Author Topic: What is your least favorite keyboard  (Read 13732 times)

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
What is your least favorite keyboard
« on: Tue, 14 July 2009, 15:11:42 »
What is the keyboard, be it mechanical, scissor-switch, or rubber dome, that you just despised the most?

For me it is those stair-step wireless Mac keyboards. The one that looks like this:

I hated this one the most just because it was so unhelpful when typing, it was "clicky" but didn't have anywhere near a good feel to it.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline Mercen_505

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 July 2009, 15:13:23 »
I've got a cheap wireless BTC keyboard, and it's so crappy it misses every other keystroke unless I practically ram the key through the bottom of the board. It's got a really spiffy joystick at the top-right for mouse functionality, but other than that it's the worst keyboard I've ever used :(

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 July 2009, 16:02:16 »
Even though I don't own one, I would have to say the Apple Aluminium one. This was before I started my mechanical keyboard collection. I like my MacBook built-in keyboard so much that I was very excited when Apple announced the new keyboard. I was thinking about connecting a keyboard, a mouse and a monitor to my MacBook for more comfort. But when I tried it, it felt way different from the MacBook buit-in keyboard. It was one of the worst keyboard I've ever used. That being said, there are some people who like them for their form factor, fair enough.

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
    • http://www.megarat.com
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 July 2009, 16:11:35 »
This is similar to the "Worst Keyboard Ever" thread (found here), which I'm not sure can be continued, given the vBulletin upgrade.

Anyway, as then, my personal vote is for the keyboard for the Atari XEGS, effectively an Atari 8-bit computer disguised as a gaming system.  While fine for playing joystick-based games, the detachable keyboard on this critter makes people gasp in surprise.  It's like chewing on rubber.

Here it is in person:

Here it is in spirit:

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)
Gaming:  Wolfking Warrior with custom-colored layout, HHKB Lite 2 (Rubber dome)

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 July 2009, 16:47:59 »
The worst keyboard I ever bought was a budget Cherry one, back in the 80s. It missed keys, gave bounced keys, was totally unusable, even for a hunt and peck typist. I never touched another Cherry keyboard for 20+ years. Who would have thought a company would produce items at such extremes of the quality scale? They must have had to sell an awful lot of those crap boards to make up for the loss of sales (of the good boards) caused by the bad reputation they earned.

Offline justin

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 July 2009, 23:48:05 »
Quote from: timw4mail;102567
What is the keyboard, be it mechanical, scissor-switch, or rubber dome, that you just despised the most?

For me it is those stair-step wireless Mac keyboards. The one that looks like this:

Show Image

I hated this one the most just because it was so unhelpful when typing, it was "clicky" but didn't have anywhere near a good feel to it.
I agree. Unfortunately, that's the one on my desk right now...along with a broken Aluminum one. :-/ I only recently woke up to the world of high-quality mechanical keyboards, buying my 1st in a week or so, to remedy this problem.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 15 July 2009, 01:47:45 »
I still vote that Apple's keyboards since they dumped Alps switches just keep getting worse. I've a lot and I think the one that came with the bubble iMacs were the worst.

Offline DarthShrine

• http://blog.darthshrine.com
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 15 July 2009, 02:14:11 »
I haven't used many Apple keyboards (White iMac keyboard, aluminium keyboard and MacBook keyboards), but I have to say that the White iMac keyboards we used to have at school were terrible. The keys were sticky; they wouldn't press unless you were exactly perpendicular to the stem, and you had to push pretty hard to get them to actually register. Along with that, they sucked up so much grime that they weren't white for very long. The spacebars also often took a turn for the worse.
Das Keyboard Ultimate
IBM Model M 1391401 (born in 1990)
Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 15 July 2009, 02:49:33 »
Quote from: DarthShrine;102681
Along with that, they sucked up so much grime that they weren't white for very long.

You're right, I forgot about that. There was so much ugly under the white Apple keyboard I had, since they are clear, that I hated to even look at the bottom of it. Gross.

