Author Topic: [IC] SA Skyriter (Launching August 7, 2020)  (Read 64040 times)

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
Re: [IC] SA Skyriter (JUN 21, 2020 - Kits updates)
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 15:29:34 »
The kit update looks good, although I think you may have swapped the size annotations on the 1.75u and 2.25u Shift keys by accident :D

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #101 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 17:45:16 »
The kit update looks good, although I think you may have swapped the size annotations on the 1.75u and 2.25u Shift keys by accident :D

Oops! Good catch, I've fixed it now thanks.

Offline dstaar

« Reply #102 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 22:24:19 »

Is it possible to add light-green 6.25u and/or 7u Space into the Spacekeys kit?

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #103 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 23:49:17 »
Boo.  I'll still buy the set, but the olive modifiers are just too much olive.  I would have liked to do monochrome with olive accents on return and escape.  Oh well, like I said, I'll still support the group buy.   :thumb:
I’m sorry, I know you were excited about the possibility. I appreciate you supporting this kit and will do my best to ensure the colours are closely matched to the originals for that authentic retro colour scheme!

Offline husnulhamidiah

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 08:08:10 »
Whats the unit of spacebar in alpha? Is it 6.25u?

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #105 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 08:31:26 »
Whats the unit of spacebar in alpha? Is it 6.25u?
Correct. 6.25u and 7u in the alphas kit.

Offline Motte

Re: [IC] SA Skyriter (JUN 8, 2020 - Kits updates + Monochrome Kit!)
« Reply #106 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 12:50:21 »
Motte hopefully the latest additions will help you!

Thank you. It's a step in the right direction. Sorry I really don't want to be pushy. Would you consider adding a complete nordic set or do you feel there isn't enough interest?

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #107 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 12:53:34 »
Motte hopefully the latest additions will help you!

Thank you. It's a step in the right direction. Sorry I really don't want to be pushy. Would you consider adding a complete nordic set or do you feel there isn't enough interest?
I’m considering it. There have been a few requests so I’m going to put something together and get a quote. I don’t want to promise anything but there’s definitely a possibility!

Offline trashpanda

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 16:39:22 »
bummer was really looking forward to that monochrome TLK kit... why'd it get the axe?

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #109 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 17:04:56 »
bummer was really looking forward to that monochrome TLK kit... why'd it get the axe?
I tried to explain in a previous post but after polling the community more people would prefer a higher MOQ, lower pricing, and better coverage in the olive modifiers. That wouldn’t be possible if there were two modifier kits to choose from.

Additionally, after seeing a few renders from Voodoo6k I felt like it was deviating too much from my initial design goals.

Sorry to tease you with the idea and then retract it. It was a hard choice but I think ultimately the best choice for the overall GB.

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #110 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 19:50:18 »
I'm thinking about adding a NorDe kit alongside the ISO kit as there have been a fair amount of requests for it (no guarantees). Here's what I've got so far which basically copies Oblivion and Dasher Dancer NorDe kits.

For those who would be interested in this kit, am I missing anything or have any of the characters wrong?

Offline trashpanda

« Reply #111 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 12:07:35 »
Sorry to tease you with the idea and then retract it. It was a hard choice but I think ultimately the best choice for the overall GB.

aww s'all good. monochrome keysets are harder to find it seems and i love the look of them, was very briefly excited to get both dark and light green modifiers. but i'll be happy with what you've put together, so pretty!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #112 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 13:29:43 »
I'm thinking about adding a NorDe kit alongside the ISO kit as there have been a fair amount of requests for it (no guarantees). Here's what I've got so far which basically copies Oblivion and Dasher Dancer NorDe kits.

For those who would be interested in this kit, am I missing anything or have any of the characters wrong?

