Author Topic: IBM Scrollpoint Pro  (Read 31232 times)

Offline EverythingIBM

IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« on: Sun, 07 March 2010, 00:56:03 »
I'm surprised there's little information about the "scrollpoint pro" mouse. It's one of the coolest things ever.
Here's some juicy shots:

First of all, it supports 360 scrolling, it's like a little tilty stick; SIMILAR to the trackpoint, but more deep... and it's for scrolling, not moving the cursor. It's pressure sensitive and can be controlled to suit your needs. Windows 7 automatically detects it without drivers; and I find it to be fine without any customization.

Next, the button on the side (near the thumb) can be set to a variety of functions; I like to set it as ctrl+z, so it can automatically undo actions: I'm that lazy.

Finally, the scollpoint stick GLOWS! I haven't seen such a stylish IBM product before (and probably never will again). I also enjoy the curvature, I haven't had a mouse that fit my hand so well.

What's amazing about these, is that they were released in 2002. And Apple just released their "magic" mouse which supports 360 scolling... ahh... 7 years too late.

So, I bet you're saying "WHERE CAN I GET ONE?!?!" Well, IBM, rather lenovo, has discontinued them. It's a pity, because, they're much better than the regular scrollpoint.

I was able to buy one right before crapovo discontinued them. Sadly, mine had a lenovo logo (which, I wouldn't have bought if I knew); but a little sandpaper solved that.

These things are quite durable, I spilled a bunch of juice in mine, and it still works. Had it for 2 years now, use it every day.

It's very hard to find them; getting one with an IBM-logo is quite in vain. Oh well, good things always come to pass first.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline Half-Saint

IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 07 March 2010, 05:54:06 »
Went searching and came up with this:
http://www.buymebuyme.com/retail/customer/product.php?productid=44716&XCARTSESSID=57379d219a35856a19f76e71c1a25e73

Unfortunately, shipping to Europe is $37 for a mouse!!!! @!?$#%&
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Rajagra

IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 07 March 2010, 12:50:04 »
Is the Pro version functionally different to the regular one, or just more comfortable and better looking? There are some of the non-Pro's on ebay, I'm wondering if they'd be a good choice of spare mice to keep around for those times you need a decent one in an emergency.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 07 March 2010, 13:40:03 »
Nice...

Have to keep an eye on eBay for these.

Offline EverythingIBM

IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 07 March 2010, 15:04:51 »
Quote from: Half-Saint;162288
Went searching and came up with this:
http://www.buymebuyme.com/retail/customer/product.php?productid=44716&XCARTSESSID=57379d219a35856a19f76e71c1a25e73

Unfortunately, shipping to Europe is $37 for a mouse!!!! @!?$#%&

Yeah, but I'm wondering if those are IBM-labeled, or LENOVO. For some reason, the lenovo logo just depresses me.
And, that's a weird website, I usually don't like buying from obscure places like that. They could be set up to steal some unsuspecting IBMer's credit card!

Quote from: Rajagra;162313
Is the Pro version functionally different to the regular one, or just more comfortable and better looking? There are some of the non-Pro's on ebay, I'm wondering if they'd be a good choice of spare mice to keep around for those times you need a decent one in an emergency.

The pro version has the thumb button. I never tried a regular one; so I don't know what it uses instead (I think a button in front of the scrollpoint stick; that is, if it even has one). But I like the thumb button better.

Quote from: ch_123;162319
Nice...

Have to keep an eye on eBay for these.

They're very rare! I only found them twice on ebay years ago. Should have snatched them up, damn. Maybe try searching up the model number too.

NOTE: Sometimes ebay listers DON'T label them as "scrollpoint pro", sometimes it's just like "IBM mouse" or listed as a normal scrollpoint. Someone who was selling a whole stash of used ones did that (IBM labeled too!).

I'd suggest putting something over the IBM logo to prevent it from being worn down.

