Author Topic: [IC] SKB2 - steel, isolation top mount, powder coated / ETA set!  (Read 285336 times)

Offline PlastikSchnittstelle

Re: [IC] SKB2 - steel case, isolation top mount, powder coated or stainless
« Reply #500 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 14:13:22 »
I would have hoped for a bit more bezel but I am aware this probably puts me in the minority...but I am definitely in. However something just struck me.

Please consider offering an add on folded palm rest, just a simple wedge shaped profile that would go along nicely with the case. Should be easy to manufacture and not too expensive.

Too bad the material used is not ferrous as it would be possible to use magnets to attach the palm rest to the case. Maybe still a possibility somehow, hmmm...

I LIKE BIG Bezels...

yeah, me too :)

I actually had shown such a design back in the IC for the SKB1. the top part had the rest included. I might experiment with it again, not sure atm. see (oh, already three years old now):

Offline steezkeez

« Reply #501 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 14:20:18 »

I LIKE BIG Bezels...

I actually had shown such a design back in the IC for the SKB1. the top part had the rest included. I might experiment with it again, not sure atm. see (oh, already three years old now):

Show Image

That is INSANE. I would be so in for one.

« Reply #502 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 14:20:32 »
Too bad the material used is not ferrous

It definitely is ferrous. The whole point of SKB2 is that it's made of ferrous steel. Only the stainless version might be non-ferrous, and even that is unlikely since I'm guessing he's using 18-8 stainless which is mildly magnetic. Only something like 316 would be completely non-magnetic.

the stainless steel version will be made of V2A.

« Reply #503 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 14:26:38 »
@PlastikSchnittstelle Are the plates going to support Maarten's switch top openers?

sorry, I don't like the cutouts to allow for switch top removal. I want the switch to sit tight. you'll need to get your switches right before you build.

Offline eebogaine

« Reply #504 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 14:28:50 »
the stainless steel version will be made of V2A.

Ahh so 18-10 in american designation. I was close  ;D

Offline kaisn

« Reply #505 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 14:43:43 »
Ai gude, schaut fein aus.

I will join if my wallet will allow it

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #506 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 15:13:06 »
During the SKB1 GB I made custom plate DXF for everyone who asked for it. Quite a lot got their own plate this way. I'm planning to offer my help the same way again. Maybe this time a custom plate service that not only gets you the file but a physical plate instead, not sure about that yet.

That'd make my life way easier, it's not that much of a hassle to go to Laserboost and do it that way but regardless.

Offline Riba

« Reply #507 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 02:28:12 »
Too bad the material used is not ferrous

It definitely is ferrous. The whole point of SKB2 is that it's made of ferrous steel. Only the stainless version might be non-ferrous, and even that is unlikely since I'm guessing he's using 18-8 stainless which is mildly magnetic. Only something like 316 would be completely non-magnetic.

Thanks for clarifying, that makes sense.

Offline Riba

« Reply #508 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 02:35:27 »

I LIKE BIG Bezels...

Show Image

Thanks, I'm not feeling so lonely any more.  :D

An add-on palm rest for the existing design that would get you close to the one depicted above would be most welcome. Not a deal breaker by any means, I guess it wouldn't be too hard to get one done myself, but definitely easier to get it a s a bundle....if there is interest of course.

Offline killchain

« Reply #509 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 04:33:01 »
I would have hoped for a bit more bezel but I am aware this probably puts me in the minority...but I am definitely in. However something just struck me.

Please consider offering an add on folded palm rest, just a simple wedge shaped profile that would go along nicely with the case. Should be easy to manufacture and not too expensive.

Too bad the material used is not ferrous as it would be possible to use magnets to attach the palm rest to the case. Maybe still a possibility somehow, hmmm...

I LIKE BIG Bezels...

Show Image

This looks awesome, although I can see a few limitations right off:
  • If the feet at the front are at the edge of the palm rest, it would be very difficult to angle the board, i.e. the feet at the back would have to be way bigger to allow the same angles
  • If the feet at the front are where they usually would be (without the palm rest), the palm rest would stick out in the lowest angle setting and would probably tilt the keyboard when you rest your hands on it (unless of course there are feet there too, which would mean one extra pair of feet for each angle setting)

Maybe if the palm rest is semi-rigidly attached in some way that allows changing the angle...

