Author Topic: Custom Vortex Doubleshot PBT Keyset  (Read 11182 times)

Offline Dvoryke

Custom Vortex Doubleshot PBT Keyset
« on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 01:42:48 »
I have been talking with Vortex, and they have tasked me with finding out roughly how many people would buy this keyset I designed if they made it.

Information:

DCS EDIT: Most likely OEM actually, I'll get back to you guys on that!

Doubleshot PBT

Please reply if you would buy this. I am trying to get as accurate count as possible, so even you lurkers please reply!

« Last Edit: Mon, 18 August 2014, 02:03:10 by Dvoryke »

Offline tbc

Re: Custom Vortex Doubleshot PBT Keyset
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 01:55:21 »
okay......is this actually dcs profile?  meaning the keycaps are made by SP or they've allowed vortex's factories to copy the molds?  i'm assuming permission is needed.

or is it cherry profile?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 01:56:05 »
I have been talking with Vortex, and they have tasked me with finding out roughly how many people would buy this keyset I designed if they made it.

Information:

DCS Profile

Doubleshot PBT

Please reply if you would buy this. I am trying to get as accurate count as possible, so even you lurkers please reply!

Show Image

IF the price is decent and IF they were Cherry profile rather than DCS then I would buy them. DCS bottom row has too steep an angle.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Dvoryke

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 02:01:46 »
okay......is this actually dcs profile?  meaning the keycaps are made by SP or they've allowed vortex's factories to copy the molds?  i'm assuming permission is needed.

or is it cherry profile?

I am just going by what they told me, since I had mentioned that I was possibly looking into DSA caps, they were maybe saying that it would be closer to DCS (they were probably assuming I was looking at SP profiles and that since Cherry is similar to DCS and DCS is on SP so they were probably trying to eliminate my need to Google or something idk)

Offline Arcoril

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 02:46:25 »
I'm a sucker for thick PBT keycaps. I really like the color scheme here, so chalk me up for a set.

Offline okwchin

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 04:21:07 »
Is that the font that will be used for the legends? Or is this only a rough guide.

Not my cup of tea with these legends... :(
Otherwise the colour, and double shot PBT part would be attractive.

Offline feizor

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 04:28:00 »
Is that the font that will be used for the legends? Or is this only a rough guide.

Not my cup of tea with these legends... :(
Otherwise the colour, and double shot PBT part would be attractive.

I agree, Cherry replica legends would be more attractive. The color is really nice. I think a bit more work is needed around the mock up.

Offline adrl

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 09:32:33 »
Would buy if the price is right.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 10:10:34 »
Colorway looks to be close to CalmDepths; not a bad choice, really. I do like centered legends but you may want to inquire about font choices since it sounds like there's some hesitation there. Myself I think it'd be cool to get keycool's "futuristic" font...But WalletHack has likely excluded me from participating until, at the very least, I actually have a keyboard to put more caps onto.

PBT is a fine plastic, but I gather there are choices overall, on texture and reflectivity ... would this just be vortex standard except for colorway and legend choice? Which I'm fine about they make great keycaps but I'm wanting to clarify on that front.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Dvoryke

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 10:42:23 »
Colorway looks to be close to CalmDepths; not a bad choice, really. I do like centered legends but you may want to inquire about font choices since it sounds like there's some hesitation there. Myself I think it'd be cool to get keycool's "futuristic" font...But WalletHack has likely excluded me from participating until, at the very least, I actually have a keyboard to put more caps onto.

PBT is a fine plastic, but I gather there are choices overall, on texture and reflectivity ... would this just be vortex standard except for colorway and legend choice? Which I'm fine about they make great keycaps but I'm wanting to clarify on that front.

Font is not final :)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 02:40:51 »
Is this just going to become yet another DCS Group Buy? http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61922.0

No doublshot PBT, no Cherry profile....  :'(  No buy. To be honest, OEM profile would be even worse than DCS, though. I like the colours, but I don't want yet another SP DCS profile set.

I do like the idea of doing it as a complete set as your image shows, no extra kits, just a really complete base set.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 04:34:05 »
I do like the idea of doing it as a complete set as your image shows, no extra kits, just a really complete base set.

Like he said  :thumb: .

Since this key-set designer wants to keep this design very simple with no Icons at all then why not have this set done in SA Profile?  It would be far better made from thick walled caps in the SA profile than another DCS set.

Because this designer wants to keep it simple he can get it made easily.

Offline Dvoryke

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 10:13:45 »
Is this just going to become yet another DCS Group Buy? http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61922.0

No doublshot PBT, no Cherry profile....  :'(  No buy. To be honest, OEM profile would be even worse than DCS, though. I like the colours, but I don't want yet another SP DCS profile set.

