Author Topic: [GB] Modern M0110 custom keyboard  (Read 271711 times)

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
Re: [GB] Modern M0110 custom keyboard
« Reply #650 on: Wed, 26 August 2020, 21:57:55 »
Current status:

Last Cerakote keyboard is done and just awaiting my pickup from the vendor. Spent some time at the anodizer today and we're mostly on track there but a bunch of keyboards need to be re-blasted which is going to keep delaying the remaining units. Almost done guys!

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #651 on: Fri, 28 August 2020, 00:49:11 »
Hey folks,

Just wanted to announce that we just reached a critical milestone - all Cerakote finishing is complete!! There are 8 anodized units left to finish and then this GB will be complete and I can ship proxy orders!

If you ordered directly from Desk Candy and have NOT received your order confirmation email and you think this is in error, please contact me asap!

Thanks everyone

Offline TheBlackHammer

« Reply #652 on: Fri, 28 August 2020, 06:45:03 »
Hey folks,

Just wanted to announce that we just reached a critical milestone - all Cerakote finishing is complete!! There are 8 anodized units left to finish and then this GB will be complete and I can ship proxy orders!

If you ordered directly from Desk Candy and have NOT received your order confirmation email and you think this is in error, please contact me asap!

Thanks everyone
AHHH!! Does this mean I can get an extra someone soon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MPAstudio

« Reply #653 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 19:00:33 »
These are the results of TWO YEARS WAITING.

MPAstudio _ Architecture Lab

Offline chicagoboss25

• deskcandy.xyz | reddit.com/u/heroyjenkins
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #654 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 11:12:56 »
I guess since this is posted here I'll respond before the pitchforks hunt me down. I offered this person an exchange on the top piece for another grey top. What they haven't shown you is that there is a 2 inch square custom engraving on the bottom so I will not be able to exchange the bottom piece.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 September 2020, 12:11:41 by chicagoboss25 »

Offline MPAstudio

« Reply #655 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 11:55:48 »
It is unfair that the exchange cannot be made just because there is a custom engrave. If I knew this would happen, I wouldn't have ordered custom engrave options. Horrible defective housing is my fault? It is not as high quality as an $80 housing, even though it is a U.S. production you always said.

Offline MPAstudio

« Reply #656 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 12:14:57 »
Its TWO YEARS.. T W O YEARS. I've been waiting two years for this.

Offline TheBlackHammer

« Reply #657 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 21:49:56 »
If you would like I would gladly take it off your hands for your price and I would love it every single day

Offline MPAstudio

« Reply #658 on: Wed, 02 September 2020, 00:08:14 »
-

Offline MPAstudio

« Reply #659 on: Wed, 02 September 2020, 00:08:55 »
If you would like I would gladly take it off your hands for your price and I would love it every single day

It is currently in anodizing factory in korea. (for glass sanding & re-anodizing)
If I get the keyboard back and they don't meet my standards, I'll sell it.
Anyway it'll much better than now.

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #660 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 13:22:31 »
Hey everyone, we are complete on manufacturing! If there are any issues I will do my best to resolve them but I do not intend to keep manufacturing keyboards after this GB is fully wrapped (what that means in a moment) so would appreciate everyone checking in on their order after they receive it - if you email me a few months after you receive your order and there's a problem, I might not be able to help at that point.

So in terms of next steps here:

1. I have reached out to Mykeyboard and zFrontier and as soon as I hear back will work on shipping the proxy orders
2. There are 7 more keyboards to ship to US customers and I've sent order confirmations for all of them so please check your emails
3. Once #1 and #2 are complete, I will start releasing some extra accessories like plates, wrist rests, and XDA Oblique keycaps (Modern M0110 kits). This is done first so those of you who already have a keyboard have first dibs on the extra accessories (if you don't have a Modern M0110 now you're probably not in the market for a plate). Once that runs for a week or so, then I'll start releasing extra Modern M0110 units on hand. Vast majority of these will be Light Sand Cerakote and possibly a few other colors (TBD) in very small quantities.

That's it, thanks everyone and have a good week.

Offline jcs

• jcs.org
« Reply #661 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 15:32:22 »
Where will you be selling the extra units?

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #662 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 21:24:28 »
Desk Candy website

Offline TheBlackHammer

« Reply #663 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 20:43:30 »
Super excited for extras been waiting almost a year for this!!

Offline piercejenkins

« Reply #664 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 22:13:20 »
My body is ready to pick up one of the light sand extras.  I sad I missed the initial GB. How will we be notified when it goes live?

