Author Topic: [IC] KAT Classic Retro - GB IS LIVE  (Read 12456 times)

Offline Xonuss

[IC] KAT Classic Retro - GB IS LIVE
« on: Mon, 13 March 2023, 15:34:14 »
GB IS LIVE: September 5th - October 5th

Vendors
EU: KEYGEM
OCE: ALLCAPS
NA: DIVINIKEY
UK: PROTOTYPIST
SEA: MECHA MY
SCANDINAVIA: MAXGAMING

Good day, everyone.
I'd like to introduce the IC for:

KAT Classic Retro

297976-0

More

Expected GB: 1 month, starting August or September. Give you input in the form below
New IC Form for actual buy interest

A couple of words on why:
More
Why?
I love KAT and I love Beige.

But KAT...
I am well aware of the history of Keyreative and the KAT/KAM profiles, and I've personally been part of plenty of KAT sets for the past 2.5 year to know what's at stake. However, I have been directly in contact with a couple of people from Keyreative for a little while now, even before their update regarding KAT Mizu progress and production update, and I am confident that if this runs, it will be able to deliver in a timely manner, depending on quantity. I have received a Keyreative sample set showcasing their various production capabilities and I have been very please with their double shot PBT. Also verified this from KAT Explosion, which just makes me more certain of this. Being in direct contact with Keyreative also means that I should be able to get updated more frequently and not being dependent on zFrontier as the middleman, which should lead to generally better communication.

Ok, so what is it?
KAT Classic Retro is a simple beige set, colormatched close to GMK L9 and U9, that's aimed to provide comprehensive support from fewer kits, to keep things simple. This means that it's going to consist of a basekit, supporting various standard layouts while including Alice, basic ISO and 40s support. The other kit will be an international kit, trying to collect support for a number of different ISO layouts. I know, there's a lot of various ISO layouts, so if you think there's a couple of keys or entirely for your preferred ISO variant, please let me know and I'll see if it's possible to include (No guarantee tho).

Here's the difference tho
What I want to do, is to include 1.5U R3 and 1U R4 keys for the otherwise ISO specific 1U R2 keys, meaning that you will be able to use this set with any of it's ISO layout options on ANSI boards, while keeping those legends proper. In my opinion, having mismatched legends when it isn't intentional is just a pet peeve of mine and I'm sure I'm not alone about this, and I wanted to do something about it, to support some of my fellow European brethren and whoever may use these layouts.

Kitting

Base Kit
300448-1

International Kit
300376-2

Accent Kit
300378-3

Old Kittings
More
Base Kit
300374-4
297950-5
International Kit
297421-6

More kits are not out of the question, but initially just wanted to keep things simple, keeping the history of Keyreative in mind.

Specs

Double-shot PBT
Alphas similar to GMK L9
Mods similar to GMK U9
Legends similar to GMK CR
Red accent similar to GMK 3C
Green accent similar to GMK 3B

Price

Base kit: $95
International kit: $30
Accent kit: $20

All prices are ex. VAT/taxes

Colorsamples

Sort of "neutral" lighting
300404-7300406-8

Warm lighting
300412-9300414-10

Cold lighting
300408-11300410-12

More
Added vibrant GMK samples for those who want to compare in person.
May redo these sometime in natural lighting

Sort of "neutral" lighting
297992-13
297994-14297996-15

Warm lighting
297998-16298000-17

Cold lighting
298002-18298004-19

Renders

Frog TKL by Geon.Works
300422-20300424-21
300428-22300430-23

Zoom65 by Meletrix
300432-24300434-25
300436-26300438-27

IRON180 by Smith+Rune
300440-28300442-29
300444-30300446-31

Old renders
More
Frog TKL by Geon.Works
297952-32297954-33
297956-34297958-35

More
Zoom65 by Meletrix
297960-36297962-37
297964-38297966-39

More
IRON180 by Smith+Rune
297968-40297970-41
297972-42297974-43

To Do:

Revise and Finalize kitting if needed
Find vendors
Get sample

Feel free to join the Discord to keep track of this and other projects, as well as having a chat.

