Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1314072 times)

Offline scotprice

Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #4400 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 20:36:54 »
i just got  some audio technica ath-m50's.  so far they are better than any other headphone Ive ever tried.  im looking forward to seeing how far down the rabbit hole good headphones will take me.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #4401 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 22:53:08 »
Oh hey, somehow I didn't notice this thread before.

No pics, since I don't feel like cleaning off my desk right now, but running Mad Dogs + Racoon SG-300 here.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #4402 on: Sat, 04 June 2016, 02:07:35 »
auditioning some higher end headphones gave me a greater appreciation of my dt990s, they still fared extremely well against hd800, 800 S, and even stax sr-009. also, very pleased with how well my anedio D1dac/amp setup does against sennheiser hdva800, and a marantz hd-dac1 and stax srm007. imo the D1 performs slightly better than even the hdva800, which is a pleasant surprise considering the cost difference, as well as how much i paid for my D1

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4403 on: Sat, 04 June 2016, 02:14:59 »
Yeah I wasn't totally blown away by the HD800 when I got to briefly demo them at a local meet up (ironically it was a keyboard meet). I do wanna try the 800S though!
I love Elzy

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #4404 on: Sat, 04 June 2016, 02:20:11 »
Yeah I wasn't totally blown away by the HD800 when I got to briefly demo them at a local meet up (ironically it was a keyboard meet). I do wanna try the 800S though!

not enough difference to justify the huge markup... tbh even switching immediately from one to the other it was insanely hard to notice any difference...

I do however greatly prefer the HD800 to pretty much every headphone I've tried. I'll probably go back in a few weeks time to test out the LCD series and Hifiman's higher end stuff (only tried up to 400S) and see whether my preferences change to planars.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4405 on: Sat, 04 June 2016, 10:04:29 »
Anyone here has ordered/owns the "best bang for buck" earbuds (VE Monk Plus) everybody is raving about? Maybe you can tell a bit the earbuds - are they something WOW! or are they just above average for 5 bucks?

Have read good reviews about the sound and stuff so I ordered one pair. Would be used for bike riding probably, so I can hear the surroundings and still have some random guitar solos in my mind at the same time.
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4406 on: Sat, 04 June 2016, 13:14:12 »
auditioning some higher end headphones gave me a greater appreciation of my dt990s, they still fared extremely well against hd800, 800 S, and even stax sr-009. also, very pleased with how well my anedio D1dac/amp setup does against sennheiser hdva800, and a marantz hd-dac1 and stax srm007. imo the D1 performs slightly better than even the hdva800, which is a pleasant surprise considering the cost difference, as well as how much i paid for my D1
I have the DT990 Premium and it does hold up well against the HD800, but I do feel that the HD800 is more resolving and add to that, its well known soundstage separates it from the DT990. I listen to them on my Oppo HA-1 (and sometimes on my Gustard X12/H10 stack) and the difference between the two is subtle but appreciable.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4407 on: Sat, 04 June 2016, 14:21:02 »
TIL Sennheiser HD 650 cable works with HD 25. There are such cables for $15 on eBay, and they actually look good.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #4408 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 23:11:22 »
I've been using a pair of beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80's since my freshman year of highschool. (5 years ago) They're really nice headphones. A noticable bass emphasis with very sparkly highs but recessed mids. Large soundstage for a closed headphone and overall have an open sound but still isolate well. Velour pads are super comfy but I think they are a little too heavy for me and the cable is too stiff and likes to coil up.

I'm wanting to buy a pair of Sennheiser RS-220 or 180's next, I've heard they are very similar to the HD-600 or HD-650 but they are wireless.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 June 2016, 23:13:50 by klennkellon »

Offline Carcharocles

• Location: In the lonely, desolate wasteland of South Kansas City
    • The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #4409 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 15:58:28 »
My MDR-7506's broke after an incident, and I decided that I might want to try a different set. Behold, the ATH-M40x. Not used to the flatter sound, but it's also still burning in. That said, the sound is much less fatiguing than the Sony's. There's less of a mid-bass hump, so I don't get that punchy effect, but the highs are clearer and the base itself is much more well-rounded. A day or so of burning in and I'll update how they sound.

I did steal the Beyerdynamic Velour pads from my Sonys and put them on this headphone. No clue how it changed the sound since I didn't listen to them before hand, but Head Fi seems to think it improves them a bit.

The headphones also come with 2 detachable cables--a long straight one that can plug into an iPod, iPhone, tablet or really anything with a 3.5mm jack, and a coiled one with a much larger jack meant for higher end stereo setups.

