Author Topic: >>>>> Most durable mechanical keyboard? <<<<<  (Read 13280 times)

Offline jommer

>>>>> Most durable mechanical keyboard? <<<<<
« on: Sun, 13 May 2012, 16:31:05 »
Okay, I've decided it's logical to buy a mechanical keyboard that will last a LONG time, will I need hhkb or realforce just for that extra level of durability(if they're even famous for that)? or can I find regular brown switch with a very good durability for a cheaper price... I'd like this to last me at least 5 years

in no particular order

0. Solid build quality; little to no keycap rattle, solid quality feel to it
1. Prefer it to be brown switch
2. Strongly prefer keycaps to be replaceable(in case it breaks or w.e)
3. A good design? I need to be able to clean it easy for when **** gets stuck underneath although this may not be an issue for higher end designs (dont know if all mech keyboards are much easier to clean than non-mech as much; current keyboard gets heapsa **** stuck underneath and its a BIG pain to fully clean)
4. I'd prefer it to be <$200
5. I don't mind Otaku(its badass)
6. Strongly prefer no num pad(waste of space), so a compact design would be nice as long as the other keys aren't too cramped
7. if your going to recommend topre can you tell me the difference between brown and topre (briefly) because I'm a fast typer and would like the resistance force to be minimal but i'd like to know when I go past actuation point(that's why i don't want red switch)
8. media key shortcuts would be nice like next track, pause, volume etc... but this isn't really necessarily and technically any keyboard can be programmed to do this, can't it?

Offline Djuzuh

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 13 May 2012, 16:31:48 »
Model M hands down I suppose

Offline fraglord

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 13 May 2012, 16:56:53 »
I'm asking myself the same question since a few days as im going to buy my first mechanical keyboard.
So i focused on two devices: Cherry G80-3000LSC and some IBM Model M.
Would be nice if somebody experienced can give me a hint what's the pros and cons when you compare them.

Offline N8N

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 13 May 2012, 17:41:05 »
I think any cherry brown board would be good, so it comes down to mounting type (I prefer plate) and stabilisers (I prefer Costar) then finally reports of problems with the controller.

Pretty much any plate mount board will be of decent-ish quality; Rosewill is a screaming deal but there's lots of negative reviews floating around out there.  The two that don't seem to have bad reviews seem to be WASD and Filco; since you want tenkeyless that leaves Filco.  Or Leopold if you don't mind the Cherry stabilizers.

I'd also say that my old Wyse terminal board seems to be built like a tank, is similar to the newer boutique boards in just about every respect, and has delicious doubleshots.  But it is blacks, which you probably don't want...  (it obviously has lasted longer than five years though, showing that Cherry based boards can exhibit M-like durability; I'd say that "theoretically" a Cherry MX based board should be easier to keep going in the long run than an M being based on purely mechanical keyswitch units and not a membrane, and also their popularity seems likely to ensure a supply of replacement switches far into the future, although Unicomp is still making M parts available as well, so there ya go...

In short, find a board you like :)
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline slytown

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 13 May 2012, 17:51:18 »
For brown i would say leopold. I want to say Ducky but the imprints tend to fade quickly. Other than that Ducky and Filco are up there as well. The other thing to consider is the stabilizers and spacebar. Ducky uses MX black, at least the 9008 version.
List of my keyboards: Ducky OCN Edition 9008 G2 (ABS, browns), Thermaltake Meka G1 (ABS, blacks), PFU Happy Hacking Professional 2 (PBT, Topre 45g uniform, "Otaku")

Teamliquid.net Mechanical Keyboard Guide

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 13 May 2012, 19:03:08 »
Quote from: Djuzuh;591847
this
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline StaCT13

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 13 May 2012, 19:17:49 »
If you're going just for tank-like durability, get a Model M, possibly a Space Saver if you can find one for a decent price. However, you mention that you'd like brown switches, and you type quickly and would like minimal resistance. Due to that, I think you should be looking at the more well-known (and higher quality) TKL boards. Leopold is what I have, seeing as it's a great TKL board for the price, but do remember that it has a proprietary spacebar, so that would limit your replacing it,say, if it started to shine. I found that Leopold keys are amazingly resistant to shining, but that might just be my board. Filco's definitely a great choice, probably what I'd recommend, although pretty expensive, relative to other Cherry brown boards. You might also wish to look into the higher-end Duckys, but I personally have no experience with them.

In general, though, mechanical keyboards tend to be much higher quality than rubber domes. You needn't worry too much over the durability of it, get one mostly for the feel.

