Author Topic: [GB] Pearl 40% R1 Complete - www.pearlboards.com - Thank you!  (Read 201087 times)

Offline donut_sauce

Re: [GB] Pearl 40% GB R1 Closed - Shipping to you - www.pearlboards.com
« Reply #650 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 14:34:51 »
Hey ojrask! Sorry I've been so busy! Got your email and it alerted me to check the thread! Lots of cool stuff i missed. But your PCB seems like its missing some components that would definitely affect it. They could have fallen off in transit, rubbed of or just not been there to begin with. It happens! They could even be in the packaging that it was wrapped in. Regardless, I will send you a replacement PCB! I've got your address and hope this next one works fine! I'll inspect it before sending. Sorry about that sir!

Awesome, I will try and see if the components are in the packaging somewhere, but it does look like there is only solder applied and nothing has dropped off of them.

I'll wait for the new PCB in the meantime, many thanks!

Hopefully, a thorough QMK guide is up by then, having trouble understanding why I can't even build the default keymap with it. :)

hey ojrask, what issues are you having when compiling? is doing straight "make pearl:default" not working for you?

for me at least i know I had to update bash for windows (per qmk guide -" If you already have the Windows 10 Subsystem for Linux from the Anniversary update it's recommended that you upgrade it to 16.04LTS, because some keyboards don't compile with the toolchains included in 14.04LTS."). i was having issues compiling the Pearl before that.

I'm on Ubuntu 14.04, so I am worried that I would need to compile some dependencies from source. E.g. my errors look like that libavr is missing the definitions for the Pearl MCU (atmega32A).

But yes, `make pearl:default` is the command that craps out on me with missing defitions that should be loaded from `avr/io.h` or similar. I do have `bootloadHID` up and running so all I would need from QMK is a built HEX file.

EDIT: Ah yes, gcc-avr is too old on 14.04. I will have to compile a newer version or then upgrade to 17.10. This results in the missing definitions when attempting to compile a HEX for Pearl (and other pa2avrGB boards). Found a similar issue at the QMK repo: https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/issues/1364

yup. that's the same exact issue i had. upgrading should fix it:)

Offline curist

« Reply #651 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 05:56:12 »
I seem to bricked my Pearl..
It works on my macbook perfectly, then I bring the Pearl to work to try on a windows machine, it can't find a driver.
Tried to reboot it several times, rescan for hardware change, no luck.
Bring it home, plug it, it just doesn't work anymore  :eek:
Can anyone point out how to burn the default firmware without Pearl being recognized as a keyboard?
Bear with me if this is not the best place for this kind of question.

Offline donut_sauce

« Reply #652 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 06:18:17 »
It works on my macbook perfectly, then I bring the Pearl to work to try on a windows machine, it can't find a driver.
Can anyone point out how to burn the default firmware without Pearl being recognized as a keyboard?
What does the computer show as plugged in to the usb?

Offline curist

« Reply #653 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 06:28:42 »

The very first time I plugged it to the windows box, it's ps2avrgb or something like that, but I didn't let windows to finish installing the driver; I did a windows update, reboot, and then Pearl is always recognized as an unknown device.

Edit. I don't want to hijack this thread, so I will keep the update here.
No, it doesn't work on mac anymore.
And when the first time I plugged it to a mac, Pearl just work out of box.
Today, after I feels it can be something with the windows machine, I tried to plug Pearl to a colleague's macbook pro, and got no luck, so it seems I somehow bricked my Pearl :(
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 March 2018, 08:26:34 by curist »

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #654 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 07:28:27 »

The very first time I plugged it to the windows box, it's ps2avrgb or something like that, but I didn't let windows to finish installing the driver; I did a windows update, reboot, and then Pearl is always recognized as an unknown device.

