Author Topic: What did you find today? (e-cycler, thrift store, dumpster & garage sale finds!)  (Read 35479 times)

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
Can't believe I couldn't find a current thread on this. I know quite a few of us dig through the local thrift shop hoping to find the one decent board in the pile of Quiet Keys and MS Naturals.

Anyway, post your in-person finds, be it Goodwill, Weird Stuff, garage sales, etc!

I'll start us off with these Alps boards I found at a hole-in-the-wall computer store in Oakland this morning.

NIB (bag, no box :/) Omnikey (white clicky Alps)
Dell with black tactile Alps

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
my real father
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Jwaz you got an Omnikey?? Go back and grab me one!

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
Nice score. Never tried alps.

Offline Beca

• what am i doing with my life
fellow oaklander? awww yeh

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
Can't believe I couldn't find a current thread on this. I know quite a few of us dig through the local thrift shop hoping to find the one decent board in the pile of Quiet Keys and MS Naturals.

Anyway, post your in-person finds, be it Goodwill, Weird Stuff, garage sales, etc!

I'll start us off with these Alps boards I found at a hole-in-the-wall computer store in Oakland this morning.

Show Image

NIB (bag, no box :/) Omnikey (white clicky Alps)
Dell with black tactile Alps

Wow lucky! Went to like 4 places and the only 1 board that was any what eye catching was an IBM rubber dome ha..

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
a different sort of input device:

« Last Edit: Sat, 10 May 2014, 17:33:57 by jwaz »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
Show Image

Show Image

Oh man I remember the ads for the power glove. It looked so awesome. Got one for Christmas and it was pretty useless lol. Looks rad though.

Offline brainT

I work for an e-cycle/resale company. We had a rather large collection even yesterday and this beauty turned up.  I asked my boss to set it aside so I could buy it later and he just told me to take it! Almost nabbed a nice ALPs board as well but on of the volunteers trashed it before I could put it in the keeper pile.

[img]https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1.0-9/1010880_10151993118250964_330604634400882140_n.jpg/img]

Offline Kliee

This is really a cool find! Plus it seems to be in great condition.

Too bad for the ALPS board, but just this 1390131 is already awesome. I whish I could get one like this!

Topre Realforce 104UB | IBM model M 1391401 (1987 & 1991), 52G9658 (1993), 51G8572 (1994) | Unicomp Customizer 105 (fr) | Unicomp Customizer 101 | Cherry G80-3000 MX Clear | Noppoo Choc Mini Mx Blue | Steelseries Steelkeys 6G V1 Mx Black

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
I work for an e-cycle/resale company. We had a rather large collection even yesterday and this beauty turned up.  I asked my boss to set it aside so I could buy it later and he just told me to take it! Almost nabbed a nice ALPs board as well but on of the volunteers trashed it before I could put it in the keeper pile.

Show Image

Great find on the Model M!

From DT Wiki:
1390131 Appearing at the same time as the 1390120, the 1390131 was associated with certain variants of the PC AT, as well as the XT 286. It differed from the 1390120 by having lock lights. It could be considered the same as the 1388032, except in the standard white colour, and with a metallic IBM logo label.

• Show Image
      IBM PC AT Keyboard, Part Number 1390131. This can be distinguished from the more common 1391401 by the square metal IBM logo on the top right of the keyboard.

What Alps board was trashed? I'm kind of jealous that you get to work for an E-cycler, so much good stuff gets thrown away :/

Offline brainT

I was shocked when I saw it! We have another, newer one sitting at the warehouse with a healthy coating of dust thats next on my list.  My boss is pretty cool about grabbing stuff.  There's so much that comes in but only so much that is worth selling.  Even with the salable stuff so much gets torn down for good because we don't have the space or manpower to actually sell it again.  There's a Thinkpad 300 sitting in our "to the junker" crate that I'll probably end up pulling and adding to my tech to refurb stash. 

It's a dangerous place to work for someone that likes old tech...

This is the Alps board that I didn't get to in time: http://www.uneedus.com/alps.html
I'm hoping that it just got buried in a crate and not destroyed.  As long as the volunteers didn't smash it I should be able to get it going again as we tend to just cut the cords to sell for the copper and ship the rest out to be broken down further elsewhere.

Edited: Wrong link...

