Author Topic: New switches from Matias -- 2 years in the making  (Read 294662 times)

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
Re: New switches from Matias -- 2 years in the making
« Reply #350 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 15:25:26 »
Can your new switches be used to replace XM switches on an existing keyboard? I have in mind a conversion project for a SiiG MiniTouch which comes with white XM switches.

Yes.

This!  Please clarify?  Compatibility with MX plate mounting or pcb only?
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #351 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 15:27:19 »
This!  Please clarify?  Compatibility with MX plate mounting or pcb only?

Not pie, pi

Not Cherry MX, but XM (Xiang Min Co Ltd) simplified Alps clones.

Alps and Cherry MX switches are completely incompatible.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #352 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 15:44:11 »
Dyslexia... act the fool.  :))

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #353 on: Fri, 19 October 2012, 20:13:20 »
How close are we to the release of the bare switches?
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #354 on: Fri, 19 October 2012, 20:58:31 »

Yes.  Interested in the clicky alps (not quiet)

Look!!! A typing competition using entirely clicky Alps switches...

:p
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #355 on: Fri, 19 October 2012, 21:28:28 »

Yes.  Interested in the clicky alps (not quiet)

Look!!! A typing competition using entirely clicky Alps switches...

:p

Sounds magical :P

Ole!
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Matias

• http://matias.ca
« Reply #356 on: Fri, 19 October 2012, 22:55:32 »
The switch production run is done.  Just waiting for the shipment to arrive...

Edgar

Offline uff0

« Reply #357 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 08:08:28 »
Is there any plans on releasing a Mac Quiet Pro with Nordic layout? I would kill for that keyboard! :D

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #358 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 12:11:04 »
Just stumbled on this August review of the Tactile Pro 3:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4858/matias_tactile_pro_3_0_mechanical_keyboard_review/index1.html

Page 5 has a whole batch of neat photos including the various PCBs and of course the new click switches up close. Which look the same as the new tactile switches ;-)

Gets a 94% review, too.
Bore Awards

Offline Matias

« Reply #359 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 18:35:22 »
Is there any plans on releasing a Mac Quiet Pro with Nordic layout? I would kill for that keyboard! :D

Well, if Signature Plastics can do custom keycaps for you, it should be fairly easy to transform one of the PC models into Mac.  We are doing Nordic for PC.

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #360 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 18:39:02 »
I don't think SP will do a one-off keycap run!! We only get SP caps from group buys.

How different are the Mac and PC Nordic legends anyway? I know that Mac and PC British legends are perversely different.
Bore Awards

Offline Matias

« Reply #361 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 18:43:43 »
I don't think SP will do a one-off keycap run!! We only get SP caps from group buys.

How different are the Mac and PC Nordic legends anyway? I know that Mac and PC British legends are perversely different.

Thanks.  Good to know.

Apple doesn't really do a Nordic layout.  They do country-specific keyboards, so how different it is from PC Nordic will depend on the country.

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #362 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 18:51:49 »
I have no idea what this "Nordic" layout is that people refer to. Sweden, Finland and Norway have different layouts, and (I've checked) the Mac and PC layouts do differ slightly, as one would expect.

Sweden and Finland mostly share an older layout, but there's a new Finnish layout for PCs that has a lot more Alt Gr functionality that should be inscribed on keycaps.

I'm guessing that dealing with resellers' inventory control is more of a drag than just lasering up new caps? The biggest hurdle is normally the willingness of a manufacturer to make ISO plates/PCBs/caps in the first place! (Not one single miserable HHKB/Poker-style board in ISO anywhere.)
Bore Awards

Offline uff0

« Reply #363 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 07:22:50 »

Well, if Signature Plastics can do custom keycaps for you, it should be fairly easy to transform one of the PC models into Mac.  We are doing Nordic for PC.

Ok, no plans on making any ISO-style quiet pro's for mac then ? German/UK layout doesn't really matter to me, as I don't really look at the board anyway, just want an ISO layout. And I really want that Mac function layer.

Offline Matias

« Reply #364 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 05:03:51 »

Ok, no plans on making any ISO-style quiet pro's for mac then ? German/UK layout doesn't really matter to me, as I don't really look at the board anyway, just want an ISO layout. And I really want that Mac function layer.

If by "Mac function layer" you mean the function keys, we could modify a PC model for you to give you those.

