Author Topic: If you could play a game again for the first time, what would it be?  (Read 27131 times)

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
I have been pretty picky on games lately. Been going back to old ones instead of getting new ones. This got me thinking about all of my favorite games.

If I could play a game again for the first time it would be Skyrim.

EDIT: I didn't even think about the pure ecstasy of playing Diablo 2 for the first time...

You?
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 January 2017, 16:47:30 by ArchDill »

Offline dante

Re: If you could play a game again for the first time, what would it be?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 18:23:38 »
Lunar the Silver Star on the Sega CD.  Yes there was an updated PSX version but I <3 the Sega CD port.

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 19:34:08 »
Morrowind. I got the game bundled with a motherboard a long time ago. It came in a crappy white unmarked paper sleeve, and I had no idea what the game even was. I installed it, and basically got off the ship and had no idea where the hell to go.
So for the next year of my life, I wandered around taking odd quests, finding dungeons, and collecting armor and weapons. I joined the thieves guild and had a blast.

But I never stepped a single foot into the main storyline. I never really knew where to go or what to do, so I made my own adventure. It was such a blast.

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 19:35:25 »
The original Pokemon R/G/B . It's been years but for some reason when I last played it , I remembered every single little thing about the game!

Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 19:40:01 »
Final Fantasy VII

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 19:41:47 »
UltimaOnline, the first year it came out.
got some great memories of that one.

Offline rabbitfire

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 19:41:53 »
Boom on NES  :cool:

Offline ambalek

• Pizza tonight/Threat neutralized
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 01:26:12 »
Probably GTA5, I'm one of the few people that actually likes playing the story.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 01:50:36 »
World of Warcraft, those original addicting days

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 03:24:03 »

Ah.. the days of carefree mmo playing..   

I didn't even understand the concepts of real life friendship at the time.. because I was so obsessed with MMOs.. didn't really make friends until college.

My entire perception of what a Relationship was back then,  is whether or not the person had the right character build to help the guild fight bosses..

I was on Ragnarok online the longest..  seconded by diablo 2 (not mmo)

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 05:07:35 »

I'm with you on this one. Transitioned from a ****ty RTS with a mess of people. The WoW world was amazing.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 05:36:15 »
Red Dead Redemption.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 05:44:18 »
I would play Dota 2. I long for the time when I didn't understand enough about the game for it to be frustrating yet, and every match held new heroes that I had never seen before. I still remember getting lost on the absurdly simple map.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 06:11:26 »
Morrowind. I got the game bundled with a motherboard a long time ago. It came in a crappy white unmarked paper sleeve, and I had no idea what the game even was. I installed it, and basically got off the ship and had no idea where the hell to go.
So for the next year of my life, I wandered around taking odd quests, finding dungeons, and collecting armor and weapons. I joined the thieves guild and had a blast.

But I never stepped a single foot into the main storyline. I never really knew where to go or what to do, so I made my own adventure. It was such a blast.

+1, my favorite game of all time

Diablo 1 would be a close second, and Mario 64
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 16:43:14 »
Left4Dead2  or Red Alert 2 Yuri's Revenge.
I still play the latter all the time, in fact it was one of my reasons for sticking with Windows for a few years.

I have hundreds of hours L4D2, but it pales compared to how much time I spent in Ra2.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 17:10:00 »
Left4Dead2  or Red Alert 2 Yuri's Revenge.
I still play the latter all the time, in fact it was one of my reasons for sticking with Windows for a few years.

I have hundreds of hours L4D2, but it pales compared to how much time I spent in Ra2.

Red Alert 2 was so awesome..

The only issue I had was how broken the AI was on the harder difficulty, and the only way to win was to blow up bridges..

Then the next red alert they locked it to 30fps , i mean why do that.. lame..

Tiberian Sun was when they really developed the system into a varied mix.. whereas in the old stuff it was a very similar 1:1 copy between factions..

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 17:32:34 »
SMW

Offline ygor

• eat a butt, monkey lord
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 17:40:44 »
King's Quest VI or Earthbound
I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 19:45:01 »
Am I the only one who thinks about replaying an RPG as tedious? It's like re-reading a book, RPGs are one and done for me as they are just so time consuming.

