Author Topic: N-key rollover test.  (Read 193205 times)

Offline itlnstln

N-key rollover test.
« Reply #350 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 09:13:40 »
I never visit AVSForum anymore.  I can't stand wading through hundreds of "me too" and "has anyone fixed this yet" posts.  It's hard to find what you are looking for there.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
N-key rollover test.
« Reply #351 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 11:45:20 »
Quote from: itlnstln;166122
I never visit AVSForum anymore.  I can't stand wading through hundreds of "me too" and "has anyone fixed this yet" posts.  It's hard to find what you are looking for there.

Me too. Uh, I mean [where's the delete post button?]
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline xyzyx3

N-key rollover test.
« Reply #352 on: Tue, 30 March 2010, 19:49:12 »
Logitech Ultra-X Flat Keyboard Black
Interface: USB
Max keys: 6 (ASDJKL)

Gonna try PS2 when I get the adapter as I'm having some troubles with quick keystrokes like cd -> dc sometimes and exit -> xeit, etc, maybe it'll get better or I'll continue my search for a new keyboard.

Btw, great forum been lurking here the past two nights :)

Offline JBert

N-key rollover test.
« Reply #353 on: Thu, 01 April 2010, 16:12:06 »
Quote from: ripster;168185

Well, in case anybody wanders in here ignore the OP and use this:

MINIMUM score is what you want to report. Maximum keys registered doesn't tell you much since most keyboards can register 6 keys maximum.

Also DO NOT USE THE TEST in the OP. It doesn't register arrow keys. Wish iMav were around to change the link to THE BETTER TEST ------>>>> http://random.xem.us/rollover.html

Try squashing ASX. If you pass you just beat the venerable IBM Model M.

For 6-key bragging rights try CTRL-QWAZX.

(wow, I didn't know you could nest quotes)
Sure you can. It's just that the forum strips them away when creating a new post in an attempt to avoid mail-list-esque quote wrecks.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
N-key rollover test.
« Reply #354 on: Thu, 01 April 2010, 16:39:46 »
Quote from: JBert;168737
Sure you can. It's just that the forum strips them away when creating a new post in an attempt to avoid mail-list-esque quote wrecks.

And we must be thankful for this, as newsgroup-type quote wrecks are truly terrible things, especially when the reader (the interface, not the person) is doing a bad job segmenting things visually.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline Arc'xer

N-key rollover test.
« Reply #355 on: Fri, 02 April 2010, 19:49:17 »
Not sure if this has been mentioned, seems like an interesting NKRO test. http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=118245

Found this while reading around.

I first learned about this idea from 4chan, someone on /v/ did it, but I remembered that the phrase "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog," has all the 26 letters of the alphabet in it. What I learned was it can be used as a way of testing keyboards. The idea of the test is to hold in both shift keys and type the phrase. I guess performance is based on how many characters show up. This probably doesn't directly matter for gaming, but it's kind of fun just to compare results, I think.

Also, I did a lot of forum searches, didn't find this anywhere, so if it did exist, my apologies, I tried.

Try either typing the whole alphabet or the above phrase with both shift keys held down.

I'll try both:

ABDFGHJKLNSTY - alphabet

THKBNFJDOTHLAYDG - The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.

Laptop keyboard on an HP Pavillion dv5z. Wow...

My current keyboard Microsoft internet pro which is PS/2 and does 4-key. Been waiting on the 87-linear to get back in stock.

MsIP=ACDEGIJLNRSTUVWY and TE UIC RWN  JUED VER TE LAY DG

Offline Arc'xer

N-key rollover test.
« Reply #356 on: Fri, 02 April 2010, 20:44:28 »
Quote from: ripster;169118
OK, I'm game:

The Quick Brown Fox Jumps over da lazy dog an dat boil on mah ass.

You do realize that the double shift test is the stupidest keyboard test ever?  As proven here as well.