Offline sethstorm

IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 07 March 2010, 15:23:26 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;162332
Yeah, but I'm wondering if those are IBM-labeled, or LENOVO. For some reason, the lenovo logo just depresses me.

That's why I'll end up calling my next Thinkpad order w/ them in and insisting on a logo-delete of Lenovo.  Covering it w/ stickers just isn't an option.

The software build is one thing, having it plastered all over the hardware is another.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 March 2010, 15:50:31 by sethstorm »
Current:
IBM: Model M: 1391401, 1386887 Terminal 122 Key 
IBM: Model F: 6110668 Terminal 122 key with Trackpoint and M13 blacks
IBM: Specialty: Wheelwriter 5, Boltmodded.  AT F layout, M technology. 
Lexmark/IBM: M13 Black Trackpoint
NCR:HO150-STD1-01-17 Decision Mate V - The other Gray NCR linear.

Offline EverythingIBM

IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 07 March 2010, 16:06:16 »
Quote from: sethstorm;162334
That's why I'll end up calling my next Thinkpad order w/ them in and insisting on a logo-delete of Lenovo.  Covering it w/ stickers just isn't an option.

The software build is one thing, having it plastered all over the hardware is another.

My next thinkpad will be a T42, lol. Actually, Lenovo gets their thinkpads built at "quanta computer," the same place where all dells, hps, acers, and macbooks come from.

My T60p is actually having a lot of problems, it loves to freeze when using CPU intensive apps. It sometimes also likes to never come out of sleep. It only recently started doing this (yeah, when the warranty is expiring). I doubt crapovo would do much about it anyways.
But I LOVE the keyboard on the thinkpad (best laptop one anyways).

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 07 March 2010, 16:07:35 »
Laptops don't just suddenly lose their ability to sleep on a hardware level... sounds like you need to reinstall Windows.

Offline EverythingIBM

IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 07 March 2010, 16:26:25 »
Quote from: ch_123;162341
Laptops don't just suddenly lose their ability to sleep on a hardware level... sounds like you need to reinstall Windows.

I would have reinstalled windows on it (many people were suggesting this to me), however, I need the IBM DLA for a few things.

Quote from: kishy;162343
Oh, I dunno about that...hardware can and does fail.

That said, a driver issue is more likely to blame. Video is the most common one that won't let a system sleep, I've found (most drivers can do this, but video is the one that causes the most problems I find).

Edit: oops, can't come OUT of sleep. That's different. Yeah, try Windows reinstall, if no luck it's hardware (assuming it WAS properly** able to come out of sleep at some point to begin with)

** properly being as one would expect, not "with any sort of abnormalities but still successfully waking up"

Some people at the thinkpad forums were saying it could be lenovo's drivers and bloatware.

Whatever the case, I should reinstall windows on it at some point; it's always good to do so anyways.

If it still has problems afterwards... T42!!!!

Offline EverythingIBM

IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 07 March 2010, 16:55:55 »
Quote from: kishy;162347
Of course, try the reinstall and see what happens.

And if/when you take delivery of your T42, I'll happily take the other one off your hands...you know, since you won't be needing it...

Ha.

Actually my T60p isn't in the best condition. The keys are fairly shiny from my extensive typing (I like how they MELTED the letters on though). The screen's hinges are also very loose.

However, even "well used" thinkpads seem to sell like hotcakes (I once went to a "computer place" asking if they had any thinkpads, soon as the person there said: "sorry we sold out;" I instantly turned around and left).

Speaking of which, I should get a scrollpoint for my thinkpad (I don't have that many IBM mice).

Although, I'll let you guys on a little secret. When my intellistation arrived, IBM packed one of their standard black red-wheeled mice with it, AND, it said it was manufactured in 2007. So, IBM still does create products with their logo on it. My uncle works for IBM also gets IBM-branded computers/thinkpads.
Kind of like this
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 March 2010, 16:59:32 by EverythingIBM »

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 07 March 2010, 16:56:51 »
I recently saved  a Thinkpad T30 from being dumped. One of the latches is broken, and I was told by the person dumping it that the motherboard on it is fried. Might get around to fixing it some day...

