Author Topic: hello! need help finding a key!  (Read 4445 times)

Offline archer

hello! need help finding a key!
« on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 12:03:37 »
Hi everyone! I'm new to the keycap game, but I've been really enjoying trying to collect keycaps and make my keyboards look different than the norm. :)

I need a little help; I've been trying (and failing) to locate a cherry profile teal esc key. It could also be blank, as long as it's row 4, cherry profile.

If anyone knows where I could find one of these, I would greatly appreciate it!

I'd post this into the classified, but I don't have the proper post count yet.

Thanks everyone for your time  :thumb:

Offline Austin Powers

Re: hello! need help finding a key!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 12:20:48 »

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 12:23:07 »
He's looking for a teal Esc, not a Red.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline archer

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 12:29:50 »
Thanks for the replies. Like Comp said, I'm looking for a teal ESC key. I recently received my gmk dolch set, thanks to originative, and thought a teal ESC key would really look nice.. To make it like the dolch logo  :D

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 12:43:56 »
I hope SP's DCS profile isn't out of the question, as it's similar to Cherry.

Pick a color - http://keycapsdirect.com/images/colors/absblue.JPG
Try to find a cap in that color - http://keycapsdirect.com/inventorypdfs/DCSABSInventory.pdf

Pick a color - http://keycapsdirect.com/images/colors/pbtBlues.JPG
Try to find a cap in that color - http://keycapsdirect.com/inventorypdfs/DCSPBTInventory.pdf

Order here - http://keycapsdirect.com/key-capsinventory.php

Or maybe look here - http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/marketplace.php

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 12:45:57 »
I checked pimpmykeyboard already, they don't have teal...

tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 12:52:00 »

People's mental definitions of colors are always cloudy. I would think pointing him to where he might find something similar and letting him decide if it's the cap he wants is preferable. Or maybe he decides that he's willing to accept something close enough.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 12:55:45 »
Didn't that GMK GB for purple mods and CMYK mods include a set of Esc keys?  One of them was blueish, is that close enough?  Also there was a limited set of Teal keys from SP, wasn't there?  I know SP isn't Cherry profile, but then again neither is WASD.

Edit: are these close enough? http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41017.0

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 12:57:42 »
That GB had an Escape Pack. One was Purple with White legends, one was White with Red legends, and the last was Green with White legends. The CMYK pack didn't come with an Escape, and neither did the Purple mods (in the Escape Pack).

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 13:02:25 »
For true Cherry key, it doesn't exist yet... except for on discolored yellowed Triumph Adler G80-3XXX which is supposed to be bright blue really.

You probably won't be able to find one though. Maybe I, or originative will offer in the future.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 13:03:46 »

People's mental definitions of colors are always cloudy. I would think pointing him to where he might find something similar and letting him decide if it's the cap he wants is preferable. Or maybe he decides that he's willing to accept something close enough.

He's looking for a teal to match a Dolch set, so this is the color he is looking for:

As far as I can tell, there's nothing on pimpmykeyboard that is quite what he's looking for.

Didn't that GMK GB for purple mods and CMYK mods include a set of Esc keys?  One of them was blueish, is that close enough?  Also there was a limited set of Teal keys from SP, wasn't there?  I know SP isn't Cherry profile, but then again neither is WASD.

Those Alt keys in that post are more of what he is looking for I think.  But then again, as esoomenona said, it's his choice.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 13:04:30 »
For true Cherry key, it doesn't exist yet... except for on discolored yellowed Triumph Adler G80-3XXX which is supposed to be bright blue really.
Show Image

You probably won't be able to find one though. Maybe I, or originative will offer in the future.

I was wondering about that one ^.  I thought it was actually teal.  The discoloration suits that set very well :)
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 13:06:49 »
Maybe it's time for a CMY escape pack :eek:

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 13:06:59 »
It would be this blue for true color

which would actually be more close to the color Dolch logo I suppose.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 October 2013, 13:09:17 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline archer

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 15:02:56 »
At work right now, so I'll have to check out everyone's suggestions when I get home later. But I'd like to thank you all for taking the time to reply and give me suggestions as to how I can possibly complete my dolch board! I really appreciate it.

