Author Topic: Need help troubleshooting KBD75  (Read 2696 times)

Offline bert_teng

Need help troubleshooting KBD75
« on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 02:42:36 »
Hi folks,

I need your expertise in troubleshooting my seemingly dead KBD75. It was working for about a month until about last week where it just died over the weekend. Not even the LEDs are lit up when I plugged it in. QMK Toolbox says there is no device connected when I tried to reflash the board.

I don't think it's the solder joint but here is the link to the images in case I missed something. https://imgur.com/a/HIQtk6f

This is my first full build where I had to solder the switches in and so I don't even know where to begin to troubleshoot this problem.

Many thanks in advance!

Offline Mechboards

• * Vendor
  • Mechboards UK
    • Mechboards
Re: Need help troubleshooting KBD75
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 02:47:06 »
Hey you tried clicking the reset button while it's plugged in?

Offline bert_teng

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 02:56:37 »
Hey you tried clicking the reset button while it's plugged in?

I did and it didn't do anything. I even did a long press (about 10 seconds-ish) on the reset button just in case that would work but alas it did not.

Edit: typo

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 03:31:21 »
I would check the USB cable and USB port on the PC/HUB. I always try to trouble shoot the easiest most overlooked things first. I never ever assume someone has trouble shot the cable cause I use to tend to overlook them. The fact it worked fine for a month then suddenly out of the blue died has me thinking perhaps the cable was faulty or perhaps the port on the PC had issues. It also explain why the toolbox isn't seeing the board at all. 

Offline bert_teng

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 10:55:53 »
I would check the USB cable and USB port on the PC/HUB. I always try to trouble shoot the easiest most overlooked things first. I never ever assume someone has trouble shot the cable cause I use to tend to overlook them. The fact it worked fine for a month then suddenly out of the blue died has me thinking perhaps the cable was faulty or perhaps the port on the PC had issues. It also explain why the toolbox isn't seeing the board at all.

I tried a different cable that I have lying around and the toolbox is still saying "no device connected".

I then tried the original cable and plug it to an XD75. Cable is working fine as I'm using the XD75 to type this message.

Also, I just remembered another detail. Would a static shock destroy a keyboard?
Because just before I left the office for that weekend, I got a small static shock when trying to move my keyboard. I didn't think any of it at that time so I just left without typing anything to test if it was still working after that.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 15:19:48 »

I tried a different cable that I have lying around and the toolbox is still saying "no device connected".

I then tried the original cable and plug it to an XD75. Cable is working fine as I'm using the XD75 to type this message.

Also, I just remembered another detail. Would a static shock destroy a keyboard?
Because just before I left the office for that weekend, I got a small static shock when trying to move my keyboard. I didn't think any of it at that time so I just left without typing anything to test if it was still working after that.

Its unlikely but still very much possible if the keyboard wasn't grounded properly. Simply could be a dead PCB since we know the cable/port are working.