Offline vurtomatic

« Reply #665 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 22:58:18 »
And how much?

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #666 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 11:57:54 »
Received. Standard ano finish. No finish manufacturing errors like some others have show fortunately, but extremely disappointed with the poor quality engraving. Both the custom engraving which has unfinished lines of laser pass, as well as the interior 'designed in europe' line that tilts slightly/is not straight.

Overall I am very happy with the keyboard, but I expect more for the time and cost.

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #667 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 23:14:12 »
Messaged you back directly, sorry you're not happy with the custom engraving quality.

In terms of overall status, there's only one order left where I've tried to contact the person 3 times with no response. If you are order #064 please get in touch with me asap so I can get your keyboards shipped out to you.

Price for extras will probably be $500/ea for Light Sand Cerakote blanks (i.e., no engraving) including a plate. Still trying to work through GB orders as the first priority but if it's just the 1 order (#064) I'm waiting on, I can't let that block doing extras.

Offline piercejenkins

« Reply #668 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 23:16:10 »
How soon are we talking then?

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #669 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 23:18:04 »
Within the next week or so. Will be posting here and also sending an email to the newsletter to announce when units are going live and put behind a timer to make it fair instead of randomly doing it. Will try to give about 2 days notice :)

Offline TheBlackHammer

« Reply #670 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 08:07:16 »
Would the instant60 pcb by cannon keys work with this case?

Offline beekey

« Reply #671 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 08:26:00 »
Within the next week or so. Will be posting here and also sending an email to the newsletter to announce when units are going live and put behind a timer to make it fair instead of randomly doing it. Will try to give about 2 days notice :)
Shouldn't you wait until all people got their case? Maybe you need to replace one or two.

Offline aslanxdeft

« Reply #672 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 11:38:10 »
Shouldn't you wait until all people got their case? Maybe you need to replace one or two.
Look 4 posts above yours

Offline LXVRGS

« Reply #673 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 12:40:16 »

yes

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #674 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 12:45:17 »

I’m using one right now.

Offline TheBlackHammer

« Reply #675 on: Sun, 20 September 2020, 13:19:05 »
Does anyone know where I can get sound dampening material for this board. I couldn’t wait and found one for a great price

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #676 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 09:32:21 »
Shelf liner or craft foam works well and is cheap.

Gorilla Grip Original Drawer and Shelf Liner
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GZY8PG7

80 PCS EVA Foam Handicraft Sheets, Craft Foam Sheets Assorted Colorful for Craft Projects 16 Colors - 8.25 x 5.8 inches
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TBRX97Z

Offline dantambok

« Reply #677 on: Tue, 22 September 2020, 21:25:24 »
I got mine today. Thanks John!
Stuff  I have
More
2x TGR Alice / TGR 910 RE / TGR 910 CE / TGR 910 VKC / 2x TGR Jane V2 / 2x Matrix 2.0 / Matrix 2.2 / Matrix 1.2OG / Lyn Whale v2 / Lyn EM7 v3 / DK Saver / Keycult No. 1/60 /  Quantrik Hachi /  Quantrik  Kyuu / Duck Orion V2 / TGRxSinga Unikorn R1 / 2x Unikorn 2.2 / Quantrik QXP /  JER80 / TMO50 / 2x 86u / ION i69 / LZ MP / 2x FMJ80 / TGR Jane V2 CE / Matrix Project F / IDB60 / is0  / MXSS / Atom TKL / Duck Viper v3 / HBCP / Noxary 280 / LZ Physix / FLX Virgo / Modern M0110 / Matrix 2.0 ADD / TGR Police / Noxary XRF / Noxary Vulcan Pro / 350 Mimi / Matrix 2.0CP / Kira80 / Exent 65% / FMJ60 / Haus 65 / Kikuichimonji / Cake 60 / 2x AU Unikorn  Commission/ LZ XE / Paraluman 60 / AI03 Andromeda / Dalco 959 Mini GT / LZ Erghost /  Finder Works Hyphen / 2x Singa Kohaku / Linworks EM8 / GAFxTGR 910 / TGRxKLC Dolice / TGR 910v2 ME / Noxary Valhalla / Hiney Ibis / LZ REs / PerryWorks MC65 / Hiney Poly TKL One / RS60 / Zekk RBB / QK80 / Keycult No 2 TKL / FLX Virgo r2 / Matrix Navi

Coming --   Lynx50 (wixx scammed us) / Ladybird60 / JJW Derivative / TGR Shi

100+ GMK sets

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #678 on: Tue, 22 September 2020, 23:08:27 »
That's a beauty!,  Would look awesome with the RAMA Kate caps in black and red!  Just saw a render on Instagram the other day.