Offline Nuclear Nachos

• Anima and Animus
« Reply #510 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 06:22:55 »
Have you thought about a 1.5 1 1.5 7 1.5 bottom row (like Koyu) support on the 65%? Dream layout, but there aren’t any decently priced ones on the market

:(
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 January 2020, 06:25:06 by Nuclear Nachos »

« Reply #511 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 10:32:48 »

I LIKE BIG Bezels...

Show Image

This looks awesome, although I can see a few limitations right off:
  • If the feet at the front are at the edge of the palm rest, it would be very difficult to angle the board, i.e. the feet at the back would have to be way bigger to allow the same angles
  • If the feet at the front are where they usually would be (without the palm rest), the palm rest would stick out in the lowest angle setting and would probably tilt the keyboard when you rest your hands on it (unless of course there are feet there too, which would mean one extra pair of feet for each angle setting)

Maybe if the palm rest is semi-rigidly attached in some way that allows changing the angle...

The front row height is already very low so I personally don't see the need for a wrist rest. The design is already set and either adding a separate wrist rest or integrating it - it is both something that should be considered from the beginning. Too late to add it now. I may explore this in the future. Not for this run, already a  lot of different versions and sizes.

« Reply #512 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 10:36:09 »
Have you thought about a 1.5 1 1.5 7 1.5 bottom row (like Koyu) support on the 65%? Dream layout, but there aren’t any decently priced ones on the market

Have you seen the 65% PCB from Maarten? It does support exactly that layout. Tsangan bottom row for 65%. For this GB he'll design a new 65% PCB, same layouts like his Ta-65 PCB, it will get USB-C and will be called "Eon67". Mentioned here.

Here you can see the supported layouts:

234521-0
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 January 2020, 10:39:03 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline Riba

« Reply #513 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 11:44:38 »
Have you seen the 65% PCB from Maarten? It does support exactly that layout. Tsangan bottom row for 65%. For this GB he'll design a new 65% PCB, same layouts like his Ta-65 PCB, it will get USB-C and will be called "Eon67". Mentioned here.

(Attachment Link)

Any hope for Boardwalk support? I know it is being evaluated, really hoping for it. Thanks!

Offline BigLeageChew

« Reply #514 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 19:09:13 »
I put down for 65% with blockers. I would buy a TKL with Blockers in an instant too!

Offline malde

« Reply #515 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 06:10:13 »

(Attachment Link)

How will the plates accomodate that?
Will the plate support all layouts possible on the pcb or will there be fixed layouts to choose from (for example ISO plate, ANSI plate, etc.)?

« Reply #516 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 07:12:11 »
The usual way, like it's done with most other custom cases.
Unified plate.

Here you can see two different prototypes, the lower one is newer and not jet surface treated:

234604-0

An updated design is already ordered, it will look like this:

234606-1

« Reply #517 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 08:25:10 »
Some desk pictures

Sorry, still haven't had time to do good pictures of the current prototypes. Since the 3rd prototype batch will be ready in about two weeks from now, I'll wait until I get it and then get pictures made from all. Will need to get some more keycap sets until then.

Until then, I managed to get just enough light on my desk to make at least a few ok shots. Honestly, I was unsure if I should post them because the light is obviously still bad but you should be able to get an idea of how it might look on your desk:

Btw, I only use R5 bottom row. That RGB-MOD is from a GB quite a while ago that included 1.5U R5. Another one that will also include 1.25U R5 is currently in IC, over here.
I'm very happy with the deep black zink surface treatment of the plates.
60% is RAL9001, 65% is RAL9002. Next prototypes will include RAL1013.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 January 2020, 11:25:43 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline Biased opinion

« Reply #518 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 09:20:03 »
I would be down with a full size or TKL with an integrated wrist rest in a future run. Brings back memories of the Steelseries 7G

Offline malde

« Reply #519 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 09:44:01 »
Unified plate.

Here you can see two different prototypes, the lower one is newer and not jet surface treated:

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Perfect, that's what I've hoped.
100% in for the yellow 65% with blockers.

« Reply #520 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 10:37:34 »
Any hope for Boardwalk support? I know it is being evaluated, really hoping for it. Thanks!

Just wanted to ask Shensmobile if he's fine with it. He is absolutely fine with it, in fact he's planning another run of Boardwalk PCBs.

Yes, SKB2-60 Boardwalk is now confirmed.

