Author Topic: ione Scorpius M10 "z" key stuck problem with switch (cherry blue)  (Read 7036 times)

Offline kohan69

I was just starting to enjoy my first mechanical keyboard, and merely after 2 days of getting it, I started having problems!

The Z key gets stuck as illustrated in the video.

The plastic of the switch seems to be slightly chipped:

Good switch:
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/1549/img4223m.jpg

Faulty switch:
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/9393/img4222o.jpg

What can I do?
Are the switches soldered in? Can I swap the switches from one to another?

Does ione have any kind of warranty? (I couldn't find info on their site)

Please advise!
:sick:
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 March 2010, 03:17:38 by kohan69 »

Offline Mental Hobbit

ione Scorpius M10 "z" key stuck problem with switch (cherry blue)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 09 March 2010, 04:07:39 »
Probaly a flash from molding on the stem or click slider, so you'd need a new switch. But I wouldn't do anything myself on a two week old board. Is there no mandatory manufacturer and/or vendor warranty in your country?
Typing on blues.

Offline wz25

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 March 2010, 11:57:08 »
I can vouch for the QC issues with the Scorpius M10. I loved mine and actually thought I might have dodged the various issues until it stopped registering keystrokes intermittently, and progressively got worse.

It is really too bad, since the switches felt great, and the overall construction was decent enough. I even thought about picking up another, but decided to go with Filco- would rather have one good board than several iffy ones. A keyboard is one peripheral I expect to just work, and if I have to pay a premium for a high quality tool that will do its job, so be it.

Offline kohan69

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 March 2010, 14:02:50 »
Does ione have their own warranty?

It looks like it'd be easier to tear this apart and swap the switches than paying $10+ to RMA.

Before I tear mine apart, can I get a confirmation on the solder? What is it? Double-sided PCB?

PS: What's the build quality like on the ABS M1 board?

Offline kohan69

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 19 November 2010, 22:17:34 »
Quote from: ripster;162729
Scorpius M10 is notorious for having quality problems.  Return it.  No guarantee the new one won't fail from a bad solder joint  in three months though.

I hate you for being so right. :C

Offline JBert

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 20 November 2010, 19:07:41 »
It seems the key "binds"... I wonder if popping it open and applying some grease wouldn't help.

Of course, if iOne caused it by overheating the switch internals, there's no way of telling how the switch will behave. Got any proof of overheat?
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 20 November 2010, 20:46:58 »
^ I figured that would be the reason for Cherry switch problems.  Good to hear it will be such an easy fix in case I come upon it!
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline F u r u y á

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 02 December 2011, 22:41:04 »
Quote from: ripster;249945
Lol - I just remembered this problem.  Some Cherry MX have a molding problem near where the LED cutout is.  Causes sticking.  Link to one of the previous threads.

Fix is to take a Xacto and cut away the burr.

Great ripster. I had exactly this problem with some keys of my PLU ML-87 (W, D, H). I was about to return it since I was thinking that it would require desoldering (once I've confirmed that the problem lay in the switch).

If this is not in the wiki, it shoud be. I searched the forum, found this, and your solution was a very easy fix. Now my W, D, H are butterly smooth MX Red switches.

Here are some photos highlighting the LED cutout defect. Feel free to use it in the wiki if you wish so.

(sorry for the cat's hair!)

(hair removed!)
Filco 91 | Filco 87* | Filco 105 | PLU 87 | PLU 87 | Cherry 120 | Cherry 120