Author Topic: DT990 - Cable Replacement: Help :(  (Read 12671 times)

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
DT990 - Cable Replacement: Help :(
« on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 14:08:06 »
So I have let my DT990s chill on my stand for a little while. The cord going to the back of my desk.

Little did I know, my cat was highly offended and thought the best course of action was to maul it to death.

Evidence:

151444-0

151446-1

So my question:

What is the best way to fix this. I was not a fan of the coiled cable to begin with. Maybe my cat sensed this and thought it had to go. I really like those detachable cable mods, but I am way to scared to try.

Does anyone know a site that I could possibly buy a replacement or a site that does mods?

Thanks!!

Culprit:

151448-2

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
Re: DT990 - Cable Replacement: Help :(
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 14:16:07 »
Couple of options:

It's for DT770s, but the process should be the same on the DT990s. Going with removable cable would definitely be a huge benefit in this case. Alternatively,

You can get replacement cables from beyerdynamics directly, or make your own, either/or.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 15:23:04 »
Couple of options:

It's for DT770s, but the process should be the same on the DT990s. Going with removable cable would definitely be a huge benefit in this case. Alternatively,

You can get replacement cables from beyerdynamics directly, or make your own, either/or.

This is what I will probably end up doing.

I wonder if pexon makes cables for these.

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 15:26:58 »
Beyers are relatively easy to work on. You should go for it, especially if you want the detachable cable. If you really don't want to diy, then headphile.com offers services, but you're venturing into snake oil audiophile land at this point (and I say that as a happy owner of V6 darth beyers).

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 16:27:11 »
Beyers are relatively easy to work on. You should go for it, especially if you want the detachable cable. If you really don't want to diy, then headphile.com offers services, but you're venturing into snake oil audiophile land at this point (and I say that as a happy owner of V6 darth beyers).

Oh man those are sexy.

I want one now.... But that price is eeeek

Offline MrBreakfst

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 30 October 2016, 07:04:11 »
You could also try soldering another 3.5mm jack to the broken end
You would have a shorter cord than before but it would be very unlikely to mess up the cans themselves

Offline atarione

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 30 October 2016, 17:52:46 »
probably the a relevatively easy / safe approach would be to adopt a pigtail putting a new 3.5 connector 2" or so outside where the cable exits the headphones and then getting whatever cable of your choice to plug to that then to device.

In my case I dropped my ATH M50's after owning them 4~yrs.. broke the 3.5 connector on the end of cable... I decided to take the opportunity to do a removable cable mod.. as pictured... it was pretty simple...even though my wife startled me when I was trying to solder the existing cable from driver to new female plug and a basically tore all the cables off the driver.. which was fine because it gave me an excuse to upgrade the wires..

you will find various guides on doing a removable cable mod on the beyers (look at headfi in particular)

blah blah ... my removable cable modded M50's

Offline ygor

• eat a butt, monkey lord
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 03:26:37 »
Hey man, if you're still looking for someone to fix these up for you, you could hit up Larry at Headphile (http://www.headphile.com/). This would be no big deal for him... Shoot him an email. He's in Washington state.

Edit- Haha, I just saw that Spopepro is also a fellow Darth owner...  :))
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 November 2016, 03:28:30 by ygor »
I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline Pazza01

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 16:58:57 »
Hello. I am new to this forum. Thank you so much for the posting of the DT990/770 cable replacement. I own a DT990 which has a a couple of broken wires and therefore no longer works. I happy to re-solder them but I don't have any diagram of the wiring. Do you know where I could find any info.
Kind Regards
Pascal