Okay then, I'll delete it.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
N-key rollover test.
« Reply #357 on: Fri, 02 April 2010, 20:52:46 »
Quote from: kishy;168738
And we must be thankful for this, as newsgroup-type quote wrecks are truly terrible things, especially when the reader (the interface, not the person) is doing a bad job segmenting things visually.
Crappy software, crappy output - surprise surprise. (Haven't had any issues with 40tude Dialog or Seamonkey Mail / Thunderbird. Let's not even mention Ouchlook Excess.)
And yes, sensible quoting is a bit of an art. It is, however, far from unmanageable once you grasp the basic principles (maintain just enough context plus attribution). Yours truly spent part of his youth on Usenet, mostly de.*.

As for the "alphabet with both shift keys" test, a vintage G80-3000 (old Cherry matrix, 2KRO) gives:
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
And a Model M:
ABDEFGHIJKLNOPQRSUW
HE QUIK BROWN FO JUPS OER HE LA DOG

Incidentally, any keyboard that shows blocking on this test cannot have more than 2KRO capability, as obviously things go wrong beyond 2 keys.

It doesn't seem to be a terribly meaningful test. (EDIT: As already discussed now. Always on the trailing edge...) The old Cherry matrix actually isn't all that great (with the Model M one being more practical), even though it'll accept all 4 arrow keys at once and apparently took the separation of modifiers quite seriously. It's impressive vertically (e.g. accepts WESDXC) but won't do more than QW or WE horizontally. I guess it still beats a number of more recent "cost-cutting matrices".

Thinking about it some more... seems that IF a 'board does exhibit blocking here, this test gives sort of a "fingerprint" of the matrix, at least for the alphanumeric area. "HE QUIK BROWN FO JUPS OER HE LA DOG" will always be a Model-M style matrix etc.. That, and a result like "THKBNFJSTHLAYDG" probably indicates a matrix that has sucky rollover capabilities in general.
Occasionally there seem to be some misbehaving 'boards as well - the worst I've seen in that thread so far, a "HP probook 4510s", gives "Thce zqmu;ixwk bvr:oxwn f:oxw jmumu:oced :ovrcevr thce lazqy d:og" (ghosting anyone? That thing should be called "Failbook").

So what do we have here...
M-style matrices still are quite common, in both unspectacular generic and gaming boards. One of them is the Saitek Eclipse 2.
Ones that only miss the X also appear commonly. Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 seems to be one of them.
"HE QUIC BROWN OX UMP OVER HE Z OG" seems to be Logitech (e.g. Classic 200) department. Similar on a few other cheapies.
Logitech G15 v1 does well, G15 v2 not so much. Well, I think we already knew the v2 was a downgrade...
Both MS and Logitech boards have widely varying matrices. Who knows how many OEMs they have.
THKBNFJSTHLAYDG, not that rare, seems to belong to a HP Pavillion dv6 and some Gateway notebook at least.
H CK BN FX JMS V H LAZ DG and similar is Apple 'board department. Acer (6511-V) inside?
TE UIC RWN JUS VER TE LAY DG and such is not that rare, no clue what that belongs to.
Then there still seem to be several other matrices out there. Fun.
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 April 2010, 22:29:52 by keyb_gr »
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline Mental Hobbit

N-key rollover test.
« Reply #358 on: Sat, 03 April 2010, 08:40:10 »
Hey, that test spreads the evil seed of doubt among heathens. So it is useful. :biggrin1:
Typing on blues.

Offline KloroFormd

N-key rollover test.
« Reply #359 on: Wed, 07 April 2010, 22:19:41 »
Got my Logitech G110 as a replacement for my Illuminated Keyboard a while back.  Sorry for the delay.

Interface: USB

Max:  6+3 (ASXZWE+ALT+CTRL+SHIFT)
Min:  2 (ZXC and MKL fails, didn't test this one thoroughly.)

Offline AvengeR

N-key rollover test.
« Reply #360 on: Sun, 25 April 2010, 19:30:52 »
Quote from: ripster;173778
Here's a browser based test for people wanting to try the rollover capabilities of their keyboard.

From the Microsoft R&D team. LINK.