Offline uff0

« Reply #365 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 14:21:38 »

If by "Mac function layer" you mean the function keys, we could modify a PC model for you to give you those.

Yes, that's what I mean, and with the fn-key where the insert would be, etc. Would be really temped to buy one if that could be done.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #366 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 17:56:29 »

I think you can get single keys for $65 or something like that. I'd say it's primarily for testing your sample before a production or GB starts.

Offline tufty

« Reply #367 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 07:24:52 »
I'm definitely interested in a big 'ol bag 'o switches, but I'd also be up for keycaps.  Colour / printing is unimportant, but I'd be after a set of odd profiles as they'd be for an ergo build - I'd probably want middle row profiles only and a bunch of 1.5 and 2x width caps rather than a full key set.  Of course, I know that's a lot to ask.

Simon

Offline Matias

« Reply #368 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 21:30:50 »
Yes, that's what I mean, and with the fn-key where the insert would be, etc. Would be really temped to buy one if that could be done.

Yes, that should be possible.  We'll have to see if we can coordinate it with The Keyboard Company, but it should be do-able.

Offline Matias

« Reply #369 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 22:18:12 »
I'm definitely interested in a big 'ol bag 'o switches, but I'd also be up for keycaps.  Colour / printing is unimportant, but I'd be after a set of odd profiles as they'd be for an ergo build - I'd probably want middle row profiles only and a bunch of 1.5 and 2x width caps rather than a full key set.  Of course, I know that's a lot to ask.

Simon

I know that Signature Plastics has existing ALPS stock.  If you don't need printing, I'd suggest talking to them first.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #370 on: Fri, 26 October 2012, 12:44:01 »
Just stumbled on this August review of the Tactile Pro 3:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4858/matias_tactile_pro_3_0_mechanical_keyboard_review/index1.html

Page 5 has a whole batch of neat photos including the various PCBs and of course the new click switches up close. Which look the same as the new tactile switches ;-)

Gets a 94% review, too.

Talking with Mr. Seabring right now on GChat.  He uses the Matias to do all of his reviews and refuses to do anything else.  He'll get a dome keyboard and we'll talk about how he can give it bad marks for "feeling" without sounding too pretentious.

Offline nullstring

« Reply #371 on: Sun, 28 October 2012, 11:27:37 »
Are the quiet pro sold in any B&M stores on display?

I'd definitely like to try one out before shelling out $150..

Offline Burz

« Reply #372 on: Sun, 28 October 2012, 19:16:53 »

*cough* cut a deal with MicroCenter *cough*
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline Matias

« Reply #373 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 04:30:11 »

*cough* cut a deal with MicroCenter *cough*

Sorry, but I'm not familiar with B&M stores.  I'm sure they'd be able to tell you if they have it.

As for MicroCenter, while they sell almost all of our other keyboards, the buyer decided that they had enough mechanical keyboards and chose not to carry the Quiet Pro.  Needless to say, we think this was a dumb decision, but buyers are buyers.

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #374 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 04:33:47 »
I think he means brick and mortar, i.e. high street shops.
Bore Awards

Offline Burz

« Reply #375 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 11:27:21 »
Quote from: Matias
As for MicroCenter, while they sell almost all of our other keyboards, the buyer decided that they had enough mechanical keyboards and chose not to carry the Quiet Pro.  Needless to say, we think this was a dumb decision, but buyers are buyers.

Which is ridiculous because my local MicroCenter has only CM Storm and the Matias Tactile Pro 3.  The real problem retailers are going to face is not providing an open environment for trying out these keyboards.  I can somewhat understand it as I find two issues: 1) Stupid mother ****ers who steal the keycaps off the boards ruining it for everyone and 2) Retailers afraid that you will try a keyboard in store and then leave and buy it online for possibly cheaper.
Honestly??  I've never seen a keyboard's keys pulled off in a retail environment.

And #2 I really don't get: A store like Microcenter has tons of mass-market stuff out on display already. They have decided to let people lay hands on keyboards and mice in order to attract them to the store. It makes no sense that all of the keyboards and mice should be cheap garbage supplied by a computer vendor. Its like using breadsticks instead of worms to catch fish.

What also perplexes me is that quality keyboard OEMs do not even try to find small one-store retailers in 5 or 6 major cities to carry their product on display for a couple of years (which is not a big deal-- the length of a cellphone contract). You would think that someone would want consumers looking to pay more for quality, who are impulsively buying based on intangibles, walking into their store.

