Author Topic: Frame painting supplies questions  (Read 2991 times)

Offline zemp

• FREE ITENS PLS
Frame painting supplies questions
« on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 20:51:50 »
Where can i buy all the supplies i need? with cheap/free shipping to canada
primer paint sandpaper etc. thanks

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Re: Frame painting supplies questions
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 20:57:49 »
Where can i buy all the supplies i need? with cheap/free shipping to canada
primer paint sandpaper etc. thanks

Google :)  Hardware stores, auto supply stores.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 21:51:23 »
best to get most paints locally, as the aerosols can't be shipped by air, and the liquids are freakin heavy. keep in mind that once you get a layer of primer on the material, you can use anything that will stick to that primer, and as you layer, you can use anything that will stick to the last layer. the sky is really the limit (or the ozone if they're all aerosol bottles :P). the nice thing about aerosolized paints is that you can get really nice even coats without using an externally pressurized sprayer. otherwise, they're the same basic paint as what's in the bottles AND what's really cool about artists acrylic paints is that they have vastly different textures that you can manipulate with brushes. i'm really looking forward to seeing some design-work on these cases, if you can't tell ;)

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline zemp

• FREE ITENS PLS
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 11:43:22 »
Thanks everyone!
I'm out to buy my paint now. I'm planing to go Chrome or Gold because my neighbor is a Graffiti Artist.
Il make a build log soon :D  ^-^

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 11:56:06 »
Thanks everyone!
I'm out to buy my paint now. I'm planing to go Chrome or Gold because my neighbor is a Graffiti Artist.
Il make a build log soon :D  ^-^

Your neighbor does graffiti in metallic colors?  That's pretty cool if so :)
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 11:58:54 »
Yeah... Montana Gold has metallic offerings these days including chrome.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline zemp

• FREE ITENS PLS
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 16:30:21 »
My neighbors is hard core  black and chrome.
I can't seem to find plastic primer in Calgary, Canada any online?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 20:14:23 »
chrome graffiti is baller.

photoelectric's and other previous posts from other users recommend rustoleum products as a plastic primer. look at p-el's threads and others in this forum for the products they're using as prime. i'm kind of curious to see if gesso sticks as a primer too. there's a spray gesso out there somewhere you can find at blick's, and there are some thin very low viscosity gessos (all acrylic liquids) that could work either applied with an airbrush or a large rough brush.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline zemp

• FREE ITENS PLS
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 20:17:09 »
I've seem some other people paint without primer.  What's the difference if u use primer
Also, is the clear  top coat needed?  But

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 20:47:18 »
Let me give your a primer on primer (...). There are three reasons for primer:
- It covers well, in a neutral colour. This is good if you have sanded layers of paints, done repairs, used putty, etc. You want a consistent surface under the paints, because most paints are a little transparent and without primer those inconsistencies may show.
The coverage will also make dents and cracks more visible, so that you can fix them with putty.
- It adheres to the surface and is porous on the top, making paint adhere better. There are different types of primer for different types of surfaces, but there are often "generic" primer that work well in most circumstances, especially for plastic. Use special primer for aluminium, though.
- It sands easily.

If all you are going to do is paint a plastic frame into another colour, then you won't need primer.
No need to cover or expose flaws,  If the paint has a solvent in it that also dissolves plastic (I.e. is not oil-based or water-based), then it will adhere well to plastic without primer. No need to sand.

As a general rule, use the same brand and line for primer, paint and clearcoat -- that way you will be sure that they are compatible with each other. That is especially important for paint and clearcoat. Also, don't stray from the instructions on the can.
Clearcoat can add extra protection, and also change the shine. Paints are not always available in matte / satin / gloss, but you can use gloss clearcoat on top of matte paint or vice versa.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 20:51:49 »
the major polymer degradator for ABS (which these cases are made of) is acetone. a small amount of acetone mixed into an acrylic paint might actually give interesting results (and i mean really small. acetone vapor is enough to visibly degrade the surface of abs objects). i'd like to see someone try this. as always, i have cases for experimenters! :)