Author Topic: Well Hello There  (Read 1736 times)

Offline Wannabe

• Independent Adjudicator
Well Hello There
« on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 09:20:24 »
Hello GH!

I got my first mechanical keyboard in 2011 with the Razer Blackwidow and since then I've been hooked on achieving the ultimate typing experience. Long time lurker here and on reddit...don't have a preference on site and think both have their pros and cons and I enjoy both simply for providing awesome pictures and interesting discussion. Made an account so I can be more involved in the Classifieds/Group Buy scene, as well as the DIY scene. I just bought my first DIY kit with the Ortholinear Neutrino (65%) keyboard and participated in my first keycap groupbuy with Granite on MD.

A list of the boards I own (some images can be found here...and yes there is a shoe...I fell for it: http://imgur.com/a/DeYVI and http://imgur.com/a/XpZPT
TG3 BL82 (re-branded Deck used in police cruisers) - MX Black (current home daily driver)
Leopold FC660C - Topre (current work daily driver)
KeyCool 84 - MX Brown
KBT PurePro - Bought with MX Black, modified to now have MX Blue
Full size Filco - MX Blue
Full size Rosewill - MX Brown
Noppoo Choc Mini - MX Blue
Ducky Shine 2 Fullsize - MX Brown
Ducky Shine 2 TKL - MX Red
WASD Fullsize - MX Red
Ducky Fullsize Something - Green alps clone
CM Storm QFR TKL - MX Red

There might be one or two I can't remember at the moment. Eventually I would like to own one of all the major switch types.
I liek keyboards

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Well Hello There
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 09:32:49 »
Welcome to Geekhack! Nice collection :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 02:33:20 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

A nice collection, and a commendable plan - to own a keyboard with one of each major switch type.

How far back are you thinking of going?  Model M and F buckling spring are fairly major.  And a few people would insist that Hall effect switches are (were) a major player.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Wannabe

• Independent Adjudicator
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 10:54:41 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

A nice collection, and a commendable plan - to own a keyboard with one of each major switch type.

How far back are you thinking of going?  Model M and F buckling spring are fairly major.  And a few people would insist that Hall effect switches are (were) a major player.

I think that's a decision my wallet will have to decide. About 1.5 years ago I thought I had all Cherry versions (Brown, Black, Blue, and Red) but now that Green and Clear are on full boards I want one of each of those. I'm in the market for a buckling springs (SSK being top choice since I love smaller form factors but that's mostly a pipe dream). And then I have to decide how many different ALPs I want to chase down and now there's all the clone switches...
I liek keyboards

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 05:06:05 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I think that's a decision my wallet will have to decide. About 1.5 years ago I thought I had all Cherry versions (Brown, Black, Blue, and Red) but now that Green and Clear are on full boards I want one of each of those. I'm in the market for a buckling springs (SSK being top choice since I love smaller form factors but that's mostly a pipe dream). And then I have to decide how many different ALPs I want to chase down and now there's all the clone switches...

You seem to have forgotten Cherry MX white, milk, (depending on who you talk to, there is some overlap between white, milk and clear), both types of grays.  Then there are vintage versions of some of those, which feel so different to the modern variants that they are almost different switches!

Next up you have Kailh switches, which are basically MX compatible.

And not Gateron, that produce their own range of MX-compatible switches.

Then there's ALPS ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