Author Topic: Would sexual lubricant work?  (Read 6898 times)

Offline f4d3

Would sexual lubricant work?
« on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 16:55:43 »
My right shift key is starting to squeak and I was wondering if I could use some sexual lube like Lifestyles lube? I don't feel like spending more money on a few cc of lube when I got some at my girlfriend's house.

Offline Tycn

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 17:00:38 »
Thinly veiled "I have a girlfriend" thread.

Offline f4d3

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 17:03:16 »
Doesn't matter if I have a girlfriend or not. I just need to know whether sexual lube will fare well with my keyboard or not.

Offline Tycn

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 17:10:00 »
Might if it's silicon based. Not sure about consistency though.

Offline Roguemaster8

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 17:39:21 »
Ripster did you know you're creepy sometimes?
CM Storm Quickfire | Dell Quietkey | Unicomp Ultra Classic | KBC Poker

Offline f4d3

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 17:41:06 »
Quote from: ripster;541577
Why not just use the GF?

She wanted to break my keyboard because I spend more money on it than I do on her. So using her as lube wouldn't be a option though it would smell quite funky. So I just looked up what sexual lube is made of and I don't think it will work well with my keyboard/keycap. Is the lube sold by EK considered good or are there better options out there cause 1cc seem like nothing.

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 17:50:05 »
Walmart has Permatex grease and its less expensive

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 18:24:06 »
Quote from: f4d3;541523
My right shift key is starting to squeak and I was wondering if I could use some sexual lube like Lifestyles lube? I don't feel like spending more money on a few cc of lube when I got some at my girlfriend's house.

Offline Tycn

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 18:31:11 »
Quote from: ripster;541577
Why not just use the GF?

Same reason why she buys lube.

*runs and hides*

Offline vurt

• achiever
    • j-beck.net
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 18:32:42 »
Just go buy some white lithium grease...ky and **** is water based which will evaporate over time.
Filco MJ2 Ninja | IBM Model M 1391401

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 18:34:46 »
Quote from: Tycn;541651
Same reason why she buys lube.

*runs and hides*

hahahaha
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 19:06:21 »
Nice topic :biggrin1:

Offline glossywhite

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 19:50:54 »
Quite a worrying thread...

Offline HolidaySHRIMP

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 19:52:08 »
Inb4 "I've spilled dementia all over my keyboard how do I clean it" following thread.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 20:14:39 »
I think you can get better result with KY.
Cuz KY is water based just likeRO-59 is.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 20:39:28 »
The stuff Elite Keyboards sells is great.

Although 1 cc sounds like very little, it goes a long way. I have lubed at least 2 dozen keys and have not used anywhere near a quarter of the tube.

Just a little dab will do ya.

Unlike the other stuff, where you use a hefty squirt to do - her.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline the gato

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 21:13:56 »
The slick stuff in your lube is probably propylene glycol and glycerine.  I wouldn't suggest using it as it's quite thin and won't adhere to plastic.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 00:38:38 »
Quote from: f4d3;541587
She wanted to break my keyboard because I spend more money on it than I do on her.

Just make sure you have your pants on while applying it to your board or she'll be extra pissed and you'll have some explaining to do.

Offline ryuhyoko

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 04:34:16 »
Can't tell if this was OP trolling

Offline FinancialWar

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 04:53:17 »
OP: umm...why do you need lube? why your GF not producing enough juice? how old is your girlfriend?
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline limmy

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 05:04:33 »
Quote from: ripster;541846
I'm big on Finish Line Extreme Fluoro now.  About 10cc  in a syringe.

Oh honey!

This is very similar or equivalent to Krytox stuff. (see http://www.sandsmachine.com/grease_t.htm) Expensive and top of the line grease.

I have been using Krytox oil from which the grease is made. I love this stuff. Applying it to everywhere from Expert mouse fake rubies to mouse pads. Lubed Cherry reds with sticker mod and my 5-year-old HHKB. Very slick and not sticky as other oil.

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 05:07:25 »
Seriously, no reason why you shouldn't just try it out and let us know.

Also,

LEGITBALLIN!
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline Tony

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 06:45:25 »
Next time I will try to put a condom onto the switch instead of an o-ring.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline glossywhite

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 08:52:09 »
Quote from: FinancialWar;542085
OP: umm...why do you need lube? why your GF not producing enough juice? how old is your girlfriend?

That's not something to ask.

More than slightly inappropriate and creepy.

Offline f4d3

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 09:55:47 »
Quote from: limmy;542096
This is very similar or equivalent to Krytox stuff. (see http://www.sandsmachine.com/grease_t.htm) Expensive and top of the line grease.

I have been using Krytox oil from which the grease is made. I love this stuff. Applying it to everywhere from Expert mouse fake rubies to mouse pads. Lubed Cherry reds with sticker mod and my 5-year-old HHKB. Very slick and not sticky as other oil.

Care to elaborate on the mods you listed above? I wouldn't mind doing them to my poker with reds.

Quote from: FinancialWar;542085

Rear end purposes. We're both legal age; 20 and 19.

Offline f4d3

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 10:01:28 »
Quote from: ripster;542188
The Sticker mod is the one where they attempt to "seal" the switch with red stickers and attempt to make it dust resistant and more stable.

100th Monkey Effect?  The science seems questionable to me.

Ah that seems like it would require disassembling the switch.

PS: I would had voted for you if I had known you were helpful and not a troll when I first joined this forum.

Offline Ursadon-n-Pals

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 15:06:31 »
in all honesty, wouldn't the lube be corrosive? i think most of them have spermicide in them

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 15:15:42 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 13:45:02 by davkol »

Offline limmy

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 19:34:24 »
Quote from: f4d3;542185
Care to elaborate on the mods you listed above? I wouldn't mind doing them to my poker with reds.

