Author Topic: Spilled juice on Steelseries 6VG2, LAlt doesn't work, how do I open it?  (Read 3348 times)

Offline Jazradel

I spilled juice on my Steelseries 6GV2 and now the L-Alt key doesn't work. I assume there is a short going on between the Ctrl/Alt keys or something similar, so I want to open the keyboard up to have a look. I've unscrewed the four screws on the back, but I can't open it, and I can't figure out if there are clips. I don't want to force it because I'm worried about snapping something.

Does anybody know how to open it? Would I have better luck soaking the keyboard in isopropyl or distilled water?

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, this is where I ended up from Google and I didn't see a sticky.

Offline Tony

Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline blert

Spilled juice on Steelseries 6VG2, LAlt doesn't work, how do I open it?
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 10:58:55 »
Don't get ahead of yourself and immerse it in anything or throw it in the diswasher.  (And check the threads that Tony and ripster have supplied.)  Unless you're wanting an excuse to get a new keyboard, in which case try Windex and WD-40 (but no, really, don't).

Offline Jazradel

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 01 March 2012, 15:25:35 »
Thanks for the advice. As well as the four clips down the bottom, there is a 5th clip where the cord is. That clip requires a significant amount more force to open.

I tried cleaning with a toothbrush and isopropyl but now it won't power up. Guess it's time to get it repaired.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 01 March 2012, 15:33:20 »
Good excuse to upgrade! Just get a cover or leave the bevs away from your desk ;)
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Jazradel

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 01 March 2012, 17:18:47 »
I just tried connecting the keyboard via USB, and interestingly it does power up (I'm going by the LEDs here) for a second before dying.

What does that mean? Have I accidentally caused a short somewhere?

Edit: To clarify, there was about a week between my spill and my attempt to clean the keyboard. It was fine after the spill, except for the alt key. The failure to remain powered on only happened after I cleaned it.

Offline Jazradel

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 05 March 2012, 23:35:24 »
As a final followup for anyone who googled this thread, I cleaned the board again in the same way, waited 5 days and the keyboard now works perfectly.

Thanks for everybody's help.