Do please consider adding this signature to your profile
297441-44
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=119793][img]https://i.imgur.com/isdrApi.jpg[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 September 2023, 23:57:25 by Xonuss »

Offline Xonuss

Re: [IC] KAT Classic Retro
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 March 2023, 15:35:11 »
Update Log:

03-04-2023:
- Added a few keys to numpad
- Added barred homing keys
- Added Nyhxis novelties
- Added Mac mods
- Few other minor changes to basekit
- Updated renders
- Added color sample images, may redo these at some point
- Added EU and OCE vendors
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 April 2023, 14:40:57 by Xonuss »

Offline spikedsynapse

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 March 2023, 15:40:09 »
I thought Keyreative's queue was closed. Is there movement on that front?

GLWIC

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 13 March 2023, 15:42:38 »
Kitting suggestions:
You're 67 kits short of a proper Keyreative set, please add them

• I would add a R4 1u = for numpad
  • I would prioritize 2u spacebar over 1.25u spacebar (or include both if it's cost effective)
  • Similarly I would prioritize a second 2.25u shift over 2u shift, include both if cost effective

GLWIC, I'm awaiting my Keyreative samples as well. Curious to see how the new era of Keyreative sets goes.

Offline Xonuss

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 13 March 2023, 15:47:02 »
I thought Keyreative's queue was closed. Is there movement on that front?

GLWIC

Thank you! At least they have expressed a lot of interest in working together from our conversations and the sample kit that they sent out is very promising. I believe since ramping up production, things are moving well ahead with delivering a number of their double shot sets, most recently KAT Explosion, and KAT Mizu being well underway.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 March 2023, 03:23:30 by Xonuss »

Offline Xonuss

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 13 March 2023, 16:04:26 »
Kitting suggestions:
You're 67 kits short of a proper Keyreative set, please add them

• I would add a R4 1u = for numpad
  • I would prioritize 2u spacebar over 1.25u spacebar (or include both if it's cost effective)
  • Similarly I would prioritize a second 2.25u shift over 2u shift, include both if cost effective

GLWIC, I'm awaiting my Keyreative samples as well. Curious to see how the new era of Keyreative sets goes.

I'm sorry, I'll get right to work on those remaining kits!

Suggestions are noted. Do you examples of the suggested spacebar and shift? The 1.25U spacebar is mainly for regular 2.25U-1.25U-2.75U split spacebar setup and the shift is just to cover any size that may be useful.

Also thank you! The progress presented lately by Keyreative I think have been very promising, so I'm excited to see where things go from here.

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 13 March 2023, 16:32:26 »
Do you examples of the suggested spacebar and shift? The 1.25U spacebar is mainly for regular 2.25U-1.25U-2.75U split spacebar setup and the shift is just to cover any size that may be useful.
2u spacebar is very common for 40% keyboards, as well as Alice layouts. Alice layouts tend to use 2.75u bar + the option for either the 2u or 2.25u bar.
2u shift is useful for basically a single layout, the GK64 layout, which uses a uniform stagger on the left side. A second 2.25u shift is most commonly used in 660 layout boards.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 March 2023, 16:39:44 by dededecline »

Offline stewfayew

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 13 March 2023, 23:17:45 »
So will it be doubleshot or will it be more scuffed KAT dye-sub?

Offline aicyborg

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 13 March 2023, 23:28:05 »
Interested if Keyreative can pull this off in a reasonable timeframe. I appreciate the thorough ISO support very much!

I'm not loving the FN key legend. It looks extremely similar to PgUp. Admittedly I don't know what else you could do but it's just kinda missing something for me. I do overall like the simplistic icon legends, but that one stands out to me as icky.

