Author Topic: [Got an awesome price quote! See post 230] Aluminum poker cases  (Read 43862 times)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
[Got an awesome price quote! See post 230] Aluminum poker cases
« Reply #250 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 13:53:02 »
Quote from: oneproduct;547983
Also mkawa, if you want it to be super minimalist, you could pretty much just use the metal insert itself and just ignore the case lol. All the case does is offer side protection, but if you're not worried about that then the metal insert makes a fine base.
yah i've had this thought already. i may order an extra insert from you.

anyway, i have to run, but keep me updated. i'll be reading gh and email all weekend, but may not have much time to respond.

That would be pretty sweet. Run your pc caseless
sigh, yes, i've done this.. lol

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #251 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 14:35:20 »
The bowing along the back you can see is a combination of the Poker not having a screw in the middle and the fact that in absence of that screw the PCB doesn't compress the insulation I put between it and the metal insert towards the middle (you can see this when I am talking about the PVC insulation in the movie, the PCB hugs tighter to the metal insert where the screws are). You could probably fiddle with the insulating material a bit to reduce the bowing.

[video=youtube;qjjYCRJ-e20]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjjYCRJ-e20[/video]

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44461[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44462[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44463[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44464[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44465[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44466[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44467[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44468[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44469[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44470[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44471[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44472[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44473[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44474[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44475[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44476[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44477[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44478[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44479[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44480[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44481[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44482[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44483[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44484[/ATTACH]
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline morgofborg

« Reply #252 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 14:44:32 »
Wow, those corners don't look too bad at all from above to me.

And just an fyi for those people feeling extra ballsy, a handheld circular grinder is only like $20 at wal-mart if you feel like doing any touch ups lol.

Offline Zoop

« Reply #253 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 14:54:34 »
Very interested at new pricepoint

I haven't looked through the entire thread, however by the looks of it, there's no feet?
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 March 2012, 14:58:43 by Zoop »

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #254 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 15:07:16 »
No, there's no feet. You'll have to come up with something of your own, but it's easy to buy rubber feet from a home furniture store for a few dollars. Unlike imsto's case and the one that swede is planning for the Filco/Phantom, this case is not being milled but is instead made by hand but that means that there was no easy way to make really nice feet like they had milled. But remember that simple glued rubber feet is how every other keyboard does it, so it wouldn't be a downgrade in any case.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #255 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 15:18:17 »
I know it's early, but would it be possible to start thinking about an angled case for a potential second batch of these? I would love something with a bit of a slant.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #256 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 15:20:04 »
Probably not going to be a second batch at all, so if you want to angle it the best way would be to get tall rubber feet, the same way that imsto's case implemented slanting.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #257 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 15:29:23 »
Maybe I should have said another round -- it doesn't have to be you organizing this. I'm still very interested in one of these but I don't like how pokers look with big rubber feet.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #258 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 15:34:21 »
Only gripe I have is the weld marks on the top of the case. Thats the area you will see every time when you look at the board.

Offline morgofborg

« Reply #259 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 15:47:12 »
Quote from: lightsout714;548080
Only gripe I have is the weld marks on the top of the case. Thats the area you will see every time when you look at the board.

I'm still pretty confident that it would be possible to smooth it totally with a hand grinder and then gradually finer steel wool. Just takes time and elbow grease. That would have to come before any finish, though.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #260 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 16:35:11 »
I'm sure blasting it right there should help.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft

Offline metafour

« Reply #262 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 17:19:01 »
Quote from: lightsout714;548116
I'm sure blasting it right there should help.

I already asked about this and it seems it's a firm no. Even if you don't have a grinder a file should work well.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #263 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 18:15:35 »
Quote from: metafour;548153
I already asked about this and it seems it's a firm no. Even if you don't have a grinder a file should work well.

Not sure why its like an extra 30 seconds of blasting. Seems incomplete without doing it.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #264 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 18:57:11 »
I'll ask about it. I think it has more to do with the fact that the inside would have the edges that are harder to get at and that the debris that is sanded off accumulates along the inside as you are doing it, which makes it more of a pain. I have my friend here right now though (playing Tekken X Street Figther!) and he said it should be doable. I'm talking to him about a few last changes, mostly this and tacking the insert rather than gluing it.

Offline jonnybastard

« Reply #265 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 21:58:25 »
Aluminium is soft enough to work with that any imperfections along the top edges could be cleaned up with a hand file very easily.
KMAC    -    HHKB Type-S    -    Filco TKL LineaR    -    Poker X    -    KBT Race LE

flickr

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #266 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 22:15:49 »
Quote from: jonnybastard;548406
Aluminium is soft enough to work with that any imperfections along the top edges could be cleaned up with a hand file very easily.

This is true, I would just personally prefer the same texture on that edge. But I'm not complaining here just throwing it out there.

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #267 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 22:18:50 »
Damn once-a-month paychecks; I guess I will just have to jump on this the next time it comes around.
I like my Browns more than my Blues.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #268 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 22:28:38 »
Damn I could never make it getting paid once a month.

Offline morgofborg

« Reply #269 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 22:30:08 »
Paychecks every Thursday FTW.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #270 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 22:31:37 »
Quote from: RColinTaylor;548436
Damn once-a-month paychecks; I guess I will just have to jump on this the next time it comes around.

want me to buy one for you and hold it till you get paid?
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #271 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 22:37:53 »
Quote from: morgofborg;548444
Paychecks every Thursday FTW.

Woot Wednesdays lol!!

And Demik nice move!

Offline xquisit

« Reply #272 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 23:27:02 »
Quote from: demik;548445
want me to buy one for you and hold it till you get paid?

^ you're a boss!

i like seeing good-hearted people from the LA area
I\'d rather die like a man than live like a coward - 2pac

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #273 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 00:27:18 »
can we not tack the inserts down?

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #274 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 00:36:35 »
Spoke with my friend (whose father owns the company) about this just today and I'm going to push to get that. That was the original plan and my point of contact was recommending glue but my friend recommended tacking and I agree. I'm not sure why exactly he was recommending glue because it was actually him that had suggested tacking in the first place (he actually came up with the whole metal insert idea), so I suspect he has some reason that I'm not fully aware of. At the time I had taken his recommendation because I imagined he must know best, but unless there's a real good reason I'm going to change to tacking. Also checking to see if I can get them to glass bead the top edge of the case since one or two people mentioned that, and I don't expect that will be a problem.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #275 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 00:38:24 »
well at the very least i want mine not tacked. i'll drill and tap them myself

actually i'd also like to do one with corners welded and one with corners not welded if possible

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #276 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 00:39:57 »
Okay, just mention that when you send me a PM for the order to remind me. Also, if that's needed for powdercoating or whatnot and people are going to be doing that through you, make sure to let them know that they need to tell me not to have theirs tacked either.

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #277 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 00:43:12 »
Quote from: xquisit;548482
i like seeing good-hearted people from the LA area

Yeah, demik's a rare breed and I mean that in a good way.  Not many like him in L.A. lol
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #278 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 00:47:34 »
Quote from: reaper;548587
Yeah, demik's a rare breed and I mean that in a good way.  Not many like him in L.A. lol
ugh, don't tell me this. i may end up in LA next year.