Offline NathanielGoodtimes

• n/a
« Reply #521 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 10:50:41 »

I LIKE BIG Bezels...

Show Image

That is INSANE. I would be so in for one.

THIS LOOKS AMAZING!
Love the wrist wrest.
Love the 65ish%
THIS!

Offline Riba

« Reply #522 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 11:25:08 »

Just wanted to ask Shensmobile if he's fine with it. He is absolutely fine with it, in fact he's planning another run of Boardwalk PCBs.

Yes, SKB2-60 Boardwalk is now confirmed.

:thumb: Fantastic!

« Reply #523 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 12:18:44 »
RAL colors and glossy coating

I've been to the company that is doing the powder coating. We've discussed the glossy coating. I won't go into detail but basically a perfectly even surface with glossy is not simple and the outcome depends on various factors.
Earlier here I had already concluded that the interest for Finstruktur is much higher anyway, which is why it will be the only option.

Looks like these will be the available RAL options (all Feinstruktur):
- Classic Beige: RAL9001 or RAL9002 or RAL1013 (vote will decide)
- Gray / Dolch: RAL7039
- Black: RAL9005
- Yellow: RAL1023 (waiting for the next protos to confirm this)

...and of course the nickel coated, bead blasted, stainless steel version

Offline FearsomeCubedWarrior

« Reply #524 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 12:45:35 »
Will voting for beige be excluding (only one color may be chosen) or we will be able prioritize the colors (most desired option, second best option and least preferred option)?

« Reply #525 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 12:48:51 »
I think the latter makes more sense.
Multivote.

Offline Howgii

« Reply #526 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 12:58:13 »
The 1800 layout looks really cool, and I would love to have a powder coated beige one.

Offline Hell-es

« Reply #527 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 13:00:32 »
Again big  :thumb: for communication and details.

Really happy that i already got in - this gets better and better with every update

Offline rinkaan

« Reply #528 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 05:34:23 »
Currently the supported layouts are potentially only 65%, TKL,? Any 1800 or full size?

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

« Reply #529 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 06:12:03 »
I regularly update the start post ;)

Offline Nuclear Nachos

• Anima and Animus
« Reply #530 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 11:38:24 »
No e-white color? :c
Rest of the colors look great tho, keep up the great work!
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 January 2020, 11:41:14 by Nuclear Nachos »

Offline rinkaan

« Reply #531 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 17:17:12 »
I regularly update the start post ;)
Opps.. My first time following an IC so closely so quite  noobish about it.. Will check the first post next time! Sorry!

Offline bisoromi

• Formerly Duwang
  • owo
« Reply #532 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 17:29:47 »
Very interested in the TKL!! Excited to see the prototypes for it :thumb:
(credits to Kokaloo)

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #533 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 17:31:49 »
Unified plate.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Can you speak to how these the different plate designs felt? Really curious what the results were and why you chose to make the changes to the cutout design you did. I'm also interested in snagging a TKL.
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

« Reply #534 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 18:06:17 »
Yes, I had written about the plates back here. I'll report again when I get the new ones.
I know, it's a long thread, easy to miss a lot of stuff.
For those of you who only check back occasionally, the update section in the start post links to the important posts throughout the thread.

Offline wing1098

« Reply #535 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 01:01:29 »
when is the next early bird? :p :p

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #536 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 12:51:07 »
Yes, I had written about the plates back here. I'll report again when I get the new ones.
I know, it's a long thread, easy to miss a lot of stuff.
For those of you who only check back occasionally, the update section in the start post links to the important posts throughout the thread.

Thanks for the link I apologize for missing it I read the thread but must have missed that one. Interesting to read. I guess the relief cuts make less of a difference on these steel plates since they're so much stiffer by themselves already that even with there being only a little piece connecting the inner and outer regions of the plate it didn't significantly impact it.

Is structural integrity a bit concern? I had thought for steel it was strong enough to not really have to worry about it.

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline bisoromi

• Formerly Duwang
  • owo
« Reply #537 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 13:18:22 »
I may not have looked hard enough but are there any pics of the bottom of the boards? Just curious as to where the bumpon/feet will be and how it'd sit on the desk.

when is the next early bird? :p :p

Also wondering this ;D
(credits to Kokaloo)

Offline norb

« Reply #538 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 13:42:18 »
from my understanding there will be no more early bird rounds, after three prototypes the next step will be the GB.