Offline RabRhee

• Life is just a box of cherries.
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 15:49:31 »
Ok, so here are the results from the UK Rab crap bag (This is a Eurovision song contest reference to those blessed with never having seen it)

I have a blue-grey 'Escape' key seconds, with the loop missing from the e, not really teal though.

Or on the SP DCS profile, here are the top row blanks, I think the 2 to the right of the navy ones could be considered meh, not quite teal, more cyan ish, it is quite a vivid colour, compare to the blues either side.  I guess real teal is more green, I got nothing really that shade exactly from SP
39335-1

Neither of these are in use by me, although ideally I would like to keep one of the two blanks in case I ever get the urge to go blank unicorn vomit at a later date. PM if any use :) 
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 October 2013, 15:52:25 by RabRhee »
-Life is good-          Crafting: |  KeychainsMore.   .Keychains | Crowdsource Key | Budget Keycap Board |

QFR Dvorak Greens | Neo 87 Dvorak Blues

Offline archer

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 16:44:18 »

That cyan would be perfect! If only they made esc keys with that color in that set.

Maybe it's time for a CMY escape pack :eek:

Agreed  :D

I hope SP's DCS profile isn't out of the question, as it's similar to Cherry.

Pick a color - http://keycapsdirect.com/images/colors/absblue.JPG
Try to find a cap in that color - http://keycapsdirect.com/inventorypdfs/DCSABSInventory.pdf

Pick a color - http://keycapsdirect.com/images/colors/pbtBlues.JPG
Try to find a cap in that color - http://keycapsdirect.com/inventorypdfs/DCSPBTInventory.pdf

Order here - http://keycapsdirect.com/key-capsinventory.php

Or maybe look here - http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/marketplace.php

From the looks of it, the BBQ color in the absblue.jpg link would be pretty much spot on. Unfortunately, I didn't see any with that color in the DCSABSInventory.pdf. Thank you though!

Also, thanks again everyone for helping me out, I really appreciate it!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 16:52:34 »
From the looks of it, the BBQ color in the absblue.jpg link would be pretty much spot on. Unfortunately, I didn't see any with that color in the DCSABSInventory.pdf. Thank you though!

I'm not so sure about the BBQ. Supposedly, the Miami set uses that color, and it just looks different: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2855/10299166073_5a30ec8c6b_h.jpg

Now how about that Gas Mask? Maybe that might be your calling.

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 17:13:29 »
Moose is correct that BBQ won't match perfectly the teal color in the dolch color. The BBQ color is more blue than green. It is the closest stock color SP has to the teal dolch logo
----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 17:20:33 »

I'm not so sure about the BBQ. Supposedly, the Miami set uses that color, and it just looks different:

Show Image

I agree, that GasMask looks just about right.  Color is pretty darn close. Would be perfect if you don't mind using a novelty key...
tp thread is tp thread

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 17:27:36 »

I'm not so sure about the BBQ. Supposedly, the Miami set uses that color, and it just looks different:

Show Image

I agree, that GasMask looks just about right.  Color is pretty darn close. Would be perfect if you don't mind using a novelty key...

And if you can manage to find one!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline archer

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 23:09:02 »

Show Image

Show Image

And if you can manage to find one!

Whoa, that gas mask would be perfect! The color looks great.

I'm guessing those are pretty tough to find though? :(

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 08:08:34 »
They shouldn't be too tough, I would think. Being that people could buy 4 at a time, I imagine if you managed to get 60 posts under your belt and start a Classifieds thread for one, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting one.

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 09:06:09 »
They shouldn't be too tough, I would think. Being that people could buy 4 at a time, I imagine if you managed to get 60 posts under your belt and start a Classifieds thread for one, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting one.

Thiss ^^

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline archer

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 10:13:49 »
Looks like I need to get my post count up! I saw someone selling one in the classifieds, but he seems to be still debating whether he wants to sell it or not. Hopefully he does.

In the meantime, I'll just have to post more. Definitely no more lurking, it seems. :-X

Offline archer

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 21:54:35 »
Thanks to everyone in here that helped me out! I purchased and received a gasmask today in the mail!  :D

Here's a couple pics.. Sorry for cell phone quality.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 00:46:02 »
Thanks to everyone in here that helped me out! I purchased and received a gasmask today in the mail!  :D

Here's a couple pics.. Sorry for cell phone quality.

Excellent match - looks fantastic!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