Does it work on the Mac still? Can you check the installed drivers in Windows Device Manager?
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline clee

« Reply #655 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 10:55:32 »

Today, after I feels it can be something with the windows machine, I tried to plug Pearl to a colleague's macbook pro, and got no luck, so it seems I somehow bricked my Pearl :(

Assuming you soldered the three lock-indicator LEDs in the lower right corner of the PCB, what about if you hold down Esc while connecting the USB cable? Do all three LEDs blink? If so, then it's not bricked and you can re-flash the firmware. Since you mentioned that you're on macOS, if you have any interest in QMK, you might follow the instructions I wrote up here: https://gist.github.com/clee/a43f198a70de0e6dae22d7638b41440a

Offline curist

« Reply #656 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 19:17:33 »

Assuming you soldered the three lock-indicator LEDs in the lower right corner of the PCB, what about if you hold down Esc while connecting the USB cable? Do all three LEDs blink? If so, then it's not bricked and you can re-flash the firmware. Since you mentioned that you're on macOS, if you have any interest in QMK, you might follow the instructions I wrote up here: https://gist.github.com/clee/a43f198a70de0e6dae22d7638b41440a

Thank you sir, you're a lifesaver  :-*
Holding esc and plug, Pearl is being recognized as a HIDBoot device, so I figure it can be in flash mode, tried to use BootMapperClient to flash the default hex file, no luck.
Follow the gist provided, boom, my Pearl is back alive :p
Thank you everyone for jumping in to help.

Offline clee

« Reply #657 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 23:35:03 »
Thank you sir, you're a lifesaver  :-*
Holding esc and plug, Pearl is being recognized as a HIDBoot device, so I figure it can be in flash mode, tried to use BootMapperClient to flash the default hex file, no luck.
Follow the gist provided, boom, my Pearl is back alive :p
Thank you everyone for jumping in to help.

:D

So glad it helped!

Also, if you want to reflash back to the BootMapper firmware, you need to download the actual firmware image from here: https://github.com/showjean/ps2avrU/releases (I'm pretty sure you need the ps2avrGB firmware, looks like latest is ps2avrGB_firmware_V1.4.0_171019.zip). Before you can use the BootMapperClient GUI to upload your keymap, you need to re-flash the ps2avrGB_NKRO.hex file (from inside the ps2avrGB_firmware zip); using bootloadHID should work.

However, I obviously think QMK is pretty compelling or else I wouldn't be writing up all these guides on how to install it for everyone. Most importantly, QMK lets you give keys double meanings for tap vs hold. For example, my right spacebar is space when I tap it, and switches to Layer 1 when I hold it (and drops back to Layer 0 when I release it).
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 March 2018, 23:41:09 by clee »

Offline clee

« Reply #658 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 02:59:03 »
My guide on installing QMK on your Pearl from Linux is up now, btw, in case anybody on Linux hadn't figured it out yet. I tried to make it as easy as possible.

Offline donut_sauce

« Reply #659 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 16:24:16 »
Was inspired by jetpack's per layer LED setup so I went overboard and setup up the underglow to work per layer as well, RGB overload!
`
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 March 2018, 16:34:38 by donut_sauce »

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #660 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 18:13:30 »
That is really cool, donut_sauce.

Care to share your qmk setup?   :)

Offline donut_sauce

« Reply #661 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 21:29:34 »
That is really cool, donut_sauce.

Care to share your qmk setup?   :)
Sure, I used layer_state_set_*
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 March 2018, 21:31:34 by donut_sauce »

Offline Koobaczech

• Don't forget to smile :)
    • Pearlboards
« Reply #662 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 15:24:11 »
Hey everyone! Wanted to check in, see how all the builds were, how the Pearls are holding up, comments, complaints etc. Any help anyone needs please don't hesitate to contact me!

UPDATE: I ran out of some supplies during zFrontiers orders and am waiting on those to arrive. Waiting on all our acrylic plates and PCB's as well. This stuff takes time to make!