« Last Edit: Tue, 22 September 2020, 23:11:42 by pixelpusher »

Offline chicagoboss25

• deskcandy.xyz | reddit.com/u/heroyjenkins
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #679 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 11:51:43 »

There's 2 more orders to ship on my end, 1 person has been non-responsive in terms of confirming shipping address (if you're out there order #064 please respond!!!) and the other should ship in next day or two.

I'm not going to sell all the extras at once, there will be 2 or 3 rounds. What that means is that supply will be very limited for each round (only 5-6) but on the flip side, it means that if you miss out, there will be more chances. I'm not doing this from a marketing POV, but so I can keep some extras on-hand longer to deal with issues with other orders potentially and get some $ in the door since I need to pay bills until this is 100% wrapped (incl extras).

Offline Dumblescore

« Reply #680 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 12:39:03 »
 I really hope the matching number pad becomes available some day!  You can put me down for two — one for a left-side numpad and one for the function keys

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #681 on: Thu, 24 September 2020, 01:01:34 »
6 light sand extras will go live on the Desk Candy website at 9AM PST this Saturday. Price will be $499 + shipping ($25 CONUS, $90 international, subject to change) including your choice of HHKB or Universal plate.

There will be 1 or 2 more rounds of extras in roughly this quantity in the coming weeks if you miss out. Most extras will be light sand (100% light sand this time).

252355-0

Thanks everyone.

Offline colonelpanic

« Reply #682 on: Thu, 24 September 2020, 01:46:40 »
Is it so difficult to just disclose all the colors of the extras you'll be offering? I want to support the project, but at $500 a pop, it would be nice to know any colors other than light sand without having to wait until the last round.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 September 2020, 02:26:24 by colonelpanic »

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #683 on: Thu, 24 September 2020, 14:31:58 »
Yes because haven't actually made any samples on the new color, it's not because I'm trying to be secretive.

If you really want to know, I'm trying to do a black anodized finish after what's called "shot peening" the metal (think of firing a bunch of small ball bearings to create a textured finish). It will be like a "tactical black" finish. It should be easy according to the anodizer because I've had enough manufacturing issues, but I'll believe it when I see it. So some chance it will be this and some chance it won't?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #684 on: Sat, 03 October 2020, 11:45:22 »
Any chance of picking up an extra plate foam? Need one for my MX build. 

Offline TheBlackHammer

« Reply #685 on: Sat, 03 October 2020, 11:55:08 »
I second that need some foam!

Offline Dumblescore

« Reply #686 on: Sat, 03 October 2020, 12:12:07 »
Mine is here!  It is absolutely beautiful!  The engraving has some artifacts but overall it’s lovely!  I made the dumb mistake of not having any caps at the ready to put on it, so now I need to figure out what caps go best with grey and maybe even fit the theme.  I’m open to suggestions!

Offline colonelpanic

« Reply #687 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 22:59:48 »
Mine is here!  It is absolutely beautiful!  The engraving has some artifacts but overall it’s lovely!  I made the dumb mistake of not having any caps at the ready to put on it, so now I need to figure out what caps go best with grey and maybe even fit the theme.  I’m open to suggestions!

Yeah, the underside of mine looks nothing like yours. Mill-path galore over here.  :-X

Wait, where did you guys get the plate foam from?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #688 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 23:16:46 »

Yeah, the underside of mine looks nothing like yours. Mill-path galore over here.  :-X

Wait, where did you guys get the plate foam from?

It was an option in the original group buy

Offline TheBlackHammer

« Reply #689 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 13:54:19 »
Just realizing I never posted my board. I’m out of the community at this point. I’ve truly reached endgame!

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #690 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 12:13:46 »
i would like to pick up a sand cerakote model, if anyone has one available or there are more extras for sale at some point

thanks!

Offline Contrakey

• Contrakey
« Reply #691 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 13:15:22 »
Looks really really good, just wish there were options for ctrl.

Offline TheBlackHammer

« Reply #692 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 21:47:28 »
Looks really really good, just wish there were options for ctrl.
You can do what I do and put control where caps lock is. Most sets have a control key where caps is. Or you could have control where one of the windows keys are

Offline Annex

« Reply #693 on: Sun, 11 October 2020, 08:59:56 »
Hey Deskcandy, just curious about the status of proxy orders, have they all been shipped? I'm unable to get in touch with the people at MyKeyboard

Offline Havattack

« Reply #694 on: Sun, 11 October 2020, 14:02:12 »
Why did i have to get into this hobby months after all the coolest GB's close...This sucks. Group buys suck. Everything sucks. (Yes, i am in full on pouting mode here. What do you want from me? I'm a millennial, I'm supposed to be entitled to anything i want...LOL)
In all seriousness, with seemingly how popular this hobby, and some of the GB's are becoming, why doesn't someone just open up some kind of custom keyboard specialty shop, and carry some stock of the more popular group buys.

