Author Topic: The best extended mousepad?  (Read 25573 times)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
The best extended mousepad?
« on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 06:35:54 »
I'm looking into extended mousepads (like 36x12 inch / 90 x 45 cm).

I'm now deciding between Glorious XXL (3mm thick), Reflex Labs (5mm thick), and Qck XXL (4mm thick).

Any experiences? Any advice to share? Does anybody have one of these?

There are many positive reviews but also many negative for either one of them (chemical odour, not laying flat even after days of unwrapping, too much friction, collects dirt easily). What is truth and what is fiction?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: The best extended mousepad?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 07:36:51 »
QcK doesn't have stitched edges (although I haven't had problems with that on anything but no-name $1 mousepads, personally), and the texture is very "slow" compared to other mousepads.

I've used neither Glorious XXL, nor anything from Reflex Labs (this is the first time I hear about them), but they look good on paper.

What I do use is C-Tech Anthea XL, which is ridiculously cheap (€7 in a local store), has all the bell and whistles (stitched edges, 4mm thickness, decent texture), and fits my tray perfectly (90×27 cm). The only downsides are the fugly red logo (but I usually have something covering it), and who knows how they've made it so cheap... but then again, there's no guarantee, that SteelSeries' or anyone else's suppliers don't use child labor and what not either.

Offline jennb

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 08:32:35 »
I've got the Glorious Extended Gaming Mouse Mat (both the black and the white, although not the 3XL size you're considering). No odor. Both folded out flat as expected. Both met my expectations, and I'd buy the mats again.

As for wear over time, I'm fairly easy on keyboards, mice, and mats and haven't noticed any wear yet. It's been about 6 months or so.
Keyboards: Code MX Clear, Minivan Aliaz switches
Keycap sets: DSA Granite, SA Ice Cep

Offline muten-roshi

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 12:44:30 »
I have the qck in different sizes and it is pretty good. I do not have any problems and use one of them daily since 2 years

Gesendet von meinem E5823 mit Tapatalk

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 12:46:24 »
go on ebay,  they got 1200mm pads for less than the glorious one..

Offline _BMW_M3_

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 20:41:18 »
Razer Overwatch of course :P
Dolphin v1 LE | TGR Jane | LZ Ergo

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 21:36:25 »
I have a TekMat. It's tough, feels great, and it's got a gun on it that makes it extra cool...

Would recommend.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline DAOWAce

• http://daow.net
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 15:46:54 »
There are many positive reviews but also many negative for either one of them (chemical odour..)
This is the problem I have.

Apparently I'm sensitive to rubber smells, because every mousepad I've tried to use in the last ~6 years has smelled absolutely toxic to me.  In fact, most rubber products do.

My QCK Mass I ordered in 2012 took many months to air out.  Its odor was offensive for weeks, and when it finally dissipated enough to where I couldn't smell it in the air, it still left a terrible smell on my hand whenever I used it (along with the mouse and desk). It took months from that point on to dissipate enough to where it had no smell anymore.  Though, still even after nearly 5 years I can still rub off a faint odor from the backing.

I've needed a new mousepad for quite some time now and finally settled on one (reflex labs pad, actually got featured in Linus' most recent handy tech video).  This one smelled so bad I couldn't even be in the same room with it.  I tried washing it countless times, soaking it in distilled white vinegar, baking soda, spraying down with essential oils, febreze and even that zero odor product.. nothing really changed the smell at all.  The company sent me one they've had sitting out on a table for 3 months (used for photos), the smell was reduced, but it still was unusable.

I've been trying to search for one that has no odor, but have come up empty so far.  It's not a very common issue people have, but it's there.

Maybe I can try to find a mousepad made with silicone backing instead of rubber..

Then the next question is friction.. which is a real thing:

Something that should be so simple is actually very difficult.  *sigh*

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 16:32:18 »
There are many positive reviews but also many negative for either one of them (chemical odour..)
This is the problem I have.

Apparently I'm sensitive to rubber smells, because every mousepad I've tried to use in the last ~6 years has smelled absolutely toxic to me.  In fact, most rubber products do.