I'd probably love to replay Shadow of the Colossus or GTA 5 with fresh eyes. SotC had so many jaw-dropping moments, and every encounter was something new exciting and memorable. GTA 5 had such great dialogue and characters, and really getting to explore San Andreas the first time around was an unforgettable blast that took literal weeks.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 19:48:26 »
Honestly, Minecraft. I got to a point of no return which basically made it unplayable. I knew the most efficient way to do everything, and it took the fun out of it. I need to find diamond? Well go to Y14 (or whatever it was) and strip mine, instead of exploring naturally. The point where you have an answer for every single possible question becomes just a step by step guide to get what you want, instead of genuinely experimenting etc..

Offline Altis

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 20:07:23 »
Some old games that are still great today, IMO:

Starcraft: Brood Wars
Age of Empires II (HD edition still supported/updated, just got a new expansion)
Unreal Tournament (doubt there's much online multiplayer these days)
Morrowind
Diablo II

Sometimes I think it'd be fun to play an older game, only to find out that it's super boring/easy by today's standards. I played Dune II not that long ago and even though I remember it being fun as a kid, it was insanely easy now that I'm adjusted to playing more challenging games. Some are still fun, though, and probably always will be.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline ambalek

• Pizza tonight/Threat neutralized
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 01:20:55 »
Honestly, Minecraft. I got to a point of no return which basically made it unplayable. I knew the most efficient way to do everything, and it took the fun out of it. I need to find diamond? Well go to Y14 (or whatever it was) and strip mine, instead of exploring naturally. The point where you have an answer for every single possible question becomes just a step by step guide to get what you want, instead of genuinely experimenting etc..

Do you have a sensible strategy for defeating the Ender Dragon? I play it with my four year old son, and he's been talking about doing that for nearly a year

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 02:24:04 »
Am I the only one who thinks about replaying an RPG as tedious? It's like re-reading a book, RPGs are one and done for me as they are just so time consuming.

I'd probably love to replay Shadow of the Colossus or GTA 5 with fresh eyes. SotC had so many jaw-dropping moments, and every encounter was something new exciting and memorable. GTA 5 had such great dialogue and characters, and really getting to explore San Andreas the first time around was an unforgettable blast that took literal weeks.

GTA5 was good, but single payer jumped around too much, I would have rather been given the option to just play one character all the way through. I would no sooner get invested in a character and be yanked away for one of the others (Trevor.. ICK!).  And why no character customizing, all that effort and they still can't be bothered. Saints Row had it how long ago?

Another thing I found odd, maybe they geared it for multiplayer(?), but I swear I finished it in far less time than the previous games.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 02:46:32 »

After they started playing all them games for you on youtube.. I just watched all the rpgs.. because I don't like to grind.. it's stupid.. because you're just throwing your life away for a certain linear outcome.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 03:08:47 »
For me it would be Diablo 1. Ohhh I remember it like it was yesterday. Spending hours online, dropping an item on the ground, walking away, walking back and clicking on a potion in my belt duplicating the picked up item during the lag time. My favourite glitch ever.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 03:21:33 »

After they started playing all them games for you on youtube.. I just watched all the rpgs.. because I don't like to grind.. it's stupid.. because you're just throwing your life away for a certain linear outcome.

Best way to "play" Deadpool.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline XG3njiX

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 23:15:43 »
Either Diablo 2, Battle Realms or Age of Mythology

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 23:40:49 »

Ohh I actually just got Deadpool on PS4, is it not that great?

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 06 January 2017, 00:11:25 »
For me it would be Diablo 1. Ohhh I remember it like it was yesterday. Spending hours online, dropping an item on the ground, walking away, walking back and clicking on a potion in my belt duplicating the picked up item during the lag time. My favourite glitch ever.
Good times. I loved that game so much. I will never forge the day that Diablo 2 came out. I stayed at a friends house and we stayed up for like 2 days.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 06 January 2017, 02:55:15 »
I want to play quake 3 right ?

but no one else does.. 

sigh..............

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 06 January 2017, 02:58:19 »
Knights of the Old Republic

Offline sek1ne

• Sek-eye-n
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 06 January 2017, 03:10:44 »
Myst, WoW, pokemon red, or Fallout 3.
Biking is fun.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 06 January 2017, 03:48:41 »

Ohh I actually just got Deadpool on PS4, is it not that great?
It's funny, don't get me wrong, but it's much faster and easier to just watch someone do a walk through than sit grinding on it. It can really quickly get repetitive hearing the same joke over and over again if you get stuck.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 06 January 2017, 09:17:23 »
It's funny, don't get me wrong, but it's much faster and easier to just watch someone do a walk through than sit grinding on it. It can really quickly get repetitive hearing the same joke over and over again if you get stuck.

Psssssssshh.. Leslieann sux0rz at vidya..