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
Found this UK ISO Olivetti G81 on a classified ad last week.. Got it for £10 shipped. Should be here next week. It looks like it's in good condition with no yellowing. I just hope there's no shine..

https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
Found this UK ISO Olivetti G81 on a classified ad last week.. Got it for £10 shipped. Should be here next week. It looks like it's in good condition with no yellowing. I just hope there's no shine..

Show Image

Wow scored. Looks very clean.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"

Show Image

Deal of the year?

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
Deal of the year?
If it doesn't have any shine then it might be a contender! :cool: Not sure what the market value is though. I've never seen UK ISO Olivetti (except one that tinnie found on ebay, but nobody got), and I've only ever seen 1 or 2 Olivetti doubleshot sets in good condition.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline tinlong117

Show Image

Deal of the year?
No.

Offline tinlong117

Deal of the year?
If it doesn't have any shine then it might be a contender! :cool: Not sure what the market value is though. I've never seen UK ISO Olivetti (except one that tinnie found on ebay, but nobody got), and I've only ever seen 1 or 2 Olivetti doubleshot sets in good condition.

Oh **** :/

Offline intelli78

No keyboards lately, but I found this for $25.00 at an antique store:

haven't built it yet, but it looks complete.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode

Show Image

Nice find! I was going to guess 80s but it's late 70s.

From what I can tell that's a pretty great price for something like this though I'm not really in the know on vintage Legos.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all

Show Image

I only collect Bionicles, but that seems like a great price. :thumb:

Offline intelli78

I vaguely remember Bionicles, but I think that was mostly after I stopped playing with Legos  :p

Nice find! I was going to guess 80s but it's late 70s.

From what I can tell that's a pretty great price for something like this though I'm not really in the know on vintage Legos.

I'd say so! I'd buy 300+ piece vintage Lego sets all day long for $25 a pop.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all

I vaguely remember Bionicles, but I think that was mostly after I stopped playing with Legos  :p
I just love the complex design of the older Bionicles, and the lore was fantastic!

Offline tinlong117

I found these.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
I found these.
Show Image

For free? Confused...

Offline narlzac85

$2 Focus FK-555 from Goodwill. Seems to be in perfect shape, except for a little grime.

66105-0
66107-1
66109-2

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
Any plans for the switches? Maybe a Kingsaver :p

Just realized we have all kinds of awesome Alps finds

Offline narlzac85

I have no current plans for this keyboard other than using it for a while. I'm not likely to tear it apart.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
I have no current plans for this keyboard other than using it for a while. I'm not likely to tear it apart.

You don't have to take anything apart.  Just enjoy a really good bargain that very few of us here on Geekhack could ever get  :thumb: .

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode

You don't have to take anything apart.  Just enjoy a really good bargain that very few of us here on Geekhack could ever get  :thumb: .

It ain't like that, you just gotta dig through a bunch of trash. Rouger just came through the Bay and picked up a Model F 122 and an AT from one of my local spots...

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
Hey how do you guys get keyboards from E-Cyclers? I went to one here and they said they don't offer any electronics (keyboards) to anyone. Do you have to go to a private owned one and not the county?

Offline zenuty

• WTS : Duck, Pla, Acrylic 3 Pokers
Show Image

Show Image

Wow That was my children device a long time ago
Very Good
LINE ID : zenuty
Skype ID : zenuty
www.facebook.com/zenuty

Offline brainT

Hey how do you guys get keyboards from E-Cyclers? I went to one here and they said they don't offer any electronics (keyboards) to anyone. Do you have to go to a private owned one and not the county?

Some have stores/ebay sales (like the one I work for), and others it may just be cool about it I would imagine.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs

Some have stores/ebay sales (like the one I work for), and others it may just be cool about it I would imagine.

Oh alright I was assuming it was just the one I went to. Thanks!

Offline brainT

No problem! Just check around to find one that does more than just strait up recycle the stuff.  The one I work for is a non-profit which leaves us pretty limited on what we can actually rescue and put back out into the world with how limited we are on money and manpower.  The stuff that end up in our "dumpster" make me cringe from time to time.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs

No problem! Just check around to find one that does more than just strait up recycle the stuff.  The one I work for is a non-profit which leaves us pretty limited on what we can actually rescue and put back out into the world with how limited we are on money and manpower.  The stuff that end up in our "dumpster" make me cringe from time to time.