My QCK Mass I ordered in 2012 took many months to air out.  Its odor was offensive for weeks, and when it finally dissipated enough to where I couldn't smell it in the air, it still left a terrible smell on my hand whenever I used it (along with the mouse and desk). It took months from that point on to dissipate enough to where it had no smell anymore.  Though, still even after nearly 5 years I can still rub off a faint odor from the backing.

I've needed a new mousepad for quite some time now and finally settled on one (reflex labs pad, actually got featured in Linus' most recent handy tech video).  This one smelled so bad I couldn't even be in the same room with it.  I tried washing it countless times, soaking it in distilled white vinegar, baking soda, spraying down with essential oils, febreze and even that zero odor product.. nothing really changed the smell at all.  The company sent me one they've had sitting out on a table for 3 months (used for photos), the smell was reduced, but it still was unusable.

I've been trying to search for one that has no odor, but have come up empty so far.  It's not a very common issue people have, but it's there.

Maybe I can try to find a mousepad made with silicone backing instead of rubber..

Then the next question is friction.. which is a real thing:

Something that should be so simple is actually very difficult.  *sigh*

On the matter of smell, I want to move from a regular mousepad to an extended one to cover my desk and to silence my keyboard further (the resonance of my desk because of the vibration that my keyboard passes onto my desk), but I now have 3 Roccat Hiro's and they are FKKING AMAZING.

They didn't smell (I know the smell you mean, I really like that smell because I'm weird, but I know the smell) at all. They also don't frail, which is a big plus. The ends of the top surface and the silicone rubber base are melted together. I can really confirm it doesn't frail, because I have one for 3 years and I use it daily at the office, the other one I have 2 years and I use it daily at home.

So if you want a good gliding (fps compatible), non-frailing, non-smelling mousepad: go for the Roccat Hiro. It's really that good.

Offline t_southwell

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 09:16:38 »
I have the glorious 3XL and it's amazing

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

FC660C, Model F XT, AT102W, Pok3r, DIY-71, Anne Pro, Tada68, Magicforce 49, CONTRA, Smith Corona XL1500

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 16:37:27 »
If anyone is in the US -- BestBuy has the Corsair MM300 on sale for $10.99. The height is shorter than most extended mats (~12in/300mm) but it's a good price and has reinforced edges if you tend to fray your mats easily.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-mm300-antifray-cloth-gaming-mouse-mat-gray-black/4800702.p

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 07:54:07 »
Thanks for all the replies and info.

Still, I believe the Glorious XL is the most attractive option. So time to check out how to get it to the Netherlands wtf.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 07:56:54 »
I prefer mousepads made of plastic. I can't stand the dirt on cloth mousepads.

I'm evaluating the following products:
corsair MM400  Mid-Sized: 352mm x 272 mm x 2mm 
steelseries 320mm x 270mm
Razer Destructor 2 Hard Gaming Mouse Mat 350mm*254  mm
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 January 2017, 08:26:46 by Giorgio »

Offline Heist

• Warchief of the Horde
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 09:54:17 »
I use the Glorious XL and it works great.  However, I use a separate mousepad for my mouse on top of that, Allsop Raindrop the OG :thumb:

Offline hanoipho

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 00:27:25 »

I use it too but not really sure if it's the best extended mouse pad. Anyone try mouse pad from zowie?

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 02:39:30 »
I want a mouse pad that isn't fabric. The fabric ones get so nasty and I actually hate the squishy rubber backing for feel...
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 04:03:01 »
I want a mouse pad that isn't fabric. The fabric ones get so nasty and I actually hate the squishy rubber backing for feel...

After reviewing many alternatives, I've ordered the Logitech g440.

Offline ReadmeDotTxt

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 00:06:32 »
I really liked the Steelseries 4HD and 9HD. They worked well when I didn't need a lot of mouse travel. I've been playing more FPS's lately so I switched to larger mousepads, no extended one yet. I remember seeing some really big aluminum ones. Didn't look too much into them because they were way out of budget.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 09:52:02 »
After all this and research online, STILL I haven't found something more appealing than the Glorious, so I'll probably try to get that and review it sooner or later.