Show Image

A couple things seem to be off / missing. Here's a list, hope you'll find it helpful:
  • R1 2" can be removed since it's already present in the ISO kit as part of the UK keys.
  • The R1 ^° legend looks a bit off, namely the top character. It appears to be a masculine ordinal indicator (º) used in Spanish, whereas the German keyboard layout has a degree sign (°) in that spot.
  • R2 Z alpha is missing for Deutsch.
  • You may want to add a R4 numpad , key, since that's what these languages use, but I wouldn't say it's a must.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 June 2020, 13:43:36 by konstantin »

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #113 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 13:37:46 »

Show Image

A couple things seem to be off / missing. Here's a list, hope you'll find it helpful:
  • R1 2" can be removed since it's already present in the ISO kit as part of the UK keys.
  • The R1 ^° legend looks a bit off, namely the top character. It appears to be a masculine ordinal indicator (º) used in Spanish, whereas the German keyboard layout has a degree sign (°) in that spot.
  • R2 Z alpha is missing for Deutsch.
  • You may want to add a R4 numpad , key, since that's what these languages use, but I wouldn't say it's a must.

Thanks as always, you’re so on top of these things! Yes, I realized I used the wrong character instead of the degree symbol and I’ll update that. I’ll add the “Z” R2 alpha and consider the Numpad key

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #114 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 13:45:54 »
Thanks as always, you’re so on top of these things! Yes, I realized I used the wrong character instead of the degree symbol and I’ll update that. I’ll add the “Z” R2 alpha and consider the Numpad key

My pleasure! I edited in a note after you had replied, so I'll repost it just in case, so you don't miss it:

Adding the following two keys would also let you support Estonian (since it's already covered for the most part), but I'm not sure if that's something you want: R2 Õ, R1 ˇ~.
The latter is less important since it looks almost identical to the regular `~ key, and it occupies the same spot, so you could get away with just adding the Õ (again, if supporting Estonian is something you want).

Offline Motte

« Reply #115 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 14:15:17 »

Show Image

Nicely done! And thank you for being open for us ISO guys :)
konstantin said most points I saw. On german R2 Q and E have second legends: The first one a @ and the latter a €. But I don't think they're a must.
As a german typer, there's a general thing I don't like about separate NorDe and UK kits: I'd have to buy both. The ideal way probably would be to add all the keys a potential buyer would need. But again, this way has a higher risk of not being economical. Having one NorDeUK kit with a bit higher price would be the best compromise IMHO.

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 16:28:19 »
Having one NorDeUK kit with a bit higher price would be the best compromise IMHO.
It would probably help with reaching the MOQ too... I'm using the ISO UK only but i dont mind the bigger kit if that means it can be made at all.

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #117 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 16:32:21 »

Show Image

Nicely done! And thank you for being open for us ISO guys :)
konstantin said most points I saw. On german R2 Q and E have second legends: The first one a @ and the latter a €. But I don't think they're a must.
As a german typer, there's a general thing I don't like about separate NorDe and UK kits: I'd have to buy both. The ideal way probably would be to add all the keys a potential buyer would need. But again, this way has a higher risk of not being economical. Having one NorDeUK kit with a bit higher price would be the best compromise IMHO.
Having one NorDeUK kit with a bit higher price would be the best compromise IMHO.
It would probably help with reaching the MOQ too... I'm using the ISO UK only but i dont mind the bigger kit if that means it can be made at all.

I’ll consider a combined kit. I don’t want ISO users to feel like they have to buy all these extra keys if they are combined and yet it may work out better from an MOQ standpoint if they were. I’ll get quotes for both options and decide from there!

