Author Topic: Keycool taobao  (Read 9417 times)

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
Keycool taobao
« on: Wed, 30 May 2012, 12:18:59 »
So I ordered a White Limited Edition Keycool 87 with clears today through Lin from EN Taobao.

Turns out, Keycool have a free giveaway with certain orders.
You can pick one of five cheap gifts:
- A colored keycool/leopold spacebar
- A set of red, black, brown and blue cherry MX switches to try
- a keyboard duster
- cable holder
- cable management kit

Now I know it's not much, but especially the spacebar and the sample switches are quite nice.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Keycool taobao
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 30 May 2012, 12:26:20 »
Interesting - what was the total with shipping? Does it have 6-kro?

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
Keycool taobao
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 30 May 2012, 12:26:56 »
Nice. How long will it take to receive?
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
Keycool taobao
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 30 May 2012, 16:17:13 »
In store it costs 488 RMB, so around €62,-, but with domestic shipping fee, service fee and paypal handling fee it comes to €72.
It is a limited edition so it is more expensive. My previous Keycool with browns from Qtan was €71 with international shipping included.
This one does not.

For shipping this one I chose DHL because shipping is faster (3-5 workdays) and it should be less likely to incur a customs fee that way. China post was a cheaper option but would take almost 3 weeks.
I am awaiting the final price and will keep you posted. :)

@Keyboardlover: Through a custom controller it even has 21-key rollover (albeit with some ghosting), full n-key with the included usb>ps/2 adapter.
Nice extras are the ability to switch off the windows key and media shortcuts through an FN-layer on the F-keys.
I really liked my current Key Cool with browns, but prefer the feel of my clears. So I intend to switch the case on them to get a black case with white keys. :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 May 2012, 16:21:17 by JaccoW »
|||My other keyboards :
More
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline hamza_tm

Keycool taobao
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 08 June 2012, 05:57:56 »
How much was shipping by DHL mate?

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
Keycool taobao
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 08 June 2012, 11:28:03 »
Alright I would love to hear that. Shipping to Europe was €31.47 or €31.87 through DHL because the total package was 1,5 Kg.
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
Some pictures!
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 09:46:52 »
Finally arrived and it is quite a beauty. :)

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 52880[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 52881[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 52882[/ATTACH]
Nothing special on the outside...
It doesn't even look all that different from my Keycool 87 with browns...

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 52883[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 52884[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 52885[/ATTACH]
But on the inside is the Limited Edition 'Year of the Dragon' Keycool 87 with clears!
Plate mounted for a very sturdy feel and costar stabilizers.
The colour is not bright white. More like off-white, bordering on cream. I have tried to set the white balance correctly to show you the colour.
With intermittent sun and clouds this might vary a bit. Sorry about that.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 52886[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 52887[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 52890[/ATTACH]
The box doesn't say what what the keys are made of, but they appear to be lasered ABS according to this simple test.
The quality of the lasering seems to be okay, with the notable exception of the Internet Logo on the F2-key. Not that I mind, since I plan on replacing this row with billiard double shots.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 52888[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 52889[/ATTACH]
The underside is quite similar to the original Keycool 87. The feet however have gotten a minor upgrade by adding some nice rubber to prevent slipping. Nice.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 52891[/ATTACH]
So, what extras does this thing have? Just the normal set for keycool.
A red Esc, lavender WASD, salmon arrow-keys (which don't have the awful font of the original white ones), a keypuller, USB to PS/2 converter and replacement parts for the Costar Stabilizers.
Quite decent I would say.

Now the following ones are not part of the original package, but part of ordering through Taobao from Keycool directly.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 52892[/ATTACH]
I expected to only get the red spacebar (choice of different colours avaibale), but as it turns out they provide you with a whole package!
A dust brush to clean in between keys, two velcro bands for the detachable cable, a cable guide, a compatible spacebar and...
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 52893[/ATTACH]
A set of switches for plate mounting with blank red keycaps?
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 52893[/ATTACH]
Not just any set, a set of the four main switches to try!
Cherry blue, black, red and brown. (sorry, the brown is hardly visible in this picture but it is the top-right one)

All in all a very nice package with a free set of accessories worth of probably at least $7-10.
(note: I do not see the accessories on their site anymore, so I have no idea if the offer still stands. You would have to ask Lin about that)

Now, the idea was to switch the case of the black one I have to get white keys on a black case for the added cool-factor.
Maybe I'll even order some white side printed pbt keycaps and replace them with those.

