Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1307562 times)

Offline Roasty

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #350 on: Sun, 20 March 2011, 21:14:08 »
Quote from: ktkr;314776
Nice picture. AMB y2 sure is a fine piece of gear.

thanks! had mine built by MisterX as i'm hopeless in DIY.

Quote from: panda-R;314777
@roasty, thx for the impressions... i was saving up for the audio-gd NFB-10ES as peeps have been saying it pairs well with the HD650 but it's so hard to resist trying cheap options out there considering i already have a dac to boot.

Where did u get the Zu? i can't seem to find anything online.

So far the only audio-gd product i had a chance to try was the DAC-19 at my friend's house. just checked the price of the NFB-10ES, lol its $880 excluding roughly $100 in shipping costs..! for that budget, u have many amp options.. haha enjoy picking one out. go to a headphone meet and test a few before u decide! i tried a WooAudio 6SE and fell in love..

i got the Zu Mobius cable about 5-6 years ago. it may no longer be in production :( maybe check head-fi.org if anyone has it for sale second hand?

Offline strum4h

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #351 on: Sun, 20 March 2011, 23:41:58 »
I have Audiotechnica ATH-700's and they are fantastic. I want to try out a pair of grados though I am looking to get some new ones.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Filco Tenkeyless with Browns  - SIIG minitouch GHSS

Offline Half-Saint

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #352 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 04:46:57 »
Just picked up brand new Sony MDR-RF810RK. Batteries finnished charging up this morning so I'll finally be able to test them. I just wish they included a carrying case with the headphones.
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
Headphone Thread.
« Reply #353 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 08:51:30 »
Quote from: Half-Saint;315151
Just picked up brand new Sony MDR-RF810RK. Batteries finnished charging up this morning so I'll finally be able to test them. I just wish they included a carrying case with the headphones.
As long as you're aware that wireless cans like that are mainly geared towards TV watching and that those in particular need pretty high output levels from the source if the transmitter is not to turn off automatically, they should be OK.
Quote from: panda-R;314777
@roasty, thx for the impressions... i was saving up for the audio-gd NFB-10ES as peeps have been saying it pairs well with the HD650 but it's so hard to resist trying cheap options out there considering i already have a dac to boot.

Where did u get the Zu? i can't seem to find anything online.
In terms of audio, you could do no worse than relying on word of mouth. On Head-Fi, anything can be FOTM. Fact is, a HD650 is not a very difficult load. Also, the Audio-gd amps may be fancy and sport a high parts count, but I'm afraid they're not particularly good amplifiers (not untypically for Chinese audiophile gear, it seems). Unless you consider competing with a smartphone impressive, that is.

Fancy upgrade cables are pretty much audiophile snake oil. The HD650's stock one is perfectly fine.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 March 2011, 09:06:16 by keyb_gr »
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline Roasty

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #354 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 09:35:29 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;315194

Fancy upgrade cables are pretty much audiophile snake oil. The HD650's stock one is perfectly fine.

i still have my stock HD650 cable. switching between it and the Zu cable, they definitely sound different. go figure.

to each their own i guess.

Offline panda-R

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #355 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 10:50:59 »

In terms of audio, you could do no worse than relying on word of mouth. On Head-Fi, anything can be FOTM.

tehehe but i guess that applies also to your opinions also? :D

Don't worry I only ask peoples opinion to see what they think, in the end I almost always choose something else regardless of positive or negative opinion.
DO YOU FEEL THE BEAT? I DO.
One Keyboard to DOOM them all, REALFORCE.

Offline Half-Saint

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #356 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 11:56:53 »
As long as you're aware that wireless cans like that are mainly geared towards TV watching and that those in particular need pretty high output levels from the source if the transmitter is not to turn off automatically, they should be OK.

Hrm, I actually bought them so I could use them with the PC. Tested them shortly on my SONY KDL-EX500 and the sound was fine but I did have to crank up the volume to 30-ish on the TV. I have yet to listen to some music.
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline panda-R

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #357 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 12:05:03 »
Quote from: ripster;315268
Bwahahahaha!  I made you buy a HD595!!!!!

If I knew you were such a basshead I would have told you to have your ear canals surgically enlarged!

dood i am not da huge basshead but da 595's are a little on the lean side. Besides, i'm moar into boobs than bass.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 March 2011, 16:22:26 by panda-R »

Offline panda-R

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #358 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 16:58:03 »
I FEEL THE BEAT!

Offline Half-Saint

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #359 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 01:16:28 »
Sony MDF-RF810RK and Wi-Fi don't go well together. The wifi router is right next to my monitor and I played some Team Fortress 2 but I could hear this constant annoying beating sound that goes 'tup-tup-tup-tup' in the background. It goes away, if I turn off the router. I tried changing channels on the router and the headphones to no avail. The annoying sound remains even, if I turn off the Sony RF transmitter. Stupid.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 March 2011, 01:20:48 by Half-Saint »

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline nmd

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #360 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 08:02:44 »
Quote from: panda-R;316236
I FEEL THE BEAT!