You can use this tool ( http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/3520312 ) to disassemble PCB mounted Cherry switches.(To disassemble switches with LEDs you would have to desolder the LED) Here is pictures of the mod along with sound samples of Cherry blue switches before and after the sticker mod ( http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/3681762 ). I used filament tape instead of sticker particularly designed for the mod and it works pretty well. Also, I used silicone oil on the stems to reduce metal to plastic friction sound along with Krytox oil on the sliders.

Good luck with the lubrication. I really like how my Poker sounds and feels after the sticker mod + lubrication + rubber o-ring mod. After the mod, sounds from rattling and scratching have disappeared and it feels so smooth. The difference to the touch is not very noticeable if you just do the sticker mod, but if you are sensitive enough to feel the vibration which generates the rattling sound you would definitely feel the difference. The lubrication on the other hand makes the feel of the switches to be much smoother.

Quote from: ripster;542188
The Sticker mod is the one where they attempt to "seal" the switch with red stickers and attempt to make it dust resistant and more stable.

100th Monkey Effect?  The science seems questionable to me.

Ripster, If it is questionable, then try it yourself. That is what scientists do, experiment and document the results. You don't have to have the sticker to do it. You just need thick tape that would hold the rattling upper housing. In my opinion, it has more to do with the sound of the switches(or little vibrations that make the sound) rather than sealing. Please check the sound samples. Look for Cherry_Blues_sticker_mod.zip (287.6KB) for the MP3s.
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 March 2012, 19:36:39 by limmy »

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 19:46:31 »
Quote from: f4d3;541523

I have one piece of advice for you: sometimes cheap ends up being very expensive. I do believe that any sexual lube is designed to break down fast, otherwise...

Offline limmy

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 19:49:55 »
Quote from: ripster;542748
Well, I've tried wiggling the switches WITHOUT the tape and am just not seeing it.

And if it's just sound then it's McGurk Effect.

Sound is important to many people, no matter what you name the effect.

Press down the switch and wiggle it. You will see it. My Poker(PCB mounted) does it. My Filco numpad(plate mounted) does it.

Offline f4d3

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 20:11:40 »
So what is considered better for filco stabilizers, white lithium or silicone grease?

Offline f4d3

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 20:23:31 »
Seems like I'll be buying some finish line extreme.

Offline limmy

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 20:41:09 »
Quote from: ripster;542781

And I just wiggled the switches.

So what.  Insignificant amount of play.

It may be insignificant to you and but is significant enough for others who know the difference. You didn't know they wiggle and hence do not know what the consequences are. But you are ignoring it already. Ignoring something you don't understand is typical but that would not make you a good scientist.

I don't think this discussion is going anywhere and I guess I will stop here. It was nice talking to you.

Offline lorem3k

• http://twitter.com/#!/lorem3k
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 21:42:54 »
Quote from: f4d3;542185
We're both legal age; 20 and 19.

Boring.
Leopold FC200RT/AWN | Logitech G400 | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | Pounds in the fridge, hundred stacks in the armoire

Offline limmy

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 21:55:05 »
Quote from: ripster;542830
Well, it's easy for other people to see.  You have to really torque the switch to see any wiggle.

There is MUCH more play in the slider to switch housing than between the upper and lower part of the housing.

You, my friend, are suffering from what is known The Law Of The Instrument.  Or as a psychologist would say, Maslow's Hammer.

I wouldn't say more about the mod and what it does.

However, the condition from which I am suffering is interesting. If you don't mind, would you elaborate on my psychological condition? What would be the hammer, that I try use all the time to solve and evaluate all my problems? I am not being sarcastic, and am genuinely interested in my psychological evaluation.

Offline limmy

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 22:29:27 »
Quote from: ripster;542852
Maslow believed that people tend to get ingrained in their habits and will ALWAYS have observer error.  

That is why a fresh look from multiple scientists is how Keyboard Science progresses.  Like the RipOmeter.  In itself you might think the numbers vary but once you get multiple reports a clear picture emerges.

Maslow is the man.
Show Image

I'm at the tippy top through doing 90% of the Wikis here.

So, if I am understanding correctly, you are saying that I developed some kind of prejudice and have observational error? I disagree and I don't see close relationship with the Maslow's hammer either. I tried to be objective as possible recording and documenting the effect with a voice recorder(PCM recorder with fixed recording level). Also, it has been only 6 months since I got my Cherries and I was not interested in any of the mods until recently. To be honest, I was also doubtful(but not expressing the doubt since I have not experienced it myself) about the effect of the mod until I tried it. Now that I tried it, I understand the effect. I still think the mod is a lot of work, but if people have spent significant amount of money on keyboards, I guess good portion of the people may be interested in further improving the keyboards, for instance reducing the rattling sound. For you, nit picking about little things like the rattling sound may seem too much, but for most people spending more than $100 is already ridiculous(now a days maybe not so much though).

By the way, I acknowledge that you contribute to most of the Wikis here and I respect that because creating useful information for others to consume is costly.

Offline limmy

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 15:01:39 »
Okay, okay...I agree you are what you are claimed to be, a skeptic and an *******. But you and I know that wouldn't make you a good scientist. (Good scientist are a skeptic and an *******, but being a skeptic and an ******* doesn't make you a good scientist.) Being a skeptic and ignoring something that you have not experienced as irrelevant is not very scientific to me.

You said I am suffering from some hammer problem. But you are silent about it. I am guessing you have no more to say about the matter. Not interested now..