ErgoDox Classic Aluminium (MX Reds) | Leopold TKL Otaku (MX Browns) | Rosewill RK-9000 (MX Blues) | Dell AT101W (Alps Black)

Happily typing in Dvorak

Offline ShakeR

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://mechanicalkeyboards.com
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 13 May 2012, 19:58:02 »
If you were to go by slogans, you'd have to get a Deck "The Last Keyboard You'll Ever Buy" ;)

Also, if you wanted pure durability in the sense of - "Can I throw a glass of water on it?", I would recommend an Azio Mech4 ;)
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 May 2012, 20:00:19 by ShakeR »
MechanicalKeyboards.com - What do you type on?

Offline jommer

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 14 May 2012, 01:48:28 »
Any experiences with the quality of rf topre vs a leopold or filco?

Offline squarebox

• In Omnia Paratus
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 14 May 2012, 01:54:40 »
Proved through time:
- Model M
- Cherry G80-3000

New comers:
- Filco
Filco Yellow Edition  | Filco Brown | Filco 2 Brown TKL | G80-1950 | G80-3494 | G80-11900 | Leopold FC500R | Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline Tony

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 14 May 2012, 01:56:01 »
I have an IBM Model M (buckling spring) and a Compaq MX 11800 (brown switch), both are near 30 years old, and still working. I will put them on my will to leave them to my children.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline jommer

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 14 May 2012, 02:44:57 »
Quote from: Tony;592154
I have an IBM Model M (buckling spring) and a Compaq MX 11800 (brown switch), both are near 30 years old, and still working. I will put them on my will to leave them to my children.

can you compare the feel of noppoo choc to filco? which feels more solid, nicer to type?

Offline stingrae

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 14 May 2012, 04:17:57 »
Quote from: jommer;592173
can you compare the feel of noppoo choc to filco? which feels more solid, nicer to type?

I find the standard layout feels better but used a brown filco vs a red noppoo. The filco is sturdier and feels just a little bit better, the noppoo keys feel a bit more unstable. The outer casing also feels more 'together' on the filco. Realisticly there's no reason not to get a Noppoo if you like the layout as the feel will be simmilar for the same switch type. I'd buy another of both if I had the cash. These are mostly opinions though so take them with a grain of salt.
Filco Ninja Tenkeyless  -Noppoo Choc MiniCm Storm Quickfire Rapid

Offline jommer

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 14 May 2012, 05:19:22 »
I really want to get a filco brown but I came across this post "Not only Topre beat Filco in the quality department hands down, the Topre switches absolutely destroy browns. I just don't get their popularity, I guess I'm in the minority. "

I know its just an opinion, but can anyone disagree with this? As that guy implies the durability/quality is on another level...

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 14 May 2012, 07:15:20 »
TypeNow Solid is Pretty Solid
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline urbanus

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 14 May 2012, 07:27:22 »
Quote from: jommer;592202
I really want to get a filco brown but I came across this post "Not only Topre beat Filco in the quality department hands down, the Topre switches absolutely destroy browns. I just don't get their popularity, I guess I'm in the minority. "

I know its just an opinion, but can anyone disagree with this? As that guy implies the durability/quality is on another level...

Sorry, I find it impossible to disagree with this.  :)  Cherry MX switches are good, but they're not in the same league as Topre.

A lot of people like MX Brown, and that's cool, but IMHO the tactility of the Brown is marginal and somewhat scratchy.  For me, Brown feels like Red but with a bit of annoying grit in the key mechanism.

Offline noog

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 14 May 2012, 08:19:12 »
model m with double floss mod = brown feel. Done and done.

Offline Tony

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 14 May 2012, 09:11:50 »
Quote from: jommer;592173

IMHO Filco feels more solid and nicer to type on, but more expensive. If you have the money, go for Filco. It is excellent investment in the longterm, ie you use it full time for your work and you type a lot in your career.

If you want something cheaper to use right away or to experiment what a mechanical keyboard can offer, a Choc mini, Choc Pro, or PLU may be good.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 14 May 2012, 16:50:18 »
Quote from: Djuzuh;591847

Have to add something to this, I previosly agreed with this post, but if not Model M, then a nice Unicomp will be no less than a tank that the original Model M is.

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 14 May 2012, 17:57:08 »
Quote from: ripster;592332
I know I said I didn't have time to post in your thread in the PM but now I do

Just get the Filco.  But don't PM me why.  pms make me grumpy - heh heh.
Now I know why people were saying you are self centered person, I did had doubts but every time I see your posts you over appreciate your self. Hello, earth to Ripster, relax, chill, go do your wife instead your Filco's and IBM's and sun will start shining again down south, right behind your butt crack....

Offline squarebox

• In Omnia Paratus
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 14 May 2012, 19:40:58 »
Topre = 30 million key life cycle
Cherry = 50 million key life cycle

Topre fans must be outraged...
I understand that Topre fans would find any reason to make their keyboard feel more worth it but Cherry have be tested and proven through time.
Filco Yellow Edition  | Filco Brown | Filco 2 Brown TKL | G80-1950 | G80-3494 | G80-11900 | Leopold FC500R | Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 14 May 2012, 19:59:09 »
How exactly DO they test those key lifecycles?

