Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1307570 times)

Offline PadawanGeek

Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #4700 on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 21:50:37 »
Just got another pair of headphone after a lengthy hiatus (for me anyway), it's an ENIGMAcoustics Dharma D1000. Each cup has a hybrid electret + dynamic driver configuration. So far, initial impression is that it has a pretty wide soundstage, cannot match the HD800 but similar to the AKG K812, with sparkly treble and nice mid bass slam (far from basshead level though), certainly more enjoyable than the HD800 for Pop songs since it does have a pretty nice presence.

I've been waiting patiently for one to become available in the local Garage section of the local forums, when this beaut turned up for about 660USD, I was all over it like a bad rash. :D

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4701 on: Wed, 29 August 2018, 09:29:38 »
im back in the market for some TOTL ciems possibly :)))
I love Elzy

Offline kinglukas38

• Do you even tactile?
« Reply #4702 on: Wed, 12 September 2018, 15:30:28 »
my ciems after 2 years of constant use and borderline abuse

I've never done it before, but I'm pretty sure I'm good at it

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4703 on: Wed, 12 September 2018, 15:32:54 »

Show Image

nice im getting new ones soon going to shanghai for headphone festival in november.

my right connector on my nobles is loose :\
I love Elzy

Offline kinglukas38

• Do you even tactile?
« Reply #4704 on: Wed, 12 September 2018, 15:37:35 »

Show Image

nice im getting new ones soon going to shanghai for headphone festival in november.

my right connector on my nobles is loose :\

that sucks :/
fortunately when these get damaged, and they have been multiple times, its a stones throw away to Minneapolis area for repair 
I've never done it before, but I'm pretty sure I'm good at it

Offline Sniping

« Reply #4705 on: Wed, 12 September 2018, 16:46:45 »
I don't have CIEM's but I had two pairs of UE Triple Fi 10's that both eventually broke on me. I went through over 5 cables between the two pairs of IEM's and eventually the shell started breaking on me and the cable connector on the IEM. After having so many mishaps I've downgraded to KZ IEM's, which aren't as good but for $20 balanced armatures I think it recreates the sound I was used to hearing with my old IEM's and I'm pretty happy with my purchase

Offline rockosmodlife

• ok yes but
« Reply #4706 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 14:26:08 »
I use a pair of Sennheiser HD 598's in black. Really love the sound and the comfort.
Vortex Pure MX Blues

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4707 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 20:56:58 »
Managed to snag a used HD600 at about 110USD, the headband cushion/pad needed to be replaced (already did in my pic). The best part is, the can is in near mint condition and sounds terrific.....now I get why it is so loved in the audio community.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4708 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 21:14:28 »
Managed to snag a used HD600 at about 110USD, the headband cushion/pad needed to be replaced (already did in my pic). The best part is, the can is in near mint condition and sounds terrific.....now I get why it is so loved in the audio community.
Show Image

i mean, if YOU're saying they're good they must be pretty good
I love Elzy

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #4709 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 21:17:36 »
Show Image

I have never like the sound of Sennheiser cans...but then again that is my opinion. Those look really nice though.

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #4710 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 01:09:13 »
Just got my Audeze Mobius in, first very early impression is good & comfy, but I'll have to do some extended listening in various scenarios. Haven't had much time after an after-work pub crawl yesterday. I do love how the cover of the manual is an homage to the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy :D

Offline dvdasa

« Reply #4711 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 06:30:53 »
I have never like the sound of Sennheiser cans...but then again that is my opinion. Those look really nice though.

What is your taste? Sennheiser is damn nice.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4712 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 09:33:45 »

i mean, if YOU're saying they're good they must be pretty good
I think they're great, like the HD6XX which is a tad warmer with perhaps a little, a smidgen really, more bass. But then, our preference is so colored by our own personal taste and hearing....the old saying's so true when it comes to audio, "One man's meat is another man's poison".

See? Case in point....I'm curious though, what is your sound preference?

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #4713 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 11:52:08 »

I prefer as neutral as possible and a larger sound stage. Just bought the HiFiMan HE4XX so will see how those sound.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4714 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 13:51:45 »

I prefer as neutral as possible and a larger sound stage. Just bought the HiFiMan HE4XX so will see how those sound.

I would say Sennheiser is always On Point and Reference focused..

The other guys are more sound Colorists..  They like to sell the term _Warm_, and _Transparent_

Offline rioc

« Reply #4715 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 14:02:14 »

HE4XX is an awesome value for money. Will be giving mine to a friend now though, show him what good sounds like ;)

Offline rioc

« Reply #4716 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 14:04:05 »

What is your taste? Sennheiser is damn nice.
Sennheiser is great... I love my HD700 trebble canons (allthough now I've got the mobius I won't be using them for gaming as much anymore, but for classical music etc. (or on my ePiano)). Can't wait for Dekoni to finally release the custom pads for them.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #4717 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 14:56:52 »
Sennheiser is great... I love my HD700 trebble canons (allthough now I've got the mobius I won't be using them for gaming as much anymore, but for classical music etc. (or on my ePiano)). Can't wait for Dekoni to finally release the custom pads for them.