In the meantime, clee made some astounding QMK programming guides for Linux and MacOS, based off the work done by others such as donut, jetpacktux, wokechill etc. I flashed my Black Pearl with QMK per his instructions, then tried flashing it back to BMC and it worked, but with some permanent damage. DualAction doesn't work correctly anymore and macros are kind of ****ed in BMC. So be careful when taking the plunge into QMK, the BMC soul of Pearl dies, but can be brought back. What is dead may never die

Other clarifications because I keep getting asked. I am down for a second Pearl GB in the future! Make the tolerances less tight by a few mm's, decrease the height a bit, play with the layout, explore other colors. Whatever really! Also wanted to thank everyone for everything. This buy has been so much work but so much fun. Seeing the community come out and contribute help, share information and builds, discuss the project, just everything, makes me so happy! To be a part of it all is a wonderful thing.

This weekend artisan TinyMakesThings flew in to Orlando with her friend. Had the pleasure of meeting up with her and my local buddies as well, super fun! The four of us in the middle worked tirelessly through the buy to pack, wash, inspect, catalogue and ship your Pearls! If you see them (Jenny, R0b0tical, Mangoes (ek555), me, don't be a stranger! Any issues encountered in the buy are immediately delegated to them. I apologize for their savagery.

Obligatory Moomoo da keeb cat pic as well

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #663 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 15:53:16 »
Thats really interesting that's you're down for R2 because that's totally how I feel too

Some feedback on the Pearl

For R2 I would like to see the base get some more degrees. This is purely an A E S T H E T I C S point of view and the board is functionally fine to type on with the current angle.

For R2 I would also like to see your take on a matching numpad or minipad like the Roadkit or the M6-A that could also be included in the GB alongside Pearl R2.

To be honest I don't really want to give you feedback, the board is great and I'm really reaching to find anything I would change. What I want more is to be a part of another GB from you because it was such a fun journey. The vibe in the IC and GB threads was always good, the updates were always there we never had to ask, you were super flexible with adding extras post-GB and you packed the items like a baws. I loved this GB and I would like to thank you and all your friends who helped pack and ship the boards for the time and effort that you invested when you could have stopped at a few prototypes for yourself.

Some pics of my Pearl

I already spammed you on instagram but I'll add some quick photos here. I used the board all day at work today and figured out what was missing from the layers etc. I had some issues with the shift/caps lock combo so I have gone with a normal left shift and moved caps lock to another layer in case I need it. The board was really fun to build, un-boxing and getting ready to build was super easy, all the parts were there and there was a ton of direction through the setup and build pages you put up on your website.

I built my pearl with box blacks and have a funky layout I am trying out which is inspired by the 3 FN keys on my minivan, at the moment I don't have a need for 3 so I might go back to just 2 and have an enter key above the right shift instead of FN.

Offline bucket

« Reply #664 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 08:21:30 »
So mine finally arrived over the pond after sitting in customs for about a week.

Firstly have to say how amazing it look the the quality truly is fantastic!! Sunday morning was spent building a keyboard, which would be a first for me! One thing to say though, the weight is amazing! Never thought I would be thankful for loads of weight on a board.

Only issue I seem to be having ... cannot seem to get caps lock to work ... using the boot mapper client, which is a little clunky, but even with the original has files just don't seem to be able to get that working.

Any help would be great here :)

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #665 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 13:56:02 »
So mine finally arrived over the pond after sitting in customs for about a week.

Firstly have to say how amazing it look the the quality truly is fantastic!! Sunday morning was spent building a keyboard, which would be a first for me! One thing to say though, the weight is amazing! Never thought I would be thankful for loads of weight on a board.

Only issue I seem to be having ... cannot seem to get caps lock to work ... using the boot mapper client, which is a little clunky, but even with the original has files just don't seem to be able to get that working.

Any help would be great here :)

hey there

on a fresh boot of Windows, right click on the .exe and run as administrator

once it opens click on 'Download' in the top left

once that has finished, tick the box next to 'Toggle Bootloader' which is in orange at the top of the window towards the center. The middle light on the Pearl should start flashing to confirm this was successful.

Then once that is done, press one of your switches down on the Pearl and the UI should jump to what key that is on the row/column map in the middle and also tell you what that key is currently mapped to to. Above this area are the different tabs for the other FN layers, just click on one of those and do the same thing there.

