Author Topic: Current Model M Prices  (Read 4765 times)

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
Current Model M Prices
« on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 06:08:50 »
I've been out of the "scene" for the most part since all of the trouble here last year. Now that everything looks stable I'm trying to get back into the swing of things.

One thing that I'm having trouble figuring out is the current pricing for model m(s). What gives? Up until 8-12 months ago you could easily find used m(s) for $25-$50 tops (and $50 was often laughable) and NIB Ms were going for about $100-$130 tops.

Is there some new Model M movement, are hipsters snatching them up to be nostalgic (ironically of course), or has Ripster cornered the market to make all GHers PAY for the permaban (lol)?

Seriously, other than NIB potentially becoming harder to find, why has the price go up so much on the used ones? There has to be several tens of thousands of them still out there and compared to the size of the enthusiast community it doesn't seem the demand would be very high.

I've seen used ones posted here for ~$140, REALLY?
SSKs for everyone!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Current Model M Prices
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 07:47:01 »
Who knows? It is all crazy.

Less than a year ago I had an immaculate bolt-modded 1992 blue label that I tried to sell here and on ebay. I started at $100 and after several weeks of steadily dropping prices, I finally sold it on ebay for about $55.

Having owned a couple of dozen Model Ms of all ages, I can tell you that there are distinct differences but still within a rather narrow band of variation. If you have never used buckling springs, buy a Unicomp with native USB and Windows keys. If you like "classic" and/or "collectable" stuff, there is tons of classic IBM hardware out there.

The parallel thread "Thinking about buying a Unicomp" shows just how wild it has gotten.

But that is all moot. After moving past the neophyte stage, anybody who is serious about using buckling springs is probably on a Model F.

Flame on, haters!
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 July 2013, 07:50:45 by fohat.digs »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 07:52:52 »
I got my M for $30 shipped. It needed some care for it and it was missing the Tab key, but it was still very decent. Ebay seems like the prices are really high. I often see recyclers with 15 listings for model M's at $50 a pop if not more for the crappiest looking model M's I've seen.

I don't really need another model M, but if I find one for cheap, then I'll buy just encase, one day I do need it. I doubt they'll ever be going down in prices so.....
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 08:15:20 »
I have one that I bought from a client. They had an extra for their old (but still chugging away) IBM AIX box.

Most of the ebay prices are really high, but what really surprises me are the prices at clickykeyboards. $90 used $200 new. Almost double from a year ago.

What's the going average rate for an SSK?
SSKs for everyone!

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 08:16:54 »
I have one that I bought from a client. They had an extra for their old (but still chugging away) IBM AIX box.

Most of the ebay prices are really high, but what really surprises me are the prices at clickykeyboards. $90 used $200 new. Almost double from a year ago.

What's the going average rate for an SSK?

$150-$220 depending on condition.

I paid $190 shipped for mine, but it had a blank set included with it.

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 08:54:59 »
I guess the SSK I bought for $170 wasn't too bad then. Seemed pretty high but worth it to me as long as it is as advertised. We'll see when it gets here.

Wish I had saved the ones I had way back when.  ;D
SSKs for everyone!

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 09:00:33 »
But that is all moot. After moving past the neophyte stage, anybody who is serious about using buckling springs is probably on a Model F.

I haven't see one of those in "the wild" since I was a kid. Maybe I'll get another F one of these days (if I can even find one.) I think these Ms will hold me over for a while.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 09:03:44 »
I noticed the prices going up too. My theory is that with the expansion of the mechanical keyboard market, more and more people are seeking out the original beloved mechanical board. There are only so many of the classic Ms to go around.

TL;DR Supply & demand.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 09:09:01 »

I haven't see one of those in "the wild" since I was a kid. Maybe I'll get another F one of these days (if I can even find one.) I think these Ms will hold me over for a while.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=330949585131

There was a second with BIN, so I jumped on it because of fohat.digs' evangelism.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 09:10:31 »

Clickykeyboards used to sell for about twice the going ebay rate. I have never bought anything but parts from them, but always assumed that they sold good clean, solid, tested gear, but some people here have indicated that they don't spend much time sprucing up their merchandise.

