Author Topic: Looking for IBM beam spring style keycaps - FOUND THEM!!!  (Read 8750 times)

Offline Azmodan

• Strangers have the best candy!
Looking for IBM beam spring style keycaps - FOUND THEM!!!
« on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 05:21:09 »
Hello All,

I have been looking around for keycaps on the style and thickness of the IBM beam spring keyboard keycaps but for Kailh and Cherry style switches. I have found a few spherical/SA style keycaps but none I found are of this exact style and most are not that spherical. Also finding thick keycaps seems to also be an issue... Does any of you wonderful people here have any suggestions, links advice?
238488-0

Thanks!

:D
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 September 2020, 07:42:19 by Azmodan »

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
Re: Looking for IBM beam spring style keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 09:26:36 »
So Beamspring caps are notoriously awesome and product of their time, and almost nothing will be as thick as 5251 Beamspring keycaps. (I got mine right next to me to take a look at right now.)

That said there have been quite a few people striving for that look.

SA and DSA keycaps in general have this sort of look: https://kbdfans.com/collections/sa-profile

7bit made some top notch ones: https://deskthority.net/wiki/Round_5
(Problem is I don't think he's doing any anymore, but you can find them second hand from time to time.)

Hope that gets you in the right direction.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 March 2020, 14:22:55 by jacethesaltsculptor »

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline zslane

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 12:42:29 »
The closest you will find today is the MT3 profile. It was designed specifically as a tribute to beamspring keycaps, and they are quite thick. However, at this time they only exist as dye-sub PBT keycaps in the /dev/tty set. They are working on the double-shot process though.

Offline Azmodan

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 29 March 2020, 16:30:47 »
Thanks both for your replies! I have now found both MT3 and SA-P keycaps that look exactly as I would like them to!

Offline reavy

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 13:39:07 »
This info is really helpful. I've been looking for something like this, too.

I can't figure out why no one seems to be making these sets in colors to match the IBM 5251. The Dolch is kinda close -- the black is okay, but the gray for the main keys/letters is off from the IBM beamspring keyboards I've seen.

Offline Carogna

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 14:24:38 »
Hi Azmoda,
where did you find MT3 and/or SA-P keycaps set ? Could you post web shop link ;) !!!
Thanks a lot

Cheers

CRG

Offline FRANCO

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 23:48:19 »
Hi Azmoda,
where did you find MT3 and/or SA-P keycaps set ? Could you post web shop link ;) !!!
Thanks a lot

Cheers

CRG

https://drop.com/buy/drop-matt3o-mt3-dev-tty-keycap-set

There are a few other MT3 profile caps on that site, but this is the only one that's readily available

Offline shine

• IBM obsessed
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 04:45:56 »
if only they made it ISO...  :-[
Looking for: IBM 4978(XD!)
Current collection:
More
B: 3101, 3276, 3277, 3278, 3279, 5251, 5285, 6580
F: F50, F62 OG "kishaver", F104 "Unsaver", F107, F122, XT, AT, 3178 "bluebutton", 5291 "Bigfoot", 5155
M: Mopar, silver badge
Topre: Nissho KB106DE
Alps: blues, whites, green

Offline Treehouse

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 05:52:11 »
Amazon is selling MT3 style keycaps (I bought mine from AU Amazon, but the US site will work just as well. Last I checked, drop only has Ortho left in the dev/tty profile)

Also if you go to Pimp My Keyboard they are selling a "DSS" Dolch which may also meet your keycap requirements. It's a new sculpt of an old key from that era.

Offline Azmodan

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 06:59:13 »
Update after a long time that I originally posted this topic, but I think someone had the same desire as me when it comes to keycaps https://matt3o.com/3277-finally-the-keyset-mt3-was-designed-for/!!!

The MATT3O MT3 SUSUWATARI CUSTOM KEYCAP SET, which can be found at DROP https://drop.com/buy/drop-matt3o-mt3-susuwatari-custom-keycap-set, I think is the closest looking modern keycap set to the IBM beam spring keycaps and it look beautiful. Also the manufacturing techniques are similar to the original  IBM beam spring keycaps, so these things are thick and heavy! Obviously I already ordered my set and I will be pairing them with Kailh Box Navy switches which are heavy and very clicky/tactile! Can't wait!!!

This is a keyboard dream come true!   

Offline Azmodan

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 07:40:59 »
Hi Azmoda,
Thanks a lot

Cheers

CRG

I had given up for a while and I found the almost exact replica that are also double shot!

https://drop.com/buy/drop-matt3o-mt3-susuwatari-custom-keycap-set

Just ordered mine!

Offline Carogna

Re: Looking for IBM beam spring style keycaps - FOUND THEM!!!
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 14:16:55 »
For sure Matt3o set are very cool !!! ;)

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 16:03:33 »
Yes, this is very cool and all, but I hope they also release the black / white ABS doubleshots in MT3 that will replicate 3278.

Also, they should do some variant of SA 8010 in MT3. Maybe with the conventional Triumph Mods, and some gray accents [with optional gray numpad area.]

Offline hvontres

• Buckling Spring Enthusiast - Full Size Evangelist
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 17:12:14 »
Yes, this is very cool and all, but I hope they also release the black / white ABS doubleshots in MT3 that will replicate 3278.

Also, they should do some variant of SA 8010 in MT3. Maybe with the conventional Triumph Mods, and some gray accents [with optional gray numpad area.]
Now that they have the double shot molde from Susuwatari, new color combos should be much easier and quicker.
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline Azmodan

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 09 October 2020, 11:31:12 »
Considering that the SUSUWATARI keycap set has sold almost 9000 sets through Drop and that they have the double-shot process available to them now, I cannot see how they wouldn't start pumping out various color combinations of double shot MT3 keycaps. Unless they do not like money!

I am currently in the process of building an DROP Alt high profile with the SUSUWATARI and Kailh box navy for some heavy clicks!

Offline Azmodan

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 10:32:21 »

Now that they have the double shot molde from Susuwatari, new color combos should be much easier and quicker.

Very close!!!
DROP + MATT3O MT3 3277 CUSTOM KEYCAP SET
https://drop.com/buy/drop-matt3o-mt3-3277-custom-keycap-set