Once you have edited your layout you can click on the 'upload' button at the top of the window. Clicking on 'Upload' will prompt a confirmation, click OK and it will re-flash your Pearl, all 3 lights on the Pearl will come on for a second and go off again and then your Pearl should be go to go.

Offline foxlive

• The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
« Reply #666 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 15:34:47 »
More
Hey everyone! Wanted to check in, see how all the builds were, how the Pearls are holding up, comments, complaints etc. Any help anyone needs please don't hesitate to contact me!

UPDATE: I ran out of some supplies during zFrontiers orders and am waiting on those to arrive. Waiting on all our acrylic plates and PCB's as well. This stuff takes time to make!

In the meantime, clee made some astounding QMK programming guides for Linux and MacOS, based off the work done by others such as donut, jetpacktux, wokechill etc. I flashed my Black Pearl with QMK per his instructions, then tried flashing it back to BMC and it worked, but with some permanent damage. DualAction doesn't work correctly anymore and macros are kind of ****ed in BMC. So be careful when taking the plunge into QMK, the BMC soul of Pearl dies, but can be brought back. What is dead may never die

Other clarifications because I keep getting asked. I am down for a second Pearl GB in the future! Make the tolerances less tight by a few mm's, decrease the height a bit, play with the layout, explore other colors. Whatever really! Also wanted to thank everyone for everything. This buy has been so much work but so much fun. Seeing the community come out and contribute help, share information and builds, discuss the project, just everything, makes me so happy! To be a part of it all is a wonderful thing.
More
This weekend artisan TinyMakesThings flew in to Orlando with her friend. Had the pleasure of meeting up with her and my local buddies as well, super fun! The four of us in the middle worked tirelessly through the buy to pack, wash, inspect, catalogue and ship your Pearls! If you see them (Jenny, R0b0tical, Mangoes (ek555), me, don't be a stranger! Any issues encountered in the buy are immediately delegated to them. I apologize for their savagery.
Show Image

Show Image

Very nice to hear this! I may even join in for a 40 pearl, they really look so nice, but I am mainly looking for the 60 pearl! Where is it :p? Shipping is almost finish I think, I cannot wait for the IC to pop up x) !

Keep it up, amazing work!

Offline curist

« Reply #667 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 00:03:46 »
More

More
Show Image

Show Image

Very nice to hear this! I may even join in for a 40 pearl, they really look so nice, but I am mainly looking for the 60 pearl! Where is it :p? Shipping is almost finish I think, I cannot wait for the IC to pop up x) !

Wishes:

1. Have a more durable material for the weight. While the look and feel is amazing for the current brass one, it's beautiful, but untouchable at the same time. It need special care for it. I'd really like an option to have the weight to be built using stainless steel or other durable material.
2. Let the first button on the asdf row 0.25 unit shorter, so the keyboard will have a more standard staggered layout. I don't know if this change will break the compatibility with popular keycap sets though...
3. Less height definitely. For a person adores a 40%, I love minimal things, and would definitely like Pearl to be more lightweight and has less height.

Please take these as mere suggestions from a Pearl lover; this group-buy experience is fantastic, Pearl itself is gorgeos; whatever you come up with next time, will always be a insta-buy for me :D

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #668 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 11:57:01 »
Pearl #91 done! Typing speed dropped again to accustom to a new layout yet again. Currently wearing GMK Yuri but will put on GMK Laser once it arrives. :)

Potato quality but will get better photos later. The Yuri kinda works with the Cyan case in my opinion.

191906-0

Also, this one runs on QMK and you can find my layout at the QMK repo once the PR is hopefully merged (PR also has my instructions for using QMK with Pearl on Linux): https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/pull/2563
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
IC/GB:

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #669 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 16:50:52 »
Thats really interesting that's you're down for R2 because that's totally how I feel too
Some feedback on the Pearl

-I would like to see the base get some more degrees. This is purely an A E S T H E T I C S point of view and the board is functionally fine to type on with the current angle.
-I would also like to see your take on a matching numpad or minipad like the Roadkit or the M6-A that could also be included in the GB alongside Pearl R2.