It doesn't have the FCN keys or ALT (weird) but anyway test this:

1.  ASX
2.  ASZ

In a FPS imagine a diagonal retreat and trying to Radio.

The app is a bit flakey (stops working randomly like most Microsoft products) but pretty intuitive.

then http://random.xem.us/rollover.html remains the best test?

Offline Rajagra

N-key rollover test.
« Reply #361 on: Sun, 25 April 2010, 21:52:08 »
Quote from: AvengeR;175971
then http://random.xem.us/rollover.html remains the best test?

That may be the best web-based app for counting number of keys down, but Aqua'S Key Test is better for seeing what's happening (and you do see some weird things happening sometimes.)

EDIT> Seems hard to locate the program now. I've put a copy at http://www.g-ray.co.uk/keyboards/AquaKeyTest.zip

(I have Kapersky Internet Security on the PC I uploaded from, it says the file (and my PC) is clean, but I take responsibility for nothing beyond that.)
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 April 2010, 22:07:42 by Rajagra »

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
N-key rollover test.
« Reply #362 on: Thu, 27 May 2010, 15:29:55 »
I put the three nkey tests on one page for convenience

http://gadzikowski.com/nkeyrollover.html

Offline JBert

N-key rollover test.
« Reply #363 on: Thu, 27 May 2010, 16:03:12 »
Shouldn't you add a link to a program like the Aqua keytest? My browser's plugins muck up these tests.

Also, don't forget to quote ripster's instructions: it's the minimum set of keys when ghosting starts to happen that counts.

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
N-key rollover test.
« Reply #364 on: Thu, 27 May 2010, 16:15:01 »
Great ideas

EDIT: done.
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 May 2010, 16:35:04 by ricercar »

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
N-key rollover test.
« Reply #365 on: Thu, 27 May 2010, 16:49:55 »
I don't know what you're referring to. There are only two tests on the page.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
N-key rollover test.
« Reply #366 on: Thu, 27 May 2010, 17:28:47 »
Roger 6 key.

Offline Moth

• Acherontia atropos
N-key rollover test.
« Reply #367 on: Thu, 03 June 2010, 12:43:55 »
This may be a noob question, but using these tests, the Pause/Break key on my Filco won't stay held down. Is this normal behavior?

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
N-key rollover test.
« Reply #368 on: Thu, 03 June 2010, 12:58:42 »
I don't know what's normal in an n-key test, but Pause/Break doesn't send a break code, so funky behaviour should be expected of that specific key.
kishy.ca

Offline Moth

• Acherontia atropos
N-key rollover test.
« Reply #369 on: Thu, 03 June 2010, 19:27:14 »
Thanks for the responses guys.

Using both http://random.xem.us/rollover.html and the Microsoft Demo give me the same result. The Pause/Break key will light up for a millisecond but won't stay held down. Anyone care to test their Filco and see if it's the same?

BTW: I'm on a FKBN104MC/EB

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
N-key rollover test.
« Reply #370 on: Thu, 03 June 2010, 20:40:52 »
Quote from: ripster;189376
I mean, at SOME point Pause has to send a break code.

Nope...not the way it works, according to what I've seen implied here and there.
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 June 2010, 20:43:03 by kishy »
kishy.ca

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
N-key rollover test.
« Reply #371 on: Thu, 03 June 2010, 22:07:34 »
Learn something new every day...
kishy.ca

Offline type_dancer

N-key rollover test.
« Reply #372 on: Fri, 04 June 2010, 00:17:28 »
Does this count as a test?

P.S. So glad I don't have a Toyota car let alone the imaginary keyboard!
1-20-1993 Model M 51G8572 & Corsair Vengeance K90

Offline Moth

• Acherontia atropos
N-key rollover test.
« Reply #373 on: Fri, 04 June 2010, 01:01:37 »
Quote from: ripster;189376
Filco Blue Cherry. Same result as my 87U.

I mean, at SOME point Pause has to send a break code.

I suspect it's your computer, not the keyboard.

I'm using the PS/2 adapter that came included. Perhaps that's the reason?

