of the keycaps is definitely going to take some getting used to. I love the size, but having just gotten used to a Poker, it's taking a bit to get up to speed on.

hi how do you buy from taobao?

Offline highspeed

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 12 February 2012, 06:26:18 »
this got full NKRO over USB or not? I heard 2 things from different people.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 12 February 2012, 06:43:47 »
No.

Offline highspeed

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 14:08:18 »
So i got my keyboard but i cant get it working with ps2. Tried usb to ps2 converter, a mouse green version. No different between a mouse usb/ps2 converter and a keyboard one right?

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 14:48:34 »
No difference, but Race doesn't support PS2.