Show Image

Gosh what a freaking beauty!!! Thanks for the feedback man<3 Golden

More

More
Show Image

Show Image

Thanks fox!! :D

Wishes:
1. Have a more durable material for the weight. While the look and feel is amazing for the current brass one, it's beautiful, but untouchable at the same time. It need special care for it. I'd really like an option to have the weight to be built using stainless steel or other durable material.
2. Let the first button on the asdf row 0.25 unit shorter, so the keyboard will have a more standard staggered layout. I don't know if this change will break the compatibility with popular keycap sets though...
3. Less height definitely. For a person adores a 40%, I love minimal things, and would definitely like Pearl to be more lightweight and has less height.

Please take these as mere suggestions from a Pearl lover; this group-buy experience is fantastic, Pearl itself is gorgeos; whatever you come up with next time, will always be a insta-buy for me :D
Thanks so much man! Love your thjoughts and opinions! I'm looking into better finishes such as PVD coating and such to fix the brass issues! And the rest is noted!

Pearl #91 done! Typing speed dropped again to accustom to a new layout yet again. Currently wearing GMK Yuri but will put on GMK Laser once it arrives. :)

Potato quality but will get better photos later. The Yuri kinda works with the Cyan case in my opinion.

Also, this one runs on QMK and you can find my layout at the QMK repo once the PR is hopefully merged (PR also has my instructions for using QMK with Pearl on Linux): https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/pull/2563
Wew lad! Glad that your second PCB had no issues :P Lovely build! The yuri is very bold!

Thanks for the feedback and everything else friends! Keep up the awesome work.

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #670 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 18:39:07 »

Wew lad! Glad that your second PCB had no issues :P Lovely build! The yuri is very bold!

Thanks! Yuri's orange does really pop with the cyan case. :)

I'm currently looking at the shipping pricing to get you that broken PCB back for refurbishment, looks like I can use the same box you sent me the functional one in and it won't cost me too much. I'll get back to you on this.
Current:
Coming up:
IC/GB:

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #671 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 19:23:20 »

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #672 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 02:32:29 »
Show Image

whooo dat color match  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #673 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 09:03:31 »
Well, I finally opened the box and took at look at my stuff. Even though I'd seen lots of photos and some streams, I was still blown away by the care that had been taken in packaging and how beautiful the parts are. I love that I chose the rose gold as it looks amazing. Hope I can do it justice in the build. And I'm really happy that I got 109, since that has a meaning for anyone who knows Tokyo. Thank you Koobaczech!

Offline hndle

« Reply #674 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 09:06:14 »
WOW R2 !!!!! really good news!I will definitely in.
Of course I want to have one before R2... :'(

Offline MikeTheTiger

Offline r4wromg

« Reply #676 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 22:19:29 »
I'm having trouble flashing my QMK hex onto my Pearl using the MacOS instructions. Everything compiles fine, but I keep getting the following Import error on several different computers after running the 'program' command with the Pearl in bootloader mode.

Code: [Select]
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./util/atmega32a_program.py", line 22, in <module>
    import usb
ImportError: No module named usb
make[1]: *** [program] Error 1
make: *** [pearl:tilted:program] Error 1
Make finished with errors

Anyone have any ideas?

Offline gutsack

« Reply #677 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 23:29:06 »
I'm having trouble flashing my QMK hex onto my Pearl using the MacOS instructions. Everything compiles fine, but I keep getting the following Import error on several different computers after running the 'program' command with the Pearl in bootloader mode.

import usb

Anyone have any ideas?

You need pyusb:

pip install pyusb

Offline r4wromg

« Reply #678 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 00:30:53 »

import usb

Anyone have any ideas?

You need pyusb:

pip install pyusb

Thanks!! That worked perfectly.