Oh wow, yeah that makes perfect sense. Damn I bet! Thanks,

Offline brainT

The nostalgia hit me hard when I found this.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
I found an AT101, before I was forced to go offline; asked, if they had more stuff like that... didn't get any specific answer, but a 700% price rise and a claim that the fugly AT101 was #vintage #rare #collectible. Screw 'em.

Offline brainT

Space invader switches and a big ass enter.  I think I'm in love (typing on it now).

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
Space invader switches and a big ass enter.  I think I'm in love (typing on it now).
Show Image

I have that exact board that I rescued form an e-recycler. I like it, but I could not get used to the tiny backspace. Still, nice find. I think space invaders are very pleasant to type on.
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
Show Image

Clickey Space Invaders? I agree with whiskeytango a lot of boards from this OEM with the tiny backspace have great switches but I just can't hand the 1U spacing.

Offline brainT

Show Image

I have that exact board that I rescued form an e-recycler. I like it, but I could not get used to the tiny backspace. Still, nice find. I think space invaders are very pleasant to type on.

I love the switches but the backspace is going to take some time to get used to.  They're firmly on my list of things to look for now.

Working for an e-cycler is just dangerous, there are so many coolthings that come through our doors/loading dock that just get torn down for a full on recycling. If I brought every cool piece of old tech home my fiancee would kill me...

Offline brainT

Picked up a blue label Model M today!  Now I just need a SSK to complete the family, I'll post a pic when I get it cleaned and all of them together.

Offline brainT

MX blacks and ML's. 

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Show Image

SOME FINE LITERATURE YOU FOUND YOURSELF THERE!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
Picked up a blue label Model M today!  Now I just need a SSK to complete the family, I'll post a pic when I get it cleaned and all of them together.

Nice! I still need to find an ecycler that sells stuff too.

Offline Findecanor

I have a cold, so I'm sitting at home instead of going to the large open-air flea market. :(

Offline brainT

Nice! I still need to find an ecycler that sells stuff too.

I work for one so it's extra dangerous but we are working on getting online sales going, and I'm hoping get mechanicals lumped into that category as they don't really sell well in the store.  And my fiancee will kill me if I keep buying them to rescue them from the junk bin...
Show Image

SOME FINE LITERATURE YOU FOUND YOURSELF THERE!

Only the best! Now if only some usable installation media would come in so I could slap it on a old machine and set it up in the shop for giggles...

Offline brainT

A couple Model M's with funky keycaps:

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
A pretty gross Leading Edge KB with SMK MX mount switches.

Feels really weird. It feels very tactile if I press the key slowly, but when I type on it at full speed the tactility pretty much goes away and it's more akin to an MX Brown.

Offline kaje

NMB RT-101+ with beige Space Invader tactile switches.

Cleaned up:

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
Got a hookup with a guy who takes in broken computers and builds up working PCs and donates them to disabled combat vets. He's got multiple storage units full of computer equipment so I can only imagine there are a bunch of vintage mech boards in there. He was happy to let me search around one of his storage units today and I snagged a blue label model M (he even let me have it for free!). Looking forward to seeing what else he has when I've got some more spare time.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Got a hookup with a guy who takes in broken computers and builds up working PCs and donates them to disabled combat vets. He's got multiple storage units full of computer equipment so I can only imagine there are a bunch of vintage mech boards in there. He was happy to let me search around one of his storage units today and I snagged a blue label model M (he even let me have it for free!). Looking forward to seeing what else he has when I've got some more spare time.

Damn, that will be cool.  Hopefully you make some fun Alps discoveries.  #AlpsHipster4Life

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
Went to a recycler in the Bay last weekend..just a bunch of domers and junk, but it's always fun anyways :D

Offline gogusrl

Just got this combo of 6 keyboards for ~60$
His description was :
1. IBM 1390714. missing keys
2.  Bunker Ramo 125-600389
3. Vendex P/N 112763-001. XT connector
4. Unitek K-151L.
5. Junior XT (Hall effect)
6. terminal keyboard VDT-52S/microcomputer Cub-Z.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Just got this combo of 6 keyboards for ~60$
His description was :
1. IBM 1390714. missing keys
2.  Bunker Ramo 125-600389
3. Vendex P/N 112763-001. XT connector
4. Unitek K-151L.
5. Junior XT (Hall effect)
6. terminal keyboard VDT-52S/microcomputer Cub-Z.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Welcome to Geekhack!