Offline EverythingIBM

IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 07 March 2010, 17:04:33 »
Quote from: ch_123;162352
I recently saved  a Thinkpad T30 from being dumped. One of the latches is broken, and I was told by the person dumping it that the motherboard on it is fried. Might get around to fixing it some day...

You could probably just buy a pulled mobo for it cheap. I've seen a lot of IBM motherboards float around on ebay. I'm wondering why people pull working motherboards from perfectly fine computers.

I wonder how that person fried the motherboard on the thinkpad to begin with... maybe he was trying out his XT-to-AT converter.

Offline EverythingIBM

IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 07 March 2010, 17:21:09 »
Quote from: kishy;162355
The mouse you described (red wheel) should be an MO28UO. Case/housing is similar to the normal Scrollpoint (btw I just bought the cheapest one on ebay and it is new apparently...bonus)

I LOVE THESE MICE. I had one for my desktop...then two side by side...now a third. Muahahahaha. Soon all my extra USB ports will be occupied by MO28UO mice!

Mine DOES look like a MO28UO, however, mine says MO28UOL. What's the extra L for?

Offline EverythingIBM

IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 07 March 2010, 17:35:05 »
Quote from: kishy;162361
I'm gonna guess it's a Lenovo revision...perhaps they updated it somehow, or just wanted to add the L so if they're checking their product names out they can quickly see what they have and have not investigated (for example if they want to EOL certain former IBM products, adding the L might indicate they have already determined they want to keep that product)

Just a (rather complex) guess

Oh and about Lenovo...they took over a lot earlier than most people are aware of. Many, many, MANY IBM-branded products were made after the Lenovo switch. IBM vs Lenovo is a psychological game; Lenovo does it just as well as IBM did.

The link to the scrollpoint pros half-saint gave had "31P8700", however, mine is "MO18BO".
Not all scrollpoint pros had the glowing stick; and some were made in the classic "ivory" (which I would love to have).

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 07 March 2010, 17:38:05 »
There's some regular Scrollpoints in ivory on eBay right now. In fact, I think the guy was selling a number of them in the one auction.

Offline EverythingIBM

IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 07 March 2010, 19:06:26 »
Quote from: ch_123;162364
There's some regular Scrollpoints in ivory on eBay right now. In fact, I think the guy was selling a number of them in the one auction.

The scrollpoint pros looked a bit different in ivory:

With some silver and black logo instead of blue.

Although, I will check for some ivory scrollpoint mice later! Perhaps people can say my mouse is old instead of my ThinkPad... I got so many comments from people saying "THAT COMPUTER IS *SO* OLD", then they would say "hey, what's that red thing on the keyboard".
It doesn't look "old" to me, and I kind of like the thinkpad design (I certainly DO NOT like the "thinkpad edge", lenovo is trying too hard; if they want to sell a tacky computer, they should just redesign a whole new one, like their abominable idea pads).

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 07 March 2010, 19:19:07 »
Looking for some Scrollpoint mice?  Here you can get 5 of them for 80 cents each.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline gerry

IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 07 March 2010, 19:21:55 »
Awesome.  I had no idea these were rare.  I bought one a few years ago, but didn't find it comfortable for my hand.  It's a black Pro with side button and glowing blue light.  It's practically brand new since I only used it a few times.  Found it and using it at the moment.  I'm using Debian and I can only scroll up and down by default.  I'm sure there's a way to get 360 degree scrolling to work though.  Honestly, it's still just not the right match for my hand.  It seems to be a little too small to conform to my hand, but a little too large for the claw grip.  Still sticking with the good old Trackpoint for the forseeable future.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 07 March 2010, 19:27:54 »
I'd have to say I like Trackpoint mice too, especially when in an on-the-go situation. Especially the "cat's toungue" ones where you can get a good grip on them. Some of my laptops have them and I couldn't do without them. They beat Trashpads by a mile.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline EverythingIBM

IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 07 March 2010, 20:40:25 »
Quote from: gerry;162383
Awesome.  I had no idea these were rare.  I bought one a few years ago, but didn't find it comfortable for my hand.  It's a black Pro with side button and glowing blue light.  It's practically brand new since I only used it a few times.  Found it and using it at the moment.  I'm using Debian and I can only scroll up and down by default.  I'm sure there's a way to get 360 degree scrolling to work though.  Honestly, it's still just not the right match for my hand.  It seems to be a little too small to conform to my hand, but a little too large for the claw grip.  Still sticking with the good old Trackpoint for the forseeable future.

You need to install the driver to enable 360 scrolling (although I don't use it that much). I have the driver CD somewhere... you can also download it from lenovo's website, I THINK. Worst case scenario: I can upload the drivers from my CD.

I always have a mousepad under my mice; so my hand is cushioned by a sqaushy mousepad, and I simply shift my hand a little to move the cursor (I always set cursor speed really fast to reduce movement; that could be why other people are more annoyed with mice like these).
Also, I don't know why people think, even though a mouse is optical (or laser), that it shouldn't have a mousepad. It's really horrible having your hand & mouse grind against the table all day. If you have a poor quality desk, you'll get a little worn-off spot too.

Try increasing the mouse speed and using a mousepad. Then you can just glide it nicely.

Offline In Stereo!

IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 07 March 2010, 22:31:32 »
I'd love to use the scollpoint on a modern mouse. But the lousy tracking I have on mine (scrollpoint mouse) is a real deal breaker.

Offline EverythingIBM

IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 07 March 2010, 22:50:32 »
Quote from: In Stereo!;162436
I'd love to use the scollpoint on a modern mouse. But the lousy tracking I have on mine (scrollpoint mouse) is a real deal breaker.

Maybe UNICOMP can start making them, lol. They'd be way cheaper than Model M keyboards anyhow.

Offline sethstorm

IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 08 March 2010, 23:29:23 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;162340
My next thinkpad will be a T42, lol. Actually, Lenovo gets their thinkpads built at "quanta computer," the same place where all dells, hps, acers, and macbooks come from.
Still would insist on a logo-delete, should I ever have enough to get a w700ds.

Quote from: EverythingIBM;162440
Maybe UNICOMP can start making them, lol. They'd be way cheaper than Model M keyboards anyhow.
Question is, who holds the rights to the design?
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 March 2010, 23:43:30 by sethstorm »
Current:

Offline elbowglue

IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 10 March 2010, 02:14:25 »
We have these kinds of scrollpoint mouses at work:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130371894897

It may not be this model exactly, I give it big thumbs down.  The scrolling on it is very poorly implemented, I much prefer a mouse with a scroll wheel.  My 2 cents
My keyboards: Filco Cherry Blue Tenkeyless(daily home), Compaq MX11800 (modded to blacks), Compaq "MX 84u",  Wellington\'s Dampened Endurapro, Pinkalicious Filco Blue Cherry, Chicony KB-5191, Chicony KB-5181, Desko MOS 5023 UP "elbowglue" spos (modded to blues), Siig Minitouch (monterey blue), SMK-88 (blue cherries), Ricercar SPOS
Smallest to biggest keyboards in inches (Length X Height) - Length is most important for a midline mouse position