139441-0
139443-1
T1000 , Firmware ver. Doge.

Most deadly of them all.
Keyboards: Drevo Gramr (Outemu Browns); Logitech K480

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4410 on: Sat, 18 June 2016, 08:20:24 »
xpost.

Just wanted to share what I got today! Well, they are impressive for 5 bucks, that's for sure. Wanted to try some earbuds after a long time. This are alright but need a little more time to get used to them.

Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #4411 on: Sat, 18 June 2016, 11:41:44 »
Can't wait for padawan to get the new focals that are coming out next month.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4412 on: Sun, 19 June 2016, 03:57:11 »
^
I love Elzy

Offline dannrawr

« Reply #4413 on: Sun, 19 June 2016, 05:09:59 »
My cable for my custom one pro is broken and i need to change the pad too. Fml

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WTF any Bruce, Cosmonauts

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4414 on: Sun, 19 June 2016, 05:52:21 »
Just send me the 3999USD and I'd get it......for sure! :p

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #4415 on: Sun, 19 June 2016, 12:56:31 »
Just send me the 3999USD and I'd get it......for sure! :p

Well, I'm getting the Elears probably, sooo no?

Offline Carcharocles

• Location: In the lonely, desolate wasteland of South Kansas City
    • The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #4416 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 03:47:47 »
Thought I'd update since I said I would. The M40x are very nice, probably a bit better than the 7506. However, due to their angled drivers they can sound rather... claustrophobic? Well, they just don't have good sound stage. But for something I spent 75 bucks on, I'm happy with what I got: clear highs, good mids, and controlled bass that isn't overemphasized. I wouldn't say they sound flat per se (I've heard they have a rather v-shaped sound profile), but they definitely sound flatter than my 7506's. Definitely a bit of an improvement in my opinion.
T1000 , Firmware ver. Doge.

Most deadly of them all.
Keyboards: Drevo Gramr (Outemu Browns); Logitech K480

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4417 on: Tue, 21 June 2016, 11:36:32 »
Well, I'm getting the Elears probably, sooo no?
Perhaps the Elears, but not so soon though....gonna wait for more feedback first.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #4418 on: Fri, 01 July 2016, 06:15:46 »
So my dog broke my cheap audio technicas, so I decided to grow a few and buy this. Hope it was a good decision lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #4419 on: Fri, 01 July 2016, 19:14:43 »
So my dog broke my cheap audio technicas, so I decided to grow a few and buy this. Hope it was a good decision lol

Show Image

Which pair of Fostex are those?
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #4420 on: Fri, 01 July 2016, 19:25:28 »

Show Image

Which pair of Fostex are those?
T40rp mk3

Kinda wanted t50s but these were the only set with prime.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4421 on: Fri, 01 July 2016, 22:52:17 »
T40rp mk3

First thing you've gotta do when you get the T40RP is to swap out the stock pads with Brainwav or the Alpha pads. The stock pads on my T50RP Mk2 was pretty uncomfortable, treble sounded a tad harsh and grainy, mids was too forward and bass was somewhat lacking. When I'd swapped out the stock pads with a pair of Alpha pads, it made a world of difference. Suddenly treble had smoothed out, mids was more balanced and bass was accented......and the Alpha pads were soooooo comfortable to boot! :thumb:

Oh yeah, I just wanted to share my experience with the good peeps here regarding EMI interference resulting in audio distortion. The electrical supply to my area is rather 'dirty' resulting in a watery, crackling noise when my Oppo HA-1 and KRK Rokit5 are powered on, I could hear this distortion when the volume is set to my usual listening level  which isn't that loud with nothing playing. It got worse when I played my usual games (UT3 and Serious Sam HD), especially so with UT3. I'd believe it was some sorta coil whine and figured I couldn't do anything about it (the Oppo tech guy whom had visited me told me that my setup was definitely noisy). So, the other day, I was at the local tech mall and whilst waiting for my friend, I decided to buy some ferrite chokes (see below)

I then clamped these puppies onto the power cables on my Oppo HA-1, speakers, even the PSU cable and all thos annoying distortion vanished. Man, these ferrite chokes (about 1.40USD each) are really lifesavers, saved me from going mad with those distortion (strangely, I don't hear it with my cans on). I've read that KRK speakers are known to be quite susceptible to EMI and the chokes eliminated that issue. Pretty stoked to have found a cheap and good fix for the issue I was having.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #4422 on: Sat, 02 July 2016, 14:34:37 »
T40rp mk3

