Author Topic: Need help with my Teensy/Model F  (Read 4060 times)

Offline Mikelittoris

Need help with my Teensy/Model F
« on: Thu, 16 February 2012, 10:09:58 »
I've had my terminal Model F hooked up to my Teensy with soarer's code for a while now. Since I'm a lazy idiot i didn't bother to make a nice box or anything for my adapter. A few days ago I accidently got the female din connector to touch the teensy. There was some smoke coming from the Teensy and my keyboard stoped working. What the hell do I do now? The Teensy seems to be working since the computer notice it when I plug it in and out. And I can program it with the Teensy.exe, the button on it seems to be working aswell. Is it possible that I've ruined my precious Model F :frusty:, and is there anyway of checking this?.

this is what my adapter looks like.
IBM Model M SSK -91 (Bolt moded), Geekhack ESC, RGB modifiers and lt blue WASD cluster.
IBM Model M -95
IBM Model N2 -94
IBM Model F -85 (122-key Terminal) Using a Teensy with Soarer\'s adapter code.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 February 2012, 10:26:22 »
I am not a good enough electrician to help you, but I will watch this thread.

My first Teensy was installed inside the case and wired directly to the controller. It took a bit of trial-and-error to get it started, but it has worked properly since. I did touch and disconnect a few wires at random, but never saw any smoke. I doubt that I shorted anything out, probably just dumb luck.

I have another one waiting for me to get up the time and energy for another project, and I plan to build a box with a female jack so that I could theoretically use any Model M/F with a 240 degree DIN plug on its original cable.

Seeing this will make me work more carefully.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 16 February 2012, 16:48:23 »
THE MAGIC SMOKE! FOR GOD'S SAKE, THE MAGIC SMOKE!!!

Probe +5V and make sure it's working, for one thing.
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 16 February 2012, 16:50:06 »
Hopefully the Teensy took one for the team and saved the F! (Most likely it did, I think).

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 16 February 2012, 16:52:15 »
Quote from: Soarer;516433
Hopefully the Teensy took one for the team and saved the F! (Most likely it did, I think).
Yeah, you would think the F is the more robust of the two!
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 16 February 2012, 17:05:36 »
Well, let's think the possibilities through...
1. short gnd and power - should just trip the USB port on the PC, teensy and keyboard would just see a dip in power
2. short ground to signal pin - no problem
3. short power to signal pin - possibly a problem if the teensy or keyboard is sending data, for the sender
4. short ground to LED pin that was 'on' - probably dead teensy, but not sure why the signal pins seem to have died too
5. short power to LED pin that was 'off' - same

Even if the keyboard is damaged, it would most likely just be a cheap buffer chip :-)

(signal = data/clock, LED = caps/num/scrl)
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 February 2012, 17:08:28 by Soarer »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 17 February 2012, 08:52:12 »
As a tangent to the OP, I started with 3 Model Fs, all 6110347 part numbers, all with 240 degree DIN plugs.

I also have 2 Model M 122-keys with the "RJ-45" connectors in the garage, having salvaged the key caps.

If I were to fry a controller on one of the Fs, could I substitute one of my M controllers? Forget the original cord, I would put the Teensy inside and wire it directly to the controller.

Thank you.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 17 February 2012, 13:31:24 »
Repair would probably be feasible though. About the only chip you can't get hold of is the square silver capacitive magic chip (and it would be a ***** to swap over even if you could).

I don't know what dies (if anything) if you apply +5V and GND swapped over - and I'm not about to try it! That's possibly the worst though, unless you put more than 5V somewhere.

Offline Mikelittoris

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 18 February 2012, 21:33:29 »
Okey. I pray that the Teensy is the one that's broken. I don't feel like buying a new Model F, it wasn't cheap to get it shipped to the northen parts Sweden from Oregon USA. I think I'll just order a new Teensy if it isn't to expensive and see how it goes.
"Even if the keyboard is damaged, it would most likely just be a cheap buffer chip :-)", are you saying that I could repair my keyboard if it's the one that's broken? I don't know what a  buffer chip is, hehe.

Thanks for all the help you guys :)
IBM Model M SSK -91 (Bolt moded), Geekhack ESC, RGB modifiers and lt blue WASD cluster.
IBM Model M -95
IBM Model N2 -94
IBM Model F -85 (122-key Terminal) Using a Teensy with Soarer\'s adapter code.

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 19 February 2012, 06:17:33 »
Quote from: Mikelittoris;518306
I don't know what a  buffer chip is, hehe.

For now, all you need to know is that it's probably the cheapest part in the keyboard, and fairly easy to obtain :-)

The actual device varies depending on the model, but either a 7405 hex inverter (AT) or a 7407 hex buffer (XT), with open collector outputs, in a 14 pin DIP. One of its jobs in the circuit is to protect the more fragile (and more expensive) CPU.