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #695 on: Sun, 11 October 2020, 15:46:37 »
Why did i have to get into this hobby months after all the coolest GB's close...This sucks. Group buys suck. Everything sucks. (Yes, i am in full on pouting mode here. What do you want from me? I'm a millennial, I'm supposed to be entitled to anything i want...LOL)
In all seriousness, with seemingly how popular this hobby, and some of the GB's are becoming, why doesn't someone just open up some kind of custom keyboard specialty shop, and carry some stock of the more popular group buys.

Try TX Keyboards or Novelkeys. Probably the closest thing I can think of to someone carrying stock on anything custom. As I'm sure someone at Deskcandy can attest to, these things are a **** ton of work and probably an insanely difficult business model to achieve a meaningful profit. There are easier ways to make money that scale more easily and don't inflict so much brain damage.

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #696 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 00:12:10 »

Try TX Keyboards or Novelkeys. Probably the closest thing I can think of to someone carrying stock on anything custom. As I'm sure someone at Deskcandy can attest to, these things are a **** ton of work and probably an insanely difficult business model to achieve a meaningful profit. There are easier ways to make money that scale more easily and don't inflict so much brain damage.

Yes lol. Brain damage part is true.

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #697 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 00:25:28 »
Hi everyone,

As I'm winding down and closing out inventory in the shop, I have a few B-stock units to offer here. Please email me at john@deskcandy.xyz and I will invoice you on Paypal (it is a lot of work to create a custom listing on my site for each individual unit). Shipping is same as the other extras - $25 CONUS and $90 international. If you're somewhere else (e.g., Hawaii or Alaska) I'll check the shipping cost individually so email me your rough location so I can set the invoice correctly.

PLEASE SPECIFY IN YOUR EMAIL IF YOU WOULD LIKE AN HHKB OR UNIVERSAL PLATE

1. [SOLD] B-stock light sand Cerakote with engraving error (started out #035 and changed to #036) AND filled-in custom engraving. The original customer sold their spot to someone else and I missed that when prepping for engraving. The metal filler pitted a bit when Cerakoting again so unfortunately at some angles you can see the engraving a little bit. Offering this one for $349, which is probably the cheapest Modern M0110 deal you'll ever see again :)

253427-0253429-1

2. [SOLD] B-stock light sand Cerakote (no engraving) with one small dent at the back on the bottom edge (hole pictured is center top from the underside). $449

253431-2

3. [SOLD] B-stock light sand Cerakote (no engraving) with broken tap in 1 of the 8 M2 screw holes for the 1.5mm plate. $449

253433-3

4. [SOLD] B-stock gray anodized (no engraving) with a moderate amount of uneven-ness in anodizing color on the top piece. $449

253435-4253437-5
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 October 2020, 16:21:43 by deskcandy »

Offline adamcobabe

« Reply #698 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 06:50:38 »
I received my two keyboards and have mixed feelings. Nice to finally have them. The weight is unbelievable--super solid keyboards. I got one in each anodizing color because I couldn't decide. Was going to sell the one I liked least, but still can't decide. The quality of the anodizing on the silver is pretty dull and splotchy (which John acknowledged and gave me a discount on shipping to my new location in the UK). But it's still disappointing. The finish on the dark gray is much better, but it has come out very red/magenta in hue. Anyone else notice that? I'm having the hardest time finding keycaps that look good with that particular gray (and I have quite an extensive collection of keycaps). It seems that black, red and white are the best colors. Other gray keycaps look terrible IMHO because of the red-ish hue to the anodizing. What caps are people using with gray ano? A lot of keys work with the silver, thankfully.

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #699 on: Sun, 18 October 2020, 00:03:44 »
Hey Deskcandy, just curious about the status of proxy orders, have they all been shipped? I'm unable to get in touch with the people at MyKeyboard

Shipping invoices are out to both zFrontier and MyKeyboard and all keyboards and add-ons are packed up and ready to go for both. MyKeyboard hasn't replied to my last couple emails while zFrontier is pretty responsible, so I'm going to give the MyKeyboard guys a call Monday morning their time and hopefully both international orders will ship and deliver to their respective destinations by end of week next week.