Offline Mercen_505

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 15 July 2009, 06:25:24 »
Speaking of Apple... that aluminum keyboard they put out somewhat recently... ugh. That thing is a total stinker. I spent ten minutes typing on it, and am thoroughly convinced it's one of the worst I've ever used. Style before substance, huh.

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 15 July 2009, 06:34:59 »
I think the least favorite in my collection as of now would be my Lite 2
KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN

Offline timw4mail

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 15 July 2009, 06:53:04 »
Quote from: Mercen_505;102693
Speaking of Apple... that aluminum keyboard they put out somewhat recently... ugh. That thing is a total stinker. I spent ten minutes typing on it, and am thoroughly convinced it's one of the worst I've ever used. Style before substance, huh.

I don't think its too bad for a scissor-switch, but compared to a decent mechanical board, it isn't anything impressive, true.
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 15 July 2009, 07:12:42 »
Not entirely sure why we have this thread when we already have a worst keyboard thread, but again, I'm going to throw in my vote for the DEC LK-201. Linear membrane switches, ick...

Offline rdh

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 15 July 2009, 08:04:35 »
Quote from: ch_123;102697
I'm going to throw in my vote for the DEC LK-201. Linear membrane switches, ick...

And no Escape key.

When I used to use DEC VT-240 terminals back in college, I could never remember the control-key combo to press to get Escape.   (I didn't become vi-dependent until later...)
at home: IBM "Space Saving" Model M
at work: Topre Realforce 87UKB55

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 15 July 2009, 12:24:25 »
Maybe this thread could be merged? And, you can reply to old threads.

Anyway, worst keyboard I've typed on would be a Magnavox Odyssey2, hands down, but that's a game console, not a computer. Worst computer keyboard that I've typed on would have to be the Mattel Aquarius. (I haven't typed on a ZX81 or an Atari 400.)

Offline timw4mail

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 15 July 2009, 13:35:45 »
When I started this thread, I neglected to search for an already existing thread, so that's my fault, I guess.

Offline cmr

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 15 July 2009, 14:07:24 »

just when i thought it couldn't get any worse, they cut off the number pad.

this is the worst keyboard.

Offline timw4mail

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 15 July 2009, 17:02:13 »
Wrong, as I will recant the Clear/White Apple Pro Keyboard as the worst. And nominate:
The flexible silicone keyboard:

Offline MsKeyboard

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 15 July 2009, 17:37:09 »
What about this one?

Actually, depending on your grooming habits, it could be "clicky"

Offline timw4mail

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 15 July 2009, 17:48:28 »
Quote from: MsKeyboard;102811
What about this one?

Show Image

lol, that's true. But yes, that probably is the worst keyboard in existence. I think the silicone fold-up keyboard is probably more common, though.

Offline Red October

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 15 July 2009, 23:08:02 »
My dad had a Timex Sinclair.  If you don't know what it is, imagine trying to type on a zuchini.  It is harder to do than that.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 15 July 2009, 23:41:53 »
Quote from: MsKeyboard;102811
What about this one?

Show Image

I don't know why people would want to use this. Imagine typing an essay with this...painful.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 15 July 2009, 23:43:36 »
My Enterprise 64 keyboard would probably send me mad now, but it seemed OK at the time. I still have it, must dig it out sometime.

Keep your trackpoints, this had a joystick!

(OK, I admit it, it just moved the text cursor.)

Offline timw4mail

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 16 July 2009, 06:36:23 »
Quote from: Rajagra;102839
My Enterprise 64 keyboard would probably send me mad now, but it seemed OK at the time. I still have it, must dig it out sometime.

Show Image

Keep your trackpoints, this had a joystick!

(OK, I admit it, it just moved the text cursor.)

Still better, I'm sure than the silicone rollup or the projected keyboards.

Offline bam88

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 16 July 2009, 07:17:11 »
silly backlighted rubberdomes "gaming" keyboards by logitech/razor/microsoft

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 16 July 2009, 07:54:33 »

The one on the bottom, a "Mechanical Touch" RSI special edition I believe. Worst keyboard ever.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 16 July 2009, 08:06:31 »
Ah yes, the infamous Ya-Sheng buckling springs... Shame that only Unicomp makes good ones.