First thing you've gotta do when you get the T40RP is to swap out the stock pads with Brainwav or the Alpha pads. The stock pads on my T50RP Mk2 was pretty uncomfortable, treble sounded a tad harsh and grainy, mids was too forward and bass was somewhat lacking. When I'd swapped out the stock pads with a pair of Alpha pads, it made a world of difference. Suddenly treble had smoothed out, mids was more balanced and bass was accented......and the Alpha pads were soooooo comfortable to boot! :thumb:

Oh trust me I knew about the pads ;)

« Last Edit: Sat, 02 July 2016, 14:36:30 by DaleSnail »

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #4423 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 02:28:07 »
T40rp mk3

Oh trust me I knew about the pads ;)

Show Image

Where can you buy the Alpha pads by themselves?
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #4425 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 12:36:34 »
Finally got an AMP/DAC...now I'm looking to purchase some new headphones. Stuck between the new Fostex TR90's, HiFiMan HE400s, or the AKG K553 Pro.

Unless of course one of you has a better suggestion?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #4426 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 12:44:22 »
Finally got an AMP/DAC...now I'm looking to purchase some new headphones. Stuck between the new Fostex TR90's, HiFiMan HE400s, or the AKG K553 Pro.

I like the fidelio x2 a bit more than any of those three, but if I were to have two pair of headphones, the k553 would be the second pair.  I'd mod the cable almost immediately, though, but yeah.  Another closed option that seems to be past fotm is the meze 99 classics, but I haven't had an urge to buy them myself yet.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #4427 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 13:32:27 »

I like the fidelio x2 a bit more than any of those three, but if I were to have two pair of headphones, the k553 would be the second pair.  I'd mod the cable almost immediately, though, but yeah.  Another closed option that seems to be past fotm is the meze 99 classics, but I haven't had an urge to buy them myself yet.

I'll look more into the Fidelio x2. Haven't done much research on them yet. Just looked up the Meze 99 Classics since I've never heard of them and WOW...those look amazing. Might have to save up a little more.

Thanks TJ!!!

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #4428 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 16:32:26 »
Has anyone heard of this brand of headphone before?

http://www.bravoheadphones.com/

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #4429 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 21:04:37 »

nope. and I'm having trouble seeing how they've managed to make an electrostatic headphone that doesn't require an amp...

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #4430 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 11:51:44 »

nope. and I'm having trouble seeing how they've managed to make an electrostatic headphone that doesn't require an amp...

So after reading more into these headphones I found that their drivers were created by a company called Verisonix. Interesting company and some really good looking headphones.

http://www.verisonix.com/ <- if anyone else is interested.

Offline letsjigsrocks

• Don't you think its cute?
« Reply #4431 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 16:31:20 »
Just VE monk plus  (indoor) and VJJB V1 (for outdoor).

VA87MR

Offline [Lewynlight]

• Formerly Dymloslouire
« Reply #4432 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 08:30:42 »
Koss PortaPros plugged into my motherboard's onboard audio. Supa hi-end, yo.

Show Image

same with me. except kramer mod, recabled, and i'm plugging it with an ipod :p
TGR Jane V1 CE - TGR Jane v2 - TGR Jane V2 CE  - TGR 910 R1 - TGR 910 RE Polycarbonate - TGR 910v3 Prototype - TGR Police - TGR Tris - TGR Tomo Polycarbonate - RS60 - RS65 "Pendora" - RS TKL - EM8

Offline pmck

• Software Engineer
« Reply #4433 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 05:44:22 »
i just got  some audio technica ath-m50's.  so far they are better than any other headphone Ive ever tried.  im looking forward to seeing how far down the rabbit hole good headphones will take me.

Hows the build quality, I don't know why but I'm a little skeptical about picking up a pair.

|        IBM M         |      Wasd V1      |   GH60    | KBC Poker | GHPAD |

WANTED:Nada have all I want for now!

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #4434 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 05:51:57 »

Hows the build quality, I don't know why but I'm a little skeptical about picking up a pair.

very solid, shouldnt have any problem with tossing them around. owned them for nearly half a year with 0 issues, only thing worthy of note is that the clamping force is quite high and eventually lead me to sell them.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #4435 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 06:25:54 »

First time post here :O

These bad boys are sadly going back to make room for my HD650s. I just sold my Poker and Pulse combo and looking to build my first proper amp: Bottlehead Crack Speedball combo

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #4436 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 10:55:27 »
Show Image

Show Image

First time post here :O

These bad boys are sadly going back to make room for my HD650s. I just sold my Poker and Pulse combo and looking to build my first proper amp: Bottlehead Crack Speedball combo

I just barely got myself a pair of HD600's and LOVE them!!! Saving up for a proper amp as well. Have my eyes set on the Project Ember 2.1.