Buying on ebay is a crap shoot, but I have had good luck. Probably a third has been quite nice, at least a third serviceable but filthy, and the rest anywhere from easily repairable to hopelessly wrecked. I was lucky that my first M was pristine and cheap, but my advice is that you might have to buy 2 (or more) to get what you want.

Buying used Model Ms on ebay is a "hobby" type affair for people who like to tinker. If you want a "sure thing" buy new Unicomp.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 09:44:12 »
There was a second with BIN, so I jumped on it because of fohat.digs' evangelism.

If your desk can accommodate something 56 cm wide, with 1277 square cm of area, and you don't mind it weighing 3.75 kg, then there is truly nothing to compare to an F-122. After you spend a couple of hours modding it at your work bench, and ordering and configuring a Teensy, of course.

Wimps, be gone!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 10:05:32 »
If you really look around you can get good deals. I paid $35 for a Model M 1390120 and paid $110 for an SSK. Both were from people on GH. I haven't had much luck on eBay though. For AT Fs, there was a recent eBay auction that some GHers were watching where the board went for $150. I almost sniped it but I just forgot about it.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 11:36:44 »

I saw both of those right as soon as they were posted on eBay and I wondered who got the BIN one. I had the high bid on the other one until my $50 was outbid. There haven't been any good F122's on eBay in a while, so I expect prices to go high.

For model M's, you can get one for $30 without too much trouble. I got my 1390120 (march 1986) for $26.81(shipped) but I had been looking for some time. If you are willing to be patient, you can still get a good deal.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 11:37:48 »

What was the BIN price?

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 11:42:18 »
$89 plus $21 shipping. Seemed like a good deal since the seller said it was tested and fully functional.

I am curious to see how high the other one goes.

How many of the F 122 keyboards were made, total? Anyone know? I'm sure a lot of them must have ended up in the electronics recycle bin or landfill after the corresponding computer systems became obsolete.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 11:43:12 »
$89 plus $21 shipping. Seemed like a good deal since the seller said it was tested and fully functional.

I am curious to see how high the other one goes.

How many of the F 122 keyboards were made, total? Anyone know? I'm sure a lot of them must have ended up in the electronics recycle bin or landfill after the corresponding computer systems became obsolete.

That's more than a decent deal on a F122

However, it's just too big for my desk :(

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 11:47:02 »
If I decide I need any more I'll be sure to take my time looking around for a good deal. Those F-122 are cool but about the size of and aircraft carrier. My desk should be able to handle the F PC AT better :)

Dork - love the signature. So true, so true.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 11:59:40 »

Fortunately, I've got lots of room. I can't wait to bring it to work to use for a while in place of my Model M. Everyone is going to think I've lost my mind -- at least until I let them take it for a spin, maybe. :))

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 12:13:33 »

Fortunately, I've got lots of room. I can't wait to bring it to work to use for a while in place of my Model M. Everyone is going to think I've lost my mind -- at least until I let them take it for a spin, maybe. :))

I wish I had a desk that would let me have a F122 (I will, once I get done building it) but a F AT will have to do once I buy one (this F AT is from the tour)

Offline wcass

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 16:33:59 »

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 17:23:53 »
I've actually spotted an IBM keyboard that may be even larger than the F122! I want it of course.
Hard to say haw many exist. They started making them in 1984(I think, this is based on the 6110668 and 611034* serial numbers and dates) (though the unsaver has been around since before that)  and quit making them not too lang after that (look at PN/s for the older style M 122 cases, they appeared in the later 1980's) which doesn't leave too much room for F production, which I belive stopped in the very late 1980's

If I decide I need any more I'll be sure to take my time looking around for a good deal. Those F-122 are cool but about the size of and aircraft carrier. My desk should be able to handle the F PC AT better :)

Dork - love the signature. So true, so true.
It's actually a quote from the tech support / sysadmins mailing list at my local university. He is referring to a specific person, and the discussion was about changes to the wifi security, my opinion of which will not be aired here.

Below is the quote, as I plan to change it in a few days/weeks when I see another good one
The biggest threat to information security -- by far -- is the deep and rampant ignorance of the average IT professional, fueled by others who are ignorant or benefit from that ignorance.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 19:03:07 »
That's more than a decent deal on a F122

You would have thought so. I had almost decided to sell one of mine, but when poxeclipse's incredibly pristine one went all but ignored and sold on one lowball bid, I knew that the market simply had not matured.

The rarity level of these is far higher than any Model M, except probably the industrial SSK (and the handmade quartz crystals, of course).

Offline UniClown

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 19:08:39 »

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 19:11:21 »
I would say the rarity on these is about the same as for 1388032's, you don't see them that much, but they aren't unheard of (Actual industrial SSK's are vanishingly rare, though unicomp did have a stock of the industrial SSK covers.)

I see plenty of room on the_beast's desk for an F122.

As far as pricing, My expected payment on one of these is only so high, as I already have one, and would only use the second as a spare (or to modify).

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 19:26:48 »
I would say the rarity on these is about the same as for 1388032's, you don't see them that much, but they aren't unheard of (Actual industrial SSK's are vanishingly rare, though unicomp did have a stock of the industrial SSK covers.)

I see plenty of room on the_beast's desk for an F122.

As far as pricing, My expected payment on one of these is only so high, as I already have one, and would only use the second as a spare (or to modify).

I don't want it on the glass since it's super high and uncomfortable to type on at that height ;(

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 21:21:54 »
I honestly believe the price is up in some of these due that the restoring/ cleaning part is accounted for in the price from clickykeyboards so I can understand the price there. However , the whole 90 dollars for a model M that looked like it was ranover is just people trying to get slick on ebay. Like if you check everyday , a post or two may come up for a model m at good price in good condition but they get bought fast.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 21:29:34 »
I don't disagree with you Duck, but a year ago it was common to see these at least a 1/3 cheaper than now regardless of condition or labor. Now I guess you can still get a good price, but you have to look a lot harder.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 21:40:01 »
I wish I had known earlier I would save so much money for that price. I have found 2 good deals on White logo and Silver Logo Model Ms. Under 75 dollars including shipping and tested (according to the sellers) and I am waiting for them. But I spend a good amount of time looking for them and checking on ebay.
I like the quality and security clickykeyboards give but the prices are high for me.

Also some ebay posts say cleaned and the picture you see obvious dirtiness on the keys o.O

I was mad when I saw AS IS model M's on ebay for 50+ plus like 15+ shipping  :mad:
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 July 2013, 21:43:12 by DuckNorris »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 22:16:59 »
Also some ebay posts say cleaned and the picture you see obvious dirtiness on the keys

I take it as a given that I am going to completely disassemble and clean a keyboard from ebay, so I do not even blink at the idea of mere dirt.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 22:20:56 »
Also some ebay posts say cleaned and the picture you see obvious dirtiness on the keys

I take it as a given that I am going to completely disassemble and clean a keyboard from ebay, so I do not even blink at the idea of mere dirt.

Yea, the cheap model M I got was pretty dirty. I just soaked all the parts in warm soapy water over night, it looked brand need in the morning with just a bit of scrubbing

Offline Endzone

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 03:26:17 »
errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrere ya go.  It sure looks pretty in the picture anyway:

http://wichitafalls.craigslist.org/sys/3911593831.html

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 08:38:14 »
errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrere ya go.  It sure looks pretty in the picture anyway:

http://wichitafalls.craigslist.org/sys/3911593831.html

Oh WOW, I was actually looking at that last night XD . Then I remembered Wichita Falls is a 2 hr drive from Dallas :( . I thought it was a very nice deal.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 10:03:45 »
I put a bid in on an M2. I'd like to see what one of those is like, even though the seller said that a couple of keys may not be working right. I had to ask him that in a question because it wasn't in the listing -- only that it had all key caps.

Based on the M2's reputation, I'm shocked that the bids are already up to $51 with over a day left!

Offline morpheus

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 10:11:48 »
I got mine for $40 on ebay, all the keys were fine except the Backspace key which felt stiffer, probably a defect from much usage. I wish it was lighter and smoother like the other keys, but like other people said, buying on ebay is a crapshoot.

Offline rao2100

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 11:00:08 »
I got my SSK for $285 from a local guy who moved to kinesis .
It was bolt nodded and in pristine condition.
a.k.a "snooki "
| KMAC LE Vintage Blues | LZ-S Ergo Clears | Filco TKL MJ2 Ninja Reds | CM QFR - Blues | IBM Model M SSK 1991 |

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 15:22:10 »
I got my SSK for $285 from a local guy who moved to kinesis .

I hope to one day have the option to buy mkawa's SSK revival board for less than that.  :p

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 21:04:40 »
Actually there is a person living 20 min away from me selling a mint , new condition SSK that looks like it was ordered from clickykeyboards for  about $200 dollars(barely even touched), he even threw in the adapter. However, that is pretty high for me and as much valuable as the SSK is here, I cannot afford that nor do I need it since I have to use the 10key.

Basically a SSK dreamers deal but too bad it wasn't for my own good.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 21:09:26 »
Actually there is a person living 20 min away from me selling a mint , new condition SSK that looks like it was ordered from clickykeyboards for  about $200 dollars(barely even touched), he even threw in the adapter. However, that is pretty high for me and as much valuable as the SSK is here, I cannot afford that nor do I need it since I have to use the 10key.

Basically a SSK dreamers deal but too bad it wasn't for my own good.

Buy it and trade up. Geekhackers love to trade, and these are always solid currency.

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 21:27:38 »
Thought about that for a bit but I legitly have like no cash in any shape or form XD. I did though get a DSLR camera sent in mint condition from the manufacturer for $160 that usually costs $550 so I went with that since it was more suited for my needs. I already bought 2 Model M's , both also IBM made and one had a silver label. I need tenkey.  I did forward that in the listing threads though :)

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 21:30:22 »
Thought about that for a bit but I legitly have like no cash in any shape or form XD. I did though get a DSLR camera sent in mint condition from the manufacturer for $160 that usually costs $550 so I went with that since it was more suited for my needs. I already bought 2 Model M's , both also IBM made and one had a silver label. I need tenkey.  I did forward that in the listing threads though :)

Is it just the camera body? I'm looking for a good camera for cheap :D

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 21:47:02 »

Is it just the camera body? I'm looking for a good camera for cheap :D

It is just the body, the lens will cost me $50 that regularly comes with it ( found a good price) standard original lens. It was in a Fry's , I work as Sony Representative and the department manager asked me about it since he was going to buy it and it was never really used and had just come from the Sony facility and I told him about it. He didn't know about lens/and all the accesories and was not as interested. Gave it to me, got them to take off 40 dollars more and boom it is a deal :) .

Beats the Canon T3i, T4i, and Sony 58k(all about $500+). Whole camera is practically new. Sorry though, only one in the entire Fry's chain that was available.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 21:49:12 »
They were $15-$20 used like a year ago.  I think there just a few people here trying to inflate the prices.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 22:47:24 »
I bought a lovingly refurbished 4/1986, silver logo,  old school BIG bottom label Model M on eBay in 2009. Because of this thread, I just checked records, and it cost me 50 bucks when I bought it. So yeah, they have gone up quite a bit since then. I'm sure I could get at least $100 for it today.  It's immaculate. I use it as my daily driver at work.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 22:50:20 »
They were $15-$20 used like a year ago.  I think there just a few people here trying to inflate the prices.

Nice conspiracy theory, but there are currently around 50 eBay auctions in process for Model Ms. If someone is trying to corner the market,  they sure have some deep pockets!

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 22:51:31 »

I see a lot of crappy/dirty model M's being sold be e-waste recyclers for super high prices ($50-$150), so I'm going to blame them :D

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 22:54:11 »
Maybe they caught on that Geekhackers will pay anything for a dirty old keyboard.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 08:17:00 »
"Completed Listings" are far more realistic than asking prices.

What interests me is the relationship between a used IBM and a new Unicomp.

Until recently, a "common" used M went for roughly half the new price. Suddenly that jumped up.

I understand why it happened in the Model F market - Soarer's Converter, overnight, made it easy and fun.