2 people will be making this, Vortex with doubleshot PBT most likely in Cherry profile, and SP in DSA profile.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 10:25:15 »

2 people will be making this, Vortex with doubleshot PBT most likely in Cherry profile, and SP in DSA profile.

So Vortex can do cherry profile now? Perhaps they can give GMK some competition?  :o Depending on font used of course... :-X :-\

Offline Dvoryke

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 10:28:14 »

So Vortex can do cherry profile now? Perhaps they can give GMK some competition?  :o Depending on font used of course... :-X :-\

I said most likely, I am not 100% because the details I got were a bit foggy, I was just told to find out many sets they would need to make.

Offline justnits

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 11:36:03 »
i doubt vortex will be doing cherry or dcs.
i'm 90% sure they are using OEM/Filco profile.

this is one of their recent keyset that i know of.

i'm guessing if your set goes into production, they will probably be using the same legend as the picture with your colour theme design.
i've a lot of doubt about them doing molds for the text mods and some other mods that they don't currently have it.
but i do hope i'm wrong in this :P
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 August 2014, 11:38:49 by justnits »
| | | |
Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 Gateron Red w/ Korean 55g gold lubed spring & custom LED | Ergodox with Aluminium top plate | IBM Model M SSK | GHPad | GON's Nerd TKL | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX Blue
[Sold]Keycool 87 PBT White Cherry MX Blue | [Sold]ikbc F-104 Cherry MX Brown

Offline Dvoryke

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 11:39:32 »
i doubt vortex will be doing cherry or dcs.
i'm 90% sure they are using OEM/Filco profile.

this is one of their recent keyset that i know of.
Show Image
Show Image

i'm guessing if your set goes into production, they will probably be using the same legend as the picture with your colour theme design.
i've a lot of doubt about them doing molds for the text mods and some other mods that they don't currently have it.
but i do hope i'm wrong in this :P

Yeah I think you're right

Offline jameslr

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 12:07:32 »
I'd be in for a set if the price is right. OEM profile would be ok too.
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline Bludude4

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 05:58:56 »
If the price is anything like the granites (the group buy that I missed with the DCS profile), like in the $30-40 range, then I will look into buying it.  If it's going to be something like between $70 and $100, then I'm just a poor teenager. :)
All hail Hall Effect keyboards!
I'm a QFR Blues noob.
WASD keycaps are terrible.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 07:42:27 »
From this pic, I'd also say they're OEM. Look at the height of the stepped Caps.

If they're making new molds, then maybe you can request Cherry-esque profile, but they'll probably be just like these sets, but using your colourway. They may need to make new molds even then, since I can't recall ever seeing 1.5x mods, 7x spacebar or 1.75x shift offered with any of these.

To be honest, I'm not sure I'd buy this set or the SP version if it is released soon. Too many really great GB's either running at the moment or starting soon (Nuclear Green, Midnight Round 2, GMK HyperFuse, Retro SA, GreenTea, etc.). Wallethacking competition is tight right now.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 09:39:45 »
unfortunately I have no interest in OEM profile.

Offline Saviant

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 09:40:08 »
I would be interested in a set or 2depending on price, really like the colors

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 12:21:46 »
If the price is anything like the granites (the group buy that I missed with the DCS profile), like in the $30-40 range, then I will look into buying it.  If it's going to be something like between $70 and $100, then I'm just a poor teenager. :)

Sensible response. Price is a big factor really. $10000 for the best metal keycaps in the world? Nah. I ain't buying scarface because I know very well the amounto f money I spend on a scaarface set could be used to  cd'dffffffffffffffff$20 for some keycaps with a few features I like (doubleshot PBT, thick PBT) and a few features I don't like (vortex italic font)? I'll still buy.g
g
g
ok you cam see the problem with a modded keyboard of mine called Pingmaster. Return, backspace all went crazy and I had to pull  out another keyboard.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 August 2014, 12:23:51 by berserkfan »
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 21:09:26 »
In for a set if this goes live. Would love it in dsa.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 August 2014, 03:41:36 by radio_killah »

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 21:23:14 »
I'd probably be in for a set of the PBT, if the price is in line with the latest DS PBT sets. Maybe $100 max

Offline Manchias

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 21:52:35 »
A vote for DSA profile.

Offline Dvoryke

Offline Manchias

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 22:30:19 »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 22:32:18 »
If Vortex didn't have such god awful legends, I'd probably be in for a set.

Of course, that set is reminding me of another I've seen, I just can't remember which on it is.  I think it may be since it's kind of a mesh of Penumbra and Calm Depths.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 23:26:08 »
This thread is about a PBT set, however the vote on PMK is for an ABS set... I am confused
Is this just a thread to see if vortex will make a replica of this set in PBT DS?

