Author Topic: Has anyone created a list of keyboards with Cherry MX compatible key caps?  (Read 7060 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Forgive me if it is there, and my search did not find it.

I would like to know which junk boards might be worth buying at low prices to harvest caps. So far I have bought a couple of Packard Bell boards with nice clean caps, but I am afraid both turned out to be ABS.

I would buy an old Cherry brand board with white/beige/gray keys, especially doubleshots, but the model numbers are bewildering.

If someone has created a list/thread/wiki on this subject, would you please point me to it?

Thanks
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline pitashen

Has anyone created a list of keyboards with Cherry MX compatible key caps?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 09 December 2011, 21:52:58 »
Quote from: fohat.digs;467379
Forgive me if it is there, and my search did not find it.

I would like to know which junk boards might be worth buying at low prices to harvest caps. So far I have bought a couple of Packard Bell boards with nice clean caps, but I am afraid both turned out to be ABS.

I would buy an old Cherry brand board with white/beige/gray keys, especially doubleshots, but the model numbers are bewildering.

If someone has created a list/thread/wiki on this subject, would you please point me to it?

Thanks

If you talking about double shots, they are all ABS... My understanding is that there is no doubleshot done in PBT material
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline bloodygood

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 09 December 2011, 22:54:26 »
The advantage is that the double shot ABS won't have key lettering fade since the plastic IS the key lettering. I would say double shots are nice but I would still prefer blank PBT over ABS personally at least.
Current collection: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown, IBM Model M, Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite II, Dell AT101W.
Looking for: IBM Model M SpaceSaver, HHKB Topre keychain. >> Feedback Thread

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 20 December 2011, 18:35:54 »
Like so many things, an expert with deep and wide experience can answer questions off the top of the head, easily, while those without the experience have to muddle through one step at a time.

I plan to keep a list, whenever I gain enough entries to make it worthwhile, and I will gladly share it with this forum.

But, for example, I do not even know which Cherry-brand models have MX-compatible keys.

Anybody out there, if you know, toss off the first few that come to mind and respond to this post.

Thanks!
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 December 2011, 22:59:02 »
All the G80's are MX right? so they should be "mx compatible" by default. I haven't used any, but especially given the success of Quarzec's Cherry doubleshot groupbuy, I would say that the Cherry G81 (MY) should also be compatible.

Ripster's right: this information is in the wiki, though he's not nice enough to provide a link. I've always found the title of the wiki articles to be rather confusing.

Now here's the problem: a lot of older 'boards may work on the A-Z keys, but modifiers may be an issue. This is certainly true with WYSE

The cherry switch wiki gives some examples, but I notice they all seem to be modern keyboards.
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Cherry+Corporation+Switch+Wiki

Given the relative ease of keycap pulling, and the instantly-recognisable cherry cruciform, you may just want to instruct relatives in this art.
Although you may still end up with some oddballs. looking in the vintage switch wiki has pictures:
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Identify+That+Vintage+Switch+-+The+Geekhack+Switch+Reference+Wiki

For example: BTC, datanetics, chiconey, Marquardt, MEI, NEC (maybe futaba, seijin)
I think I read somewhere that the Marquardt ones are cherry compatible, some of those others may be as well, but I can definitely see the stems looking similar, which confuses things.

There is some sort of cherry product number-wiki, but I remember it being confusing.

I would also like to say that I notice the cherry section of the vintage switch wiki is "outsourced" to another article, which is currently not available. This is likely the reason Ripster didn't win that DT poll. Likewise, the "OTD" entry consists of a deleted GH attachment.

It's things like this that prove he's not the #1 wiki-maintainer on the planet. The jury's still out on "keyboard expert", ofcourse.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 21 December 2011, 20:10:04 »
Thanks.

Buying garbage keyboards to harvest the keycaps seems to be a popular hobby around here, and I figured that there are a lot of people with a lot of experience that I don't have (yet).

If I actually get my hands on a keyboard, I can pop a key and take a look for myself. So at salvage stores, yard sales, thrift stores, dumpsters, etc, it is not really an issue.

If something turns up on line, or somewhere out of my physical reach, I would want to know that I had a decent chance of getting what I wanted before I threw my money at it.

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 21 December 2011, 21:23:50 »
I bought a intergraph keyboard the other day for $3 and it had cherry compatible double shots the only bummer is that it was an ISO so I didn't get the ( |\ key). Thread
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 December 2011, 21:25:57 by whiskerBox »
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 21 December 2011, 22:55:33 »
Quote from: whiskerBox;475582
I bought a intergraph keyboard the other day for $3 and it had cherry compatible double shots the only bummer is that it was an ISO so I didn't get the ( |\ key). Thread
WAIT: That's not ISO!

Good find, though.

Me, I just look at older WYSE keyboards, and forget about the modifiers. I'd say that it's okay if you get some RD's if you are only paying $5 or so per keyboard, but bidding online for them, it's usually best to know if it's worthwhile, still I'd just post about it here asking.

Nevertheless, a good listing would help everyone. We could start a "mx-compatible" wiki, with brands that are clickable, and models and model numbers underneath. I don't -Do- wiki's so I won't start it.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 22 December 2011, 14:52:41 »
So I guess it's on me.

If I have some time over the break I will consider setting one up.

Offline lenakira

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 28 December 2011, 17:46:05 »
-Removed-

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 01 January 2012, 16:58:23 »
I agree its all very confusing.  It sucks that its so hard to buy keycaps from a reseller in the US.  Its a pain to order from these Chinese sites even with the guide.