Author Topic: F-row less TKL keyboard  (Read 7585 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
F-row less TKL keyboard
« on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 08:37:25 »
Now, when Cygnus is cancelled, is there any other project with f-row less TKL keyboard?
I always wanted f-row less tkl board and this was going to be something cool, now is dead:(
Anyone is planning to run similar design?
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 January 2020, 02:33:03 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Maledicted

Re: F-row less TKL keybaord
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 09:08:14 »
Now, when Cygnus is cancelled, is there any other project with f-row less TKL keyboard?
I always wanted f-row less tkl board and this was going to be something cool, now is dead:(

Model F77?  ;D

Offline phinix

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 09:20:03 »

Model F77?  ;D

Noooo ;D

I mean TKL profile, but no F row. So cursor and Insert clusters are still there in usual place.

So far I know about Cygnus and CROSS 70% FRL keyboard.

Dream come true would be Rama making Cygnus-like keyboard, with rgb led and hot-swap...

EDIT: SMol TKL is similar, only not a full GB, plus nav cluster is close to alpha.
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 January 2020, 02:34:03 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 09:55:56 »
I'm pretty sure that Ellipses' new Fs can be configured in the way you prefer:

That's the option that I chose. If you got one of the ultra compacts, you would have something pretty close to what you might find in a brand new design as well, but with capacitive buckling springs to boot, though I imagine the emphasis is on an extremely slender keyboard from front to back.

I'm out of ideas there though. I'm usually fine with a 75% myself. Have you thought about designing a plate/case and/or hand-wiring one?

That Cross board looks pretty cool.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 January 2020, 10:04:08 by Maledicted »

Offline thearctican

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 11:06:37 »
It's called the Uniqey C70, or you could make it work with any 65% board since you're going to use a function key anyway.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 11:52:29 »
It's called the Uniqey C70, or you could make it work with any 65% board since you're going to use a function key anyway.

I saw at least one with a similar layout on Amazon, and it does intrigue me. I have a feeling that he wants to be able to use it like any other TKL without an adjustment to muscle memory, but maybe not. I know I hate anything that doesn't have dedicated arrow keys myself (for example), since doing things like navigating Google Sheets effectively already involves multiple modifier keys.

Offline phinix

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 14:38:05 »

I saw at least one with a similar layout on Amazon, and it does intrigue me. I have a feeling that he wants to be able to use it like any other TKL without an adjustment to muscle memory, but maybe not. I know I hate anything that doesn't have dedicated arrow keys myself (for example), since doing things like navigating Google Sheets effectively already involves multiple modifier keys.

Exactly. Muscle memory is the problem. I tried 65% keyboards and it was like igony, I cannot switch to different layoyt. If I could I would already buy myself  something like Space65 or CA66, Koyu. But I can't use them, I need to have cursor cluster on the right and Insert one on top.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 January 2020, 02:22:58 by phinix »

Offline waymon

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 17:35:44 »
I am also looking for this keyboard.

Varmilo VA68M is close but never in stock..and I'd fully programmable.

Offline phinix

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 02:25:33 »

I had Varmilo va68, but that moved cursor cluster was a bit off putting for me.
I couldn't properly hit Del, as I use my hand to first find cursors keys then jump on insert cluster.
I don't know what is wrong with me, but I cannot adjust to 65% keyboards, when I really would love to use one.
FRL is my last chance:)

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 21:17:28 »
I have a similar project. (though... it's more similar to Smol TKL than the Cygnus)

Here are some pics
234700-0
PCB in the work, soldering some RGB leds... I'm clumsy in this...

234696-1
this one has no RGB leds.

234698-2
layout with 4 bottom-row mod keys on the left.

specs:
- ATMega32u4 with QMK
- USB Type-C connector
- ESD Proection (I put the esd protection diode in the board, as instructed but not sure if it works)
- RGB Backlight
- non-hotswap (but it should be compatible with mill-max sockets, have not tested though)
- acrylic sandwich case is available.

supported layout:
234702-3

it was my mistake that I don't put a gap between the main typing area and the nav clusters.

I don't think I can run GB of this, as I can only offer acrylic sandwich case, also I have not figured out how to ship internationally with acceptable cost.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 00:32:26 »
I have a similar project. (though... it's more similar to Smol TKL than the Cygnus)

Here are some pics
(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

specs:
- ATMega32u4 with QMK
- USB Type-C connector
- ESD Proection (I put the esd protection diode in the board, as instructed but not sure if it works)
- RGB Backlight
- non-hotswap (but it should be compatible with mill-max sockets, have not tested though)

supported layout:
(Attachment Link)

it was my mistake that I don't put a gap between the main typing area and the nav clusters.