I have seen three camps for Sennheiser, I am in the "Don't like and won't buy, but won't give hate" camp. I have just never liked the sounds for the ones I have listened to(also can't remember which ones at this point I have, too many numbers to remember lol), If you like them then good for you, have fun with listening to them because that is all that matters in the end. I have heard electrostatics that didn't even do it for me because the cost doesn't really justify the sound, but the guy who had them loved them to death, I just didn't see any gain in clarity that was truly worth the cost.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4718 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 21:24:03 »
I have seen three camps for Sennheiser, I am in the "Don't like and won't buy, but won't give hate" camp. I have just never liked the sounds for the ones I have listened to(also can't remember which ones at this point I have, too many numbers to remember lol), If you like them then good for you, have fun with listening to them because that is all that matters in the end. I have heard electrostatics that didn't even do it for me because the cost doesn't really justify the sound, but the guy who had them loved them to death, I just didn't see any gain in clarity that was truly worth the cost.
Likewise, I don't hate on other other can makers as well, hell I have cans from Audio Technica (ATH-A900X LTD, ATH-R70X, ATH-AD700X), HiFiMan (HE1000, HE560, HE4, HE4XX), Denon (AH-D7000, AH-D2000), AKG (K812)....in fact, I have way too many cans and I've decided to sell some of my lower end cans. I get that you want a neutral'ish cans, but just about all cans are colored since a truly neutral can would sound......boring, wouldn't it?

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #4719 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 23:07:21 »
I get that you want a neutral'ish cans, but just about all cans are colored since a truly neutral can would sound......boring, wouldn't it?

Neutral wouldn't be boring, it would be the best representation to what the audio should be, it would be like listening to it in person rather than through headphones. Is it possible to be truly neutral, no but that is my preference to be as close to that as I can get on a lowish budget, which is hard but I really hope the HE4XX's sound as good as I have heard they are.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4720 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 01:02:55 »
ur confusing neutral with natural.
I love Elzy

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #4721 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 01:25:26 »

Not really, neutral would describe headphones that don't favor any frequency range in particular and therefore have a flat response. Natural may also describe the same thing, but it doesn't mean what I said is wrong.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4722 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 01:39:26 »

Not really, neutral would describe headphones that don't favor any frequency range in particular and therefore have a flat response. Natural may also describe the same thing, but it doesn't mean what I said is wrong.
I dunno, I do agree with Sifo that there's a difference between 'neutral' and 'natural'.....I've never studied the audio field, but I don't think a completely neutral headphone would necessarily sound natural.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4723 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 02:42:45 »
Can't get more natural than wood yet the JVC FX woodies area anything but neutral :))

In other related news I found some pads for my old Ultrasone Pro 750, after years of looking they're back on the official Ultrasone site so after two attempted orders to get one through intact they'll be here in a couple of days and no import tax.  Expecting the package and pads to arrive ripped, such is my luck lately.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Carcharocles

• Location: In the lonely, desolate wasteland of South Kansas City
    • The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #4724 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 22:13:00 »
Found a pair of Samson SR850 headphones on Amazon (new, sold by Amazon themselves--yes, I know they too sometimes have fakes, but eh) for about 30 bucks. Since my mom basically stole my MDR-V6's (themselves replacing a pair of M40x's that were broken when a thief tried to steal them), and because I found the grain on the highs irritating, I was hoping I could get these in a couple of months rather than get her a pair to get the V6's back. Open back apparently tends to have better sound stage (only open back phones I've ever owned are the Koss Sport-A-Pros, which I can't stand since I got better cans), which I know will be a plus, but I hope I'm not sacrificing too much sound quality for the price...

Hoping the v-shaped sound profile isn't too severe. Everywhere I've read, they've been described as having a "slight" one. I mean, I know the V6 isn't particularly flat, so I'm not too worried about that.

Any thoughts, or better recommendations? January 1st I'll be getting a pretty decent pay increase, but I'll also be paying about 38 dollars more a month in rent... which is 340 right now after housing voucher deductions (I make 750 bucks a month, but will be making 775 or so on the first; the complex is raising rent--which typically I end up eating the difference for a few months before the housing authority works it out---and I'll be needing to start paying an additional 8 bucks a month for liability insurance due to changes in the lease starting December 1st, so...)
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 October 2018, 22:35:36 by Carcharocles »
T1000 , Firmware ver. Doge.

Most deadly of them all.
Keyboards: Drevo Gramr (Outemu Browns); Logitech K480

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #4725 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 22:48:11 »
Found a pair of Samson SR850 headphones on Amazon (new, sold by Amazon themselves--yes, I know they too sometimes have fakes, but eh) for about 30 bucks. Since my mom basically stole my MDR-V6's (themselves replacing a pair of M40x's that were broken when a thief tried to steal them), and because I found the grain on the highs irritating, I was hoping I could get these in a couple of months rather than get her a pair to get the V6's back. Open back apparently tends to have better sound stage (only open back phones I've ever owned are the Koss Sport-A-Pros, which I can't stand since I got better cans), which I know will be a plus, but I hope I'm not sacrificing too much sound quality for the price...