An interesting way to start a keyboard collection ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline gogusrl

Hehe thx, didn't even notice that was my first post here. Guess I've been more active on DT. Still a beginner, buying everything I can get my hands on to check everything out.

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
found this baby at the trash place, don't have a clue what it is but it has really nice tactile feels

HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
NMB rubber dome AFAIK, not a bad one for sure.

Offline silas1128

Found this guy a few days ago...

http://imgur.com/a/IVCoK

Offline Fnzzy

Went to a thrift shop today and found a Cherry G80-1000HAD with MX Blacks for 2€. Comes with german double shots and a missing F1 key. And those blacks feel so incredibly smooth!

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
Went to a thrift shop today and found a Cherry G80-1000HAD with MX Blacks for 2€. Comes with german double shots and a missing F1 key. And those blacks feel so incredibly smooth!

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

now that's a freaking score! nice job man!

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

good basis for a custom keyboard project. you got smooth switches and nice keycaps... and that for 2Euro... good find.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

dang man, nice find!
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
good basis for a custom keyboard project. you got smooth switches and nice keycaps... and that for 2Euro... AWE$OME find.

ftfy :D

Offline Fnzzy

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

good basis for a custom keyboard project. you got smooth switches and nice keycaps... and that for 2Euro... good find.

It's my third Cherry double shot set now. I have one ANSI and two ISO sets. But at least I got some smooth blacks and some extra stabilizers that I can use for future projects (planning on building a Viper and a NerD 60).

It was hard to stay calm in the thrift shop when I saw it lying around in a box with the mx black exposed.  :thumb:

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
I "recovered" this big ass swintec typewriter from disposal, I don't know much about it but the caps were cool..Too bad they're too big for cherry mx, hah.

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Dang, at that price, it's certainly a great deal! Nice find! Are the switches vintage blacks or normal blacks? o.o
I "recovered" this big ass swintec typewriter from disposal, I don't know much about it but the caps were cool..Too bad they're too big for cherry mx, hah.

Show Image

Show Image

I like the caps a lot! Too bad they don't fit :( Any idea what switches are on the typewriter?

edit: Multi-quoted a extra post.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
Haul from this past weekend:

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!

Show Image

Show Image

Awesome! Nice ALPS caps, and is that a Model F XT?
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
Yup, tons of good Alps stuff. Blue Alps, SGI, AEK and old white T-mount. '86 and '88 NIB Model Ms were a nice surprise. The XT F got dropped in the parking lot but I was going to use it for parts anyway.

I'm pretty stoked on the PVM too.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati

Show Image

Show Image

IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline jacobolus

Yup, tons of good Alps stuff. Blue Alps, SGI, AEK and old white T-mount. '86 and '88 NIB Model Ms were a nice surprise. The XT F got dropped in the parking lot but I was going to use it for parts anyway.
Where’d you get it?

Offline DamnDan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • The Insane One
    • My Deviantart
I finally can add something to this thread! :)
On Saturday i went to the thrift store and found me a Swedish model M for 1zł (about 0,25$).

It was horribly dirty and missing the "9" key, but had original ps/2 cable :)

Before:

Aftuh:

All in all a fully functional model M for a miniature amount of money :)

Btw: Any clues about the fact that the numpad legens are violet O,o?

Ps: Does anyone have a spare "9" key?:P

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
An excellent find - congratulations!

No idea why the legends were a different colour - fading, perhaps?  Although unlikely as the primary legends are still black.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline DamnDan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • The Insane One
    • My Deviantart
An excellent find - congratulations!

No idea why the legends were a different colour - fading, perhaps?  Although unlikely as the primary legends are still black.

Thanks! :) I was really happy to find and clean it :)

As for the legends...now that you mentioned it they do look faded instead of violet O,o wierd that other legends did not fade

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
*FINALLY* I spot something even worth mentioning. I didn't pick these up but I did find them:

Compaq Rubber Dome with a weird and cool layout

IBM Selectric Correcting II - I *really* wanted this but it's missing parts and the keyboard seemed jammed.