KBC Poker: 11.6 x 3.9 - HHKB: 11.6 x 4.3 - Siig Minitouch (Geekhack Space Saver): 11.6 x 6 - Deck/Tg3 82: 12 x 6 - Noppoo Choc Mini 12.4 x 5.3 - Compaq "MX 84u": 13.1 x 7.5 - Filco Tenkeyless: 14 x 5.3 - Cherry "ricercar spos" G86-62410EUAGSA: 14 x 7.75 - Topre Realforce 86u: 14.4 x 6.65 - Desko "elbowglue spos" MOS 5023 UP: 14.5 x 8.4 - IBM Model M Spacesaver: 15.3 x 7 - G80-1800: 15.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-125B: 16 x 7.3 - Compaq Mx11800, Cherry G80-11900: 16.25 x 7.5 - Filco Standard: 17.3 x 5.4 - Unicomp Endurapro: 17.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-135B: 18.3 x 6.0 - Cherry G80-3000: 18.5 x 7.6 - IBM Model M, Unicomp Customizer: 19.3 x 8.27

Offline CreamyNutButter

• Trackball Gamer
IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 10 March 2010, 08:27:59 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;162332
And, that's a weird website, I usually don't like buying from obscure places like that. They could be set up to steal some unsuspecting IBMer's credit card!

The pro version has the thumb button. I never tried a regular one; so I don't know what it uses instead (I think a button in front of the scrollpoint stick; that is, if it even has one). But I like the thumb button better.

They're very rare! I only found them twice on ebay years ago. Should have snatched them up, damn. Maybe try searching up the model number too.

NOTE: Sometimes ebay listers DON'T label them as "scrollpoint pro", sometimes it's just like "IBM mouse" or listed as a normal scrollpoint. Someone who was selling a whole stash of used ones did that (IBM labeled too!).

I'd suggest putting something over the IBM logo to prevent it from being worn down.

LOL, my first computer (that solely belonged to me) was an IBM ThinkPad and I got mad whenever someone called it a Lenovo.  Lenovo just doesn't measure up to IBM's rep.
Trackballs: Kensington Orbit with Scroll Ring and Logitech Marble
Keyboards: Who cares?

Offline Rajagra

IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 10 March 2010, 08:49:24 »
"Lenovo" just sounds cheap. I bet it does even to non-English speakers. They should have done more research when choosing the name. (Beyond the usual checks for the word not being a vulgar colloquialism in some obscure language.)

Then again, I find many recent company names a bit offensive, what with their deliberate misspellings or abstract use of words that tell you nothing of the company's purpose.

Get off my lawn!

Offline Half-Saint

IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 10 March 2010, 08:55:32 »
Lenovo sounds french, to me at least :D I don't like it... it reminds me of a cheap clothing brand...
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline sethstorm

IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 10 March 2010, 20:13:27 »
Quote from: Rajagra;162900
"Lenovo" just sounds cheap. I bet it does even to non-English speakers. They should have done more research when choosing the name. (Beyond the usual checks for the word not being a vulgar colloquialism in some obscure language.)

Then again, I find many recent company names a bit offensive, what with their deliberate misspellings or abstract use of words that tell you nothing of the company's purpose.

Get off my lawn!

Legend + some form of "new" = Lenovo.

I'd have been fine if they just shortened their name to 'Legend' and not thrown so many curves into the logo typeface.

As for quality, Lenovo is just taking the traditional route of changing things at an imperceptible pace until it no longer resembles the original product.
Current:

Offline EverythingIBM

IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 11 March 2010, 01:21:26 »
Quote from: sethstorm;163056
Legend + some form of "new" = Lenovo.

I'd have been fine if they just shortened their name to 'Legend' and not thrown so many curves into the logo typeface.

As for quality, Lenovo is just taking the traditional route of changing things at an imperceptible pace until it no longer resembles the original product.

One thing I detest is how Lenovo is making their own quirky designs; straying from the normal "IBM look". Like THIS for example:

From the creators of the ThinkPad? I THINK NOT! It actually took a very diverse group of people to come up with all of those great features: not a bunch of bankrupt clowns in lenovo china. I really dislike "all-in-one" computers anyhow. At least *IBM'S* all-in-one actually had a thing called "ports":

http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-6274-KKU-All-In-One-Monitor-PC-System-As-Is_W0QQitemZ370282793689QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDesktop_PCs?hash=item5636930ad9

Just plain matte black, squared edges, and the "IBM lavender" somewhere.
**Lenovo actually changed the IBM lavender on newer thinkpad enter keys**

If this keeps up, they'll reverse EVERYTHING. Thinkpads will be "macpads". Oh wait, the iPad is already out.