Hoping the v-shaped sound profile isn't too severe. Everywhere I've read, they've been described as having a "slight" one. I mean, I know the V6 isn't particularly flat, so I'm not too worried about that.

Any thoughts, or better recommendations? January 1st I'll be getting a pretty decent pay increase, but I'll also be paying about 38 dollars more a month in rent... which is 340 right now after housing voucher deductions (I make 750 bucks a month, but will be making 775 or so on the first; the complex is raising rent--which typically I end up eating the difference for a few months before the housing authority works it out---and I'll be needing to start paying an additional 8 bucks a month for liability insurance due to changes in the lease starting December 1st, so...)

I had the Superlux HD668B's for a long time (Same thing as the SR850's) and They are known to have sibilant highs, but if you get velour pads they sound really good for what they are. Honestly loved them because they were amazing for how cheap they are. Upgraded to the HiFiMan HE-4XX after the HD668B's broke for the second time.

Offline Carcharocles

• The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #4726 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 22:53:57 »
I know the Beyerdynamic velour pads were nice. I had them on my first pair of V6's, then the 7506's I got after our then-young & naive kitty Avery got tangled in them, freaked out, ripped them apart trying to get free and they had to be replaced, then the M40x's I got after when my mom had a seizure while borrowing the 7506's and accidentally ran them over with her wheelchair, and then the new V6's when my mom defended the M40x's from a thief who managed to break them but didn't get away with them. Unfortunately, the pads didn't last long on the newest pair of V6's, because of all the abuse they went through over 4 different headsets... I think I'll add them to my list haha. I loved those things.

Yeah, I guess you might see why I'm attracted to the reduced price.

Most deadly of them all.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #4727 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 23:00:03 »
Yeah, I guess you might see why I'm attracted to the reduced price.

Honestly have debated about buying another pair just to have around because I did like them. And for the longest time I didn't want to spend the money on good ones because I was in college and had no income.

Offline Carcharocles

• The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #4728 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 23:29:21 »
I'm honestly lucky if I have 90 dollars for the whole month left over after bills, groceries and whatnot. As I mentioned, I make only 750 dollars a month, and rent seems to rise every year (although the housing authority eventually steps in to level out the cost). To top it off, our local power company--KCP&L--changed how they figure budget billing, which means rather than a stable constant price, I now get to look forward to a brand new one pulled out of their rear every 3 months. Past three months it was 207 a month. The next 3 months will be 185. I'm using about 127 dollars worth of power a month, but due to how they constantly adjust the price people not on budget billing pay, I would have to pay a one time fee of 360 dollars to get off of budget billing and not have my power shut off. Headphones higher in quality than the V6 are out of the question, as are the V6/7506 and M40x themselves if they aren't on sale for about 30 - 40 dollars off. So combined with the tendency for things to break and the lack of income, the SR850 is the most I'm willing to shell out for, and right now the best I (sadly) can afford. :(

Will be grabbing a pair of BRAINWAVZ XL velour pads when I do get them though. That will either be as a gift during Christmas, or in January when I'll very briefly have about 100 dollars left over after everything. I hope they're as good as the Beyerdynamics I had, because apparently the Brainwavz are the only ones I can find that will fit the SR850.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 October 2018, 23:31:13 by Carcharocles »

Most deadly of them all.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4729 on: Wed, 07 November 2018, 16:32:31 »
hell yeah

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4730 on: Wed, 07 November 2018, 20:26:24 »
canjam was dope. still no idea what I wanna get but trying everything was fun
I love Elzy

Offline ra7c7er

« Reply #4731 on: Sat, 10 November 2018, 08:06:08 »
Heil Pro-Set 3

I didn't think I would like broadcast headphones but WOW they are great and I can confuse the ears off of anyone by playing with the phase switch when someone wants to listen with them.

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
« Reply #4732 on: Sat, 10 November 2018, 12:34:23 »
I love my Beyerdynamic DT-770. I wanted to save money to get myself a DT-990 as well (those sound awesome), but I only have two ears and one head...
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline Flame

« Reply #4733 on: Sat, 10 November 2018, 21:28:35 »
Definitely not audiophile-grade or the best headphones, but I'm rocking my Bose QC 35s. The noise canceling and optional wireless is pretty nice.
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 November 2018, 21:30:06 by Flame »

Offline Lepr3chaun

« Reply #4734 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 09:36:08 »
Definitely not audiophile-grade or the best headphones, but I'm rocking my Bose QC 35s. The noise canceling and optional wireless is pretty nice.
Show Image

I have and use the QC 35 IIs quite a bit. Like you said not audiophile quality but love them for travel or at work if I need to block things out.

Offline Carcharocles

• The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #4735 on: Thu, 27 December 2018, 18:02:46 »
Don't have pictures (yet) but I got a pair of Samson SR850's for Christmas. Not the best I've heard so far (those are the M40x's I got on sale years ago) but definitely fantastic bang for buck. I think I like their sound signature more than the MDR-V6; I've given my pair of those to my mom, who loves their sound quality.

Most deadly of them all.