Author Topic: [GB]KBDfans 5° 60% aluminum case ---All orders are shipped  (Read 79194 times)

Offline ian13

Re: [GB]KBDfans 5° 60% aluminum case
« Reply #300 on: Tue, 24 April 2018, 09:11:33 »
Does the WKL b.face pcb fit in this case? I'm planning to buy this case but a bit hesitant because b.face might not fit.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #301 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 11:26:21 »
Is there such a case that is 65% that has the arrow cluster?

Offline lecorsair

« Reply #302 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 12:04:18 »
KBDfans has a 65% case for the TADA, not sure if the mounts are universal though - infact not sure if there's a universal 65% mount standard yet.

You can also build a 60% with arrows cluster:

« Last Edit: Wed, 25 April 2018, 12:10:23 by lecorsair »

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #303 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 14:19:40 »
KBDfans has a 65% case for the TADA, not sure if the mounts are universal though - infact not sure if there's a universal 65% mount standard yet.

Interesting! for the 60% to have arrow cluster, is hand wiring or some modding needed or the PCB will support this layout? thank you!

Offline lecorsair

« Reply #304 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 17:07:08 »

[/quote

Interesting! for the 60% to have arrow cluster, is hand wiring or some modding needed or the PCB will support this layout? thank you!

Just the pcb and plate need to support it. I also find QMK support immensely helpful in customizing the keys function. For example, the shift key is only "shift" when held down and "/?" When tapped, in keeping muscle memory where those keys should be.

Offline helpful

« Reply #305 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 23:38:47 »
I dont know if it has been asked but is there any plans for 65% or 75% 5 degree?

Offline DMacKB

« Reply #306 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 01:31:07 »

Hi buddy, check out the DZ60 on kbdfans. Supports arrow cluster 2 diff ways, split space bar and lots of good stuff. They can build it for you also.

Offline kokoon

« Reply #307 on: Fri, 04 May 2018, 05:35:07 »
I don't know if anyone else has observed, but the 5° case has been revised since it first came out.  I got one of the original pre-order cases, and it had 9 standoffs with screws.  I got two later ones that each have the standard 6 standoffs, but they've added three "ledge" supports around the edge of the case.
Just got mine in black, together with the YD60BLE PCB and steel iso board that supports split spacebar. The 6 standoffs are actually really not enough, there's simply zero support in the bottom left of the case. To top it off, the PCB is pretty badly warped so insufficient standoffs pose an extra problem. But even with a straight board, I can't imagine typing on this, with the entire bottom left corner hanging in the air. I'm going to try to add some spacers under the board, other than that, the battery depression on the case has been moved to under where the connector is on the PCB, so the wiring can be shorter, I guess. Overall, I like the case, but am underwhelmed by this standoffs omission.

Oh, and by the way - it is stated on the product page, and indeed the YD60BLE sadly doesn't support split left shift (to accomodate full ISO layout). But this is due to an apparent design error - the mounting holes are there, the markings read "ISO \", but its rightmost mounting holes are offset for 0.125 to the left, making it unusable. The left variant (the one where the entire bottom row is shifted 1/4 to the left, to accomodate "/" + shift + arrows) actually looks usable, but I'm not interested in that one.

Offline kokoon

« Reply #308 on: Fri, 04 May 2018, 06:00:47 »
Okay, just found out that warped PCB is not the issue, but the battery connector is - the battery cutout on the case misses the connector for about 1cm so the board sits on it - the missing standoffs / bottom-left support is still an issue, but this is another issue if you're looking to build with YD60BLE.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #309 on: Sat, 05 May 2018, 00:56:29 »
Does the WKL b.face pcb fit in this case? I'm planning to buy this case but a bit hesitant because b.face might not fit.
Just tested it, the b.face fits in this case.

Offline kokoon

« Reply #310 on: Mon, 14 May 2018, 18:39:10 »
I made some measurements, maybe this can help somebody else (don't know where else to post it)

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #311 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 11:03:17 »
I’m too lazy to look back. Lol. Does the XD75re fit? I think I remember something about it fitting, but I’m not sure.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #312 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 11:12:44 »
I’m too lazy to look back. Lol. Does the XD75re fit? I think I remember something about it fitting, but I’m not sure.

Someone earlier in the thread says it does

The point of XD75 was to fit in standard 60% so it should anyway

Offline kokoon

« Reply #313 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 12:43:11 »
I made some measurements, maybe this can help somebody else (don't know where else to post it)
Show Image

FYI - this battery fits:

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #314 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 01:24:02 »
Show Image

FYI - this battery fits:
Show Image

what purpose would a battery serve in a keyboard that can't be used wireless. I mean there would need to be some sort of cut out or window for the wireless transmitter to transmit thought. It wouldn't be able to transmit thought the case or top plate and if it did mange to it be a very weak signal at best. I guess it is possible your going to route the transmitter above the plate thought that seems like a lot of work. I just wanted to point this out. I noticed a rash of people wanting to covert metal cases to wireless and its just not as easy nor as simple as people seem to think.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #315 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 01:39:31 »
Show Image

FYI - this battery fits:
Show Image

what purpose would a battery serve in a keyboard that can't be used wireless. I mean there would need to be some sort of cut out or window for the wireless transmitter to transmit thought. It wouldn't be able to transmit thought the case or top plate and if it did mange to it be a very weak signal at best. I guess it is possible your going to route the transmitter above the plate thought that seems like a lot of work. I just wanted to point this out. I noticed a rash of people wanting to covert metal cases to wireless and its just not as easy nor as simple as people seem to think.
The entire switch plate is filled with holes that are only covered with plastic switches. Considering phone makers only need to put two small bands for the radio antenna on metal phones, I’d say there’s a good chance the radio waves can still get out through the top. Unless you can link to someone building one that doesn’t work, I think it could still work and it’s worth trying.