Offline hyperlinked

IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 11 March 2010, 01:59:52 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;163090
One thing I detest is how Lenovo is making their own quirky designs; straying from the normal "IBM look". Like THIS for example:
Show Image

I don't know. Had IBM continued producing hardware, I wouldn't be surprised if they had built something resembling this if they made a space saving all-in-one because it's not really a new design and it's quirkiness in my view owes more to that it's an un-sexy all-in-one which are usually dolled up to look pretty.

When I think of a ThinkPad, I envision something that's mostly unglamorous, built solid, and is all about the hardware. Yeah, there's no lavender, but otherwise, I don't see how this is a tremendous departure from that general approach (unless the hardware sucks).

Anyway, the "normal" IBM look would surely evolve even if Lenovo didn't own it.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 11 March 2010, 11:28:30 »
I miss the Lavender. They have sort of brought it back - the newer Thinkpads have the blue-tipped trackpoint buttons.

I always refer to my laptop as being an "IBM" despite it being Lenovo made. Any time I find it necessary to refer to it as Lenovo, I jokingly call it "Len-I can't believe it's not IBM-ovo"

Offline EverythingIBM

IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 11 March 2010, 17:40:46 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;163093
I don't know. Had IBM continued producing hardware, I wouldn't be surprised if they had built something resembling this if they made a space saving all-in-one because it's not really a new design and it's quirkiness in my view owes more to that it's an un-sexy all-in-one which are usually dolled up to look pretty.

When I think of a ThinkPad, I envision something that's mostly unglamorous, built solid, and is all about the hardware. Yeah, there's no lavender, but otherwise, I don't see how this is a tremendous departure from that general approach (unless the hardware sucks).

Anyway, the "normal" IBM look would surely evolve even if Lenovo didn't own it.

Actually, most IBM products from 1995 to 2007 all have the same look. I like the way IBM actually put the "stripes" in the bezel on some of their computers.
Whatever the case, the "IBM blue" was a feature of every single IBM product I've ever owned.

Although, I have a feeling most of the IBM designers have been sacked (some may even be dead). Lenovo has a different staff creating all of their horrendous products. They actually didn't like the members from the IBM PC division.

Offline EverythingIBM

IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 15:54:45 »
Quote from: kishy;162382
GOD DAMN THAT'S A NICE LOOKING MOUSE (silver scrollpoint pro)

...it's CAPSLOCK day in Canada.

I found the model for the "sage" or "white" scrollpoint pro!
It's 37L7317.

Here's the first site i found it from:
http://www.partstore.com/Part/IBM%20Corporation/IBM/37L7317/Refurbished.aspx?s=froogle&CID=froogle

There's a whole bunch of others i'm sure, i'm going to search around for it when I get home. I got to get one of those, they're way too cool.

Offline TexasFlood

IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 16:06:07 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;164544
It's 37L7317.

http://www.partstore.com/Part/IBM%20Corporation/IBM/37L7317/Refurbished.aspx?s=froogle&CID=froogle

There's a whole bunch of others i'm sure, i'm going to search around for it when I get home. I got to get one of those, they're way too cool.

FYI, through tomorrow there is a Lenovo sale on.  I think it's 15% extra off. Comes out to $16.32 + tax at friends & family site, free shipping.

Lenovo Scrollpoint Optical Mouse - Bring more accurate maneuvering and control to your desktop with the Optical 3-Button ScrollPoint Mouse PS/2 & USB 800 dpi sensor. The ScrollPoint pointing stick is ideal for both horizontal and vertical scrolling, unlike standard wheel mice. ScrollPoint pointing device glows blue.