I don't think I can run GB of this, as I can only offer acrylic sandwich case, also I have not figured out how to ship internationally with acceptable cost.

Cool board you've got there. Soldering tiny SMD components like LEDs is not a walk in the park. I wonder if there being a space would really matter for most people. I would think they would be fine with it so long as they can generally feel out where they want their right hand to be vs the nav cluster just being kind of thrown up almost arbitrarily all over that part of the board.

Offline phinix

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 02:29:34 »

Here are some pics
(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

specs:
- ATMega32u4 with QMK
- USB Type-C connector
- RGB Backlight

supported layout:
(Attachment Link)

Yeah, something like that would be good. I would actually prefer the gap:)

Offline chilinut

Re: F-row less TKL keyboard
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 23 February 2021, 18:20:53 »
The Drevo Calibur 71 is a TKL without an F-row. Its $60 on amazon and has Outemu switches. I've used one with outemu blues for a year and I love it. For the switch I actually like the outemu blues better than gateron. I have a 65% too (actuationkeyboard timber) and I prefer the Drevo over it.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 24 February 2021, 10:47:51 »

If you can handle the VA68 layout, you might want to look into the IKKI68 Aurora. It's coming into GB now.

Offline waymon

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 24 February 2021, 10:59:35 »

If you can handle the VA68 layout, you might want to look into the IKKI68 Aurora. It's coming into GB now.

ha. Thanks but I already own the original IKKI68.  Its glorious.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 24 February 2021, 13:51:32 »
MORE keys = BETTER

More keys is more convenient, they just need to be out of the way. of the mouse.

Putting on the left is a good solution, the other of course is Split board like Ergodox.

Offline azzipa

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 17:57:41 »
Calibur 71 is only commercial frl/tkl (aka 70% board) that i'm aware of but 2021 shaping up as the year this format goes 'mainstream'

Onyx currently in group buy ends in the next day or so, max is 690 units and offers wk or frl/tkl/wkl
Calliope starts saturday, 70 total units, frl/tkl/wkl only
Eclipse will follow, with 150 units in wk and wkl variants
Cucumber at some point, probably, in frl/tkl/wkl only

my personal preference is for the Eclipse. the macro column for Onyx looks off, to me. Calliope doesn't work because wkl only and i'm not a fan of the design above the arrow cluster. Cucumber is also wkl only.

The Drevo Calibur 71 is a TKL without an F-row. Its $60 on amazon and has Outemu switches. I've used one with outemu blues for a year and I love it. For the switch I actually like the outemu blues better than gateron. I have a 65% too (actuationkeyboard timber) and I prefer the Drevo over it.

Offline phinix

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 18:06:03 »
Yeah, those coming up lately, starting to be popular format, good:)

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 27 February 2021, 10:50:20 »
I have to admit that the designs with the F-keys on the left-side are really cool and should become more mainstream.

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 28 February 2021, 19:21:09 »
Seems like it's time to revive the fleXMIT layout.

263216-0

I had this idea a long time ago - for my Hall effect keyboards - of making a PCB with different regions that you could just break apart as needed. Each part of the keyboard would occupy a distinct part of a 16x8 matrix. Each section could be connected with a 24-pin header (at most) so you could just buy a single PCB, break it apart at the perforations, and stitch together whatever layout you wanted.

The FKL/TKL would just be fleXMIT 1+2.  ;D

Offline azzipa

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 28 February 2021, 19:48:19 »
i hate the waste but love the concept. big brain stuff!

Seems like it's time to revive the fleXMIT layout.

(Attachment Link)

I had this idea a long time ago - for my Hall effect keyboards - of making a PCB with different regions that you could just break apart as needed. Each part of the keyboard would occupy a distinct part of a 16x8 matrix. Each section could be connected with a 24-pin header (at most) so you could just buy a single PCB, break it apart at the perforations, and stitch together whatever layout you wanted.

The FKL/TKL would just be fleXMIT 1+2.  ;D

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 05 March 2021, 07:54:25 »
The "No Fn Key" concept itself is quite old. My favorite F-row less keyboard (admittedly not a TKL) is the NeXT keyboard. Her's my NeXT AAE non-ADB example. Note the symmetric Shift keys and epic Space bar.

263786-0

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 05 March 2021, 10:32:55 »
The "No Fn Key" concept itself is quite old. My favorite F-row less keyboard (admittedly not a TKL) is the NeXT keyboard. Her's my NeXT AAE non-ADB example. Note the symmetric Shift keys and epic Space bar.

(Attachment Link)

These are really cool boards. I'm glad I snagged one. The only reason it is never in my rotation at all yet is the switches seem a little scratchy and I don't want to ruin them ... even if they are just black Alps.