« Reply #539 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 15:56:04 »
I guess the relief cuts make less of a difference on these steel plates since they're so much stiffer by themselves already that even with there being only a little piece connecting the inner and outer regions of the plate it didn't significantly impact it.

Look, here are two brass plates I have had done:

234817-0

Yes, I also have had brass plates made, just to get to know the difference. Same relief cuts. Although I have not jet made a complete build with it, I can tell that there is almost no noticeable different compared to the same plate in steel (I don't have it with the superlong and winded cut, that I can't compare atm). Brass feeling so much better is a totally overblown statement that many take much too serious. I bet that in a blind test of two boards that are built identical (same case, switches, caps) with the only difference being one has a brass the other one a steel plate, most would not be able to tell them apart. Some who make a lot of builds may be able to.

IMO the difference between brass and steel is negligible. Though to be fair and like I have mentioned, I haven't done a complete build with the brass plate jet, so there is still a possibility my opinion on this might shift a bit, but I doubt it would be much.

Apart from feel, what I personally don't like about having a brass plate in my keyboard is the fact that the golden shiny look makes me think of a rapper showing me his gold teeth. That gold bling bling looks terrible to me. I know, it is possible to bead blast the brass plate so it will loose the reflectivity and then further give it a black coating. But that is quite pricy and the small difference in feel would not justify that imo, not for a custom that aims to be more affordable. For a very high end custom, yes, sure, every bit of improvement, even if it is just small, is justified.

Is structural integrity a bit concern?

NO, it is not a concern. Not at all. If it would be, I would make changes. This thing is brutal.
Just look a chart that compares the density or weight of metals. Compare alu to steel. Oh, and when you look at that chart, please also compare steel to brass ;)

Before the GB starts, will send the protos to reviewers who can give their opinion about the board, so you don't need to rely on my word.

I totally appreciate your questions, they are totally reasonable to ask and should be ask. Thanks.

« Reply #540 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 15:59:25 »
I may not have looked hard enough but are there any pics of the bottom of the boards? Just curious as to where the bumpon/feet will be and how it'd sit on the desk.

too dark and late here now for pictures. will have pics of the bottom probably by sunday or monday.

« Reply #541 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 16:03:40 »
from my understanding there will be no more early bird rounds, after three prototypes the next step will be the GB.

yes, there is nothing left to be changed now. just if the pcb for the 75% looks to be ready in time I might have to do a quick proto of that size as well. other than that I'm making preparations for the gb. but these preparations take some time as well.

Offline benfrain

• benfrain.com
« Reply #542 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 17:21:34 »
Personally agree on the brass plate aesthetic. I know some like it but I also dislike it. Have it on a build I’m doing at the minute and feel it cheapens the look.

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #543 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 20:31:56 »
I guess the relief cuts make less of a difference on these steel plates since they're so much stiffer by themselves already that even with there being only a little piece connecting the inner and outer regions of the plate it didn't significantly impact it.

Look, here are two brass plates I have had done:

(Attachment Link)

Yes, I also have had brass plates made, just to get to know the difference. Same relief cuts. Although I have not jet made a complete build with it, I can tell that there is almost no noticeable different compared to the same plate in steel (I don't have it with the superlong and winded cut, that I can't compare atm). Brass feeling so much better is a totally overblown statement that many take much too serious. I bet that in a blind test of two boards that are built identical (same case, switches, caps) with the only difference being one has a brass the other one a steel plate, most would not be able to tell them apart. Some who make a lot of builds may be able to.

IMO the difference between brass and steel is negligible. Though to be fair and like I have mentioned, I haven't done a complete build with the brass plate jet, so there is still a possibility my opinion on this might shift a bit, but I doubt it would be much.

Apart from feel, what I personally don't like about having a brass plate in my keyboard is the fact that the golden shiny look makes me think of a rapper showing me his gold teeth. That gold bling bling looks terrible to me. I know, it is possible to bead blast the brass plate so it will loose the reflectivity and then further give it a black coating. But that is quite pricy and the small difference in feel would not justify that imo, not for a custom that aims to be more affordable. For a very high end custom, yes, sure, every bit of improvement, even if it is just small, is justified.

Is structural integrity a bit concern?

NO, it is not a concern. Not at all. If it would be, I would make changes. This thing is brutal.
Just look a chart that compares the density or weight of metals. Compare alu to steel. Oh, and when you look at that chart, please also compare steel to brass ;)

Before the GB starts, will send the protos to reviewers who can give their opinion about the board, so you don't need to rely on my word.