Offline mr scooty

« Reply #679 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 12:12:28 »
My only thoughts on an R2 would be please make the R1 and R2 boards compatible with each other. I'd like to mix and match my r1 and r2 boards since i regret not getting more colors in the first round  :p

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #680 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 13:59:40 »
Hey fellas/ladies! Long weekend. Shipped zFrontier orders, and did some other Pearl chores. I should have PCB's and Acrylic plates stocked on my store this week. Would most likely be $70 for a combo shipped free within CONUS with 3 LED's. Or $35 for one plate or PCB. A good variety of colors. Red, white, black, orange, green, blue, etc. I'll have pics. Very limited on foam pieces for now, maybe 10 since I sent a bunch off already to people who reserved them! Got a FEW more orders to ship and then this GB will be in the maintenance phase.

Hope everyone's happy with their Pearls. I apologize to anyone who doesn't love it. And thanks all for the ride!

If anyone is interested, I'm also making a 60%. Just waiting to present it after all this Pearl stuff goes on autopilot. Got cool plans for it! Things like the custom artisans from Komatoz and Boomsnapcaps took a bit too long, and we all apologize, so they will be moved into the 60% GB if it ever runs! No promises on either. This 60 is experimental in many ways like Pearl was, and hoping its received well by you all<3!

Show Image

WEW lad!! That purp xD

Well, I finally opened the box and took at look at my stuff. Even though I'd seen lots of photos and some streams, I was still blown away by the care that had been taken in packaging and how beautiful the parts are. I love that I chose the rose gold as it looks amazing. Hope I can do it justice in the build. And I'm really happy that I got 109, since that has a meaning for anyone who knows Tokyo. Thank you Koobaczech!
Chok!! Thanks so much man! Everyone's been linking me your unboxing vid haha. Even my local friends who are just starting out in the hobby follow you and mentioned it. I was like damn!! Also 109 might have been coincidental, or might have been part of the Pearl magic. The world may never know ;D

You need pyusb:

pip install pyusb

Thanks!! That worked perfectly.
Thanks so much man! Killing it with the help :)

My only thoughts on an R2 would be please make the R1 and R2 boards compatible with each other. I'd like to mix and match my r1 and r2 boards since i regret not getting more colors in the first round  :p
My plan at the minimum was to kind of thin out the case, add a tiny bit more angle, make the tolerances a tad lower. Thinning out the case would mean sharing the usb cutout with the bottom case part as well as the top case part. That would definitely kill compatibility on case parts, but not on internals like the core (pcb/plate/switches). I'll really have to think about this!

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #681 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 14:08:56 »
If anyone is interested, I'm also making a 60%. Just waiting to present it after all this Pearl stuff goes on autopilot. Got cool plans for it! Things like the custom artisans from Komatoz and Boomsnapcaps took a bit too long, and we all apologize, so they will be moved into the 60% GB if it ever runs! No promises on either. This 60 is experimental in many ways like Pearl was, and hoping its received well by you all<3!

Gimme, pls

Offline SBN

« Reply #682 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 14:13:09 »

Gimme, pls

This!! :D

Offline hndle

« Reply #683 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 14:40:04 »
Wait for the acrylic plate and the foam. Happy. Happy. :))

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #684 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 15:06:23 »
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] Pearl #100 reporting!

I present you my little gray LightCycle, powered by an Orange ALPS engine and a brass + aluminium frame:

It's my joy and almost pretty engame-y for me. I ultrasonically cleaned the switches (even the bottoms and tactile leafs, everything but plates), lubed them with FinishLine dry lube and carefully bent the leafs to make them more tactile. Turns out testing tactility on a policarbonate plate and then using it on a brass plate it's not a good idea, because now they are too tactile  :p

Now I'm just waiting for the Nexus sliders and I will drop GMK Yuri on this beauty to lauch it to space.

You can see a couple more pictures here https://imgur.com/a/aPSRw, including my unique and completely-more-valuable-than-yours weight, signed by Koobaczech  :thumb: :thumb:

I still have some interesting plans for my other PCB involving holtites for ALPS.

Does anyone here have run into clearance issues with the switches on the "split" positions? I had to push those keys extremely hard to the edges because the keys would overlap each other so slightly but enough to catch one with the other.