Also ThinkPad USB Keyboard with TrackPoint $40.12 + tax, FS

and ThinkPad USB Numeric Keypad $14.95 + tax, FS

Offline didjamatic

IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 16:15:07 »
Lot of 5 scrollpoint mice on ebay.

I wonder if you could hack these apart to surface mount a scrollpoint stick on a DT225 trackball just above the ball.  But these particular ones are ps2 which would conflict with the DT225.  A usb option would be better.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline EverythingIBM

IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 17:06:49 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;164544
It's 37L7317.

Actually, the lenovo page DID list the model number for the "ancient sage" colour, as well as the "slate" one, that funny dark lavender version (I was just blind and didn't read the whole page).
I REALLY want one of the sage ones though, it looks very cool; and the scrollpoint doesn't glow (I think it's a waste of power; having it on 24/7 for 2 years can add up).

Quote from: TexasFlood;164547
FYI, through tomorrow there is a Lenovo sale on.  I think it's 15% extra off. Comes out to $16.32 + tax at friends & family site, free shipping.

They have as much sales as soundsonline (which is, every day of the week). The lenovo products are becomming so DULL. They're also starting to sell non-IBM things... if I want to buy a cheap overpriced logitech mouse or acer monitor, I can go to THEIR websites. I won't even comment on the keyboards.

Offline TexasFlood

IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 16:53:10 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;164576
They have as much sales as soundsonline (which is, every day of the week). The lenovo products are becomming so DULL. They're also starting to sell non-IBM things... if I want to buy a cheap overpriced logitech mouse or acer monitor, I can go to THEIR websites. I won't even comment on the keyboards.
Lenovo always has a coupon or discount on something.  Less often do they have a % off of an entire line such as accessories.  I almost bit on the trackpoint keyboard, but just didn't have the cash this time.  Probably will get it next time it's down around $40 and I have the cash.

Offline didjamatic

IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 16:54:58 »
I got one of these for the scroll point and USB to do a hack on a trackball.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 16:57:45 »
Are those mice ball or optical?

EDIT: Sorry, didn't look at the pics. Might get one anyway for the lulz.

I wonder how similar the Lenovo ones are... You could get one for cheap and hack it to be optical with the guts of the Lenovo one.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 March 2010, 17:10:04 by ch_123 »

Offline EverythingIBM

IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 17:29:14 »
Quote from: ch_123;166188
Are those mice ball or optical?

EDIT: Sorry, didn't look at the pics. Might get one anyway for the lulz.

I wonder how similar the Lenovo ones are... You could get one for cheap and hack it to be optical with the guts of the Lenovo one.

yeah it would be possible, the mouse is divided into two bezels. Someone should combine a white and black scrollpoint together. The lenovo ones are 1005 similar.

Although I'd prefer the ball. Uses less power, can be used on any surface, more accurate for moving the cursor slower, and, IT HAS A BALL. WOW.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 17:38:37 »
On second thoughts, I might wait till a Scrollpoint Pro comes around. How common are those?

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 17:50:35 »
The problem here is that as a Trackpoint and Trackball user, mice bore me, and I tend to only get them if they are particularly interesting (I have a great gamer's mouse, but I'm thinking of selling it to a friend as I never use it) And then I don't really want to spend huge amounts of money on them as I know that I'll never use them often to justify anything more than a basic investment. Getting my original PS/2 mouse for about €5, and the Trackpoint-I for about €10 was great. I'm not sure if the above Scrollpoint is worth it, even if it's only going to cost me €10 too. I'd probably pay more for a Scrollpoint Pro, but not that much.

Offline EverythingIBM

IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 17:53:02 »
Quote from: kishy;166198
I can't speak for actual rarity, but having saved searches on eBay that watch out for IBM hardware of all sorts...I can tell you I've not ONCE seen one listed such that it would ship to Canada (perhaps in-USA only, but you'd want international anyway, and if they won't do Canada they usually won't do overseas). That's in a 2 year period approximately.