Expect a full review and a video comparing the sound of these clears with browns and the clears on my Deck Legend. (Hint: the seem a lot quieter)
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 June 2012, 15:02:37 by JaccoW »
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
Keycool taobao
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 10:02:13 »
Also just found a Noppoo Choc Mini alternative from them as well.
Prices ranging from 378 to 408 RMB. Which is about $60-65 excl. shipping. Which is, even with shipping, still cheaper than the Noppoo.
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline hamza_tm

Keycool taobao
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 10:08:14 »
Wouldn't just swapping the keys instead of the case do the same thing?

And tell us what you think of clears!!

The 84 key looks great, a Choc Mini but with nice caps :)

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
Keycool taobao
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 10:19:22 »
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 52895[/ATTACH]
Damn, you tell me. At first I was thinking of white keys on black, but I like the other one a lot better!
But that spacebar is too nice with the dragon logo.
What to do? :S
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline GeorgeStorm

Keycool taobao
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 10:55:16 »
So how much was each board including shipping?
The clears are tempting me, really badly :P

And I think the white on black looks far better :)
Poker with blacks
My flickr

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
Keycool taobao
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 11:28:10 »
I would have to look up the exact prices, but the browns were $66 for the board and $22 for shipping through Qtan.
The clears, being a special edition, were €72 (about $90 in today's money) with the fee included and €31 (@1.5kg to Europe) for shipping through Lin.

In the end I believe I paid €80 for the browns and €100 for the clears everything included. A 25% premium, but it was a special order and they are rarer switches so I am fine with that.
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline REVENGE

Keycool taobao
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 12:45:54 »
Quote from: JaccoW;613303
Also just found a Noppoo Choc Mini alternative from them as well.
Prices ranging from 378 to 408 RMB. Which is about $60-65 excl. shipping. Which is, even with shipping, still cheaper than the Noppoo.
Goddamit, it specs 21KRO via USB. >_<
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline GeorgeStorm

Keycool taobao
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 12:56:38 »
I am very tempted by the clears board, shipping is a bit steep though :/
Poker with blacks
My flickr

Offline hamza_tm

Keycool taobao
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 13:05:01 »
What's the quality of the Keycool like?

You probably told me this but I forgot :D

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
Keycool taobao
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 14:53:24 »
It's a solid board, the only 'lesser' part are the keycaps. Black ones are pad-printed ABS, white ones are lasered and feel very smooth. By the times these caps wear out you can easily replace them with practically anything with the exception of the spacebar.
But those seem to be getting either more common or there are alternatives available.
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
Keycool taobao
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 14:55:34 »
Quote from: Raging Salmon;613446
Costars son!

Mine should be here no later than Monday.

If I like the quality I will reboot a Group Buy on this and see if we can clean out the remaining holder of these boards.  I tried this before and failed - but with Lin on board it should be much more doable.
Nice! :) I really like the feel of this board. Who did you end up ordering it from?

Quote from: REVENGE;613450
Goddamit, it specs 21KRO via USB. >_<
Which is good or bad?

It 'only' does 21-key under usb with ghosting, but while the Noppoo doesn't work under Mac, the keycool does seem to work because of a different controller.
Quote from: GeorgeStorm;613459
I am very tempted by the clears board, shipping is a bit steep though :/
Try Qtan, he can probably ship it to the UK much cheaper, like $20 or so. It will still arrive in 10 days or less.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 June 2012, 15:28:37 by JaccoW »
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline GeorgeStorm

Keycool taobao
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 16:37:29 »
qtan doesn't stock the clears though ;)
Poker with blacks
My flickr

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
Keycool taobao
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 17:02:45 »
Quote from: GeorgeStorm;613630
qtan doesn't stock the clears though ;)
That is true, but he too is a Taobao agent. ;)
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline REVENGE

Keycool taobao
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 22:50:50 »
Quote from: JaccoW;613551
the keycool does seem to work because of a different controller.
Really? This has been verified?
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
Keycool taobao
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 15 June 2012, 03:36:08 »
Quote from: Raging Salmon;613793
yeah but I doubt he is as hot as Lin
You have to compromise somewhere. :P
Quote from: REVENGE;613827
Really? This has been verified?
According to this review:
BTW, I had tried the keyboard with a MBA. Surprisingly it works on Mac(though the F keys(F12) and its function(I tested out dimming backlit of the screen) is somehow different from MBA's built in KB). Another surprise is that the USB 20+KRO thing seems to still apply on Mac system(I only tested till around 10+ keys, didn't check if ghosting occured), I tried to press and hold some keys and continue pressing, it still registering extra keys(which the default keyboard on MBA stop as of the 3rd keys).
So the Noppoo clone has not been tested yet, but because of what seems to be a similar controller (21-key rollover) chances are good it behaves similarly.
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline REVENGE

Keycool taobao
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 15 June 2012, 11:49:08 »
Quote from: JaccoW;613947
So the Noppoo clone has not been tested yet, but because of what seems to be a similar controller (21-key rollover) chances are good it behaves similarly.
That was my guess, I doubt it works without ghosting.
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
Keycool taobao
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 18 June 2012, 21:02:46 »
Quote from: Raging Salmon;616641
Ok I got mine (Keycool 87 w/ Clears) tonight.

