Author Topic: Which o-rings should i pick  (Read 8270 times)

Offline bamze

Which o-rings should i pick
« on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 06:51:17 »
Today i ordered ducky shine 3 RED and i think it is also a good time to finally try the o-rings.
I know close to nothing about the rings so i would really appreciate some info. The rings are not that expensive so i would probably order a couple different types to check them out.
While searching around the net i found this video which seems amazing to me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZWboH1RMgPA.
They are made by MAX i think http://www.maxkeyboard.com/cherry-mx-rubber-o-ring-dampeners-110pcs.html.
What do you guys think about those rings? Is the sound really changing like this or this is some marketing crap? Also i have no idea if the feeling when pressing the key is affected that much when modded with rings. I would appreciate some recommendations.
Camo Filco blue, ducky shine 3 red, filco brown, ibm model M, CM Novatouch.

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
Re: Which o-rings should i pick
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 08:14:53 »
I wouldnt go with any orings

But if you must i reccomend red one

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline Polymer

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 08:31:47 »
Thinner rings will change the travel less but you might find that on some keycaps they aren't even thick enough to soften bottoming out. 

The different hardness levels will change how they feel when you bottom...Harder will change the feel less but dampen less as well...

The best thing to do is try out a bunch of different ones to see what works best for you...and if you have different types of keycaps, what works best for which type (eg. Cherry profile vs. OEM). 

And yes, they will change how it sounds when you bottom out...significantly...they're a good option for people that want to make sure their keyboard isn't too loud..

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 09:14:37 »
I like orings. I have tried 50A and 70A. I definitely prefer 50A, 70A feel too hard to me.

I currently use red orings from imsto.

I also do not like my orings too big because the key travel ends up being too close to the bump on my browns.

I just measured two with a calliper.
The ones I like are 1.45mm thick.
The ones I feel are too big are 1.75mm thick.

Here is a potato pic to show the two I compared.

Offline bondonin

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 20:33:54 »
IIRC the travel on cherry switches are 4mm to bottom out and the actuation point is around 2mm on browns/reds. A 1.75mm o-ring would cut down the travel to a mere 0.25mm after the actuation point.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 20:37:18 »
IIRC the travel on cherry switches are 4mm to bottom out and the actuation point is around 2mm on browns/reds. A 1.75mm o-ring would cut down the travel to a mere 0.25mm after the actuation point.

Ya I find 1.75 too big.  You hardly feel the bump at all on browns because it bottoms out just as you hit the bump (thats what it feels like anyway).  It just didn't feel right to me. 

Now on linear switches...  That might actually be nice, but I sold my linear board before I got these, so I never got to test them.

Offline bondonin

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 20:44:40 »

Ya I find 1.75 too big.  You hardly feel the bump at all on browns because it bottoms out just as you hit the bump (thats what it feels like anyway).  It just didn't feel right to me. 

Now on linear switches...  That might actually be nice, but I sold my linear board before I got these, so I never got to test them.

I guess thats one way of turning cherry browns to feel like scissor switched.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 03:18:13 »

It depends a lot on the caps. With all the caps I have (Ducky ABS, Banggood POM and PBT OEM profile and SP novelties), thete is still a gap between the cap and switch housing when they bottom out. I estimate about 0.8 to 1mm. I suppose some Cherry profile caps would almost touch, though.

One of the things I like about the trampoline mod I did is that it's independent of keycaps. It's only for the more adventurous modders, though, due to requiring opening the switches.

Before I did the mod I was using 1.45mm 50A orings on Browns and quite liked them, although they were a bit more subtle than I was expecting.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 03:23:00 »

Depends on the keycap....Also, a 1.75mm o-ring would still have some give so it would impact travel less than the full width of the ring itself...

But yes, if you have something like Cherry Profile keycaps and a thicker o-ring, you can nearly make it unusable if not unusable. 

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 09:25:29 »

Depends on the keycap....Also, a 1.75mm o-ring would still have some give so it would impact travel less than the full width of the ring itself...

But yes, if you have something like Cherry Profile keycaps and a thicker o-ring, you can nearly make it unusable if not unusable.

Yes. I am sure this is true. It is worth noting that the experience I have written about is using thick pbt keycaps (imsto) with a cherry profile.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Offline bamze

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 10:32:20 »
So any of the rings you've used getting close the clip in above?

Offline daetsid

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 00:12:50 »
None. This stuff sucks.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 03:56:48 »
So any of the rings you've used getting close the clip in above?

Y, I'd say the 50A 1.5mm (1.45 or so actually) orings (with the right keycaps) will sound something like that. Note that the 2nd keyboard is not identical to the first. There may be a PCB damper, heavier keycaps AND orings installed.

If you're up to opening up the switches I highly recommend the trampoline mod instead. Here is a post I made in the trampoline mod thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50632.msg1117334#msg1117334
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline bamze

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 13:13:14 »
Unfortunately Max keyboards are out of stock on those rings so I have ordered blue and red from wasd keyboards.
When the ducky arrives i may feel brave enough to try that trampoline mode. Cheers guys.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 13:19:12 »
Unfortunately Max keyboards are out of stock on those rings so I have ordered blue and red from wasd keyboards.
When the ducky arrives i may feel brave enough to try that trampoline mode. Cheers guys.

I would not have bought the ones from Max Keyboards anyway because those appear to be the same as the thick ones I don't like.  If you get them from WASD, I would recommend getting RED.

Also, you may want to consider getting them from IMSTO instead as they are substantially cheaper: http://imsto.cn/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=58

I would get 'small' from him...  That is where I got mine from...

EDIT:  Important note.  I am using Cherry Profile keycaps.
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 January 2014, 13:23:20 by swill »

Offline bamze

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 13:24:19 »

I would not have bought the ones from Max Keyboards anyway because those appear to be the same as the thick ones I don't like.  If you get them from WASD, I would recommend getting RED.

Also, you may want to consider getting them from IMSTO instead as they are substantially cheaper: http://imsto.cn/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=58

I would get 'small' from him...  That is where I got mine from...
Damn they are a lot cheaper...too late. Thx for the info.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 19:24:46 »
I know you already purchased some o-rings, so this is a little late, but I just did a writeup comparing two different sized o-rings on both OEM and Cherry profiles.

Here is the writeup

Cheers...

Offline bamze

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 09:12:12 »
Interesting read. Thank you.

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 12:44:28 »
no o rings!
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 12:54:35 »
I used to be all about orings, but on my new poker x custom, the clears are all lubed; and its SO QUIET! I suggest you lube them!  :thumb:

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 23:03:09 »
I used to be all about orings, but on my new poker x custom, the clears are all lubed; and its SO QUIET! I suggest you lube them!  :thumb:

This is a good answer  :thumb:

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 23:14:00 »
If you're going to add o-rings to an MX Red you might as well just switch to a scissor switch keyboard.  Better tactility + the same squishy rubber bottom + the same short travel.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 08:42:01 »

If you're going to add o-rings to an MX Red you might as well just switch to a scissor switch keyboard.  Better tactility + the same squishy rubber bottom + the same short travel.

This isn't really helping anyone who is trying to buy orings.