How hard can it be to find a handful of retailers that you can then place on your website?

Offline Burz

« Reply #376 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 16:44:42 »
yes at Fry's I routinely see keys stripped from boards - sometimes reorganized on keyboards in various 'curse' words.  They used to have Cherry MX boards out but that came to a halt.

It's very difficult... for retailers too afraid to put these keyboards out on display for fear of vandalism - at the same time - the must be irked by people who buy a keyboard, use it for a couple weeks and then return it; but these people weren't able to TRY them out to avoid that issue.
Fry's zoo-like environment is different even among retail chains, and its the complete opposite of a small computer store.

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #377 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 16:46:51 »
Apple doesn't really do a Nordic layout.  They do country-specific keyboards, so how different it is from PC Nordic will depend on the country.

Don't know if you've seen this:

http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=978

Converter kit from Swedish to Danish/Norwegian. Nice workaround.
Bore Awards

Offline Matias

« Reply #378 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 22:12:40 »

Don't know if you've seen this:

http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=978

Converter kit from Swedish to Danish/Norwegian. Nice workaround.

Thanks!  Good to know.  Currently, the plan is to have a single universal layout for Nordic, but this approach is certainly an option for the future.

Offline dirge

« Reply #379 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 03:19:23 »
When will switches be available?  Will they be this year or early next?
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline Matias

« Reply #380 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 08:44:05 »
When will switches be available?  Will they be this year or early next?

They'll be released this month, for sure.

We've already received the bulk shipment of switches.  We just need to get the packaging and logistics sorted out; then we can start selling them.  Best guess is 1-2 weeks from today, you'll see an announcement.

Offline dirge

« Reply #381 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 10:25:46 »
Cool sell 7bit a box please :)
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline Matias

« Reply #382 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 02:47:32 »
Cool sell 7bit a box please :)

It will be a little more than that...  200 pcs per package.

Also, it's looking like the ship date will slip by a month -- mid December.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #383 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 13:14:42 »
^Oh no...what happened? Why'd the ship date get pushed? 
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Matias

« Reply #384 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 15:59:05 »

I'm terribly sorry, but as it turned out, the factory didn't make enough switches to accommodate our next keyboard production run, so we actually can't start selling them in bulk yet.

The new keyboards have been selling extremely well.  We've had to place two extra orders just to keep up, and this has cut into the switch supply.

Sorry for the delay.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #385 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 16:22:30 »
First world troubles... ;)   Still looking forward to their availability
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #386 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 16:32:24 »

I'm terribly sorry, but as it turned out, the factory didn't make enough switches to accommodate our next keyboard production run, so we actually can't start selling them in bulk yet.

The new keyboards have been selling extremely well.  We've had to place two extra orders just to keep up, and this has cut into the switch supply.

Sorry for the delay.

No need to apologize...it's great that the boards have been selling so well.  Are you still set on not making a new tactile pro for the PC crowd and only offering the tactile pro for Macs?
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Matias

« Reply #387 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 17:44:41 »

Sorry for the delay.

No need to apologize...it's great that the boards have been selling so well.  Are you still set on not making a new tactile pro for the PC crowd and only offering the tactile pro for Macs?

Actually, it's looking very likely that there will be a Tactile Pro for PC...

We haven't signed up as many resellers as we were hoping -- but that's largely due to the fact that the sales have been so strong that we haven't had enough keyboards to supply more resellers.  Certainly a good problem to have (if you had your choice of problems).

Best guess is that you'll see a Tactile Pro for PC sometime in the spring.

First world troubles... ;)   Still looking forward to their availability

Agreed, and thanks for your patience...  :)

Offline furosuto81

• Facebook
« Reply #388 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 18:07:24 »
We haven't signed up as many resellers as we were hoping -- but that's largely due to the fact that the sales have been so strong that we haven't had enough keyboards to supply more resellers.  Certainly a good problem to have (if you had your choice of problems).

Emulating Apple in that regard ;) Definitely not a bad problem to have.