After that I'm debating on the Hifiman HE560 or Audeze LCD-2.

AMAZING photos btw.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4437 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 10:48:47 »
While I'm on a headphone buying hiatus, I was in another forum recommending some cheap China made IEM's I'd read about (TFZ Series 1/2/3, Knowledge Zenith aka KZ, etc) when it struck me that I'm recommending stuff that I'd had no experience with. Well, I decided that it was time to muck around with IEM's, and cheap ones at that! I'd gone out to grab two pairs from the KZ Acoustics range - ZS3 and ED12. Though I'm having a proper seal issue with the ZS3 with the supplied ear tips (will remedy this, and improve on the ED12 by getting Comply tips), the KZ ED12 is proving to be quite true of what I'm hearing in the various forums here in my neck of the woods. They do sound good! Initial impression of the ED12: Nice almost balanced sound with a hint of forward mids and a touch bass boost (tight and NOT at all loose), it's warm sounding to me....will do further listening on my HM901s with Discrete Amp card.

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #4438 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 16:47:54 »
Are earbuds accepted here? Anybody using Ultimate Ears TF10 or UE900?  :thumb:
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4439 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 18:41:44 »
Just remembered I have an old high end cable in my drawer, I was using it with a Noble Audio Savant a while back, sold it and dumped the cable into my drawer. Anyway, the cable is an Effect Audio Thor Silver 8 Conductor cable and is pretty high end, I'm tickled pink as this is the first time I have a cable attached to an IEM which costs way, way, waaaaay less than the cable itself.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4440 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 03:27:21 »
Just remembered I have an old high end cable in my drawer, I was using it with a Noble Audio Savant a while back, sold it and dumped the cable into my drawer. Anyway, the cable is an Effect Audio Thor Silver 8 Conductor cable and is pretty high end, I'm tickled pink as this is the first time I have a cable attached to an IEM which costs way, way, waaaaay less than the cable itself.
Show Image

sell me cable for cheep ;'(

on an equally serious note, does the cable actually make a sound quality difference? I've only experienced this with headphones, but all the CIEM cables I see are expensive as ****.
I love Elzy

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4441 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 03:22:01 »
sell me cable for cheep ;'(

on an equally serious note, does the cable actually make a sound quality difference? I've only experienced this with headphones, but all the CIEM cables I see are expensive as ****.
Can't comment about the ED12 + Thor Silver, but I'd initially not put much stock into this 'cable makes a difference' talk.....in fact, I'd thought that peeps who believed in this 'myth' are pretty gullible. But (and you knew this was coming), I was pretty surprised, nay, shocked when I'd tried my Campfire Jupiter with stock tinsel cable vs ALO SXC24 cable. Perhaps the tinsel cable sucked, I dunno, but even to a guy like me, who doesn't have the best hearing around, the ALO SXC24 cable seemed to opened up the sound a little more (more 'airy' and better soundstage) and mids seemed to have moved forward by a little. I tried A/B'ing between tinsel and SXC24 hoping that I'd imagined the difference.....picked up on the same differences between time after time. I was told that IEM's respond more positively to changes in cables compared to cans due to the way they are constructed using BA's and crossovers.

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #4442 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 08:13:03 »
I stumbled upon a pair of second hand Fidelio X1's the other day. The previous owner won them in a contest a while ago, but he only used them a handful of times so they have just been sitting a drawer for like 95% of the time. The original box was missing, but at $59 including shipping, it was too good a deal to pass up.  Even the 'new headphone' smell is still intact. ;D

And I didn't even need more headphones. Damn you, headphone hobby!  :'(

Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline yowaffle

« Reply #4443 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 09:09:31 »
I'm sort of a Massdrop addict so my headphones are all from there:

• Fostex TH-X00s (Love them so much)
  • AKG K553 Pro (Haven't received yet)
  • Final Audio Heaven IIs (IEMs - They're good)
V60 [MQC] | KC60 [Zealiostotles] | Leopold FC660c [Topre] |  Ducky Shine 4 [MX Brown] | MiniVan [Zealios]

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #4444 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 17:47:49 »
I'm sort of a Massdrop addict so my headphones are all from there:

• Fostex TH-X00s (Love them so much)
  • AKG K553 Pro (Haven't received yet)
  • Final Audio Heaven IIs (IEMs - They're good)

It's hard to pass up on some of the really good deals Massdrop has sometimes. Almost jumped on the Fostex TH-X00's with the ebony finish.