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #118 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 18:12:54 »
We're getting $500 keyboards and $200 keysets. We are fine :)

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #119 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 20:29:46 »

Take a look at these stats (source):

Imo, there are enough German and Nordic users on one hand, and UK and US ISO users on the other hand, to warrant keeping the kits separate. I would either leave them as is, or I would add 2", ISO Enter, 1.25u Shift to the NorDe kit so NorDe users don't have to buy the UK/US keys. But at that point it's just a couple of extra keys, so keeping the kits as is might be the way to go since it also helps the ISO kit hit MOQ.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 July 2020, 04:50:57 by konstantin »

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #120 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 03:54:38 »
I love that graph, ISO users unite.  I am always happy when any designer takes the time to include ISO in their design and sets.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline lazergician

« Reply #121 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 17:47:58 »
These look gorgeous, great work. Can't wait to nab a set.

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #122 on: Sat, 18 July 2020, 13:16:02 »
July 18 Updates
  • Added Novelties kit and Deskmat design
  • Added proposed Norde kit and Standalone Numpad Kit
  • Applied keycap size labels to all non 1u keys

Novelties

Breeze Blocks Deskmat

Offline doubleRdeaner

Re: [IC] SA Skyriter (Launching August 2020 | Added Novelties and Deskmat)
« Reply #123 on: Sat, 18 July 2020, 14:00:53 »
Those look great! What is the significance of the individual symbols you chose?

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #124 on: Sat, 18 July 2020, 14:13:31 »
Those look great! What is the significance of the individual symbols you chose?

Thanks, and great question!

The breeze blocks, an iconic mid-century motif, I visualized being used as a fun way to fill up a macro column or 65% right-hand column.

The typewriter is a fairly literal trace of the side profile of the Skyriter typewriter that this keycap design is based on.

The ISO return jet is designed after the F-100 Super Sabre, one of the first USAF Jet capable of supersonic speed. This was inspired by the fact that the typewriter was meant to be very portable and advertised as being brought onto a plane as part of your carry-on luggage. It's also a callback to the jet graphics used on the original typewriter owners manual.

The bird and 1.5u "dots" novelties are inspired by 1950s Charles and Ray Eames designs while the 1u starburst novelties are inspired by George Nelson wall clocks.

Lastly, the 1.25u diamonds were just a very common design motif in the 50s that I just loved and wanted to pull into this design.

Offline riterdando

« Reply #125 on: Sat, 18 July 2020, 14:21:24 »
Some of the blocks look like the bathroom tiles of my grand parents. So real 1950‘s stuff.

Love it.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Offline bloodparticle

• A through hole keyboard fan!
« Reply #126 on: Sat, 18 July 2020, 15:05:57 »
Maybe add the letter "Ç" to the set. :cool:

Offline trashpanda

« Reply #127 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 15:39:50 »
loving the novelties! I usually don't care for novelties as they're often too "cute", but I'm liking the abstract shapes a lot.

Offline Koobaczech

• Don't forget to smile :)
    • Pearlboards
« Reply #128 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 15:41:26 »
Super excited for this to run!

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #129 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 21:36:32 »
Super excited for this to run!
Same here, I green keysets! Hit me up when you can Koob!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Brawlbeard

« Reply #130 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 16:52:14 »
Please add 1.25u and 1.5u Alt Gr Keycaps to the NorDE Kit.

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #131 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 16:58:04 »
Please add 1.25u and 1.5u Alt Gr Keycaps to the NorDE Kit.
Sadly they won’t be able to make it. I know those legends are semantically more accurate but we’re also trying to keep the cost in balance as well.

Offline lnmq

« Reply #132 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 02:54:02 »
I love the color. Will it run this year?

Offline child

« Reply #133 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 04:17:25 »
Ehm, did you see the subject? ;)

Offline lnmq

« Reply #134 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 04:45:29 »
Ehm, did you see the subject? ;)
My bad. Thank you for pointing out.
Very excited to buy this set. I never think I like this color until I see this keycap set.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #135 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 05:15:20 »
Boo.  I'll still buy the set, but the olive modifiers are just too much olive.  I would have liked to do monochrome with olive accents on return and escape.  Oh well, like I said, I'll still support the group buy.   :thumb:

My thoughts as well. 

