Author Topic: Das III or Steelkeys 7G?  (Read 6709 times)

Offline low-fi

Das III or Steelkeys 7G?
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 03 July 2009, 08:43:37 »
My G80-3000 arrived today, five days before the estimated time of arrival. Very impressive.

What struck me first was how light this keyboard is. Compared to Unicomp Spacesaver the thing feels like a feather. Luckily the G80 isn't quite as large as Model M, so I got enough free space for my mouse.

So far I REALLY like the Cherry Blues! They seem to be much easier to press than buckling springs, it's also a lot easier not to bottom out the keys. The 'board ain't loud at all, compared to Model M. I seem to type a lot faster than before; I've made more typos, but that's just because I haven't fully adjusted to the layout. Somehow writing on this thing is like writing on a typewriter, at least that's the impression I'm having right now. The overall feel of this keyboard can be described as "funny sandy chirpiness". :) The enter, backspace and shift keys seem more stiff than the rest; I think they use different switches.

What's best, the keyboard allows enough keys to be pressed at the same time to justify it as a gaming keyboard. Very nice.

So far G80-3000 seems better than the legendary Model M. It's just weird it's so light!

BTW, just a funny thing I noticed: the surface under the keyboard affects the overall feel A LOT. At first I had the keyboard on my lap and it felt a bit plasticky; but when I put it on my desk it now feels as if it had a thick wood plate under it.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
Das III or Steelkeys 7G?
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 03 July 2009, 10:20:56 »
Quote from: low-fi;100917
What struck me first was how light this keyboard is. Compared to Unicomp Spacesaver the thing feels like a feather.

Yep. In fact G80s are a good bit lighter than G81s, which have a metal base plate under the membrane layers (while the G80 just has the much lighter PCB).
BTW, just a funny thing I noticed: the surface under the keyboard affects the overall feel A LOT. At first I had the keyboard on my lap and it felt a bit plasticky; but when I put it on my desk it now feels as if it had a thick wood plate under it.

True. The case construction may be cheap, but they sure got force transfer to the desk right. (These boards are pretty resistant to sliding around, too, as long as the rubber feet are in decent shape.) With a G80-1000 it's more like typing "in the air" if you know what I mean, the sound is more hollow.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline low-fi

Das III or Steelkeys 7G?
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 03 July 2009, 13:59:55 »
Just noticed a strange thing. My left shoulder hurts when I type on the G80. Maybe I'm not used to typing 'softly' and it strains my muscles. Never ever had this problem before. :(

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Das III or Steelkeys 7G?
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 03 July 2009, 14:53:19 »
I doubt blue switches are going to cause you ergonomic problems... I think it's more likely that there's something wrong with the way you're sitting or the way you have the keyboard set up? I'm not an expert on this, but I think there's some threads around here on RSI and the like.

Offline low-fi

Das III or Steelkeys 7G?
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 03 July 2009, 21:24:35 »
Oh, I have destroyed a lot of keyboard drawers. I've also destroyed many 'computer chairs'. The current desk I'm using is extremely well built -- it's like a normal desk but it has a "deepening" (I'm sorry but I can't find a proper English word for this) for a keyboard. Luckily the "pit" has enough room for both G80 and a mouse. It is clearly designed in a time when keyboards were the main input device and no one had heard of mouses; I bought my desk used from a store that sells used 'office equipment'.

I would consider my current 'computer area' to be at least fairly ergonomic.

I will post pictures when I get the chance to use a digital camera.

Offline low-fi

Das III or Steelkeys 7G?
« Reply #55 on: Sat, 04 July 2009, 10:40:10 »
Oh, don't get me wrong, I haven't destroyed the keyboard drawers and chairs out of NERD RAGE. :D I think I just sit in a manner that ends up breaking the chair -- keyboard drawers usually break just because those things aren't made to withstand 24/7 typing.