EDIT: Image was not properly attached
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 March 2018, 15:13:56 by d.caminero »

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #685 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 15:47:04 »
Jesus dude lol. I've never heard of someone lubing ALPS before, much less messing with the leafs. You are an inspiration, and instill some ALPS romance in me with such a pretty build. I would absolutely love it if you made a video where we can see the sound of your Orange Alps, with and without keycaps! Maybe comment on how they feel too, before you launch that hoe straight into space

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #686 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 17:34:20 »
Yeah, I'd love to hear those ALPS, too. Do you usually use Finish Line four them? There's so many differing opinions on which lube to use. When I get some more switches, I'm going to try them all haha. Looking forward to seeing yours with Yuri.

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #687 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 19:13:55 »
Yeah, I'd love to hear those ALPS, too. Do you usually use Finish Line four them? There's so many differing opinions on which lube to use. When I get some more switches, I'm going to try them all haha. Looking forward to seeing yours with Yuri.

It's actually my first ALPS build but I've been reading a lot about lubing or not. I tried some switches without lube and some with lube and it is definitely a good change. I didn't feel any tactile loss, but they were louder and smoother. In fact I think I'll need to lube them a bit more because I think I didn't apply enough on some of them since FinishLine will evaporate rather quickly.
Anyway, for tactile (or clicky for that matter) ALPS, any dry lube should be used. FinishLine was the most affordable and readily available here, but superlube is a good option as well, there's even a WD40 version of it. You just need to make sure it does contain teflon and PTFE.
What I would not advise for tactile or clickly alps is using the "bag method" as in you put all the sliders and some lube in the bad and just shake them. This does get a nice, even and thin coat, but I don't wanted to cover the side where the tactile leaves touch the slider to not lose any tactile feeling. I did use a little brush to "paint" the lube on the sides of the sliders and top housings.

I'm getting some blues ready (cleaning them rn) and I'll do the same, assemble some without, some with a nice coat and compare them, but I suspect I'll prefer it lubed as well.

Jesus dude lol. I've never heard of someone lubing ALPS before, much less messing with the leafs. You are an inspiration, and instill some ALPS romance in me with such a pretty build. I would absolutely love it if you made a video where we can see the sound of your Orange Alps, with and without keycaps! Maybe comment on how they feel too, before you launch that hoe straight into space

Thank so much for your kind words mate :) I had been planning this build for so long that I think I cannot include more things besides holtites and the sliders XD

I'll try to get a hold of a decent mic from a friend a do a typing video, but it may take a while, although sound right now is not wonderful since switches are still not consistent, some of them do sound perfect but some of them sound kind of metallic.

About feelings, I was very very hyped for oranges and I'm not entirely content with the current state but I now what I need to change for them to be perfect.
As I said in my previous comment, when I was tuning them I was mounting them in the policarbonate plate, which has more flex than brass. In their "default" configuration, they were nicely tactile but I had heard about bending the leaves to "restore" some of their tactile feeling and I tried some of them, being very cautious about not breaking them. So when I compared them side to side I instantly fell in love with the tuned version and I started tuning all of them.
Problem is that then I decided to build it with the brass plate, because why the hell not? And turns out brass will provide such a firm support that when I tried them they were not the same. I still like them over any other tactile switch I've tried before, people describe them like topre but more mechanical (I haven't tried topre, but I get what they mean). It's almost like popping bubble wrap, there's no travel before the bump so you just press hard and then you overpass the bump and you bottom out quite hard. It's like you either press it instantly or you don't press it at all, no mid travel bull****.

Anyway, since you can open ALPS without desoldering, I plan to open them and bend back a bit the tactile leaves and lube the ones that need it most to achieve a consistent feel across the board. I may wait for the nexus sliders though, so I only open them all one time and not two hahah

Offline neorobo

« Reply #688 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 23:12:53 »
#123 checking in :) I love it so far, and fits so well with Carbon which just arrived!

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #689 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 04:33:46 »
Making GB runners sign my weight is a meme I shall apply to all GBs that I join going fowards.

