Author Topic: Tiling window managers mmm  (Read 26109 times)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
Re: Tiling window managers mmm
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 19:44:48 »
My reasoning for i3wm (i3blocks bar) is that I find it less frustrating and irritating to write my own clickable indicators via bash scripts (weather/mounted media/package update count/VPN/music/silent timer) compared to downloading indicators for Gnome 3. It's way easier in my limited experience to fix a simple bash script if something outputs funky results than it is to figure out why a Gnome 3 indicator stops working.

Also, my daily desktop: a window manager; a display manager (sddm); a calendar (CLI); an email client (CLI); a music player (CLI); and an atom/rss reader (CLI); loads into ~400MBs worth of RAM. I'm running the desktop equivalent of a Dell Precision M4400 with 1GB of VRAM. Making due with minimal bits of kit. However, I can understand the benefits of less overhead for more modern systems. Virtualbox is nice but, KVM/QEMU with access to IOMMU groups would be fantasticly fast in an i3wm system.

I've more of less decided to stay with i3blocks for my i3wm bar. I've settled on the fact that my bar will always look like a static wireframe version of polybar and or lemonbar. It works. It's fine.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 22:11:01 »
lemonbar supports clickable sections.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 23:13:57 »
lemonbar supports clickable sections.

I can do the same with i3blocks as an i3wm bar substitute. Please pardon my scripting ignorance. I just started a few months ago. The trouble is why would I rework all of my bar dotfiles if I'm fine with the wireframe appearance of i3blocks?

here's the clickable part of my simple weather indicator:

Code: [Select]
if [[ -n $BLOCK_INSTANCE ]]; then
    password=("-h" "$BLOCK_INSTANCE@localhost")
fi

filter() {
    notify-send -u critical "$SUMMARY"
}

case $BLOCK_BUTTON in
    3) $password | filter ;;
esac

if [[ $NOALERT == $ALERTS ]]; then
    echo -e "$SYM$TEMP°C \ue22d$RAIN% \ue1c8$HUMIDITY% \ue0cd$KPA$KPAs \ue26d$MOON%"
else
    echo -e "<span color='#FF0000'>\ue077</span>$SYM$TEMP°C \ue22d$RAIN% \ue1c8$HUMIDITY% \ue0cd$KPA$KPAs \ue26d$MOON%"
        echo "$SUMMARY" | mutt -s "WEATHER ALERT" 5555555555@txt.att.net
fi

Offline riktors

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 15:10:48 »
After swapping around on several tilling managers settled on i3-gaps with polybar. Been pretty happy though I had to add some click functionality to a few of the plugins for polybar so I get to have the fun of compiling it myself for updates. Oh well

Offline MrMen

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 03 May 2018, 11:29:20 »
As a recent macOS user, and former arch Linux user, I can say that the biggest loss I have is my awesome wm config.

I spent hours on it, but it was absolutely perfect. I could switch back soon... All available alternative are only...

Offline iri

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 04:11:23 »
Can't use multiple monitors or even a single large one because of eye issues. Therefore, don't use a tiling WM.

I am welcome for my valuable input.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 05:09:17 »
As a recent macOS user, and former arch Linux user, I can say that the biggest loss I have is my awesome wm config.

I spent hours on it, but it was absolutely perfect. I could switch back soon... All available alternative are only...
gonna start configuring my own AwesomeWM setup soon, with absolutely zero knowledge of lua. wish me luck!

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 11:14:53 »
Can't use multiple monitors or even a single large one because of eye issues. Therefore, don't use a tiling WM.

Wouldn't a tiling WM be best for your situation? Maximizing screen real estate while logically grouping windows to reduce clutter and excessive alt-tab.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline iri

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 18:57:18 »
I ended up with full screening every application I use. I switch between programs using Tab+h/l. It's still 'Alt-Tabbing' of some sort, just a little bit more convenient.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 16:57:50 »

Wouldn't a tiling WM be best for your situation? Maximizing screen real estate while logically grouping windows to reduce clutter and excessive alt-tab.

ratpoison more likely.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 17:00:10 »
I've been using Xfce3 with i3 on my MBP. Having to use my trackpad is disrupting, and at work I keep wanting to use my keyboard shortcuts.  :confused:

Offline Hund

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 16:09:47 »
I'm also using i3, I wasn't happy with where wmfs was going so I switched to i3 about 4 years ago. So far I'm very happy with it. :)

https://framapic.org/8YNtklb9T3H6/gEYPKtOQZ23v.png
Change is not always progress.

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 16:21:24 »
I fail to see the attraction of i3. Although everyone and their dog seems to have used it at least one time, I find it quite annoying to configure.

After having tried too many of them (including bspwm), I have mostly settled with dwm these days. Mostly, because I can't keep myself from having, at least, a version of Window Maker available - you know, just in case... :)
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 17:05:43 »
Recently swapped i3wm out for bspwm because bspwm is a bit more modular. Now if I want to work on a bar script I don't have to restart my window manager to see the results.

Although I do miss the i3wm feature that automatically resizes windows in to vacant space when bars are toggled. If any bspwm users have a fix for that please ping me. I doubt that there is a universal fix.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #64 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 18:45:42 »
I used dwm while I was running Arch Linux on my laptop. Supposedly it works fine on a Mac, but I don't think I could tile actual Mac apps, just stuff for X. That's the cool thing about Linux, you can sit there tiling all your terminals, web browser, media player, whatever. Whereas I'm probably limited to terminals.

Offline Hund

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 15 November 2018, 20:42:24 »
I fail to see the attraction of i3. Although everyone and their dog seems to have used it at least one time, I find it quite annoying to configure.

After having tried too many of them (including bspwm), I have mostly settled with dwm these days. Mostly, because I can't keep myself from having, at least, a version of Window Maker available - you know, just in case... :)

It can do pretty much everything that most other tiling window managers only could do if they joined forces. And it does it without being bloat or resource heavy. :) Annoying to configure i3? Are you sure you didn't open Emacs or something? ;)
Change is not always progress.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 15 November 2018, 21:19:07 »

It can do pretty much everything that most other tiling window managers only could do if they joined forces. And it does it without being bloat or resource heavy. :) Annoying to configure i3? Are you sure you didn't open Emacs or something? ;)

Oh dang :))

• actually, this guy
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 16 November 2018, 01:06:24 »
I always open Emacs!
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 16 November 2018, 01:12:44 »
Emacs is one of the first things I open. Man, is my config bloated...

Offline impaktor

• Blog on emacs & keyboards
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 25 December 2018, 10:07:53 »
I use StumpWM, as it's the WM of choice for Emacs users. Written in Lisp, and follows the same philosophy as Emacs.

Can't recommend mouseless browsing enough. I use Conkeror, but there are others out there, e.g. "vimperator" for the Vim users.

• actually, this guy
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 25 December 2018, 10:25:11 »
Mouseless browsing is always a sacrifice, but so is carrying a mouse.

Offline impaktor

• Blog on emacs & keyboards
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 25 December 2018, 10:39:35 »
Mouseless browsing is always a sacrifice, but so is carrying a mouse.
Not if you use a browser made for it. I only need mouse on youtube to focus player.

Another new browser under much development is: https://github.com/atlas-engineer/next

(although we're straying from the topic of tiling window managers)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 25 December 2018, 11:33:45 »
Vimium-FF for firefox has some caveats but it's useable, and still maintained.