Offline FLOCKA

• New name: ghostdeini
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 17:33:40 »
Anybody have the Satechi desk mat? (Amazon link)

It popped up in a reddit discussion a couple days ago and I really like how clean it looks. However, I'm really attached to the smoothness of my standard-sized Qck mousepad. Anybody know if this thing's fabric is coarse? My main concern is rubbing my wrist and fingers raw if there's too much texture on the desk mat.

Offline Alline Cliff

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 21:10:48 »

Offline nxtruong

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 08:41:57 »

using this one too. My first extended mouse pad  :cool:

Offline Viking_Robot

• Flickr
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 18:11:27 »
If anyone is in the US -- BestBuy has the Corsair MM300 on sale for $10.99. The height is shorter than most extended mats (~12in/300mm) but it's a good price and has reinforced edges if you tend to fray your mats easily.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-mm300-antifray-cloth-gaming-mouse-mat-gray-black/4800702.p

This is the best one I have used as well
Current Keyboards - TGR Jane CE WKL Blue Grey | TGR Jane v2 CE | TGR 910 RE | TGR 910 SE | TGR Alice/Police | TGR Tris | Keycult No2 TKL | Keycult No2 65 | Duck Octagon v3 Black | Duck Orion v3 WKL Silver |

Flickr

Offline Sniping

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 01:25:29 »
My glorious pad has treated me pretty well. I've had one since back when the brand was no-name and the owner was advertising his mousepads on reddit. Still going strong.

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 01:56:15 »
+1 for reflex labs. Quite thick so it doesnt slide and is comfortable for the wrists

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 01:59:24 »

Oh, dang. I bought this for $20 a couple of months ago.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 03:05:54 »
Got the HyperX extended mousemat myself.
I'm pleased with it.
Only problem is it's black so every spec of dust is visible on it. And we have 2 dogs so there will always be dust flying around.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 05:36:48 »
I live and die by my QCK pads. They and Icemats basically made Steelseries the brand they are.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 07:24:15 »
I like the Glorious pads. I used the XL for over a year and just switched over to the extended XXL. The stitched sides give it a nice finished look. The new branding is unobtrusive. It smelled like an industrial chemical plant when I first opened it, but this dissipated after two or three days.
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 13:57:42 »
I like the Glorious pads. I used the XL for over a year and just switched over to the extended XXL. The stitched sides give it a nice finished look. The new branding is unobtrusive. It smelled like an industrial chemical plant when I first opened it, but this dissipated after two or three days.

You mean it's dissipated AFTER it's given you cancer.. hahahahahhhahaha

Offline hanoipho

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 05:23:48 »

using this one too. My first extended mouse pad  :cool:

Bad mouse pad haha  :p

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 10:09:05 »
If you have unlimited budget, you can get a large sheet of titanium and have it cerakote'd.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 07:20:42 »
If you have unlimited budget, you can get a large sheet of titanium and have it cerakote'd.

I did understand nothing of that. Can you explain more? Sheet of titanium? cerakote'd? Bukaked? What now??

Offline gallowgeek

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 07:24:42 »
The Corsair MM300 is a great choice. But, you may also want to use the QcK extended edition by SteelSeries as a lot of pro gamers use the particular mousepad.

Offline Kronos32

• If you don't have time, make time.
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 15:37:47 »
A personal favourite that I've tried (but don't actually use) is the SteelSeries QCK XXL.
Perfect slide, very comfortable and has that perfect squish for a mousepad. Only downside to it though is that it gets ****ty rather easily, so if you plan on eating bread,chips or anything that crumbles real easy, then this might not be for you unless you don't mind cleaning it every so often.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 06 March 2017, 10:31:00 »
Anyone use a tekmat as an extended mouse mat? It's 12x36.

Any thoughts, I just ordered the Mosin Nagant mat.

Offline gallowgeek

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 12:23:34 »
Anyone use a tekmat as an extended mouse mat? It's 12x36.

