Author Topic: Glorious Return to Mechanical Keyboards...  (Read 1885 times)

Offline xepherys

Glorious Return to Mechanical Keyboards...
« on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 09:00:23 »
Hello all,

I've recently decided that a mechanical keyboard purchase is imminent.  While I don't dislike the chiclet keys on my Mac keyboard (yes, I'm a filthy Mac user), I've really missed my IBM Model M that died many years ago.  So here I am, trying to find the keyboard that's right for me and rejoin the glorious mechanical nation.  Hello out there!

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
Re: Glorious Return to Mechanical Keyboards...
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 09:45:38 »
Hi!

You should look at the Unicomp Model M for Macs. Get the best of both worlds!

Offline xepherys

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 10:38:57 »
Wow.  I can't say I'm not interested in that.  But it's also so...  homely.  lol  Oh man, but I do love the buckling spring!

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 19:04:52 »
Welcome and enjoy your trip down the rabbit hole.  :cool:

As a Mac user, I too took the plunge back into mechanicals when I googled for a smaller Model M. Ended up falling in love with the 60% form factor, but it'll be interesting to see where you land.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 20:16:27 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Nothing wrong with using a Mac, I've been using one at home for years.  I also use Model M keyboards on my Mac with a simple PS/2 to USB adaptor, or one of orihalcon's SDL to USB cables.  Works like a dream!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline xepherys

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 08:57:13 »
Nice to see the Model M love on the Mac.  For now I ended up getting a custom WASD with Cherry MX blues - just put in the order last night.  I'm sure that I'll end up getting another mechanical sometime this year for work (probably not with blues, I think me coworkers would kill me).  But I'm also very interested in a 60% kb as well.  I've used full 104-key boards forever, and I DO like the tenkey - I use it at work all the time for banking tasks - but for coding and writing at home, a 60% fascinates me.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 19:13:44 »
Nice to see the Model M love on the Mac.  For now I ended up getting a custom WASD with Cherry MX blues - just put in the order last night.  I'm sure that I'll end up getting another mechanical sometime this year for work (probably not with blues, I think me coworkers would kill me).  But I'm also very interested in a 60% kb as well.  I've used full 104-key boards forever, and I DO like the tenkey - I use it at work all the time for banking tasks - but for coding and writing at home, a 60% fascinates me.

You can always get a TKL or 60%, plus a separate numpad!  Best of both worlds :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