Keytronic with really nice rubber domes. Didn't wear well though because the home row felt linear compared to the very nice tactile bump on the rest of the keys.

I did pick this up for real cheap though :D

Offline Touch_It

Nothing...again.  Vice city though brings back a lot of memories :). I'd also like to tulle on a selectric some day

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Jotokun

Today was a good day.

Gateway 2000. Rubber dome, with cherry compatible doubleshots.

Goldtouch KeyOvation. Really light rubberdomes.

IBM Wheelwriter. The typewriter part is broken, but I'm hoping I can yank the keyboard off and get it going standalone.

Wyse ASCII. Aside from a damaged space bar stabilizer, this thing is remarkably clean. Cherry blacks, beautiful doubleshot keycaps.
85 IBM Model F "120" ANSI-Modded | 86 IBM Model M | Cherry G84-4100 | TG3 Data911 (MX Blacks) | 90 Apple Extended II (Linear modded Cream ALPS) | 95 Apple Extended II (Dampened White ALPS)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Are your Gateway doubleshots?  I have a similar Gateway keyboard and although MX compatible, they are not doubleshots (from what I remember).

Offline Jotokun

Are your Gateway doubleshots?  I have a similar Gateway keyboard and although MX compatible, they are not doubleshots (from what I remember).

Yep

They're the same profile as the Wyse caps, and the alphanumerics seem to have the same font. Deskthority's wiki says the Wyse caps were made by Signature Plastics, wouldn't be surprised if these Gateways were as well.
85 IBM Model F "120" ANSI-Modded | 86 IBM Model M | Cherry G84-4100 | TG3 Data911 (MX Blacks) | 90 Apple Extended II (Linear modded Cream ALPS) | 95 Apple Extended II (Dampened White ALPS)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.

Yep

Show Image

Show Image

They're the same profile as the Wyse caps, and the alphanumerics seem to have the same font. Deskthority's wiki says the Wyse caps were made by Signature Plastics, wouldn't be surprised if these Gateways were as well.

Lucky you!

I checked mine - definitely not DS.

Offline DamnDan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • The Insane One
    • My Deviantart
Not thrift but pretty much dumpster find

Got some of the g81-3000 my company was getting rid of (don't ask why capless, they needed 1u caps for promotion stuff...just don't ask).

Two of them still had lasered german caps (YAY). And the rest will be left for modding i guess :P (there is about 15 shells in there)

Problem is i kinda sorta started to enjoy the MY :P

Offline SixtyLife

Not thrift but pretty much dumpster find

Show Image

Got some of the g81-3000 my company was getting rid of (don't ask why capless, they needed 1u caps for promotion stuff...just don't ask).

Two of them still had lasered german caps (YAY). And the rest will be left for modding i guess :P (there is about 15 shells in there)

Problem is i kinda sorta started to enjoy the MY :P

lol nice.. I just tried white MYs for the first time a few weeks ago. thinking about it makes me shudder :D
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
Solid haul from this morning:
Options '94, Lexmark '93 and an IBM '88
Northgate Omnikey
Sony BVM and PVM

and a complimentary lady bug 🐞

Offline BlueNalgene

This thread has been quiet for a month, time to apply necromancy.

I was walking to work today, and there is a thrift store en route.  I found something outside that was half off that I just couldn't live without.

I paid $4 for this ugly ass chair.  It was a ***** to carry home, too.  No clue if it works.  I might be just as happy if it doesn't, since I have a small pile of practice amp parts that need a home.  I can't wait to get home and test it.  Amazon says it was probably a good deal.

Offline KH

• My fotki pics
That's a nice chair! Not ugly at all!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Looks like something out of Star Trek!

Offline BlueNalgene

That's a nice chair! Not ugly at all!

Looks like something out of Star Trek!

The power supply connection was bad, so I did a little light soldering and it works.  The sound quality is good, though the phono jack has a lot of static.  Thankfully the RCA audio are in good condition. 

It is super uncomfortable to me though.  There is something inside that hits me in the middle of the back.  It is kinda low for a computer chair, and I don't have a console to game on using it, let alone a TV. 