Offline Xonuss

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 14 March 2023, 01:50:35 »
Do you examples of the suggested spacebar and shift? The 1.25U spacebar is mainly for regular 2.25U-1.25U-2.75U split spacebar setup and the shift is just to cover any size that may be useful.
2u spacebar is very common for 40% keyboards, as well as Alice layouts. Alice layouts tend to use 2.75u bar + the option for either the 2u or 2.25u bar.
2u shift is useful for basically a single layout, the GK64 layout, which uses a uniform stagger on the left side. A second 2.25u shift is most commonly used in 660 layout boards.

That makes good sense, I'll make adjustments at some point. Appreciate the feedback.

So will it be doubleshot or will it be more scuffed KAT dye-sub?

It will indeed be doubleshot. I added a small Specs section, just to be very explicit about this.

Interested if Keyreative can pull this off in a reasonable timeframe. I appreciate the thorough ISO support very much!

I'm not loving the FN key legend. It looks extremely similar to PgUp. Admittedly I don't know what else you could do but it's just kinda missing something for me. I do overall like the simplistic icon legends, but that one stands out to me as icky.

Of course timeframe will depend entirely on quantity, but I aim to very transparent about the timeframe as possible. From what I've been told, things have been steadying alot post-covid with them also having introduced the doubleshot molds, which according to them should be much less prone to errors compared to their dye-sub process, so to me that's definitely exciting.

Regarding the Fn key, I get what you're saying. I think the only other option would be the 3 bar icon, but to me that's just more Menu than Fn, and didn't really like that too much., but maybe that would be something to consider? All icons are standard KAT legends, so otherwise I would have to come up with some custom icon for Fn which I'm not really keen on, but that's not completely out of the question either.

Offline Rotwitt

• I'm trying to have fun designing keyboards
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 14 March 2023, 02:34:40 »
Looks great! GLWIC!

Offline Bub

• big bub's beepers
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 14 March 2023, 07:37:50 »
are these legends KAT's stock doubleshot? or something made for this project?

GLWIC i love beige

Offline Xonuss

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 14 March 2023, 07:44:06 »
Looks great! GLWIC!

Thank you!

are these legends KAT's stock doubleshot? or something made for this project?

GLWIC i love beige

Thank you. These are stock KAT legends. Same legends used for KAT Explosion and Mizu, so you can refer to those for actual images.

Offline Bub

• big bub's beepers
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 14 March 2023, 07:49:42 »
Thank you. These are stock KAT legends. Same legends used for KAT Explosion and Mizu, so you can refer to those for actual images.

Good to know! Thx

Offline EdgeOfInfinity

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 16 March 2023, 17:11:20 »
still interested in trying KAT, those Keyreative lead times tho...

Offline Xonuss

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 20 March 2023, 07:13:45 »
still interested in trying KAT, those Keyreative lead times tho...

Leadtime and communication is of the utmost importance for this to be success, so I will give it my best effort for both to be as transparent and satisfactory as can be.

Offline Xonuss

Re: [IC] KAT Classic Retro - Colorsamples and Updated Basekit + Few vendors
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 03 April 2023, 14:44:08 »
Updated post with updated basekit, color samples and new renders.

Offline farlig

• * St. Jude Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 03 April 2023, 15:06:57 »
Really excited for this, almost definitely gonna be picking up a set. Hope Keyreative can deliver in a timely manner.
Collection: Singakbd x TGR Unikorn R2.2 Pewter Grey, JJW Cloudline Red WKL, Noxary Valhalla Green, Keychron Q1 Black

Offline niakulah

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 03 April 2023, 19:52:38 »
Would seriously consider this if it had the Win key logo like what EPBT 9009 had.

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 04 April 2023, 14:41:41 »

Regarding the Fn key, I get what you're saying. I think the only other option would be the 3 bar icon, but to me that's just more Menu than Fn, and didn't really like that too much., but maybe that would be something to consider? All icons are standard KAT legends, so otherwise I would have to come up with some custom icon for Fn which I'm not really keen on, but that's not completely out of the question either.

I'd second that the current FN icon immediately makes me think of PgUp. I have no problem with the 3 bar which is used for FN in other KAT sets like Mizu.

