Author Topic: Tools for keyboard layout sketches (not for remapping)  (Read 4894 times)

Offline ibu

Tools for keyboard layout sketches (not for remapping)
« on: Tue, 09 March 2010, 02:36:38 »
I like to compose a remapping for a keyboard. Because I'm a visual guy, the composing process should be assisted by sketches of each layer (one layer for each modifier key).

Example:

http://www.guru-board.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/layout_layer2.jpg

http://www.guru-board.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/layout_layer1.jpg

I'm looking for a nice GUI-Tool which allows to create such pictures.

Of course one could do that manually in a tool like photoshop, but it is a lot of work to create a template for a non standard keyboard layout (e.g. the apple wireless keyboard without numpad).

I like the visualisation of the layers on http://www.neo-layout.org/.

May be there's a nice tool out there, which could assist at the composing process?
Do you know one?

Thanks.

Edit:

To be able to start sketching I produced a quick&dirty printable template.
http://borumat.de/+temp/bilder/tastatur/apple-a1255-leer.jpg (100KB)
http://borumat.de/+temp/bilder/tastatur/apple-a1255-leer.bmp (1000KB)

May be some time that is useful for anybody.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 March 2010, 11:37:20 by ibu »

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 09 March 2010, 06:01:46 »
This might be of use. I haven't used Inkscape, so don't know what it is like to use. The newest comment there about scripting changes sounds interesting, I wonder how that is going.

Offline ibu

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 March 2010, 06:27:07 »
Quote from: Rajagra;162705
This might be of use.

Thanks for the hint.

But I think these are only images of specific layout: colemak.

It don't think it is possible to create another layout (e.g. an apple layout) easily and fast.

And I don't think the user could rename each key.

But that's, what I'm looking for.

Offline DreymaR

• Colemak forum guy
    • DreymaR's Big Bag of Kbd Tricks
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 March 2010, 06:31:36 »
Urg, I don't think Neo looked so nice but to each his own I guess. Visually, I like that the images use the Unicode glyphs for accents (those dotted circles with the accent).

I'm hoping my Inkscape images will be of use to many (given that they observe the CC licence)!

But a GUI-tool won't happen. On the other hand, you shouldn't need one. What I'd have you do instead would be to edit a text file with an intuitive table format, then drag-and-drop it onto an app. Or alternatively, run a script to convert a layout file from for instance MSKLC (which would then give you a GUI option). When I've done my work (which I haven't).

I'm still working on the scripting but my projects tend to progress slowly and with hiccups. I've specified some file formats and made scan code based templates and parts of a RegExp/AHK-machine that converts layout files. Hopefully people will be able to use it to specify fingering colors as well as Wide/Angled/What-have-you physical remaps in addition to layout layers (which would include any shift state or 'extend key' modes). The ambition is high as you can see.

As a final step, unless Farkas makes a PKL version that meets all my hungers and desires I'm planning to hack my own.  :)

At the moment, I don't have any direct plans to make relabeling so flexible that you could have for instance an arrow or 'Home' on any key cap; for now it's based on replacing the symbol already there which would likely be a letter that's either in a large font or in the upper left corner of the cap. So you'd have to do that by hand still I guess. I might look into it eventually, but it'd be a longer haul.

As for remappings, there seems to be a bajillion of those around by now. Mine is best, obviously. Or, as Rajagra might tell you, Rajagra's.  :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 March 2010, 06:55:08 by DreymaR »
Better burden you cannot carry than man-wisdom much ~ Hávamál

Offline nanu

• http://T-T.be/portal
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 09 March 2010, 06:37:29 »
@Dreymar: I don't actually see the SVG files linked, do you have them available?
I've recently played with SVG and would be interested in hacking my own if you don't provide yours.

Offline DreymaR

• Colemak forum guy
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 09 March 2010, 07:36:48 »
Nanu nanu!  :)

The file is named 'ColemakBoardFigIBM-091103.svg' and is found in the folder linked to in this CC licence. I'm linking you through it so you've read the disclaimer first - basically, give due credit and don't make money off it without asking.

I've made quite a few changes since that version but since it's a bit messy at the moment I haven't published a new version. If you're interested in a temp version I'll give you one to play with (under the same conditions, of course).

Offline ibu

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 09 March 2010, 09:26:09 »
Quote from: DreymaR;162708
Urg, I don't think Neo looked so nice but to each his own I guess.

The visualization on the neo website was just an example of what I like to have.
May be there are better visualizations of multiple layer layouts.
May be there are better ways to switch between the views of each layer?
But I thought the one on the neo website with hovering the mouse about an area is OK.

I'm curious and I appreciate to see nicer solutions.

If you meant the keyboard layout with "I don't think Neo looked so nice", you missunderstood me. I did not speak about the layout, the concept of Neo.
Quote from: DreymaR;162708

What I'd have you do instead would be to edit a text file with an intuitive table format, then drag-and-drop it onto an app. Or alternatively, run a script to convert a layout file from for instance MSKLC (which would then give you a GUI option). When I've done my work (which I haven't).

A simple Text file as input is nice. But is important to be able to influence the number and the with of keys in a row.
Of course the visualization of the target keyboard should be as similar as possible.

Please allow me a tiny dream:
What would it be nice, if keyboards include their editing software on their firmware. And the visualisation software as well. Cross plattform.
And a little eInk-Display on each switch, which change their output when a modifier is pressed.

Thanks for offering your work under CC.
Good success in your work. I'm looking forward to it.

If no further suggestions appear in the thread I have to get my pencil and have to do sketches in the old way :)

Offline DreymaR

• Colemak forum guy
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 10 March 2010, 02:28:32 »
I agree that the mouse-over thing on the Neo site is well made. I just found it a little on the gaudy side overall, but having made my own I'm biased as hell. (I also don't like the main layout and even question its raison d'etre but as you say that's a story for another day.)