In addition, I've just now noticed the novelties. Who ever made them did a really good job. I'm looking forward to GB now 😁

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #136 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 10:12:11 »

My thoughts as well. 

In addition, I've just now noticed the novelties. Who ever made them did a really good job. I'm looking forward to GB now
Thank you! I drew them myself, mind you I had loooots of inspiration to pull from.

We’re very close to launch now. Kits are locked in and pricing and takeoff date will be announced soon!

Offline SeamansBeard

« Reply #137 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 18:42:07 »
Holy **** a Norde kit! Count me in if it comes to fruition!
With regards to the keys included it seems you got most of them. I referenced SA Vilebloom Norde kit which has been a pretty successful kit.

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #138 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 18:47:36 »
Holy **** a Norde kit! Count me in if it comes to fruition!
With regards to the keys included it seems you got most of them. I referenced SA Vilebloom Norde kit which has been a pretty successful kit.

The log says, “It’s happening!”

Offline amperrsand

« Reply #139 on: Sun, 26 July 2020, 21:20:05 »
I love breeze blocks, but the deskmat is too busy for me :/

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #140 on: Mon, 27 July 2020, 08:13:40 »
I love breeze blocks, but the deskmat is too busy for me :/
Thanks for the feedback. I have done some small test prints just to get a feel for the scale of things and I liked it. With that said, I’ll do some further testing just to confirm.

Offline geekit

« Reply #141 on: Wed, 29 July 2020, 10:14:49 »
Just curious, is there a plan to make inverse variation of the greens? Something like SA Dasher & SA Dancer.

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #142 on: Wed, 29 July 2020, 10:18:54 »
Just curious, is there a plan to make inverse variation of the greens? Something like SA Dasher & SA Dancer.
Interesting idea, but no plans for that. Kits are locked in at this point as we’re heading for group buy in early August.

Offline cijanzen

Re: [IC] SA Skyriter (Launching August 7, 2020)
« Reply #143 on: Wed, 29 July 2020, 14:25:52 »
Hey everyone, We have a launch date!

SA Skyriter will be made available for an unlimited group buy world-wide starting August 7, 2020. The group buy will be hosted by Daily Clack, DeskHero, NovelKeys, Mykeyboard.eu, and zFrontier.

Offline lnmq

« Reply #144 on: Wed, 29 July 2020, 21:07:22 »
Great. Can't wait.

Offline mrvco

« Reply #145 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 08:38:10 »
Might not be able to resist ordering regardless, but I'd love to hear opinions on how this set would pair with the Rama Zenith board in Moss.

And will these be ABS or PBT?

« Last Edit: Thu, 30 July 2020, 08:40:26 by mrvco »

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #146 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 08:39:57 »
Might not be able to resist ordering regardless, but I'd love to hear opinions on how this set would pair with the Rama Zenith board in Moss.

And will these be ABS or PBT?
Can’t say for sure how it will pair with the Zenith in Moss but it does work alright with some greens!

These will be doubleshot ABS.

Offline mrvco

« Reply #147 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 08:43:08 »
Much appreciated.  It's a bit hard to tell from their renders, but it will be worth a shot regardless.

Offline rooski15

« Reply #148 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 09:18:34 »
Depending on the pricing breakdown, it might be nice to see the 2 most used spacebars from the spacebars kit included in the 40s/Ortho kit. As it stands, those two kits are kind of tied together, given very few use a 6.25/7u spacebar.

Just my 2¢.

Edit: nvm, kits are locked I see.

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #149 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 09:37:12 »
Depending on the pricing breakdown, it might be nice to see the 2 most used spacebars from the spacebars kit included in the 40s/Ortho kit. As it stands, those two kits are kind of tied together, given very few use a 6.25/7u spacebar.

Just my 2¢.

Edit: nvm, kits are locked I see.
Thanks for the feedback. What I can say, is that when combined, the two kits will be slightly cheaper than your typical ortho/40s kit.