Offline involuntarysoul

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 06 April 2023, 12:28:50 »
every KAT set i have got unusable 7U spacebar. I would personally avoid keyreative at all cost

Offline Xonuss

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 25 April 2023, 07:52:52 »
Really excited for this, almost definitely gonna be picking up a set. Hope Keyreative can deliver in a timely manner.

Thank you! From what I've been told and from what I'm seeing on the progress of current sets, timelines should be looking very nice. Currently fleshing out all colors, novelties and packaging so little to none work have to be done post-GB except to "press" order.

Would seriously consider this if it had the Win key logo like what EPBT 9009 had.

It would look cool, but not sure it will happen this run.

I'd second that the current FN icon immediately makes me think of PgUp. I have no problem with the 3 bar which is used for FN in other KAT sets like Mizu.

I'm still considering this. I still prefer the Fn key as it is to the bars, but that's just my preference and hasn't officially been determined yet.

every KAT set i have got unusable 7U spacebar. I would personally avoid keyreative at all cost

I haven't had such experiences myself and I can't comment on the actual frequency, but to quote from their Discord, "It was decided in our production meeting this week to add more testing on spaces.", so I hope any issues with spacebars would be almost, if not entirely, eliminated. Have faith! :D

Offline Xonuss

Alright, so it's time for another update (probably one of the last). I have finalized the kitting and added Divinikey and Prototypist to the list of vendors, as well as updated renders (may update these later as they got a weird graining thingy going on) and color samples.

Few notable changes:
I gave in the the Fn bars and decided they looked better
I moved ISO to the International kit, reasoned that I think the majority would probably not need those and thus making it a little nicer for those. I apologize that you ISO users have to get in on the Int kit.
I added accent kit, matching the 9009 colorscheme and they turned out really nice I think.

Please to fill out the new IC, as that's going to provide me with information of how many are actually interested in getting in on this set (for the sake of the vendors), as well as when you would prefer this set to run.
New IC Form for actual buy interest

Offline EdgeOfInfinity

changes are good imo, thnx 4 the update! i think you have the accent kit pricing labeled as "base kit" however

Offline Xonuss

changes are good imo, thnx 4 the update! i think you have the accent kit pricing labeled as "base kit" however

Appreciate that.
Not sure how I missed that, but it's fixed, thank you!

Offline aicyborg

A lot of my interest in this came from ISO-UK keys in base but since they've been removed I'll be backing out.

glwgb.

Offline Xonuss

A lot of my interest in this came from ISO-UK keys in base but since they've been removed I'll be backing out.

glwgb.

I completely understand, even tho I'm sorry to hear that. Thank you for showing interest tho, I appreciate it.

Offline Xonuss

Re: [IC] KAT Classic Retro - GB date official: September 5th - October 5th
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 14 August 2023, 14:33:56 »
Alright, we're doing this: Super excitied to announce that KAT Classic Retro will be running from September 5th to October 5th.

Prices will be as follows (in USD):

Base kit: $95
International kit: $30
Accent kit: $20

All prices are ex. VAT/taxes

Final list prices for each of the vendors will be listed at some point, but direct conversion to your currency is a pretty good indicator.

Offline WK

Re: [IC] KAT Classic Retro - GB date announced: September 5th - October 5th
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 19 August 2023, 20:54:10 »
None of the five Canadians was willing to go near this? Or just didn't try em? Deskhero and Ashkeebs love KAT.

Love the set btw.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 August 2023, 20:56:24 by WK »

Offline Xonuss

Re: [IC] KAT Classic Retro - GB date announced: September 5th - October 5th
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 22 August 2023, 15:20:27 »
None of the five Canadians was willing to go near this? Or just didn't try em? Deskhero and Ashkeebs love KAT.

Love the set btw.

Thank you! Unfortunately no luck with those two. If you want to recommend one of the others, do please let me know, then I could try to reach out.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 August 2023, 15:25:23 by Xonuss »

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071