Author Topic: Leopold FC660C: topre first encountered  (Read 14997 times)

Offline bahamot

• bistropolis - dine with style
Leopold FC660C: topre first encountered
« on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 11:12:51 »
LEOPOLD FC660C

Packaging and Accessories
FC660C (lack of) accessories and packaging are nothing special to write about.
So I just let photos do the talking.

box overall view

bottom view

The included accessories are:
-   USB cable
-   Cable tie
-   User manual
-   alternative key caps for ctrl and caps lock

First Impression
I didn’t get any “wow” factor when the first time I opened up the box. Its
appearance looks just like ordinary keyboard just with different layout. The
body frame material is also nothing out of ordinary: plastic.
But luckily the plastic frame is quite good with minimal flex when pressing
its side frame. And the weight is also pretty good given its size.
These last two factors  really helped in first impression.

rubber on the feet, which is nice attention to the detail

nice little surprise here

Typing
It feels like ordinary rubber dome keyboard when the first time press down
the key. But at the mid-way, I feel my finger is like being suck down by the
switch.  After reached the bottom (with nice “thock” sound), then things
starting to get excited, the switch push up my finger just as what
mechanical switch should do. This whole process really gives me truly unique
experienced and enjoyable typing experienced.
When I try to understand the experienced, I realized this is to be expected
because of how the topre switch works.
Furthermore, the board has dedicated arrow keys without sacrificing too much
on the size and other keys size. The dedicated arrow keys are real joy to
be used in worksheet.

Keycaps
The material used in key caps are PBT (except spacebar, it’s an ordinary ABS),
sadly it’s just ordinary thickness. Even though Elitekeyboard lists the key caps
as laser printed, the legends look like pad printed to me (see below macro shot). 
As this board has unique layout, ordinary topre keycaps set won’t fit to all of the rows.

compare to poker2 keycap: poker2 left, fc660c right

compare to poker2 keycap: poker2 left, fc660c right. noticed how the fc660c is lifted up a bit due to its stem

compare to poker2 keycap: poker2 left, fc660c right. noticed how thicker the poker2 cap compare to fc660c's

looks pad printed to me :(

Conclusion
Do I like the board? Yes, no doubt about it. To me, FC660C best aspects are its
layout and its topre switches. Does that mean I like topre switch more than
Cherry MX? Not really, as it just feels different than the Cherry MX switches.
Would I buy another topre board? Maybe if I get the chance.

Miscellaneous
More

compare to poker2

overall bottom view
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 October 2013, 12:12:16 by bahamot »

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline bahamot

Re: Leopold FC660C: topre fist encountered
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 11:13:24 »
reserved

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 11:28:08 »
Great review bahamot! I really enjoyed reading. I think Leopold really hit a home run with this one, despite the keycaps being less than stellar. The thing feels like a tank, and I thought the 45g switches felt very crisp and had a real nice tactile feedback.  The equation is a nice touch for aesthetic value too.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 11:45:25 »
yep, that's pad printing. thanks for the macro shot. pretty conclusive.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Leopold FC660C: topre first encountered
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 18:11:10 »
Thanks for the review :)

Very nice ultra-closeup of the Esc!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline bahamot

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 09:31:10 »
Great review bahamot! I really enjoyed reading. I think Leopold really hit a home run with this one, despite the keycaps being less than stellar. The thing feels like a tank, and I thought the 45g switches felt very crisp and had a real nice tactile feedback.  The equation is a nice touch for aesthetic value too.
Thanks and glad you enjoyed it :D
Yeah the keycaps is a bit heart breaking considering the asking price.

Offline gigibecali

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 10:57:12 »
Oh YES.

That's how closeups should look on this nitpickers forum :)

Congrats to OP.
IBM M - UK  |  QFR reds  |  QFR blacks  |  HPE 87 browns  |  HPE 87 blues

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 20:27:40 »
That's how closeups should look on this nitpickers forum :)

You've been here too long ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline panpipe

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 20:43:25 »
Nice review!

Surprisingly few photos of the top of the board - but I do like the photos that you have included.

This was the alternative to the poker II for me when looking for my first mechanical keyboard. In the end I went with the cheaper Poker, seemed like less of a risk and it's a lot more customisable. I still really like the look of the FC660C and its dedicated arrow keys.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 20:48:09 »
I love this keyboard. Next thing Topre has to do is release some custom keys for this board..

Offline redskull

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 21:57:39 »
DAT CLOSEUP...

im really torn between this board and hhkb. cheaper but the size and layout is putting me off.  :confused:

Offline SNF

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 04:55:57 »
DAT CLOSEUP...

im really torn between this board and hhkb. cheaper but the size and layout is putting me off.  :confused:

I preffered the hhkb, the FC is a solid board too.

Congrats to OP on the Leopold  :thumb:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 05:23:58 »
DAT CLOSEUP...

The biggest difference is the arrow keys.

Although a lot of people can cope without (dedicated) arrow keys on the HHKB, some can't.  They are the one thing I miss on the HHKB, and would have bought a FC660C in ahearbeat if they had been available in white when I was looking for HHKB.

Offline sprit

•  Post Editing Timeout
  • Location: The Geek Symphosion :::::: Mechanical Engineering ::: Alta Magna Uniforma :::::: 哀吾生之須臾羨長江之無窮 ::
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 08:39:25 »
Nicely Priced Topre ever?   I would buy when my Realforce 101 and 87 die.
not a big quality issue I guess?  Are there any reports?

Offline bahamot

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 13:05:05 »
Some complain about the case that is not too rigid, other than that I don't know if there are others.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 13:10:53 »
It's the top case that isn't too rigid. There's quite a bit of flex if you squeeze it from the top and bottom, but then you try to flex it normally by bending the board, you'll find that it's rock solid and doesn't really flex at all. I think the top case is a good thing though, this makes it easy for possible aluminum cases to be designed in the future unlike the HHKB where the switches are mounted onto the case and the only aluminum HHKB out there is with the HHKB HG from PFU themselves.

Offline AuRinBei

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 08:54:40 »

The only major quality issue is the keycaps. Litterally the worst printing I have ever seen, mechanical keyboard or otherwise. I'm pretty sure it would have lasted longer if I had drawn the letters on with a marker. Also, I found it weird that switching the dip switch for control and capslock disabled the capslock led. Other than that, its a really solid board. I feel like people exaggerate most of the time when they say "rock solid", but it pretty much is. My case didnt' flex at all, so hopefully they got their flexy case issues worked out.
87u || Poker 2

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 16:02:05 »
Does anyone know if its possible to open the 660C? I want to paint the case

Offline Sniping

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 17:01:00 »
Yeah, lots of people have opened it up. Pretty sure it's as easy as removing the warranty sticker, unscrewing that and pressing the tabs.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 08:12:43 »
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline baotung

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 03:29:00 »
Hahah. Indeed, the equation was a nice little prize.