Tiny dream allowed. I don't think it'll happen. Also, keyboards generally don't have reprogrammable firmware do they? The eInk-Display is already made but with OLED you know; you just need to be very rich to get hold of an Optimus (and what if it doesn't have your preferred switch technology - oops!).

Before breaking out your pen-and-paper, I'd encourage you to install Inkscape and play around with my file a little to see if you can start making heads and tails of it. You'll have to bring up the Layers dialogue (Ctrl+Shift+L) and make the layers you want visible (the eye) and the layers you want to change editable and selected (the padlock, and the layer's line must be selected). Then F1 gets you the normal select tool and F8 the text editing tool for instance. If you click on a key cap in the key caps layer you'll find that some of them are clones but never mind that. You can still set their width individually in the toolbar (or drag if that's precise enough for you - it isn't for me!). A better way is to duplicate (Ctrl+D) a key with the desired width, since mere stretching will stretch the whole key so that the sides get a bit weird. Be aware that if you change position of something in one layer you may need to edit the other layers you need afterwards or the cap, its tint/color and its marking may be in different places for instance. However, you can make several layers editable and drag-select around something to select it in all the layers at once; then, you'll move a key and all its elements in one fell swoop. Once you get the hang of this, you'll love working with vector graphics!

Offline ibu

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 10 March 2010, 03:17:09 »

Also, keyboards generally don't have reprogrammable firmware do they?

Sadly, yes.
The miniguru, I'm looking forward to buy it :), is the only exception I know.

Of course I mentioned only a part of my dreams of a keyboard paradise.

Customization,Customization, Customization. :)

* Type of switches (force over the path).
* Type of surface (texture)
* Type of form (flat, hollow, symetric, ergonomic, ...)
* Complete free layout of the positioning of switches on an area. (I would like to try, e.g. a layout with only four rows. My fingers don't like the row with the numbers.)
* Material (plastic, steel, alu, ...)
* Color

The eInk-Display is already made but with OLED you know; you just need to be very rich to get hold of an Optimus

Yey I know it.
But (not judging about the price) I don't like. It looks like a keyboard for posing, not for working with.
To glossy, shiny.
I prefer it more unobstrusive.

Before breaking out your pen-and-paper, I'd encourage you to install Inkscape and play around with my file a little to see if you can start making heads and tails of it.

Thanks for your    encouragement and your explanation, but I think it needs to much time to get into the stuff, specially to create new positions of the switches.

May be another time, when there's an interesting task to learn working with vector grafik, I would give it a try.
But my actual task, just to have a nice helper to sketch my layers, is not strong enough as motive to learn the language of vector grafik code.

Offline ibu

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 10 March 2010, 10:20:40 »
To be able to start sketching I produced a quick&dirty printable template (a scan and some work with the eraser).
http://borumat.de/+temp/bilder/tastatur/apple-a1255-leer.jpg (100KB)
http://borumat.de/+temp/bilder/tastatur/apple-a1255-leer.bmp (1000KB)

May be some time that is useful for anybody.

With a soft pencil and some crayons to mark the modifier for each sheet/ layer you could easily start composing layouts.

There so many factors, so many decisions. It seems, that it will get a "little project".
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 March 2010, 11:29:31 by ibu »

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 10 March 2010, 10:29:31 »
links are broken :-(

P.S. I know what your avatar is based on. :smile:
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 March 2010, 10:37:39 by Rajagra »

Offline ibu

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 10 March 2010, 11:35:15 »
links are broken :-(
Sorry. My fault. I copied and pasted it from the first posting.
I fixed it.

P.S. I know what your avatar is based on. :smile:

:)

The book bolo'bolo by P.M. ([DE] ISBN-13: 978-3907522011, [EN] ISBN-13: 978-0936756080) is quite unknown. I really like it a lot.

Edit:
Now I recognized, that in your PS was a link.

And I thought you know of that book ;)
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 March 2010, 18:03:29 by ibu »

Offline DreymaR

• Colemak forum guy
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 11 March 2010, 03:10:12 »
In my not so humble opinion, I don't quite see why you should need to change key positions in the image. Yours is basically a standard keyboard that has some squished keys, isn't it? Is it so damn important to show the squishing in the image, or am I missing something?

Offline ibu

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 11 March 2010, 05:13:42 »
I can only speak for myself. And I like a template, when it looks exactly like the original keyboard. And when the switches has the exact outline. And when all keys, even F-keys and all modifiers are on the template.

But for other users it may be less important or unimportant at all.

Offline DreymaR

• Colemak forum guy
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 11 March 2010, 10:22:45 »
Well, my image does look like the *original* keyboard, and if you wish it has all keys.

It's your keyboard that doesn't.  :p
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 March 2010, 06:51:01 by DreymaR »

Offline DreymaR

• Colemak forum guy
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 18 March 2010, 04:45:28 »
Ibu: I wanted to see those template images you made again but they're gone?

Could you either make sure they're available, or link me to a similar keyboard image please? I'm thinking of adding a row or two to my image so you could paste together a keyboard like yours. Wouldn't have the IBM-style key caps but as I remember it your keyboard didn't have those in the first place so that should be okay for you.

More like this, but with the half-height F# keys and the laptop-style bottom row added:

[edit: Your keyboard is the Apple Wireless, right? If so - could you live with an image that has the F# and bottom row mostly right but shows the rightmost keys in their conventional widths (so the \| key on an ANSI board is wider for instance)? Would that be a workable compromise you think?]
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 March 2010, 04:52:02 by DreymaR »