By the way, after about a month of ownership, I'm very pleased with the board. It's met my expectations in every way and it's going to be my daily driver at work for the forseeable future. The switches are fantastic and the USB hub has been super handy to have. The shape/design of the case is nice & somewhat unique, and despite the back tilt legs not having any rubberized parts, I have not had any problems with it sliding or moving around. It's the worthiest successor to the AEKII I've found. So my compliments on creating a really fantastic board, Matias! :cool:

The only part that isn't absolutely perfect in my opinion is the glossy black case. :confused: Don't get me wrong, It's not that it looks cheap, or that the paint job isn't quality (it is); but it shows fingerprints and dust (of which there is a lot of in my office) like crazy. I'm considering painting it matte black or silver like the mac version. Just need to decide the best way to go about that and have it look good. And hope that I don't have any problems with it in the future since that will certainly void whatever warranty you have on it. I was tempted to purchase the mac version because of the silver/black color scheme, but I use it on PCs exclusively at work.
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 November 2012, 18:27:14 by furosuto81 »
Keyboards: Matias Quiet Pro Matias Quiet Click  |  Apple Extended Keyboard II Dampened White ALPS  |  KBParadise V80 Olivette Matias Quiet Click  |  CMStorm QuickFire TK B&W Special Edition White LED Cherry MX Red  |  Ducky DK9087S Shine 2 TKL White LED Cherry MX Red

Offline Matias

« Reply #389 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 04:13:54 »
By the way, after about a month of ownership, I'm very pleased with the board. It's met my expectations in every way and it's going to be my daily driver at work for the forseeable future. The switches are fantastic and the USB hub has been super handy to have. The shape/design of the case is nice & somewhat unique, and despite the back tilt legs not having any rubberized parts, I have not had any problems with it sliding or moving around. It's the worthiest successor to the AEKII I've found. So my compliments on creating a really fantastic board, Matias! :cool:

That's great to hear!  Glad you're happy it.  :)

The only part that isn't absolutely perfect in my opinion is the glossy black case. :confused: Don't get me wrong, It's not that it looks cheap, or that the paint job isn't quality (it is); but it shows fingerprints and dust (of which there is a lot of in my office) like crazy. I'm considering painting it matte black or silver like the mac version. Just need to decide the best way to go about that and have it look good. And hope that I don't have any problems with it in the future since that will certainly void whatever warranty you have on it. I was tempted to purchase the mac version because of the silver/black color scheme, but I use it on PCs exclusively at work.

I haven't tried this, but I've read that rubbing a few drops of mineral oil on a surface will act as a dust repellent.  You might want to try that first.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #390 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 07:06:40 »
could we get some geekhack preorders for switches in? i really really don't want to miss these :)

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Matias

« Reply #391 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 07:42:54 »
could we get some geekhack preorders for switches in? i really really don't want to miss these :)

Okay, anyone who wants to be on the "first dibs" list, please PM me with your name, email, and phone#.  We'll make sure that you're contacted as soon as the switches are in.  You'll be able to order even prior to the web page being posted.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #392 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 08:44:31 »
PM sent!

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Se7en

« Reply #393 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 13:44:43 »
Is TKL in the plans yet? Sign me up for a European blank PBT quiet version  ;D.

Offline Matias

« Reply #394 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 14:42:06 »
Is TKL in the plans yet? Sign me up for a European blank PBT quiet version  ;D.

We have lots of stuff in development.

You'll have to wait and see what materializes.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #395 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 18:48:10 »
I want to see ALPS POM more than PBT. Yes, I love PBT, but given how hard ALPS keycaps can be to remove, I want to see POM, because that will make it easy to replace/fix/whatever the keycaps. Blank POM is preferable, but I'd go with whatever.

Offline Matias

« Reply #396 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 19:20:49 »
I want to see ALPS POM more than PBT. Yes, I love PBT, but given how hard ALPS keycaps can be to remove, I want to see POM, because that will make it easy to replace/fix/whatever the keycaps. Blank POM is preferable, but I'd go with whatever.

Okay, I'll ask, but I think Signature Plastics only has PBT for ALPS.

Offline Zehkul

« Reply #397 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 03:43:47 »
I want to see POM, because that will make it easy to replace/fix/whatever the keycaps.

How?
o.o

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #398 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 00:36:20 »
I want to see POM, because that will make it easy to replace/fix/whatever the keycaps.

How?
o.o
ALPS keycaps can be really hard to remove. POM has a much lower coefficient of friction (It can be hard to get the stabilizers to fit without falling out!) so (in theory) the keycaps would be easier to remove.

Also, I do believe SP does not offer POM at all. :(

Offline pasph

« Reply #399 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 16:04:23 »
News about when will switches be available?
Are you giong to sell both the quiet tactile and the clicky?
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"