Author Topic: [IC] SKBXX Alu Case [60% Std, WKL, HHKB, YAS + 75%] (GOT SAMPLES!)  (Read 98331 times)

Offline stoic-lemon

Re: [IC] SKBXX Alu Case [60% Std, WKL, HHKB, YAS + 75%] (GOT SAMPLES!)
« Reply #350 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 12:25:56 »
Yeah, it was Wodan who has inspired my dreams of liberating an armful of vintage keyboard from the recycling centres.

Offline notflipperdan420

• dalla dalla
« Reply #351 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 14:00:49 »
very cool idea  ;D
356L *2 | 356CL Gunmetal *3 | 356CL Black | 356.2 | 356CL DGE SE | 356mini v1 Military | 356mini v1 Black *2 | 356mini v1 Red *2 | 356mini v2 Red | 356N MK2 Silver *2 | 356N MK2 Red | 456GT Pink *3 | 356 Pad *2 | Brass Koala | Koala WK Black | FE Whale WKL | Whale v1 WKL Gunmetal | HHKB Type-S |  G80-5000HAMUS | G80-1838HPU NIB | G81-3000SAT NIB

Current Rotation: HeoK Dolch, HHKB Type-S, 456GT Pink

Offline realxmlforce

« Reply #352 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 17:42:18 »
I really would like to see/hear a typing sound video of the two boards you built.  :D

Offline menuhin

« Reply #353 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 19:18:57 »
I really would like to see/hear a typing sound video of the two boards you built.  :D

+1
I want to hear how it sounds too.  :p
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline PlastikSchnittstelle

« Reply #354 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 09:13:21 »

+1
I want to hear how it sounds too.  :p

sure, a typing test, yes. I just don't have the right equipment to do that. would an iphone 6s be ok? don't mobile phones have automatic noise cancellation? if so it would not reproduce the sound accurately, right? not sure how to takle this without spending a lot of money.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 March 2018, 09:19:22 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline realxmlforce

« Reply #355 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 13:11:03 »
Phone is fine. I'm just curious how this very new/unusual type of case from bent aluminium will sound like. I guess it may sound quite different from all the other more usual cnc'ed aluminium cases.
But i will get one even if it is not the thocc of the century  ;D

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #356 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 22:39:45 »
Phone is fine. I'm just curious how this very new/unusual type of case from bent aluminium will sound like. I guess it may sound quite different from all the other more usual cnc'ed aluminium cases.
But i will get one even if it is not the thocc of the century  ;D

thocc of the century  :p

Offline RealLaugh

Re: [IC] SKBXX Alu Case [60% Std, WKL, HHKB, YAS + 75%] (waiting for samples)
« Reply #357 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 04:22:43 »
What's the timeline for this GB? Please, make it happen. The kit is great.

only little details to sort out, better pictures, shipping options, then preparing the GB thread and go. hopefully starting in less that two weeks from now.

Do you still think the GB will still launch in the next few weeks?

How is it going with the two prototypes that you built?

« Reply #358 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 05:13:01 »

Yes, by the end of this week.

How is it going with the two prototypes that you built?

The prototype is the one I had made and build last summer (pictures somewhere in the opening post). The samples for the GB production I just got can be seen here and there. More pictures will follow. They feel great. I use them every day. I try to get used to the HHKB but often I find myself switching back to the standard ISO build. Some asked for a typing demonstration / sound test, so I ordered a mount to put my phone on a little tripod - will arrive this week.

Offline Data

« Reply #359 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 07:27:51 »

Yes, by the end of this week.

Awesome. :D

Offline noobas4urus

• Mod Munky of another realm
    • The Mod Zoo
« Reply #360 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 20:36:44 »
Looking forward to GB!
"You miss 100% of the raffles you don't enter."
-Wayne Gretzky

Offline reconsiderit

• I'm actually not left handed www.switchplate.co
« Reply #361 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 19:14:11 »
This looks fantastic. Any words on if the reset cutout will be done or not? I'm 1+ for not having the cutout there since removing the bottom seems pretty straightforward and quick. Also, are those the screws that are going to be used for the top? I haven't exactly been following this from start to finish, but have you taken a look at the ultra low profile cap screws for the top? Just personal preference since I doubt you'll rest on them, but they look a little cleaner imo. Harder to source though.

And if you need a proxy for the US, I'd be glad to help out.
Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #362 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 19:41:27 »
This looks fantastic. Any words on if the reset cutout will be done or not? I'm 1+ for not having the cutout there since removing the bottom seems pretty straightforward and quick. Also, are those the screws that are going to be used for the top? I haven't exactly been following this from start to finish, but have you taken a look at the ultra low profile cap screws for the top? Just personal preference since I doubt you'll rest on them, but they look a little cleaner imo. Harder to source though.

Show Image

Haven't been following this either since when it was first posted, having countersunk or super low profile screws like this for the top would be really cool and would keep the "raw" look intact but make it nicer to the touch. Anyways I saw you moved to button top screws on the hhkb version so thats a step  :p

Really nice work altogether cant wait to see where this goes further.

« Reply #363 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 16:22:55 »

Show Image

hey, thanks!
yes, over here I said I would remove it. no big deal. although I think it is very useful, but hey, if no one really wants it.

removing the bottom is not quick. not difficult either, but still two screws. ok, you also won't flash your firmware every day.

the screws, yes I have found a source for the ultraflathead screws and contacted them. they wanted to send me samples but I never got them. didn't try again cause I like both the other two options (also because they are easier to get) I got and used for the two sample builds. but since you ask - I'll try again :)

regarding proxy, thanks very much for the offer. depends on how much orders I'll get from the US. but since the package won't be too heavy the shipping cost will probably not as high compared to cnc+brass-weight cases. so proxy may not be necessary, let's see.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 April 2018, 16:34:34 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

« Reply #364 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 16:24:15 »
Haven't been following this either since when it was first posted, having countersunk or super low profile screws like this for the top would be really cool and would keep the "raw" look intact but make it nicer to the touch. Anyways I saw you moved to button top screws on the hhkb version so thats a step  :p

Really nice work altogether cant wait to see where this goes further.

I decided against countersunk for a few reasons. but yes, I'll try again to get hold of the ultraflathead screws. since it would be a logistical nightmare I planned on including a set of each of the different screws, so no need to choose and pack different stuff.

here I wrote about how I experience the screws.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 April 2018, 16:27:55 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

« Reply #365 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 16:28:43 »
one more small note. I had stated some while back that I would hope the cutouts in the plate were large enough to remove the PCB-mount stabs although assembled - now I know why this is such a difficult thing. once it's built you can't get them out. just like with all other plates for PCB stabs. I think I know now what I would have to change but this is something for another project.

so like always with pcb stabs: make sure you get them lubed and perfect before you put everything together ;)

the steel plate is supersolid btw. probably due to the big surface area around the side of the plate. especially I am super happy with the feeling vs the aluminium plate that I have in the prototype (65%). with every bottom out the alu plate reflected vibration back into my fingers, just very slightly but still noticeable. not so with the steel plates now, absolutely enjoy typing on it.
also, yes, soundtest/typingdemo still coming. got the mount for my phone yesterday.

damn, preparing everything for the GB takes so much time! hope I can start it by sunday.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 April 2018, 16:32:03 by PlastikSchnittstelle »