Offline squarebox

• In Omnia Paratus
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 14 May 2012, 21:13:39 »
Probably using a machine to press the key to the point of failure spanning over 1000 switches and take the average?
But one thing for sure, switches will fail from mechanical failure once over it's normal operation frequency. Hz or number of actuation per second.

I wonder if our benevolent Ripster will make such a machine someday to end this myth and add it to the wiki.

Offline isp

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 14 May 2012, 21:30:54 »
model m
hhkb

Offline limmy

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 14 May 2012, 21:59:08 »
Quote from: jommer;592202

Here is my opinion on Topre vs Cherry.

Pros of Topre:
- Topre has better keycaps and their lettering doesn't stain or peel off like filco. (Topre use dye sub method)
- Relatively problem free. (I seldom hear a case where Topre board doesn't work properly, whereas chattering is pretty common in Cherry)
- Quality you can expect from things made in Japan.

Cons of Topre:
- Expensive like most of things made in Japan.
- Rubber ages relatively quickly compared to parts in Cherry switches and there is nothing a user can do to stop this or mitigate the issue(no replacement parts). The only parts available to users are keycaps and they are very expensive.
- Not as durable as Cherry (30million key strokes vs 50mil; after some time of use friction builds up whereas frictions in Cherry switches are rarely an issue.)

Despite the cons, I chose Topre as my main board. I learned how to lube and take care of my Topre, so some of the cons are not as much a deal. And I prefer rubber to spring because springs push harder as you press them and I don't like it.

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 14 May 2012, 22:42:45 »
Probably get a hall effect switch keyboards. Something with hundreds of millions of activations and dust + liquid resistance.
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 14 May 2012, 23:48:53 »
Quote from: jommer;591846
I'd like this to last me at least 5 years

As long as you don't spill anything on it, you should get 5 years out of any mech keyboard.  I've seen 80 000 hours listed as mean time between failures on cherry pos boards.  That's over 9 years of constant use.

If you're like us, you'll find it difficult to pick your first board, but it gets easier for your 2nd, 3rd, 4th...  

If you can't try before you buy, get something cheap on ebay and if you don't like it, sell it on.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline NeeGo

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 02:06:13 »
It's clear that the OP does not want the Model M since it's been mentioned about 10 times already yet the OP chooses to either ignore it or not include it in any of his posts in this thread. It doesn't meet one or few of his eight criteria so ironically, there's no point in suggesting a Model M in a thread called "Most durable mechanical keyboard?".

Get a Topre; it's made in Japan. And the price will prevent you from buying any more keyboards within the near future.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 May 2012, 02:09:51 by NeeGo »

Offline Forin

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 04:52:08 »
Quote from: limmy;592944
Here is my opinion on Topre vs Cherry.

Pros of Topre:
- Topre has better keycaps and their lettering doesn't stain or peel off like filco. (Topre use dye sub method)

Topre might have better STOCK keycaps since it uses PBT ones (except SPACE which is ABS..), but when it comes to aftermarket keycaps Cherry has an edge because there are more Group Buys for MX boards, more options and Cherry keycaps are cheaper (PBT obviously too).
Ducky DK1087 MX Brown, Filco MJ1 Tenkeyless MX Blue, CM Storm MX Blue

Offline urbanus

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 05:31:54 »
Quote from: squarebox;592830
Topre = 30 million key life cycle
Cherry = 50 million key life cycle

Topre fans must be outraged...
I understand that Topre fans would find any reason to make their keyboard feel more worth it but Cherry have be tested and proven through time.

If you say so, but I'm not feeling a great deal of outrage.

For me, key life cycle is simply not a huge issue.  I've had cheap rubber domes that have lasted years; and I've got model Ms that are now *decades* old and still going strong -- despite having a key life cycle of "only" 25 million keystrokes (less than Topre, technically).  

I would still buy Topre and Cherry boards, even if they only lasted 12 months, because of the typing experience.  Think about it: most people spend hundreds on shoes, and replace them every year.  I spend more time online than walking each day, so why shouldn't I spend a proportionate amount on the health and comfort of my hands and arms?

If I were going to live in the Antarctic for five years and I could only take one keyboard with me, I would care a lot about durability.  But I'm not so I don't.  Get it into perspective: it's not a big issue.

Offline feteru

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 16:13:56 »
Although it fits almost none of your criteria, I hear that the Thermaltake Meka G1 is one of the most solidly built boards available (except for the wrist wrest). Only problem for you is that it is full size and MX Blacks. In all seriousness, just get a Filco. It should last your five years, and will be a great board if the quality is like my Das (which I hear is comparable)