Offline negidaku

N-key rollover test.
« Reply #374 on: Fri, 04 June 2010, 02:42:40 »
Quote from: Moth;189461
I'm using the PS/2 adapter that came included. Perhaps that's the reason?
I think Pause is treated as a normal key for USB keyboards, but is special for PS/2 keyboards -- in particular, it always sends a make/break pair whenever you press it. My Pause key won't stay held down on my PS/2-connected Filco, but it does stay held down on a USB-connected Filco (they are different keyboards on different machines, but I don't think that fact affects the result).

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
N-key rollover test.
« Reply #375 on: Sun, 06 June 2010, 08:54:05 »
Tested my Access AKEOXPB3/2 using the microsoft test.  Appears to have 5 key rollover.  Won't register a sixth for any combination I tried.  Tested the WASD keys and all other keys.

EDIT: (tested other keys as well...)
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline elShoggotho

N-key rollover test.
« Reply #376 on: Mon, 07 June 2010, 18:38:08 »
I get up to nine on my Cherry G80-2550HPD/02. Vertically, I get up to five, nine with a full row from the number pad. Horizontally, it's up to seven. It's grouped.
qwertz uiopü+

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
N-key rollover test.
« Reply #377 on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 14:24:06 »
Quote from: ripster;190177
You probably have a diode inside each Cherry MX switch.   Next time you have a key off shine a light down there.

Show Image

Snap.

Might have to zoom in though...
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Rajagra

N-key rollover test.
« Reply #378 on: Thu, 10 June 2010, 15:01:23 »
Lawl, beat me to it!

Offline aegrotatio

N-key rollover test.
« Reply #379 on: Fri, 11 June 2010, 12:36:59 »
I'd be interested to know how keyboards do on the numeric keypad.
Using WASD has really caused a huge fuss in the gaming community among people who don't kow how to remap and I always found the WASD layout awkward to use.
How about 8456 or 5123 with neighboring keys for weapons and other functions, like Nostromo Speedpad and its look-alikes?

I played all of HL, HL2 (and its episodes), Unreal, the Quake series, etc., all on the numeric keypad on a bunch of different PS/2 and USB boards and don't really see what the big deal is with NKRO.
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow

Offline dfj

• Visit our irc: #geekhack on libera.chat!
Pause... why it is odd: e1 14 77 e1 f0 14 f0 77.
« Reply #380 on: Sat, 12 June 2010, 15:16:37 »
ah... pause.

Under USB, it's just another key, nothing special in the hardware, etc...

Under PS2 (wire protocol), there are three protocols Mode 1, 2 and 3 (aka scancode sets), MS sets keyboards to mode 2 on boot, 122 key keyboards only know how to do mode 3, 83 key keyboards only mode 1, etc...

Mode 3 is my favourite, you can either get repeat or make/break events for all keys. Since the OS can handle the repeat, the protocol can handle make break for all keys. Each key has a 1 byte code, and to break, two bytes are sent 0xF0, followed by the normal make code. This is pleasantly simple compared to the mode 2 situation.

In Mode 2, some keys have single byte make codes, others two or more bytes, usually starting with an e0... The pause key only has a make code under mode 2 (aka scancode set 2), and no break code.
So, if the make code of a key is c, the break code will be f0 c. If the make code is e0 c, the break code will be e0 f0 c. The Pause key has the 8-byte make code e1 14 77 e1 f0 14 f0 77.
(a little more info at, say http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/kbd/scancodes-10.html)

Under mode 1, each key gets a make code under 128, and the break is that value plus 128 - i.e. 0x80. So, both make and breaks are both single byte messages. This would have been really sweet, unfortunately, the way the control codes were laid out within much of the same value-space, it was not possible to extend this scheme to handle the 101+ sized keyboards. :(
Fave Switch manus: IBM, Topre, Matias, ...

Offline ecru

N-key rollover test.
« Reply #381 on: Thu, 24 June 2010, 03:45:20 »
Adesso MKB125B - 2 key rollover on both usb and the provided usb to ps2 adaptor
NOT n-key as advertised.

