Author Topic: [Orders closed] Aluminum poker case  (Read 63100 times)

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
[Orders closed] Aluminum poker case
« on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 16:44:06 »
[video=youtube;qjjYCRJ-e20]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjjYCRJ-e20[/video][video=youtube;wyIwWf45Dss]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyIwWf45Dss[/video][video=youtube;2YLtQF0Emf0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YLtQF0Emf0[/video][video=youtube;Me-Zr7lCpwY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me-Zr7lCpwY[/video][video=youtube;UO4_Eg6_E2s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO4_Eg6_E2s[/video][video=youtube;47p43RY9rNc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47p43RY9rNc[/video][video=youtube;CNSjdYfjhbk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNSjdYfjhbk[/video]

Pictures here: http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?28132-Got-an-awesome-price-quote!-See-post-230-Aluminum-poker-cases&p=548042&viewfull=1#post548042
And here: http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?28132-Interest-check-Poker-aluminum-or-stainless-steel-cases&p=540275&viewfull=1#post540275

Quick and updated info

Material: 5052 aluminum
Thickness: 3/16"
Weight with keyboard: 2 pounds, 8 ounces
Weight without keyboard: 1 pound, 14 ounces
Attachment method: the metal insert will be attached to the metal base using glue (not normal crappy white glue but glue meant for this kind of a thing)
Finish: brushed
Color options: blue, red, gold (see here http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?29356-ANODIZING-for-aluminum-poker-cases)
Cost: $82.62 for the case + optional anodizing + actual cost of shipping from me to you. Payable to: stephenpoconnor@gmail.com

Older info below which is still partially relevant

This is the order thread for hand made aluminum Poker cases. This is not made using a milling machine (CNC). So just as a warning, if you are looking for machine perfection, you may be disappointed as there will be minor signs of assembly (welding), so please take that into consideration. On the other hand, you could say that it gives it character! There are plenty of pictures and video footage of what you can expect for the most part. The one illustrated was the prototype however so most notably the USB jack cutout is very ugly looking but it will be cut square on the production versions.

The outside of the case will be glass beaded (similar to sandblasting). This is done to hide signs of scuffing that develop during the manufacturing process as the metal is handled, so it is not really optional. The top edge and inside of the case will not be glass beaded. It is made using 3/16" thick 5052 aluminum and weighs 1 pound, 14 ounces without the keyboard inside of it or 2 pounds, 8 ounces with the keyboard inside it. The body of the case is a single sheet of aluminum folded up to create the walls and the walls are then welded at the corners. The keyboard is mounted onto a separate metal insert that will then be [strike]glued[/strike] tacked (minor welds) to the body.

Price

The actual price I was quoted is $64 per case. This price will not go down if there are more orders as these are made by hand, not machine, so it's no easier to make them in bulk than it is to make just a few.

The effective tax rate in Quebec is 14.975%, so with taxes it comes to $73.584 ~ $73.50. I then need to charge for the price of screws, insulating material and [strike]glue (still looking into the possibility of having it spot welded aka "tacked")[/strike] (tacking confirmed!). I'd like to charge $80 per case then to cover this and it will probably leave me with just a little extra which will allow me to get a case for myself for free, which I think is fair for my part in this. Other than that this is a non-profit project I took up for the benefit of the geekhack community so prices are as close to the actual cost as possible, enjoy!

Rubber feet are not included, so you will have to figure out something of your own if you want to elevate the back end of the case. Ergonomically speaking though, it's better to let your keyboard lie flat! I don't plan to use any feet at all.

Shipping

This price does not include the cost of shipping. You will be charged the actual cost of shipping when it comes time to ship out the cases. Please bear in mind that when packaged this will weigh about 2.5 pounds (heavy in terms of shipping costs!) and will be placed inside a box approximately 3" wider than the Poker in all dimensions to allow for padding. If you are not located in the United States, I highly encourage you to look up the cost of shipping from Pointe-Claire, Quebec, H9R 5L9, Canada to your location using Canada Post (http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/personal/findARate?execution=e1s1) so that you have an estimate of what shipping will cost you so you know what to expect. If you pay for the case and then realize that you can't afford shipping later I won't be able to refund you, so make sure you know what you're getting into!

If you are located in the United States, I will be shipping all the cases out to someone in the US (probably mkawa) and then he will distribute them from within the US which will be much cheaper. You will then be charged the actual cost of shipping from within the US plus a fraction of the cost of me sending it to the US distributor. For example, if it costs me $100 to send out all the cases to the US distributor and there are 40 cases destined for the US you will pay $2.50 in addition to the local shipping cost.