I'm still messing with it but I feel good enough to start a Group Buy soon.

The white color is NOT bad at all!  After seeing the photos in this thread I was dreading the purchase of it - but actually like it a lot - in fact I wouldn't bother with the black version.

Even though it was confirmed in photos I'll confirm it again - this has costar style stabilizers!

What is the most surprising thing about typing on it?  WAY - waaaaaaaay - waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more quiet than the Deck.  It's a night and day difference.  The Deck was pingy on every single key - while this damn quiet.  Although Keycool might be classified as a budget board it feels higher quality than the Deck!

Any complaints?  I might want get a tactile gray switch soldered on the space bar (my hands like it rough.)

Other than that I can't wait to take it to work tomorrow!

Waiting on pricing from the seller but I should have a group buy started in the next week or too.

Looking forward to it!
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
Keycool taobao
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 20 June 2012, 02:55:18 »
Quote from: Raging Salmon;616641
Ok I got mine (Keycool 87 w/ Clears) tonight.

[...]
Excellent. So you have a Deck with clears as well?
The white colour is difficult to photograph and depends heavily on the light. Right now in a cool morning light it is very white, but the pictures earlier were taken in a warm afternoon sun. Even white balance can't help that it seems.
I do agree that even though it is supposed to be a budget board, it feels very high quality. Maybe not Deck quality, but very good nonetheless.
What did shipping cost you?
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline Chicken Chaser

Keycool taobao
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 20 June 2012, 08:52:08 »
I know this has been asked a million times, but does the keycool's space bar accept filco or leopold fc200r space bars? Or is it in its own world with the fc500 and fc700?

Also, for the group buy would we get all the extra goodies like the OP did?
Leopold TKL Blues || Leopold TKL Reds || Filco TKL Ninja Browns

Offline therecorder

Keycool taobao
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 23 June 2012, 08:44:29 »
Quote from: Raging Salmon;617854
I believe FC500/FC700.  Which wouldn't be bad if EK released PBT keysets.  Even if they don't the keys are relatively easy to mod or you can buy an entire ABS set for like $10USD on Taobao.

Yes, in a group buy you would get the goodies (including additional colored space bar.)  However I may get the goodies ahead of time so first come first served.

I will know more about a group buy in the next couple of days.

I don't really understand the "group buy" concept.  Just told Qtang to order one of these for me.  How would I benefit from a group buy?

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
Keycool taobao
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 23 June 2012, 08:57:52 »
A groupbuy can be cheaper, but it seems Raging Salmon stopped it because people pulled out?
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline therecorder

Keycool taobao
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 23 June 2012, 09:01:43 »
Quote from: JaccoW;620226
A groupbuy can be cheaper, but it seems Raging Salmon stopped it because people pulled out?

Thanks...

Offline dko2o

Keycool taobao
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 23 June 2012, 11:34:44 »
Hmm the noppoo alternative seems good. What do you think of the quality of the Keycool cases?

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
Keycool taobao
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 23 June 2012, 13:15:51 »
Quote from: dko2o;620284
Hmm the noppoo alternative seems good. What do you think of the quality of the Keycool cases?
There is nothing wrong with the case. Especially with this one and the rubber feet.
The only thing that could be improved is the way they are connected, plastic clips.
But I have taken them apart a few times already and the board itself is connected with two screws so all assembled it feels solid.
You just need to be carefull with the tools you pick. For me the flathead screwdriver on my pocketknife was broad enough and rounded at the edges. Barely any chance of damages.

EDIT: I pulled most of the images from the Keycool website (the connection from there is very slow here) and you can see most of the details.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53772[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53773[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53774[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53775[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53776[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53777[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53778[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53779[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53780[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53781[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53782[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53783[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53784[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53785[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53786[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53787[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53788[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53789[/ATTACH]
Notice the detachable cable, lack of screws on the outside and rubberised feet.
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 June 2012, 13:45:18 by JaccoW »
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline el2k

Keycool taobao
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 23 June 2012, 13:36:43 »
Is the offer still standing?

Anyone know if Qtan can get me one with all the freebies still? I'm in the UK.
sc00pz for life