Show Image

So jealous.

Offline panda-R

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #361 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 09:13:39 »
Quote from: nmd;316647
So jealous.

it's like having an orgasm in your ears... oh wait that doesn't sound too good.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
Headphone Thread.
« Reply #362 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 16:00:35 »
Quote from: panda-R;316687
it's like having an orgasm in your ears... oh wait that doesn't sound too good.
In fact, they do call this "eargasm".

I used to have a HD650, but it was the older, reportedly darker-sounding version (pre-~2007). And dark-sounding this one was - its sonic signature clashed heavily with my monitor speakers. Pretty clampy, too. Ultimately I went back to a well-worn HD580, which proved a lot easier to adjust to (and more comfy to boot, especially with the DIY headband padding).

I later sold the '650s, at which point it turned out that they must have been from some production lot that had lacquer problems - the stuff partly peeled off en route to the buyer. Both parties weren't amused.

HD595s bass-light? Must have been the older, "bass-shy" 50 ohm version.
Quote from: Half-Saint;316548
Sony MDF-RF810RK and Wi-Fi don't go well together. The wifi router is right next to my monitor and I played some Team Fortress 2 but I could hear this constant annoying beating sound that goes 'tup-tup-tup-tup' in the background. It goes away, if I turn off the router. I tried changing channels on the router and the headphones to no avail. The annoying sound remains even, if I turn off the Sony RF transmitter. Stupid.
Looks like the 2.4 GHz radiation is getting into the Sony's 863 MHz receiver somehow and made audible by the FM discriminator. Maybe frontend filtering isn't too great, or some amplifier is acting as an RF demodulator here. (I certainly wouldn't expect any miracles from €30 wireless cans.)

I have an old pocket radio - all through-hole - where some part in the FM receiver seems susceptible to GSM radiation. A somewhat newer model shows a lot less, but it took a leap into the surface mount era to eliminate this almost completely.

What do you need a wireless set for anyway if you're right at the computer? It'll just sound needlessly bad.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 March 2011, 16:04:47 by keyb_gr »
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline panda-R

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #363 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 16:04:32 »
So far I have thoroughly enjoyed my HD650's despite their thick and voluptuous dark sound.  Now the question that remains is if I should be happy with these or continue my quest for audio Nirvana?

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
Headphone Thread.
« Reply #364 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 16:24:37 »
Purely on a technical level, it doesn't get much better than these any more, just different - which, of course, you might prefer. Heck, there are enough people swearing by Grados, in spite of rather modest measured performance (or maybe because of it, as it tends to emphasize their sonic characteristics - I'd call them "guitar amp wideband speaker simulator").

I'd say before contracting upgraditis again, better look at the "software" side. How much music do you have, and how much of it do you listen to on any kind of regular basis?

Offline nmd

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #365 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 16:32:07 »
Curiously, what would you recommend for headphones intended to be used heavily(6-8 hours)? Preferably closed but open is fine too.

Stipulation: roughly $100(on sale :P) and must be stupidly comfortable. Thinking ath-ad700.

Offline panda-R

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #366 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 16:32:37 »
I have my regular rotation and most people would say go for grados but I am not convinced that the grados would be anything special. I may try some one day. I hope my LOVELY CUBE will scratch some of this itch I've had lately.

Offline panda-R

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #367 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 16:35:18 »
Quote from: nmd;317094
Curiously, what would you recommend for headphones intended to be used heavily(6-8 hours)? Preferably closed but open is fine too.

Stipulation: roughly $100(on sale :P) and must be stupidly comfortable. Thinking ath-ad700.

do you want to feel the beat like I do? If so you may want to stray away from some of the AT's... I found my ATH-A900Ti's to be slightly on the lean side.

Offline Roasty

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #368 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 21:20:53 »
Quote from: panda-R;317058
So far I have thoroughly enjoyed my HD650's despite their thick and voluptuous dark sound.  Now the question that remains is if I should be happy with these or continue my quest for audio Nirvana?

i've bought and sold off a few headphones over the years, but the only headphone i've kept all this while was the Senn HD650 (also my first serious headphone purchase). it is the thick and voluptuous sound that always draws me back to it.

my only gripe with the hd650 is i find it localizes sound very well to the lateral regions, but is poor in imaging the sound from a front / diagonal perspective.

i keep the ms2i for good measure. after periods of listening with the ms2i, on switching back to the hd650, i always enjoy the full bodied sound and luscious vocals.

i've yet to try the HD800..

Offline panda-R

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #369 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 22:03:22 »
@roasty... mmmm voluptuous. You're right about the imaging towards the front, I found it a little shallow in that direction compared to my HD595's but it makes up for it in like everything else.