Offline AvengeR

N-key rollover test.
« Reply #382 on: Thu, 24 June 2010, 19:46:05 »
has anyone tested n-key on a microsoft arc? Can't resist those sexy curves.
(or even better ripster's "bunch of diagonal movement FPS style combos" test)

also I have a serious distrust for wireless keyboards because I used one when they were released
edit: Now i read some reviews and seems it's terrible. I'm leaving this post if someone comes afterwards
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 June 2010, 20:02:26 by AvengeR »

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
N-key rollover test.
« Reply #383 on: Sat, 03 July 2010, 20:22:12 »
What about a rubber dome Model F? (Yes, they exist)
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline JBert

N-key rollover test.
« Reply #384 on: Sun, 04 July 2010, 17:27:35 »
Links or it didn't happen.

The storage list:

[/SIZE]

Offline dfj

IBM Model F 6110347 122 keys /w PS2 cable.
« Reply #385 on: Sun, 11 July 2010, 14:45:23 »
Quote from: iMav;59442
Ok, use THIS LINK to test your keyboard's rollover capabilities.

Reply in this thread with your results and with as much info about the keyboard as possible (including the interface, USB, PS/2, etc).

Enjoy!

Current 'workaday' F is good to 28 keys by geekhack's link... not certain I trust that code, though - I could swear I only hit 24 keys. :(

Offline ecru

N-key rollover test.
« Reply #386 on: Sun, 11 July 2010, 22:13:03 »
Raptor-Gaming K1
usb : 6
ps2 : keyboard doesn't work

Offline XiP

N-key rollover test.
« Reply #387 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 19:41:00 »
NEC APC-H412
Keys pressed: qwertyuiop
Keys accepted: 10
NEC APC-H412
Focus FK-5001
Northgate Omnikey Ultra
Realforce 103UB
Filco Majestouch Brown Tenkeyless

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline gr1m

N-key rollover test.
« Reply #388 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 20:55:55 »
Steelseries 6Gv2
Interface: PS2
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Max keys accepted: 33

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
N-key rollover test.
« Reply #389 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 07:31:44 »
Quote from: JBert;199456
Links or it didn't happen.

There were some Model F's on ebay a while ago that were rubber dome. They were 122-keys without the numeric keypad.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
N-key rollover test.
« Reply #390 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 12:16:20 »
They wont be NKRO if they are rubber domes.

Offline dfj

NKRO over USB, hand-rolled.
« Reply #391 on: Mon, 19 July 2010, 23:06:09 »
So, I made some progress on me teensy firmware today - getting the PS2 working was far harder, but my old USB nkro code only took a couple've hours to get working with LUFA - kinda surprising.
  Uncertain if I broke boot support, guess I'll find out next time MS attacks my box with some patches.

Here's some more obvious evidence of the nkro support.
 this is 22 keys from a terminal F, over USB.

Consider this evidence that USB does not force one to only have 6 chars + metas. :)

Heh, I'm kinda chuffed - guess I'll try it out against some video games and see how it does fer latency, etc... mebbe find some niggly bugs what need fixing. Code is not ridiculously ugly, I should be willing to release it shortly, at a minimum contributing it to mnemonix and/or dmw's code for them to mix in the fun parts. DMW used alps with diodes and a teensy already, so it will likely be very straightforward fer him.

Chuffed,
dfj

Offline JBert

N-key rollover test.
« Reply #392 on: Tue, 20 July 2010, 16:24:49 »
With others words, the USB HID driver CAN handle the XL descriptors if you just tell it to?

I could understand that most vendors would like to keep just one mode though, saves on testing in all those different modes.

The storage list:

[/SIZE]

Offline dfj

edge cases.
« Reply #393 on: Fri, 23 July 2010, 14:13:53 »
Quote from: JBert;204635
With others words, the USB HID driver CAN handle the XL descriptors if you just tell it to?

I could understand that most vendors would like to keep just one mode though, saves on testing in all those different modes.