I've seen two listings that DID ship to canada: but often or not they mislabeled it as I heretofore said.

I WANT AN ANCIENT SAGE ONE!! If I get the money, I'll just order the one they have for $100 on memory4less. If It's a lenovo, I'd be pretty mad. Although, I don't think lenovo made them or branded them with lenovo.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 18:00:33 »
Basically the same mouse, but with a different 'top'. Interesting.

But the thing about the Scrollpoint Pro is that it's actually the sort of mouse I'd use, not a strange curio. Unlike some, I don't have a basement full of computers to be equipped. Hell, I don't even have a basement, as much as I'd like one.

Offline EverythingIBM

IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 18:11:50 »
Quote from: kishy;166202
I can definitely agree with what you're saying...mice are simple, generally not very interesting devices. The ScrollPoint in general is a bit interesting since it's kind of like a TrackPoint stuck on top of your mouse.

You need to spray something on those IBM logos if you want to keep them, it looks like they're clutching for dear life to stay visible. Although, mine looks like it just came out of the factory since I don't put much of my hand on it.

Offline TexasFlood

IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 18:19:37 »
Quote from: kishy;166202
Photos of my current IBM/Lenovo optical mice:

I just got back from Lencrafters and they had those black ones with red scroll wheels...

Offline TexasFlood

IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 18:26:30 »
Quote from: kishy;166217
They were standard equipment with a whole bunch of late NetVistas, ThinkCentres and other equipment...there've gotta be millions of them out there. It's one example of something ridiculously common that does end up being reasonably good.

Yup, I got an IBM scrollpoint mouse years ago with a NetVista at a job.  It had the wrong driver and I didn't realize what it was or could do with the right driver, so I found a Microsoft scroll wheel mouse and ditched the IBM one.  So did a lot of folks, I probably saw dozens of them get tossed out back then but only thought "Good riddance".  Sigh, live and learn.

Offline TexasFlood

IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 19:24:35 »
Quote from: kishy;166222
Well, to be clear, I meant the ones with the red wheels. I've never actually seen a ScrollPoint (the one with the blue knob) as standard equipment but it wouldn't surprise me if some system had it included at some point.
Yeah, the ones we have were (off)white with blue non-lit scrollpointers, kinda like the scrollpoint II shown below from the IBM Almaden Research site..  Unfortunately we, me included, were all to dumb to realize the beauty of them.  We were used to the Micro$oft scroll wheels and there were old ones around to be had so...

« Last Edit: Mon, 22 March 2010, 19:57:03 by TexasFlood »

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 23 March 2010, 12:08:43 »
That's why I'll end up calling my next Thinkpad order w/ them in and insisting on a logo-delete of Lenovo. Covering it w/ stickers just isn't an option.

This aluminum badge might be a nice option for you, if it fits your thinkpad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350322433822

Offline sethstorm

IBM Scrollpoint Pro
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 27 March 2010, 20:31:05 »
Quote from: nowsharing;166340
This aluminum badge might be a nice option for you, if it fits your thinkpad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350322433822

That would be a nice touch. Those look like z61 silver lid logos, are they not?  I currently have IBM-logo Thinkpads despite having the Lenovo-era T60p, a Lenovo-era refit T42p (bought & shipped before Lenovo, 1/25/2005), and an IBM x31(w/ extended battery & slice).  Thus it would be something I'd look at when I can afford the latest w7xxds.

I don't want Lenovo plastered all over(the indicator panel at the bottom of the LCD panel and the LCD lid are major offenders).  The manufacturer stickers at the bottom (the ones relating to COA & type-model) are about as much as I can tolerate.  If the BIOS were amenable to logo-fixing, I'd fix that too.

The Lenovo logo does not deserve to be on the Thinkpad box.  It(the company) has not earned the reputation built over time from IBM.
Current: