Author Topic: Vim colour scheme  (Read 4393 times)

Offline vyshane

Vim colour scheme
« on: Sat, 21 March 2009, 05:19:00 »
I've made a Vim colour scheme and thought I'd share it here. I'm calling it vylight. It's meant to be used with gvim or MacVim.

I was after a subtle colour scheme with a light background. Something that looks like it belongs in my OS X environment. Here's a screenshot showing text selection, text search, and highlighting in comments:

Omni completion:

PHP example, JavaScript example.

You can download it here. To use it, copy the file to your ~/.vim/colors/ directory, and do ":colorscheme vylight" in Vim.

[Edit: fixed broken links]
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 July 2010, 09:57:40 by vyshane »

Offline DarthShrine

• http://blog.darthshrine.com
Vim colour scheme
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 21 March 2009, 05:27:38 »
Very nice. I may have to check out using vim a bit more seriously with this!
Das Keyboard Ultimate
IBM Model M 1391401 (born in 1990)
Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2

Offline Xuan

Vim colour scheme
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 21 March 2009, 15:33:11 »
Congratulations, it looks like it belongs to a mac.

btw, white background hurts my eyes,  I use zenburn which is a low contrast scheme, I'm very happy with it.

Offline vyshane

Vim colour scheme
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 21 March 2009, 16:04:06 »
Zenburn was a favorite of mine when I first tried Textmate. Since then, I've migrated towards a modified (lower contrast) version of ir_black. I've been very happy with it. I use it for my terminal colours and Vim sessions that run in the terminal.

I've never been happy with the Vim colour schemes with light backgrounds though. So I made my own. I like to alternate between light and dark backgrounds.

Offline vyshane

Vim colour scheme
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 04 November 2010, 02:06:38 »
Thread resurrection day. I've made the yang to vylight's ying, and it's called vydark. Obligatory preview screenshot:

Grab it from here.

Offline SirClickAlot

• http://www.mrinterface.com
Vim colour scheme
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 04 November 2010, 02:54:18 »
Thanx for that config script. It looks very usable indeed ( I am also more of the yang kind : i.e. black background vi-ing )

Regards.
[Succes is when you get what you want
Happiness is when you want what you get]

Optimize your interfaces : http://www.mrinterface.com
Currently using( not necessarily my favorite : I iterate over my collection many times ):
Filco White Majestouch Mx Brown DS White on Black.
Looking for : New and interesting interfaces. Working on :www.deskthority.net

Offline instantkamera

Vim colour scheme
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 04 November 2010, 06:06:21 »
it are pretty ...
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline aknagi

Dark Theme
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 17 November 2010, 06:21:44 »
Nice themes, thanks guys. I like to use a light theme when root, but I find darker one less fatiguing; especially coding late at night with the lights out.

Here's the theme I've been using, which is a tweak of one by Yann Golanski. I've been meaning to do a more to it, as I think the pop-out Omni Completion window could be improved but here it is anyway:

Aknagi,
BTW - I had to add a .txt extension to get the file to upload, so don't forget to remove it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 November 2010, 06:25:08 by aknagi »

Offline kps

Vim colour scheme
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 17 November 2010, 09:09:26 »
I mostly just distinguish comments and highlight errors, since I find most syntax colouring distracting -- if everything is highlighted, nothing is.

While probably no one wants exactly my colour scheme, my terminal-adaptive helper function might be of interest to those who mix vim and gvim or multiple terminal types: it maps RGB colours to the nearest available terminal colours.

Offline vyshane

Vim colour scheme
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 17 November 2010, 18:55:07 »
Quote from: kps;248020
[...] -- if everything is highlighted, nothing is.

Totally agree with you. I consciously limit the number of colours I use in my own colour schemes.

Offline Tavisto

Vim colour scheme
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 17 November 2010, 23:30:28 »
I really like your vydark theme and will have to apply that to my Macvim setup.

I have my command line setup to be black background with green text and then highlighting on top of that where needed.

I really think that syntax highlighting makes everything more efficient as far as quickly understanding some text. Being able to notice different meanings of text at a glance is worth a lot in any context.
Filco Majestouch - Cherry Browns
Rosewill HK-9000 Cherry Blues
Logitech Performance Mouse MX  -Darkfield
Microsoft Intelimouse 1.0A - Optical