Clearly there is only one option.  I'm going to tear the ****er apart, restuff the thing, add in some speakers I harvested from some practice amps, throw in some better amp hardware, hardwire the power cable, and put some rollers on it.  I needed a new desk chair anyway.  Might as well pimp it out like there is no tomorrow.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
sadbox and I hit one of our go-to spots this weekend, came up with some good stuff, pictures to come.

Offline sadbox

• life coaching since 1990
    • sadbox dot org
Bad news first:
A Datalux spacesaver with MEI switches. Cost me $20. I didn't have the heart to haggle after hearing the price for the other board.

And the wonderful:
An awesome condition Model F AT for $10.

Bonus Points:
jwaz with the loot and some grumpy old dude behind him.

« Last Edit: Wed, 29 July 2015, 00:57:01 by sadbox »
Work: Topre Realforce + CST L-Trac
Home: QFR (Blues, Blank Black PBT caps) + CST L-Trac-X

Offline Mooksie

Sweet finds. That pic is hilarious.
we use up all the cupholders during our furious love making sessions

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
bahahah I look so nonplussed about the whole thing.

we got the dealz though, any bay area fools that want to come kick and buy sweet keyboards for no money should get at me :))

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
haha, that's an awesome pic, swagged out with keyboard treasures on bart.

I might have to change my avatar to that old farts pic too.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
haha, that's an awesome pic, swagged out with keyboard treasures on bart.

I might have to change my avatar to that old farts pic too.

:)) YES. can this be a thing now?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
ROFL Jwaz, you look absurd in that picture.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
ROFL Jwaz, you look absurd in that picture.

I know. I am not so photogenic -,-

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
Jwaz is actually the old guy

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
Jwaz is actually the old guy

He's actually a dog in disguise, like all of us...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.

Offline fenwick

I went to St. Vincent's today and found a Unicomp Model M for $2.  It's basically the same one that's on Massdrop right now for $80  ;D.  Here's a photo of it next to my Poker 3.

There was stack of 4 of keyboards in an area that had just piles and piles of junk that you would literally have to climb over to get to them.  But!  I found a way to get my hand to them by reaching over a shelf from behind, so I grabbed each individual board blindly and pressed down on some keys to find any mechs.  I'm very glad I did that because this thing rocks.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
I went to St. Vincent's today and found a Unicomp Model M for $2.  It's basically the same one that's on Massdrop right now for $80  ;D.  Here's a photo of it next to my Poker 3.

Show Image

There was stack of 4 of keyboards in an area that had just piles and piles of junk that you would literally have to climb over to get to them.  But!  I found a way to get my hand to them by reaching over a shelf from behind, so I grabbed each individual board blindly and pressed down on some keys to find any mechs.  I'm very glad I did that because this thing rocks.

Unicomps already being thrown away? D: lol
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.

Show Image

Congratulations - that's a fantastic price for a buckling spring keyboard, even if it is a Unicomp ;)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine

Found these Alphasmart 3000 word processor devices. They were discarded by Erpenbeck Elementary school. Unfortunately I picked one without a name on it. So I did not get Andrew's. But I did get #49.

So how I understand it, it's a very basic computer. It's a portable word processor with rechargeable battery inside.  The device literally just has word processing capabilities and a basic calculator function. I can write and store up to ten files. When I'm ready, I can send the files into Word. Plug the Alphasmart in, hit send file, and the file writes itself into Word or whatever you like. When plugged in, it also will work as a normal keyboard. Here's a video if you're curious:

https://instagram.com/p/6snuu_MOsE/

Reminds me of that Hemmingwrite project that popped up last year. I'd love mechanical switches in this but I'm stuck with rubberdomes. It's not horrible though.

Seems like the Alphasmart has been talked about quite a few times on the forum but I didn't realize it existed until this morning when I ran across the tub of them haha.

Offline captaineleven

Re: What did you find today? (e-cycler, thrift store, dumpster & garage sale finds!)
« Reply #106 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 19:51:26 »
Went to a rescue mission thrift store today and all the keyboards available were rubber domes and/or membrane keyboards but I still got a couple because of their sound and feel. Plus they were pretty decent condition as well as being terribly cheap.

This is a Compaq RT-101 keyboard that has a good tactile feel to it.