If anybody is interested in being a distributor for another country to try and save money please talk about it amongst yourselves and let me know.

Ordering

If you want to order, please PM me with the following (address format for US residents, but please use an appropriate format for your country):

Geekhack account name
1x Aluminum case

John Smith
123 Fake Street
City, State 12345
Country

If you accidentally forget to include the "1x Aluminum case" I will assume that you only want one. That line is mostly for people who would want more than one.

You can then send money using Paypal to stephenpoconnor@gmail.com as a payment of goods. You will have to add the 2.9% + $0.30 Paypal fee for a total of $82.62 USD. Please include the same information in the Paypal note as you did in the PM.
(two cases would be $164.94, three cases would be $247.26)

I'll keep this open till about March 29th.

Order List

Total orders = 26 (+1 for myself and +1 for a local friend if I can find him a Poker to use it with. edit: found one for him!)

United States (17)
Autolyze - 1 - paid
Blackhawk19 - 1 - paid
boost - 1 - paid
Changdrew - 1 - paid
dippingriz - 3 - paid
ekw808 - 1 - paid
emptythecache - 1 - paid
Gawkbasher - 1 - paid
kisakuku - 2 - paid
metafour - 1 - paid
mkawa - 2 - paid
WRXChris - 1 - paid
zzspectrez - 1 - paid

Canada (2)
Elrobo - 1 - paid
elton5354 - 1 - paid

United Kingdom (1)
J-P - 1 - paid

Germany (1)
xauser - 1 - paid

Italy (1)
xbb - 1 - paid

Australia (3)
jinzo.pk3 - 1 - paid
jonnybastard - 1 - paid
KyesaRRi - 1 - paid

Thailand (1)
net2522 - 1 - paid
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 April 2012, 12:41:14 by oneproduct »
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline Changdrew

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 16:46:37 »
Pm'd, but will not be able to pay for a few days :(
CM Quickfire Rapid | Filco Majestouch 2 | Filco Linear R | Poker

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 17:15:30 »
Quote from: Changdrew;548126
Pm'd, but will not be able to pay for a few days :(

That's fine. As long as you can pay sometime within about a week it's no problem.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.

Offline metafour

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 17:17:13 »
If we buy two are they going to ship separately?

Offline morgofborg

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 17:26:28 »
Pm'ed and payment sent.

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 18:04:18 »
Where would one specify that he doesn't want it glued together because I will have the dip switch hole cut by a friend and Chrome dip it :D

Thanks

Sent from a phone...
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 18:23:59 »
Can you chrome aluminum?

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 19:00:41 »
Quote from: metafour;548152
If we buy two are they going to ship separately?

I'd probably ship them together, but if you want otherwise I could do so.

Quote from: boost;548189
Where would one specify that he doesn't want it glued together because I will have the dip switch hole cut by a friend and Chrome dip it :D

Just mention it in the PM and I'll leave it as two separate pieces for you.

Offline metafour

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 19:01:39 »
I'm just trying to estimate shipping costs.

Offline emptythecache

• out.
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 19:04:40 »
If we want these powdercoated when we get them, can you do that over the glass beading, or do we need to ask that it not be glass beaded?

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 19:11:18 »
Quote from: lightsout714;548206
Can you chrome aluminum?

I think so, if not ill have him powder coat it.

Also, when are you going to stop taking payment?

Sent from a phone...

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline Reptile

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 19:28:02 »
How much cleaner is the the final product going to be? Small touch ups from the prototype or a major difference?
Home:Realforce 87UB 55g
Work:Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears

Offline Elrobo

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 19:34:57 »
Will most likely PM in a day or two, any word on the insert being tacked down rather than glued (I know you mentioned the possibility, just wonder what will end up being "final spec"). Also will the insulating layer be attached to the plate or is it up to us to make sure it lines up/remove it on our own if we want to experiment or what?

Also anyone with a poker have the box handy for us trying to figure out shipping costs? I'm still waiting on mine but will probably be getting one of these to meet it here :)

Offline metafour

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 19:37:44 »
Poker box is 13" x 5" x 3.5" (length x depth x height)

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 19:58:28 »
Quote from: emptythecache;548244
If we want these powdercoated when we get them, can you do that over the glass beading, or do we need to ask that it not be glass beaded?