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 06 January 2017, 09:30:25 »
Mine would have to Metal Gear on the NES, that is what made me a gamer right there. I liked video games before that but MG was the 1st game that truly sucked me in & I could not stop playing till I beat it. I was so into it I refused to use a game genie or save codes that gave you all the key cards & weapons. I would also give an honorable mention to KOTOR 1 & 2 as those games were just straight up masterpieces IMO.

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 06 January 2017, 09:59:31 »
Ultima Underworld I

Offline hanoipho

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 07 January 2017, 01:13:07 »
Contra from Konami  ;D

Offline RELLIK

• WTB Bro Power Core WASD Set...Still...
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 07 January 2017, 04:46:57 »
Probably older UT/Quake games with online. Grew up rural and missed out on all that stuff, and arena shooters arent seen as highly feels like. I also have this strange belief online play was better back then. Feel like now MP gaming is just about grinding X skin/perk/*insert virtual carrot*/etc.

SSX 3 on PS2 would be another. Xbox/GC never had online, and man I LOVED that game.

KUL-87        FC660M       Filco MJ2

Offline dmbldrk

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 07 January 2017, 05:31:32 »
xenogears for ps1. such a weird plot. such a good game.

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 14:11:15 »
It'd be fun to go back in time to the late 90s, with a cable modem, to participate in lots of multiplayer stuff I hadn't enough time to invest in. Total Annihilation, Planetside, Tribes, the early Counter Strike betas, Ultima Online etc etc. HL mods alone were so bloody good I'd go for a round or twelve of Zombie Panic and The Battlegrounds right now. 

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 15:22:51 »
My first time playing through Singularity was such a cool experience. Doubt it would have the same novelty now though
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 16:32:38 »
Quake 3

I switched from roller mice to optical and had no idea that spin outs were mostly equipment related. Rocket jump and throw up because 1080 degrees while looking at my boots

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 17:08:56 »
Morrowind

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 23:59:43 »
Earthbound, partially because the first time I played it thru I was 8 and couldn't get thru it without a walkthrough. (It is still tricky at times without it)

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 10:47:38 »
Earthbound, partially because the first time I played it thru I was 8 and couldn't get thru it without a walkthrough. (It is still tricky at times without it)

I look back and realize I must have been smarter as a kid because I tried to play Zelda on Gameboy last year and had to google EVERYTHING.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 11:07:57 »
I wish I had time/will to play Braid properly.

It's a great game, but it's supposed to be hard, and the story/point kinda depends on player's struggle with the harder puzzles. I'd be much more powerful, if I actually avoided using a walkthrough. Perhaps it's the Braid's major design shortcoming: many hardcore gamers don't get that much from the story, due to lacking background; and more casual gamers don't get it either, because they don't finish the game or "cheat".

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 02:09:50 »
HL2

There's a few I'd like to forget I have played before, but cutting it down to one it would have to be HL2.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline zslane

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 13:00:04 »
City of Heroes.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 13:28:44 »
I wish I had time/will to play Braid properly.

It's a great game, but it's supposed to be hard, and the story/point kinda depends on player's struggle with the harder puzzles. I'd be much more powerful, if I actually avoided using a walkthrough. Perhaps it's the Braid's major design shortcoming: many hardcore gamers don't get that much from the story, due to lacking background; and more casual gamers don't get it either, because they don't finish the game or "cheat".

Braid is a bad game, because it doesn't actually have substance or any sort of deep gameplay.

The entirety of the system is built on reverse solution recursion..

So there is no skill involved.  the formula behind the recursion was randomly determined.

It's the same as designing educational math problems.. you go backwards from a solution , and that's the end of it..

The Game play reward is the elation after long sequences of trial and error..

You don't learn anything, and you're not improving a skill..

That is why this game is a bad game..

The only time people play games which involve neither skill nor intellectual improvement are drug type games like Pokemon shuffle. 

Pokemon shuffle is at least fun, because it rewards you quickly, and proportional, to the trivial task you're asked to do..

Braid rewards you a very very long time later, next to the NON-trivial trial and error search function that's manually engaged in.. Which is stupid, since all the creators have done is throw darts into the forest and told us,  Go FIND IT..

No, i will not go find it... why would  I ?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 11:34:26 »
There are only two or three puzzles, that rely on hidden information or pixel precision. The rest is pretty doable, and reminds me of advanced math courses. The structure of puzzles within a zone is quite similar to a series of relatively simpler proofs.

My problem with Braid is that when I played it, I was basically doing so to let relax from doing actual math, hence the halfassed playthrough.