The black one is a WYSE KB-3923 keyboard that just sounds nice haha

And as a plus, I found a Brother AX-24 Electronic Keyboard still with a fair bit of ink in the ribbon. So it was a pretty decent day.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 September 2015, 21:34:54 by captaineleven »
So fancy!

Offline BlueNalgene

Re: What did you find today? (e-cycler, thrift store, dumpster & garage sale finds!)
« Reply #107 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 21:14:03 »
Went to a rescue mission thrift store today and all the keyboards available were rubber domes and/or membrane keyboards but I still got a couple because of their sound and feel. Plus they were pretty decent condition as well as being terribly cheap.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

And as a plus, I found a Brother AX-24 Electronic Keyboard still with a fair bit of ink in the ribbon. So it was a pretty decent day.
Show Image

Your pic links are dead.  If you want to post pics from flickr, you need to click "Share" then "BBCode" and paste that instead.

Offline captaineleven

« Reply #108 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 21:29:00 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Your pic links are dead.  If you want to post pics from flickr, you need to click "Share" then "BBCode" and paste that instead.

OH WHOOPS! Well goes to show how much I know about forums. Thanks! Will be fixing them right now.

All fixed. Thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 September 2015, 21:35:57 by captaineleven »
So fancy!

Offline mason

• have fun with her, ryan
IBM Selectric II. I didn't buy it, though it was $7.99

116563-0
116565-1

Offline jonathanyu

Found few (nice?) keyboard last Friday.

Two of them have mx compatible doubleshot keycaps. One has mx blue with some interesting chinese sub language keycaps, I believe they are pad print tho. One has alps clone with doubleshot keycaps. One has white alps with doubleshot caps.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Show Image

Two of them have mx compatible doubleshot keycaps. One has mx blue with some interesting chinese sub language keycaps, I believe they are pad print tho. One has alps clone with doubleshot keycaps. One has white alps with doubleshot caps.

Looks like some interesting finds!

I wish I could find something like that one day.

Do you plan to restore them, or use them as donors?

Offline jonathanyu

Show Image

Looks like some interesting finds!

I wish I could find something like that one day.

Do you plan to restore them, or use them as donors?

i will definitely clean all of them, and will keep the white alps one :p not sure about other yet.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
Show Image

Show Image

Found these Alphasmart 3000 word processor devices. They were discarded by Erpenbeck Elementary school. Unfortunately I picked one without a name on it. So I did not get Andrew's. But I did get #49.

So how I understand it, it's a very basic computer. It's a portable word processor with rechargeable battery inside.  The device literally just has word processing capabilities and a basic calculator function. I can write and store up to ten files. When I'm ready, I can send the files into Word. Plug the Alphasmart in, hit send file, and the file writes itself into Word or whatever you like. When plugged in, it also will work as a normal keyboard. Here's a video if you're curious:

https://instagram.com/p/6snuu_MOsE/

Reminds me of that Hemmingwrite project that popped up last year. I'd love mechanical switches in this but I'm stuck with rubberdomes. It's not horrible though.

Seems like the Alphasmart has been talked about quite a few times on the forum but I didn't realize it existed until this morning when I ran across the tub of them haha.

Holy ****e, I used to use those back in elementary school myself! Been a looooooooooooooooong time since I've seen one, very nice find!

Offline TacticalCoder

Nice!  Found a very similar one and just scavenged the keys and threw the rest at the dumpster.  The keys are so soft: love the feeling.  The ones I have are kinda compatible with Topre switches but not a 100% fit.  So I only replaced my HHKB's ESC key with a great looking green-on-black double-shot "CODE" key :)
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline 2ter

found this chicony 5160at at the thrift store this afternoon:

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
found this chicony 5160at at the thrift store this afternoon:

Show Image

Show Image

Wow, nice find!

Offline Nafs_asp

I found a couple of these NOS Honeywell keycaps on eBay a couple weeks ago. Modded one for Cherry MX (:

139220-0
139222-1
139224-2

Here's an album of the mod: http://imgur.com/a/N5Aqr

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
I found a couple of these NOS Honeywell keycaps on eBay a couple weeks ago. Modded one for Cherry MX (:

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Here's an album of the mod: http://imgur.com/a/N5Aqr

Nicely done!  And a very nice shade of aqua on the Esc :)