I have no idea, you'd have to ask whoever plans to organize the powercoating. Just remember that the surface will be scuffed from the work done during assembly, which was why I was getting it glass beaded in the first place. I'm not sure that powdercoating would hide the scuffing if that's something that bothers you.

Quote from: Reptile;548267
How much cleaner is the the final product going to be? Small touch ups from the prototype or a major difference?

For the most part it will be the same. In terms of visual differences the USB cutout will be cleaner and the glass beaded surface won't have the minor scratches that the prototype got from additional adjustments that were made to it.

Quote from: Elrobo;548273
Will most likely PM in a day or two, any word on the insert being tacked down rather than glued (I know you mentioned the possibility, just wonder what will end up being "final spec"). Also will the insulating layer be attached to the plate or is it up to us to make sure it lines up/remove it on our own if we want to experiment or what?

I'm going to try to push to get it tacked, because I like that a bit more. My point of contact was suggesting gluing but I think I might go against him there. Not that gluing is bad if it comes to it. It sounds unprofessional but this wouldn't be like simple glue that you use in preschool, there are sort of industrial strength bonding glues just for metal.

The insulating layer will be cut to have the holes that it needs for the screws and such to go from the pcb into the metal insert but wont me attached to the metal insert, you'll have to just line it up on your own as you screw the two together, which is a piece of cake.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 March 2012, 20:08:00 by oneproduct »

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 20:24:49 »
Last day taking payments?

Sent from a phone...

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 20:34:20 »
Any color options for the case?
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 20:41:45 »
nope.

but i think mkawa wants to provide a service to powdercoat the cases
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline emptythecache

• out.
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 21:06:01 »
pm'd and paid. I hope mkawa shows up soon to talk about powdercoating. Want me some gunmetal.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 21:21:19 »
Quote from: emptythecache;548352
pm'd and paid. I hope mkawa shows up soon to talk about powdercoating. Want me some gunmetal.

He was here, I think he said he would talk to the company monday.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 22:32:10 »
Quote from: boost;548309
Last day taking payments?

Sent from a phone...

I usually visit every Friday in person so I'd like to be able to submit the order then, so looking to get payments by Thursday next week.

Offline jonnybastard

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 22:32:41 »
Order & payment sent, if anyone else in Australia is getting in on this send me a PM and we may be able to work out something with shipping.
KMAC    -    HHKB Type-S    -    Filco TKL LineaR    -    Poker X    -    KBT Race LE

flickr

Offline KyesaRRi

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 23:05:27 »
Payment sent, yay!

jonnybastard how low do you think we can get the Aus shipping down? Its only $44.00~ for the slowest shipping option. Ill send you a PM and wait to see if any other Aussies get in on this.

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 23:09:55 »
ugh I dont even have a poker but I want this case..
[One Keyboard at a time]

Offline jellowiggler

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 23:45:41 »
If this was a cmstorm or filco I'd be sorely tempted.
Mike -jellowiggler-
Filco MJ2 Tenkeyless / Rosewill RK-9000 / IBM Model M 1391401 / Logitech DiNovo Edge / MS Sidewinder X4

Offline zzspectrez

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 00:29:48 »
pm'd for one! Will send payment early next week

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 01:34:42 »
i can't talk to the company until tuesday at the earliest; i most likely won't have final shipping quotes, color options etc. until end of next week at the earliest

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 08:45:36 »
So if it is purchased and a powder coating is used, would the ones that are coated all be sent to mkawa instead of the buyers, and once coated it would then be mailed out to the customers from mkawa?
[One Keyboard at a time]

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 10:10:41 »
Quote from: ekw808;548756
So if it is purchased and a powder coating is used, would the ones that are coated all be sent to mkawa instead of the buyers, and once coated it would then be mailed out to the customers from mkawa?

I'm pretty sure all US orders are going to mkawa.

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 10:13:23 »
Quote from: oneproduct;548446
I usually visit every Friday in person so I'd like to be able to submit the order then, so looking to get payments by Thursday next week.

Do this gb need 50pcs inorder to get them for $65?

Sent from a phone...

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 11:04:54 »
As long as were pretty close to that range it shouldn't be too much of a problem. If we only had 40pcs for example it would probably be fine as well. I'm hoping that we actually get to that amount, especially with the nice price it turned out to be. I've had two separate threads gauging interest and that seemed to be about the number of people who were interested. At some point I'll PM all the people who showed interest to make sure that they know about this thread, not everyone checks regularly.

