Author Topic: Need a phone, should I hold out for Snapdragon 835 or not?  (Read 3863 times)

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
Need a phone, should I hold out for Snapdragon 835 or not?
« on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 07:54:29 »
I don't have a phone currently (By choice, haven't really needed one until now) and I was wondering if I should hold out for snapdragon 835 or just get a phone now?

If I get a phone now it'll be the oneplus 3t, so I guess I could sell it and buy a new phone if the 835 is worth it.

Is it a bad choice right now at the very least buy a new phone? or am I expecting to wait a little while for the new phones to enter the market?

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
Re: Need a phone, should I hold out for Snapdragon 835 or not?
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 15:44:04 »
lg v20 imo. i have a v10 still but my gf got a v20 and i am jealous every day of it

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 16:18:07 »
I don't have a phone currently (By choice, haven't really needed one until now) and I was wondering if I should hold out for snapdragon 835 or just get a phone now?

If I get a phone now it'll be the oneplus 3t, so I guess I could sell it and buy a new phone if the 835 is worth it.

Is it a bad choice right now at the very least buy a new phone? or am I expecting to wait a little while for the new phones to enter the market?

Realistically, you are gonna be looking at a year before that processor is used in phones.  There may be a phone or two that comes out in Q4, but I would imagine it wont be until Q1 2018.  If you need a phone now, I would suggest getting one and re-evaluating once the 835 arrives. 

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 16:23:27 »

Realistically, you are gonna be looking at a year before that processor is used in phones.  There may be a phone or two that comes out in Q4, but I would imagine it wont be until Q1 2018.  If you need a phone now, I would suggest getting one and re-evaluating once the 835 arrives. 

galaxy s8's coming THIS april with the 835..

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 17:20:04 »

Okay so I'm confused then. Wasn't the 835 just announced by Qualcomm?

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 17:33:21 »

They are in full production last I heard.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 17:42:39 »

Yeah I believe that. But it would be too late in the process for many manufacturers to incorporate it into a phone.

I could be wrong, but typically phones don't use a new processor so quickly. It's usually around a year or so. The pixel was one of the fastest to use the current generation last fall.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 17:48:06 »
95% sure s8 will be using the 835..

It's a qualcomm chip, but samsung produces them in their fabs... so i don't see why they wouldn't have the chip in time.

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 06:29:33 »
Would you consider a oneplus device?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 11:00:50 »
Would you consider a oneplus device?

Oneplus is really the only option right now.. all the other phones suck (for their price).. besides the iphone,

You can get a huawei, which is actually good given the specs,   but then all the girls will know you're poor..

Whereas if you own a oneplus, it's not --immediately obvious-- that we're poor.. hahahahahahaha

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 12:11:20 »

Yeah I believe that. But it would be too late in the process for many manufacturers to incorporate it into a phone.

I could be wrong, but typically phones don't use a new processor so quickly. It's usually around a year or so. The pixel was one of the fastest to use the current generation last fall.

That's if Samsung played fair...

http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/24/14367594/samsung-galaxy-s8-snapdragon-835-2017

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 20:04:09 »
Not even paying to prevent the competitors from getting better CPUs will help Samsungs not be bad as they are. They are a complete joke compared to LG V series. the V20 is a great looking and sounding phone. I have a v10 and my gf has a v20. I didn't even convince her.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 20:56:18 »
Not even paying to prevent the competitors from getting better CPUs will help Samsungs not be bad as they are. They are a complete joke compared to LG V series. the V20 is a great looking and sounding phone. I have a v10 and my gf has a v20. I didn't even convince her.

hahaha.. where's this bias coming from..

It's actually all pretty much the same in terms of utility..

The only obvious difference is price and aesthetics..

Which is why people are flocking to oneplus..  it's inexpensive and has all the things you actually use.. like the newest snapdragon , and i remember it also has the fastest storage architecture..

The only other feature comparison is camera..   Although I'd say this is niche, because all cellphone photos look crappy to me..

so you're down to, -- who has the best crappy camera --