Yes, I am jelly of you number 100  :p

Offline notflipperdan420

• dalla dalla
« Reply #690 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 12:45:11 »
r2 soon with "centered" indicators please  :-X
356L *2 | 356CL Gunmetal *3 | 356CL Black | 356.2 | 356CL DGE SE | 356mini v1 Military | 356mini v1 Black *2 | 356mini v1 Red *2 | 356mini v2 Red | 356N MK2 Silver *2 | 356N MK2 Red | 456GT Pink *3 | 356 Pad *2 | Brass Koala | Koala WK Black | FE Whale WKL | Whale v1 WKL Gunmetal | HHKB Type-S |  G80-5000HAMUS | G80-1838HPU NIB | G81-3000SAT NIB

Current Rotation: HeoK Dolch, HHKB Type-S, 456GT Pink

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #691 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 12:57:09 »
Making GB runners sign my weight is a meme I shall apply to all GBs that I join going fowards.

It just ocurred to me while writing a PM to Koob that it'd be neat to make him sign it as the piece of art it truly is, but now I plan to do it ocasionally as well hahah

The number was purely coincidental, but I love it. I'd take 100 or the last one, because they are milestones for this GB.
But no jelly please! We all have beautiful Pearls!  :p :p

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #692 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 17:11:45 »

It just ocurred to me while writing a PM to Koob that it'd be neat to make him sign it as the piece of art it truly is, but now I plan to do it ocasionally as well hahah

The number was purely coincidental, but I love it. I'd take 100 or the last one, because they are milestones for this GB.
But no jelly please! We all have beautiful Pearls!  :p :p

TFW you don't have a beautiful Pearl

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #693 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 20:39:05 »
Hey everyone! Got Acrylic Switchplates (40+ stocked) , PCB's(40+ stocked) and Foam Midlayers(7 stocked) for anyone that wants them! At www.pearlboards.com !

Offline hndle

« Reply #694 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 20:55:51 »
I'm in right now :p

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #695 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 05:19:27 »
Hey everyone! Got Acrylic Switchplates (40+ stocked) , PCB's(40+ stocked) and Foam Midlayers(7 stocked) for anyone that wants them! At www.pearlboards.com !
Show Image

Foam midlayers? :-\

What for? Would love pictures :))

Offline hahihuhei

« Reply #696 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 05:21:41 »
For this: https://www.instagram.com/p/BgjVcUsBKtN/

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #697 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 05:34:09 »
For this: https://www.instagram.com/p/BgjVcUsBKtN/

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ah interesting. I thought it'd be foam below the PCB. This does make a lot of sense though...

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #698 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 09:20:04 »
Hey Xondat! I'm not taking credit for this since it was Jordi's idea, and you probably already know, but the 1.5mm foam midpiece sits between the PCB and switchplate. It eliminates that ~1.5mm pocket of air and brings all the sound to the top end of your keyboard.

What really happens is you don't hear pings, resonance or echoing in the interior of the board. The foam absorbs some of it! Its not necessarily quieting or dampening, more like acoustically redirecting.

You can also put foam under the pcb, but with most people building with the RGB diffuser, I didn't make anything like that as it would block the RGB.

And that's really the beauty of Pearl. Since its small, top mounted, has brass/alu/acrylic plates that support switch top removal, cherry/Alps and QMK/BMC, and stocked extra PCB's, people have the freedom to try new builds without killing themselves from tons of work, while getting comparable switch feel quality of say a high end TKL or something, with again way less work.

Here are pics! You can see the foam sandwiched between the plate and pcb

« Last Edit: Wed, 28 March 2018, 09:26:51 by Koobaczech »

Offline hervuli

« Reply #699 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 20:45:37 »
The foam midpiece is a brilliant idea. On your website it's listed as specifically for the acrylic plate - is that because the acrylic plates have a different cut or thickness compared to the alu/brass plates? I would imagine the effect on resonance etc would still apply to metal plates.
JD40v2 MX Grey | HHKB BKE Heavy | E6-V2 78g Tealios | ZealX60 72g MX Zilent | TGR 910 RE 78g MX Zilent | Singa Vintage MX Black | Octagon V2 MX Grey | Orion V2 MX Clear | Novatouch BKE Extreme