Offline wilsongunawan

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 11:36:17 »
is there any update about the shipping to US? because i want it to be colored before it ship it to me.
Currrent : Siig minitouch <blue monterrey alps>, kbt-RACE <cherry mx-red> with green LED, Filco MJ2 <cherry mx-ergoClear>, IBM model M

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 11:39:45 »
put me down for 2 for now. i'll pm with details later in the week.

also, how do you feel about keeping the gb open one more week? i don't want to inconvenience your buddy's shop, but i also want us to get to 50 and have solid quotes for shipping and paint..

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 12:04:16 »
Okay, well I guess most orders will be from the US so couldn't do it without you anyways. Let me know when you're good, it can wait.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 12:06:07 »
k, thanks man

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 17:09:28 »
Quote from: oneproduct;548914
Okay, well I guess most orders will be from the US so couldn't do it without you anyways. Let me know when you're good, it can wait.

This closes on March, 30?

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 19:40:52 »
Seems it will be something like that.

Offline dippingriz

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 20:32:54 »
Put me down for two right now.  I'll post payment in a week or so.

EDIT: just one KB will repost
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 March 2012, 21:12:12 by dippingriz »

Offline Elrobo

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 18 March 2012, 05:12:09 »
Pm sent, payment away, awaiting ownership of my fallback zombie defense weapon for the office.

Offline seferphier

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 18 March 2012, 07:14:15 »
my only concern is the wielding on each of the corners that are visable on the edges. It kinda looks unfinished...

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 18 March 2012, 07:41:15 »
I'm probably going to get them to glass bead the top edge of the case as well so that it matches the outside of the case since the top edge is visible. That should help hide the discoloration that comes from welding.

Offline Gawkbasher

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 18 March 2012, 07:46:39 »
I guess ultimately I'm waiting to hear more from mkawa about specifics needed for powdercoating, but tentatively I'll order one.  PM incoming.
Topre Realforce 87U 45g / Logitech G9x / Razer Scarab
KBC Poker X (Blue)
/ KBC Poker X (Red)

Offline seferphier

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 18 March 2012, 09:01:47 »
Quote from: oneproduct;549606
I'm probably going to get them to glass bead the top edge of the case as well so that it matches the outside of the case since the top edge is visible. That should help hide the discoloration that comes from welding.

that would be great.

i was also wondering if it is easy to scratch the glass bead. yours looks really scratched up (which you explained was because it was a prototype). can it be scratched up by my finger nails?

Offline Autolyze

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 18 March 2012, 09:19:14 »
Paid! I'm almost interested in the powdercoating or whatever ends up happening.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 18 March 2012, 10:55:18 »
Quote from: seferphier;549626
i was also wondering if it is easy to scratch the glass bead. yours looks really scratched up (which you explained was because it was a prototype). can it be scratched up by my finger nails?

Just tried it with my nails and it doesn't scratch. I also tried it using a scrap piece of metal I had lying around (using an edge of it) and that will do it though of course, but that would be true about scratching any metal vs metal.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 18 March 2012, 11:30:58 »
Quote from: seferphier;549626
that would be great.

Its just aluminum. They shoot glass beads at it to etch the surface like sandblasting. Thats why it looks "scratched".

Offline zzspectrez

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 18 March 2012, 12:02:31 »
payment sent!

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 18 March 2012, 13:04:34 »
Uploaded a few more videos.
[video=youtube;wyIwWf45Dss]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyIwWf45Dss[/video][video=youtube;2YLtQF0Emf0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YLtQF0Emf0[/video][video=youtube;Me-Zr7lCpwY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me-Zr7lCpwY[/video][video=youtube;UO4_Eg6_E2s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO4_Eg6_E2s[/video]

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 18 March 2012, 13:26:24 »
do you like the sound better when typing?

when i first typed on my imsto case the sound was totally different. more of a thunk sound to it, especially the space bar. liked it better than when it was in the plastic case.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 18 March 2012, 13:36:38 »
Quote from: demik;549796
do you like the sound better when typing?

when i first typed on my imsto case the sound was totally different. more of a thunk sound to it, especially the space bar. liked it better than when it was in the plastic case.

Hmm, not sure. For sure the feel is better, but I can't even recall what it sounded like before it was in the metal case. My poker was sitting at the metal working shop for the past month or so before I got it back so I had kind of forgotten.