Offline CX23882

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 16 July 2009, 08:10:50 »
The translucent keyboard on the iBook G3 is pretty bad. It feels bad to type on. The key action is mushy, the keys themselves are too flexible and the whole keyboard assembly flexes as you type on the thing. The key flexibility gets to me the most - the spacebar and return keys feel like I'm going to break them everytime I press them.

Then there's the layout. The cursor keys are just too small, and to add insult to injury, the page up/down keys share with the regular up/down. I would prefer to have usable cursor keys that are slightly stepped out from the rest of the keyboard than to have tiny half-height keys that are in-line.

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 16 July 2009, 08:50:33 »
Quote from: bam88;102857

don't forget saitek

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 16 July 2009, 09:53:56 »
Quote from: bam88;102857

Yep, the MS Sidewinder thing seems to be a pretty good candidate. It's reported to have pretty bad key blocking (in a gaming board no less), and apparently likes to develop stuck keys as well, all at a not-so-budget price that'll also get you a non-backlit but far more dependable Cherry G80 here.
(A crappy Speed-Link backlit board will give you the same problems at like one third the price. To the Sidewinder's credit, it be mentioned that it has bicolor LED backlighting and a detachable numpad, which add to the cost. But still what's that worth if it fails in basic function?)
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline timw4mail

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 16 July 2009, 11:47:04 »
Yeah, I'm about a quarter of my normal speed attempting to type on an ipod.

Offline timw4mail

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 16 July 2009, 11:52:00 »
Quote from: ripster;102883
The deaf guy is just awesome on his blackberry.  Keyboards of the future may be thumbs only.

I hope not, I'm slow enough with all ten fingers, with just my thumbs, I'm sure I'd be a lot slower.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 16 July 2009, 12:18:08 »
The thing is, despite the laser keyboard's epic suck, it has a frickin lazer. That alone makes it better than the silicone boards. :lol:

Offline timw4mail

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 16 July 2009, 12:24:29 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;102888
The thing is, despite the laser keyboard's epic suck, it has a frickin lazer. That alone makes it better than the silicone boards. :lol:

But they fold up...that's got to count for something ;)

Offline YpoCaramel

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 16 July 2009, 17:24:24 »
Quote from: ripster;102873
My iPod Touch.

Eh, the iPhone is one of the better ones already. Imagine input on a smaller resistive touchscreen on the Touch Diamond or similar ... *shiver*
Keyboards: IBM Model M M13, Filco Majestouch Tactile 104, PS3 Wireless Keypad, Logitech Dinovo mini
Other Input Devices In Use: Logitech G9, Razer Orochi, Fragnstein, MX Air, Orbita
Not on hand: Evoluent Vertical Mouse, Logitech G5, Razer Diamondback, Wacom Graphire 3

Offline shrap

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 16 July 2009, 17:34:30 »
Since we're talking about mobile devices, I'll nominate the Blackberry Storm. It requires you to press down on the screen (like a gigantic button), but it's also capacitive so it picks up incorrect output from the finger that isn't clicking the screen. It's like the worst of both worlds from the normal Blackberry button method (which forces you to press on a button) and the iPhone capacitive method (which forces you to move your fingers far away from the screen). I tried it at the Verizon store and got complete gibberish.

Offline timw4mail

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 16 July 2009, 18:44:02 »
Quote from: shrap;102960
Since we're talking about mobile devices, I'll nominate the Blackberry Storm. It requires you to press down on the screen (like a gigantic button), but it's also capacitive so it picks up incorrect output from the finger that isn't clicking the screen. It's like the worst of both worlds from the normal Blackberry button method (which forces you to press on a button) and the iPhone capacitive method (which forces you to move your fingers far away from the screen). I tried it at the Verizon store and got complete gibberish.

It's tactile fail.