I totally appreciate your questions, they are totally reasonable to ask and should be ask. Thanks.

Thanks so much for getting into this with me I am not trying to question or doubt your work just understand for myself!

Have you done that kind of blind testing for aluminum vs brass/steel? The other case that I saw using this similar style of relief cuts on the plate (the community seems to refer to it as leaf spring) was the thermal. That board used aluminum in its plates. I don't know if that decision was for the reasons you described but I wouldn't be surprised. The stiffer the base material the less important having the bridge that connects the inner/outer pieces of the plate be thin is. Hope that makes sense!

« Reply #544 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 10:56:12 »
Have you done that kind of blind testing for aluminum vs brass/steel?

Alu, no haven't tried one for this project. I have ever only used an alu plate once. No side by side comparison. It is really difficult to quantify the difference if you don't compare them in the same kind of builds side by side, I think. In theory (comparing density of the materials) alu should let you feel more of a difference compared to brass/steel. Apart from the plate feeling, I can compare the SKB1 (which was made of alu) against the SKB2 (which is made of steel but also slightly different construction). The difference is absolutely huge, it is something completely different.

The other case that I saw using this similar style of relief cuts on the plate (the community seems to refer to it as leaf spring) was the thermal. That board used aluminum in its plates. I don't know if that decision was for the reasons you described but I wouldn't be surprised. The stiffer the base material the less important having the bridge that connects the inner/outer pieces of the plate be thin is. Hope that makes sense!

Yes, I've seen the term "leaf spring" being used for this kind of cut. I googled leaf spring but what I find is something different. The way I see it, this term does not apply here. How do I think would this cut behave in alu? Hard to say, I think it would be more fragile and break easily, but I can't really say.
Yes, the relation of stiffness & thickness makes sense to me. I just think that what is correct in theory does have a much lesser impact in reality than one might expect. Also keep in mind that we are not typing on just the plate itself. After the plate is sandwiched between switches and pcb, that entire thing becomes something very compact and the effect of the plate material is less noticeable probably for that reason as well.

Let me clarify that I don't think brass is generally something ugly to me. Seeing a nicely treated brass plate by itself or as weight in a milled alu bottom piece is always absolutely astonishing to watch, it's hard not to like that. Just the shiny brass reflecting between plastic keycaps is what does not fit for me. I prefer the classic beige stuff most of the time, this just isn't a good match with the look of brass. However there are keycap sets that do indeed look good with a brass plate peeking through. So, in the right combination, even I would appreciate a brass plate :)

Offline cadrev

« Reply #545 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 15:30:59 »
Can we have a typing video? I want to know how it sounds like :D

Offline Bl4ck

« Reply #546 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 15:39:13 »
Would you be able to use something like a ISO HS60 v3 with this case/plate combo?

Offline Handke

« Reply #547 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 07:24:58 »
This project is fantastic, but I'm not sure that I'll join it for a simple reason, I hate bezels.

Right now I'm using a bezel-less gmmk keyboard, and it's such a joy to use when compared to a keyboard with a bezel, like the g80-3000. With that keyboard, my left-palm constantly touches the border, and when you rest your hands that border becomes really annoying. I wonder if the skb2 has the same problem of a g80. Judging by the dimensions it has. Correct me if I'm wrong! thanks

Offline rinkaan

« Reply #548 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 08:48:57 »
I think bezels are nice tho! If resting off the bezels are tough then we can always make them bigger and nicer to rest on! :)

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #549 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 11:09:47 »
This project is fantastic, but I'm not sure that I'll join it for a simple reason, I hate bezels.

Right now I'm using a bezel-less gmmk keyboard, and it's such a joy to use when compared to a keyboard with a bezel, like the g80-3000. With that keyboard, my left-palm constantly touches the border, and when you rest your hands that border becomes really annoying. I wonder if the skb2 has the same problem of a g80. Judging by the dimensions it has. Correct me if I'm wrong! thanks
You're describing pretty unhealthy typing posture. Your palm shouldn't really be below the height of the keys when typing. Instead of searching for keyboards that accomodate your posture, you could try changing your posture a bit. Ideally there's a relatively straight line from your arm to your hand. In addition to more healthy wrists, you also get the advantage of being able to use big bezel bad boy boards like this one.