I would totally buy this if it was true to the original design but in DS PBT (although I would prefer to see samples to see how sharp it turns out with a custom order)
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 August 2014, 23:47:04 by FrostyToast »
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline apaskal

• Pro et Contra gadget reviews
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 03:07:40 »
I love this color scheme!
Is it possible to add Filco Minila modifiers to the set?
I mean:
1u Shift
1.5u Back space
two 1.25u Fn (or blank)
1.75u Control
2u Shift
3u Space bar

Thank you!
My personal blog —  Pro et Contra gadget reviews!

Offline Dvoryke

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 03:18:08 »
I love this color scheme!
Is it possible to add Filco Minila modifiers to the set?
I mean:
1u Shift
1.5u Back space
two 1.25u Fn (or blank)
1.75u Control
2u Shift
3u Space bar

Thank you!

I'll do my best!

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 03:43:47 »
So what are the exact specifications of this keyset? It seems like what you have posted here and what is on the SP site is a bit confusing. What is the profile, material, and key printing method?

Offline Dvoryke

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 03:50:50 »
So what are the exact specifications of this keyset? It seems like what you have posted here and what is on the SP site is a bit confusing. What is the profile, material, and key printing method?

After looking back I realize my responses have been a little bit misleading. Let me try and clarify.

This thread is for the OEM profile, doubleshot PBT keyset that Vortex might make.

The SP site link I posted if for a GB that will be running soon with DSA profile, ABS doubleshot caps.

Hope I cleared it up a bit, new to GeekHack, I'm usually over at /r/MK :P

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 17:41:30 »
He is running the set twice.
SP is the ONLY manufacturer that produces DSA caps. So it's being run in DS ABS DSA through PMK.
He linked to the vote there because someone asked.
He's gauging ICin this thread to see if you guys want the same color scheme in OEM by Vortex.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 17:57:09 »

After looking back I realize my responses have been a little bit misleading. Let me try and clarify.

This thread is for the OEM profile, doubleshot PBT keyset that Vortex might make.

The SP site link I posted if for a GB that will be running soon with DSA profile, ABS doubleshot caps.

Hope I cleared it up a bit, new to GeekHack, I'm usually over at /r/MK :P

He is running the set twice.
SP is the ONLY manufacturer that produces DSA caps. So it's being run in DS ABS DSA through PMK.
He linked to the vote there because someone asked.
He's gauging ICin this thread to see if you guys want the same color scheme in OEM by Vortex.

Got it. That clears it up nicely thanks guys! I am in for the set when is goes live on SP for the DSA profile!

Offline YouGotRioted

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 03:31:49 »
Thick PBT and change the font then I'm in.

Offline kirkvomit

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 04:47:15 »
If it is thick PBT and price lower than $100, then I'm in.

Offline Mercury7

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 17:29:30 »
Love the colors, don't care about the profile, but definitely don't want the standard vortex font

Offline Mercury7

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 08:40:26 »
Did this interest check die out :(

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 13:17:52 »
whats the point of tsangan kit if there is no stepped capslock or at least full touch off center one to replace the stepped one?
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 13:39:09 »
1. Would be very interested in good keycap set designs for Topre-switch boards. There is a shortage of Topre keycaps, and many people with Realforce and HHKB boards would be eager to buy sets for these boards.

2. Might be interested in the Cherry mx set, especially if some customization would be possible:

-- Swapped Backspace and Backslash (2.00x Backslash and 1.50x Backspace)
-- 1.25x Fn
-- 1.75x Control
-- 1.25x CapsLock
-- Mac or Generic OS keycaps

Offline honoka

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 16:02:13 »
Make it and I'll buy it.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 16:04:23 »
Will vortex use their ugly font for this or will they use one you provide?
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 September 2014, 06:55:22 by FrostyToast »
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 02:44:55 »
Make it and I'll buy it.

Same here  :thumb: .  Knowing that it's PBT and OEM makes it highly desirable in my eyes, plus not sending money to SP makes it a good change this time.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 01:58:30 »
Does anyone know what the Chinese name for Vortex is? I can't seem to find anything of theirs by name on Taobao. (Although things can be found by sight / photo so obviously Chinese keyboard manufacturers and shops have access to Vortex's products.)
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline honoka

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 02:19:05 »
What's this??? Make it already :)

Offline Arcoril

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 13:30:39 »
Still super interested in this. OEM + PBT + doubleshot + great color scheme = me buying at least two sets. I'd also really love blank ErgoDox modifiers with matching row profiles if there's any way that those could be an add-on.

Offline DzyDzyDino

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 02:11:11 »
Yes. You make, I buy.

Offline Premonition

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 14:11:14 »
Can they make them in Dvorak?