Not certain which 'XL' you speak of... the descriptors, even for 'normal' PS2 are decent sized, in fact mine is smaller when I don't need to support the LEDs.
 The report size can be a little more exciting, as under low-speed a max of 8 bytes can be reported per ms via the interrupt channel. This stops many hobbiests, since spraying a report accross more than one packet is a pain. It works, however; you can implement this style of device on a bit-bang'd controller, like V-USB, or one of the others for PIC/atmel 8-bit chips.
  At full-speed, or higher, this restriction is not in place - so you can just have a report of whatever size you like... so a couple've bitmaps containing the full state of the keyboard is fine.
  It does need to be at least two bitmaps, though: the meta keys (ctrl, shift, etc..) are not 'the same' as the others in USB, so need to be in a separate area.. they conveniently pack perfectly into one byte, though - so it only costs a tiny bit of code complexity, rather than any packet  size inefficiency.
  I've tested under a couple of macs, and a couple've windows... but ultimately I expect there will be a 'first version' of windows that can deal with conforming HID keyboards, and it might not be 98, which had pretty flaky USB.

As far as vendors supporting edge-cases, I dont get the impression that a lot of testing is done. They tend to fail on IBM M's, which more or less exemplify a correct PS2 scancode page 2 implementation. I think they largely don't support the other scancode pages because the chip-vendors din' write them a sample to build on. :) I think the reason the ones that succeed work is more that they built them physically, to spec.

blah blah,
dfj.

Offline PAINKILLER

N-key rollover test.
« Reply #394 on: Tue, 27 July 2010, 12:54:10 »
Some of you ask what do you need NKRO for. Well consider this - with a NKRO and/or ghosting keyboard you can instantly type:
m7ygh,34568tuidfjkl;zxcvbn90op[]\12-   *tab*qwer
*enter*

Pretty useful for spamming forums. Now to beat that I totally expect someone to show his/her "Delete forum account" hotkey :pound:

Anyways, here are the details:
KB: Oemmax/Ortek MCK-101A ghosting/non-blocking modded with some added diodes. Originally it was 2 key rollover. Now 31 of the keys have their own diode and do not cause ghosting (phantom key presses) unless a non-modded key is pressed too.
IF: AT->PS/2
A result from your test would be irrelevant at this point, because with ghosting keys I get more keys reported than were pressed.

Offline li2099

N-key rollover test.
« Reply #395 on: Sat, 07 August 2010, 10:07:37 »
Keyboard: Microsoft Multimedia
Connection: PS/2
Keys: 4

Keyboard: DAS Professional
Keys: As much as I can press!

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
N-key rollover test.
« Reply #396 on: Thu, 19 August 2010, 15:31:48 »
This may have been answered before, but what rollover do the non-nkro Filco keyboards have? Is it 6 key rollover? thanks in advance!

Offline itlnstln

N-key rollover test.
« Reply #397 on: Thu, 19 August 2010, 15:37:51 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;214643
This may have been answered before, but what rollover do the non-nkro Filco keyboards have? Is it 6 key rollover? thanks in advance!

They have 2KRO.

Offline Kamerat

N-key rollover test.
« Reply #398 on: Sat, 21 August 2010, 13:28:47 »
Keyboard: Tandberg Data TDV 5020
Keys: As many as I can press. :)

Offline Konrad

N-key rollover test.
« Reply #399 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 04:14:11 »
This Microsoft link gives a basic overview of n-key "anti-ghosting", and provides an online keyboard test (more informative than your test, iMav, sorry). The same online test is also available here if the first link doesn't work.

The number of scanned codes ("n-keys") varies across different parts of the same keyboard. Basically, the keyboard matrix is bottlenecked by the number of I/O lines in the keyboard controller so design compromises are made. Keyboards are engineered with emphasis (more circuit lines, more logic priority) on the most frequently used keys. Thus, how many simultaneous keys can be pressed is largely determined by where they are located and how they are logically grouped. A few better keyboards use signal diodes within the matrix (sometimes on each key) to bypass many "ghosting" problems, but this is slightly more costly; these often allow fuller software remapping of the key codes/functions.

