Author Topic: Another newbie from Japan!  (Read 1404 times)

Offline murasaki

• Formerly 'jota'
    • Mollecue Design
Another newbie from Japan!
« on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 05:35:27 »
Hi everyone (and their keyboards)! ;D

Just discovered this world of keyboard a few months back, and since then, I found myself spending my whole free time watching different MK youtube videos, reading some MK blogs, and browsing threads on this forum! I simply amazed how this simple and basic day-to-day gadget can go so deep, and I am even ashamed of myself not paying any attention to my keyboards, using them every single day for so many years!
Though I have no background in electronics whatsoever, I'm thinking this is a great chance and a super fun way to study the new area!

Thanks for having me in this community! I can't wait to build my very first keyboard!
Arigato!  :D

Offline sharktastica

• CompSci research student, IBMer, r/ModelM mod
    • Admiral Shark's Keyboards
Re: Another newbie from Japan!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 09:15:51 »
Welcome!

Got any ideas of what keyboards, form-factors and switches you're going to try out?

Offline murasaki

• Formerly 'jota'
    • Mollecue Design
Re: Another newbie from Japan!
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 05:31:16 »
Thanks for your warm welcome!
I am thinking of starting with something small - maybe a macro 2x2 keypad + rotary encoders, and then slowly walk the way up to bigger size keyboards with more experience and confidence. I also own a cheap 3d printer at home, so a I was thinking 3d printed keyboard like SiCK68 would be a cool and budget friendly project for a newbie like me!
For switches, I did a quite bit of a research and decided to go with BOX JADE for my MK debut. They arrived a few days ago, and I'm in love with their sound! I decided to go with clicky because I wanted to have solid feedbacks when I type.
I also ordered outemu silent grey (they're freakin' cheap! Less than 20cents a piece), and I'm waiting for their arrival. Just searching and studying about different switches bring me so much joy, and I think I will order a big switch tester soon.