@ripster, the HD595's sound almost perfect with a sub playing along with it. Oh and they're way more comfy than the HD650's!

Offline panda-R

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #370 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 23:18:12 »
MY FACE feels like imploding with the HD650's. Is this a good reason to buy another set of headphones?

Offline DeltaGunner

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #371 on: Thu, 24 March 2011, 01:28:13 »
I have a Reloop RHP-10 Cherryblack with a RHM-10 mic attached. (Will post pics later).
Only downside is its stereo so im gonna go for a CM Storm Sirus which i have tested on CeBIT. The Sirus is real 5.1 with USB considering that i dont have a Sound Card that is kinda necessary.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Keyboards:
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate
Wishlist:
DAS Ultimate Model S Ultimate Silent, or atleast some other Cherry Brown
Mice:
Logitech Trackball
Logitech Trackman Wheel
CM Storm Sentinel Advance 5.600 DPI
Switches:
Blue
Want to try:
Black, Brown, Red and BS

Offline panda-R

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #372 on: Thu, 24 March 2011, 01:42:39 »
Quote from: ripster;317451
I thought I heard you coming.

Ewww............

DOOD CMON, i'm not that loud. You make me sound like a Rhino giving birth.

Offline Exoverture

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #373 on: Thu, 24 March 2011, 03:04:22 »
After exploring the Sennheiser front (HD555 all the way to HD800's)... I can safely say they are not really my thing. They are a joy for classical though.

I have since down scaled my whole setup (too much $$$... awfully expensive hobby lol). I've been perfectly content with this for the last 10 months or so: Maverick D1 Tube Magic & DT990PRO 250ohm.

I was really missing that kick with the Senns. Even with questionably expensive DAC/Amps... so I decided to move to the DT990.

Very much a joy to listen to... and only for ~$460!
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 March 2011, 03:06:23 by Exoverture »

woody

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #374 on: Thu, 24 March 2011, 03:51:24 »
Quote from: Julle;317475
That's actually modelled after a 4D ultrasound image of a fetus.

Why so sirius, Fetus?

Offline panda-R

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #375 on: Thu, 24 March 2011, 10:08:20 »
TUBES make da crunch awesoune though, like captain crunch.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
Headphone Thread.
« Reply #376 on: Thu, 24 March 2011, 11:20:34 »
Quote from: nmd;317094
You generally don't want to use closed cans for 6..8 hours in a row. Comfy open ones ftw.
There's not that much choice in this price region. Either those, or some HD555s ($85 at Amazon).
AD700s are a little on the lean side...

(do note that the HD555s shown here are not the "bass-light" version)
...but should be a whole lot less fussy about output impedance.

Quote from: ripster;317653
I always thought Tubes compressed the frequencies too much (because they do).

Oh, you certainly can build good amps with 'em, as long as you don't mind big, heavy, power hungry and expensive. Like this. The same applies to receivers.

Did you know that the still-common EF95 (/6AK5, RF pentode) essentially is a repackaged RV12P2000, as used way back when in the Telefunken E-52 "Köln" (the only tube type in that one, btw)?
Tubes are the Topres of HeadFi.
More like Logitech G series boards. Bling outside, meh inside.
OK for guitar amps though.  Guitars live in the midrange with lots of dirty signals.
Overdriving properties are another story entirely. Tubes tend to be well-behaved here, with none of the "lock-up" issues that can take semiconductor-based amplifiers a while to recover after they hit supplies (let alone inversion, as encountered with some opamps).
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 March 2011, 11:47:49 by keyb_gr »

Offline panda-R

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #377 on: Thu, 24 March 2011, 12:08:01 »
i like keyb_gr! He's very technical and handsome.

Offline panda-R

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #378 on: Thu, 24 March 2011, 12:22:39 »
dood nah, i just get them to give me da 115v transformer of DOOM!

plus all those cheap chinese tube amps are so cheap because they're inexpensive also known as cheap.

Offline panda-R

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #379 on: Thu, 24 March 2011, 12:35:58 »
Quote from: ripster;317772

Long Live CHAIRMAN MAO!  

chairman mao is my uncle. He left me the entire north east of china in his will. Do you think I should get a tube amp for my HD650's?

Offline DejaHu

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #380 on: Tue, 29 March 2011, 20:42:09 »
I also have AD-700s plugged into a mixamp.  Only difference is my headphones are modded with a detachable Boom Mic.  Custom cabling for mic support and new paint scheme as well.    

Offline DejaHu

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #381 on: Tue, 29 March 2011, 20:48:59 »
anyone who has sennheiser 555s, the best trick ever:   http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/40761-buy-sennheiser-555s-turn-them-into-595s.html      All you do is open the ear cup and take out the foam, voila, you have senn 595s.