Since then I have grabbed a pair of HD-700's that are in pristine condition. I'm impressed with the building quality and of course the sound. More closed back the the HD-600's and quite a bit heavier too so I'm having a hard time deciding which to keep. I will probably get the Project Ember II amp before I make my final decision.

@ PadawanGeek - I've looked at the images of your collection and dear god man! You have some mighty nice cans....giggity!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4445 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 22:08:06 »
well my O2 finally crapped out on me. It no longer holds a charge, and when I plug it in directly it stays on for only a second or two before bliping out of existence.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4446 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 23:28:40 »
It's hard to pass up on some of the really good deals Massdrop has sometimes. Almost jumped on the Fostex TH-X00's with the ebony finish.

Since then I have grabbed a pair of HD-700's that are in pristine condition. I'm impressed with the building quality and of course the sound. More closed back the the HD-600's and quite a bit heavier too so I'm having a hard time deciding which to keep. I will probably get the Project Ember II amp before I make my final decision.

@ PadawanGeek - I've looked at the images of your collection and dear god man! You have some mighty nice cans....giggity!
DO you really find the HD700 to be heavy? Then you really ought to build up your neck muscles by getting an Audeze LCD series can, they're great for working on and building neck muscles! :D When I had the HD700 myself, I thought it sounded rather dark, very nice lush bass, but kinda weak on the top end.....ended up sounding rather dark to me.

I was gonna get a Focal Elear later this week, was mentally masturbating over it, kinda hard to just such a purchase in light of the number of great cans I have. Finally decided to ditch the Elear in favor of a 21:9 34" monitor. Gonna check out the few such monitors available here in my neck of the woods. Should be getting one by the end of the week'ish.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #4447 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 05:23:01 »

DO you really find the HD700 to be heavy? Then you really ought to build up your neck muscles by getting an Audeze LCD series can, they're great for working on and building neck muscles! :D When I had the HD700 myself, I thought it sounded rather dark, very nice lush bass, but kinda weak on the top end.....ended up sounding rather dark to me.

I was gonna get a Focal Elear later this week, was mentally masturbating over it, kinda hard to just such a purchase in light of the number of great cans I have. Finally decided to ditch the Elear in favor of a 21:9 34" monitor. Gonna check out the few such monitors available here in my neck of the woods. Should be getting one by the end of the week'ish.

HD-700's are pretty heavy in general for headphones but I was mostly comparing the weight difference between it and the HD-600's. I have tried on a pair of LCD 2's and I agree...them cans are heavy! I'm loving the HD-700's sound though. The highs aren't as detailed as I would like but that could also be my Fiio e17 not pushing enough power to it. So I'll make my final judgement once I get the other headphone amp.

I would highly suggest the Acer Predator X34. As much as I can vouch that Focal makes some amazing audio equipment....you sir have to many the right amount of headphones. ;)

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4448 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 10:53:50 »
HD-700's are pretty heavy in general for headphones but I was mostly comparing the weight difference between it and the HD-600's. I have tried on a pair of LCD 2's and I agree...them cans are heavy! I'm loving the HD-700's sound though. The highs aren't as detailed as I would like but that could also be my Fiio e17 not pushing enough power to it. So I'll make my final judgement once I get the other headphone amp.

I would highly suggest the Acer Predator X34. As much as I can vouch that Focal makes some amazing audio equipment....you sir have to many the right amount of headphones. ;)
I had a pair of LCD2.2 nF, but the weight and the Audeze signature sound didn't quite agree with me, sold it off after 'bout a year or so. That's the great thing about this hobby, everyone's entitled to his/her opinion as to what headphones sound good to him/her. We can agree to disagree amicably, that's what's so great about the audio sub-forum here, everyone respects the opinions of the other, nobody's gotten into a hissy fit simply because you don't agree with them. I'd mentioned this a while back: I was in another audio sub forum where a guy threw a fit when I chose to ignore his 'sagely' advice, insisted I was wrong to buy what I'd bought (an iFi iDSD Micro) and that I should not ignore his advice because he thought of himself as an audio guru in that forum. :rolleyes:

Silly me! I didn't realize that the Elear isn't out yet (at least definitely not in my neck of the woods), makes my choice to go with an UW 34" monitor that much easier. And yeah, I'd prolly get the Acer XR341CK  :thumb: , the one with Freesync, as I'm an ATi/AMD man at heart....

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #4449 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 11:29:41 »
Got these in the mail yesterday, pretty sweet headphones.

I could use an amp for sure though so I guess I'll have to look for something lol  :rolleyes: :p