Most decent USB keyboards focus on the homekeys. All keys within the left-hand (1234 QWER ASDF ZXCV) and right-hand (7890 UIOP JKL; M,./) groups will usually scan up to 4 simultaneous codes, although less sophisticated (cheaper) matrices often require these keys are all on the same row, are clustered together, or are immediately adjacent. Particular multikey combinations are simply impossible on some boards.

Function keys are usually logically grouped the same way they are physically grouped; F1-F4, F5-F8, F9-F12. Usually, up to four of these will scan if they are all within the same group. Better keyboards ignore these group boundaries and allow any four (or more) simultaneous F keys, provided they are all adjacent.

Usually any combination of three numbers can be pressed on the Numpad (a common exception is the 369 vertical); better keyboards might allow four or more.

Better keyboards allow all four cursor keys to be simultaneously pressed, some don't.

Editing/Navigation keys are a wildcard, as often grouped into the Numpad matrix as not, so anything between one and four simultaneous keystrokes can be expected.

The Spacebar, Shift, Ctrl, Alt keys are typically "higher priority" in the logic than other keyscans, and will usually register when pressed (sometimes displacing other keystrokes) no matter how many other keys are also pressed. CapsLock, NumLock, ScrlLock, and Esc are typically the highest priorities and will displace all other keystrokes. One or both Alt keys also usually have special mapping to allow numerical code entry.

Sleep, Wake, Power, multimedia, browser, productivity, macro, and backlighting keys are all nonstandard and typically use separate logic that is not part of the main key matrices; their functions/macros typically supercede any other keypresses. (The codes these keys generate do generally follow what are now unofficial de-facto standards, they are often hardwired and cannot be remapped.)

Any other combination of keys will typically only register two codes, often just one if the keys are from different logical groups (ie, Qwerty and Numpad combination).

All PC keyboards recognize the Ctrl-Alt-Del trilogram. Windows-104 keyboards often recognize any number of additional trilograms based around the GUI keys.

Each time a key is pressed it produces a Make code; when released it produces a Break code. Technically, each keystroke actually produces two codes. Sometimes as many as four, six, or eight codes if Shift, Ctrl, Alt modifier keys are also used.

Bear in mind that keyboards using cheaper (less capable) controllers will use less sophisticated matrices; there will be more "trouble spots" where simultaneous keystrokes cannot be properly processed. This can result in "lost" keys (which refuse to be registered), "ghost" or "phantom" keys (random/error codes that weren't pressed), or sporadic scanning (which key appears depends on superhuman differences in timing).

The term "anti-ghosting" is more of a marketing gimmick than a useful metric. "n-key rollover" is a much better term, but still not entirely accurate.

USB keyboards appear to have a 6-code limit. I don't know why, though I suspect it is a limitation of the USB HID library (software which translates the USB signals into PS/2 codesets for the host controller). PS/2 doesn't appear to suffer from this bottleneck, although it may still be present on cheaper keyboards.

To complicate matters, most PS/2 and some USB keyboard controllers have a small buffer (typically 16-codes, not the same as 16-characters) which can momentarily hold scanned keycodes until the host is ready to accept them.

Note "cheap" keyboard in this context refers to the electronics within the keyboard; specifically the keyboard controller and the related matrix (circuitry). A keyboard can cost hundreds of dollars, have the finest construction, and the best switches in existence yet still suffer limitations from cheap onboard electronics.

Gaming keyboards which advertise "anti-ghosting" seem to often just reorganize the matrix, relocating "ghosting" problems to where they are less noxious instead of actually resolving them. Most of the focus is within proximity of the WASD cluster, the cursor, and the Numpad keys.

The only keyboards I've personally seen which appear to offer (truly) superior "anti-ghosting" are the SteelSeries 7G and 6Gv2, although I haven't personally tested them (or taken them apart) to confirm.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 August 2010, 04:54:18 by Konrad »