Offline suntorytime

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #382 on: Tue, 29 March 2011, 21:24:23 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;317718
You generally don't want to use closed cans for 6..8 hours in a row. Comfy open ones ftw.

I don't know, I find my Beyerdynamics DT770 Pro really comfortable, they are almost as comfortable as my RIP Sony MDR-F1's.

Offline DejaHu

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #383 on: Tue, 29 March 2011, 21:52:26 »
https://picasaweb.google.com/ThompsonRyan  Different models require different steps.  Really is never the same process each time.

Offline kidchunks

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #384 on: Wed, 30 March 2011, 07:35:47 »
Anyone use the AD700 for work? I know they are open air cans but does the sound escape as bad as the hd555s?
Topre || BS > *
my root : kidchunks[dot]com

Offline DejaHu

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #385 on: Wed, 30 March 2011, 08:12:53 »
they sound as bad as all open air headphones will.  One isn't going to be amazingly better.  I believe the ad900 are closed

Offline suntorytime

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #386 on: Wed, 30 March 2011, 08:52:04 »
Quote from: DejaHu;321144
https://picasaweb.google.com/ThompsonRyan  Different models require different steps.  Really is never the same process each time.

Looks like you commission the mods. How much do you normally charge for a job such as that? They all look great.

Offline DejaHu

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #387 on: Wed, 30 March 2011, 09:00:19 »
it used to be $50 up front and you supply the headphones.  That ended up being a terrible idea b/c of the kind of work that goes into each.  So now when you want to buy a new set of headphones, yours will already be pre-modded.  You just pay a fixed rate depending on the cans you choose.  Just call ahead and say what color scheme you want.

Offline DejaHu

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #388 on: Wed, 30 March 2011, 09:17:00 »

Offline kidchunks

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #389 on: Wed, 30 March 2011, 16:18:00 »
Quote from: DejaHu;321314
they sound as bad as all open air headphones will.  One isn't going to be amazingly better.  I believe the ad900 are closed

Think you meant the a900s?
Topre || BS > *
my root : kidchunks[dot]com

Offline NimbleRabit

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #390 on: Wed, 30 March 2011, 21:50:08 »
Some of the AD700's on that site look absolutely stunning.  I want to do the same kind of thing to mine - kind of makes me wish I knew anything about audio or modding at all.  I wonder if it's worth ruining my headphones . . .

Does anybody know of some guides or someplace I can read to get started trying to do something like that to my ad700?
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 March 2011, 21:52:24 by NimbleRabit »

Offline Half-Saint

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #391 on: Thu, 31 March 2011, 03:12:42 »

I'm sending them back - pissing me off! They're useless for listening to the music on my laptop as the sound is screwed up. This is best described as 'huge variations in pressure within my ear, where there should be none'. It's annoying and I couldn't feel this with my other cans. RF interference is an added minus.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline panda-R

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #392 on: Thu, 07 April 2011, 00:52:33 »
I love headphones!

Offline didjamatic

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #393 on: Thu, 07 April 2011, 09:02:57 »
Quote from: ripster;321349
I was looking for the two pin ones.

Lemo connectors/plugs might work for you and some are on ebay.  I believe that is what is used on my VPI turntable.  It's a 4 pin but they also make 2 pin versions.  

IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline panda-R

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #394 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 23:31:07 »
This thread needs reviving.

I find I like the DT880/600s when I haven't listened to my HD650s for awhile.

Offline panda-R

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #395 on: Wed, 20 April 2011, 11:18:52 »
Quote from: ripster;333998
They'll sound even better back in the box!

you're so mean to the DT880s, what have they ever done to you!

Offline didjamatic

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #396 on: Wed, 20 April 2011, 13:56:16 »
She's missing 3 buttons.  Probably stolen while sleeping on the subway.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
Headphone Thread.
« Reply #397 on: Wed, 20 April 2011, 15:56:44 »
Quote from: panda-R;333978
I find I like the DT880/600s when I haven't listened to my HD650s for awhile.
Which is understandable, given the difference in highs (and, to a lesser degree, bass).

Interesting how they track pretty well within the mids.

Offline strum4h

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #398 on: Wed, 20 April 2011, 16:23:52 »
How much did those cans cost
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Filco Tenkeyless with Browns  - SIIG minitouch GHSS

Offline panda-R

Headphone Thread.
« Reply #399 on: Wed, 20 April 2011, 16:45:27 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;334404
Which is understandable, given the difference in highs (and, to a lesser degree, bass).
Show Image

Interesting how they track pretty well within the mids.

They're similar but the soundstaging makes the DT880 sound less involving for me. Also the HD650 has noticeably better mids than that graph would lead to believe. The treble is spot on.

Quote from: strum4h;334426
How much did those cans cost

$269 from amazon! I heard it it can get to $249 but I didn't want to wait.