Any thoughts, I just ordered the Mosin Nagant mat.

Same complaint my friend had with his SteelSeries QcK.xD But in terms of glide and performance, it is actually pretty good.

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 01:04:27 »
Just saw this on another site for the Pecham XXL Gaming Mousepad at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014CP231W

$9.99 - $2 off with EFX3JXJL = $7.99 and free shipping with Prime.

780mm x 300mm (~31" x 12")

Don't own it, but seems to have decent reviews if anyone is looking for a cheap one as a daily beater. Particularly if you eat over your keyboard area....(heresy!)
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 March 2017, 01:11:44 by cynviloq »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 17:38:37 »
Before XXL mousepads became common, I considered a desk pad, probably faux leather. (random link)

Anyone have experience with that?

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 19:37:52 »

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Zombii

• Let’s All Love Lain.
    • Let’s All Love Lain.
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 20:25:55 »
I'm currently using a Goliathus XL Control I stole from my brother when he got his new mousepad a while back. Unfortunately, my cat got to it and now it has some pretty big tufts popping up right in the mouse area. I need something with a braided/reinforced edge, or at least something that won't fray easily. Do the Glorious mats fray at the edge easily?

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 20:49:15 »
I'm currently using a Goliathus XL Control I stole from my brother when he got his new mousepad a while back. Unfortunately, my cat got to it and now it has some pretty big tufts popping up right in the mouse area. I need something with a braided/reinforced edge, or at least something that won't fray easily. Do the Glorious mats fray at the edge easily?

Mine have never frayed, but then I don't have any cats attacking mine either.  :p
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 20:52:31 »

Mine have never frayed, but then I don't have any cats attacking mine either.  :p

News Update..

Progamers train attack cats to mess up their competition's game.

Offline Zombii

• Let’s All Love Lain.
    • Let’s All Love Lain.
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 20:53:33 »

Yeah, unfortunately I looked away for one second and she jumps up on the desk and decides that my mouse pad would be a good place for her to make her bed...
Turns out cat claws are pretty adept at shredding mousepad fabric.

Offline nugglets

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 20:58:45 »
I have to also recommend the QCK pads. I've tried a bunch of different mats in various sizes and I always go back to my QCK.

The fact that they don't have stitched edges is a bonus, IMO. The absolute last thing I want is to make a huge swipe in a game and have my mouse bump a raised edge and jump. Having the stitched edge basically reduces the usable size of the mat to the distance between your sensor and the edges of your mouse, which is a solid 3" or more top and bottom on most mice.

And I've never had one of them fray on their own (no attack cats here).

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 22:25:00 »
I bought a cheap generic large fabric mousepad with stitched edges on eBay from China.
It reeked of rubber like an auto parts store. I washed it and hung it up to air for two weeks until the smell had dissipated enough to use, and I'm usually very picky about smells. Now I'm content with it.

Offline Captainbuttmonkey

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 18:01:10 »
and I'm usually very picky about smells.

Don't know why but for some reason I cracked up reading this part. It's like I can imagine you going through life commenting on unpleasant smells to different people and nobody else notices haha.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 21:29:29 »
While I know Op wants a wide pad, but you might want to consider the Razer Sphex.
It uses no rubber (no smell!), is paper thin, and the corners do not end up curled, it's the only hard pad I ever liked.

It's so thin, it's like not using a mouse pad, and since it uses adhesive to hold itself down, it doesn't slide everywhere.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 21:33:52 »
Just saw this on another site for the Pecham XXL Gaming Mousepad at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014CP231W

$9.99 - $2 off with EFX3JXJL = $7.99 and free shipping with Prime.

780mm x 300mm (~31" x 12")

Don't own it, but seems to have decent reviews if anyone is looking for a cheap one as a daily beater. Particularly if you eat over your keyboard area....(heresy!)

I have a Pecham, just as good as anything else.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 22:11:16 »
I've had both. I prefer the QCK over the Glorious. Glorious was pretty scratchy in comparison the the QCK. It was nice having the stitched edging on the Glorious, but TBH that stitching kinda hurts to rub your arm on all day.