Offline Special K

Das III or Steelkeys 7G?
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 04 July 2009, 15:56:48 »
Quote from: mmgoose;98835

if you're at your house or with tolerant friends. then clickies are fine, but at lan parties? there's bound to be someone who's gonna get real annoyed with the constant 300+ clackety clacks per MINUTE of bs and alps.

Doesn't everyone use headphones at LAN parties?  They did at the few I went to.  I'm not sure how insulating everyone's headphones are, but I doubt the clacking of a a BS/alps keyboard would be very audible through my headphones while I'm playing a loud FPS game.
Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2
IBM Model M 1391401 - 11/13/87

Quote from: ripster
LOL - we're on post #163 of this mega-thread and you've gone from"keyboard n00b" to "keyboard sn0b".  We've done our job.

Offline 1cewolf

Das III or Steelkeys 7G?
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 05 July 2009, 08:54:19 »
I went to local LAN parties in college and one of the regulars, Mike, brought his Model M with him every time. Nobody really minded. We all thought it was kind of funny that he would use such an old clunker and not something l337 like our super-duper gaming keyboards. At least, that's how it was before some kid tried to steal Mike's Red Bull. Mike got pissed off, grabbed his Model M, and whacked the kid over the head with it. Needless to say, nobody ever messed with Mike's drinks again and we all gained respect for the mighty Model M.

Good times, good times.
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 July 2009, 09:05:23 by 1cewolf »

Offline low-fi

Das III or Steelkeys 7G?
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 13 July 2009, 07:26:17 »
I must be totally insane.

One guy was selling a Filco NKRO on the Finland's Ebay equivalent and it just happened that I won the bid.

I'll be living in absolute poverty for the rest of this month, but what the hell, at least I'll be having some quality keyboard time.

It's interesting to see how the Brown Cherries differ from the Blues.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
Das III or Steelkeys 7G?
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 13 July 2009, 08:26:52 »
Sounds like a case for Keyboholics Anonymous... :D
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline lowpoly

Das III or Steelkeys 7G?
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 13 July 2009, 08:49:30 »
It will not be your last keyboard.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline low-fi

Das III or Steelkeys 7G?
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 16 July 2009, 09:13:22 »
Just received my Filco. After using buckling springs for a few years the Brown Cherries just feel absolutely weird. They're quite nice to type on but they somehow feel very loose. On the G80-3000 I was typing very fast from the start. On this keyboard it feels like I have to think very carefully what I'm typing. The texture on the keys is quite weird -- it feels like they have no texture at all. They don't seem to 'attach' to your skin like the rough Model M keys do. The seem a bit smaller than your standard keyboard keys, too.

The guy who decided on US enter being shift-sized was obviously a total moron. ;) I think it'll take a lot of time for me to get used to this.

On the positive side, the n-key rollover feature works absolutely great and the keyboard is really compact-sized. I've never had so much room for my mouse, which is rather nice.

This keyboard seems like I might love it in the future. It doesn't really feel BAD, it is just very weird. Even rubber domes and buckling springs don't have this big a difference between them. I just need to get used to it. I think I'll give it a week and see if there's a difference.

Offline lal

Das III or Steelkeys 7G?
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 16 July 2009, 09:24:18 »
Apples vs. oranges.  You really need time to get in touch with a new board.  You might want to add your impressions to the appropriate review.
BS: Customizer, Model Ms; Alps: CSK-2101, FK-2002, AT-101 (SGI & Dell), MCK-860, FKBN87Z/EB; Cherry: Poker X, FKBN87MC/EB, WY60, G80-3000, G84-4100, TDV 5010

Offline low-fi

Das III or Steelkeys 7G?
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 16 July 2009, 09:27:03 »
Wow! I just tried playing Doom for a few minutes, and I knew instantly that the Filco rocks as a gaming keyboard if nothing else! Not only because of the N-key rollover, but also because of the overall keyfeel.

It's just a bad-ass.

Offline low-fi

Das III or Steelkeys 7G?
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 16 July 2009, 09:27:57 »
Oh, and yes, I think I'll be writing a review after I get used to this thing.