Author Topic: Different MX Switches  (Read 4367 times)

Offline Linkbane

Different MX Switches
« on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 17:51:17 »
So, I'm a bit bored today and decided to make my own little review of different switches from personal experiences, mostly from typing but also playing League.
Red/Blue/Brown/Black/Green (Only tried blacks for a very short period of time)

Blues, being moderate (50 g) tactile switches, give a nice little click whenever they are actuated, as well as a tactile bump. In terms of typing, I prefer these because due to ADHD, my fingers like to bounce a lot on the keys and miss keystrokes in astoundingly stupid ways. I can achieve over 140 with these switches.

Reds, which are light (45 g) linear switches, give no hint of actuation, so it takes a bit of time to understand where the actuation point is relative to the distance of depression with the finger. I feel as if I am able to blast letters out faster than on Blues, but because it gives no feedback besides when I bottom out (happens a bit less than half the time, as I'm used to Blues), my accuracy suffers on this keyboard. I can achieve low 130 with these, but for gaming it's much more comfortable using these for abilities and keypresses.

Brown and Black I only tried them out in a store, but I formed opinions quickly. Blacks are my least favorite switch by far; they are heavy (60 g) and linear, which doesn't make sense to me as linear switches have always seemed as if they should be light. I often do not depress the switch at all because the pressure is greater than what I am used to, and would say that my best with these would probably be high-120, and would dislike using so much pressure in a game.
Browns, on the other hand, seemed very nice and comfortable to my fingers, with a pleasant feeling of obstruction in the middle of the key which is almost as distinctive as the Blue while being much quiter. I haven't had a chance to use this on a computer, but I would probably be at the same level as my Blue in typing and better for gaming.

Finally, I have an MX Green board which was very interesting to me. It is a very heavy (80 g) switch, but because it is tactile in nature like the blue, it actually is easier to press the keys without missing a keystroke due to the tactile sensation, unlike the Blacks. It taught me how to not bottom out on a mechanical switch, which was invaluable to my typing, and also drastically reduced the amount of errors I have. With these, I managed mid- to high-130. However, they are very heavy and I get fatigued after long typing sessions or short, very rapid tests. (already have CTS as a teenager, no need to use this more), so I would not recommend this to people used to a light switch, or ever to a gamer.

So, I know that pretty much nobody cares because almost everyone here seems to have used all the switch types, but I thought it would be nice to give personal opinion on these switches. If someone would post their own opinions on the aforementioned switches and even Topre (which I would appreciate because I plan to get an FC660C when I gather the money), that would be very nice. Thanks for reading!

Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Different MX Switches
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 18:05:25 »
Interesting comparison - thanks for posting.

Please do update it with Topre when you can.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 18:27:45 »
Interesting comparison - thanks for posting.

Please do update it with Topre when you can.

Thanks! It might be a while, but I'll do it when I manage to get a Topre board.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 08:57:08 »
I like the write-up! How do you like blues for gaming?

Offline jalaj

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 09:15:01 »
also try clears and whites
you can easily find KBs with these switches on leopolds, duckys, and some chinese/taiwanese brands

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 10:07:27 »
I like the write-up! How do you like blues for gaming?
They're okay, and I have played MMOs on it alright, but I think that Reds are better. I usually end up playing League with it anyways  because my MX Red is full size and my desk doesn't have that kind of space. Still love Blues, though.

also try clears and whites
you can easily find KBs with these switches on leopolds, duckys, and some chinese/taiwanese brands

I know, I know. But they're pretty expensive, and I think that I'd rather get a Topre with the money instead.

Offline redskull

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 21:55:08 »
ive tried almost all cherry switches, except grey and whites. im thinking next stop should be topres.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 09:18:20 »
My experience with blues versus linear switches is the exact opposite. I often apply too little force to get past the peak point... and basically miss that keystroke. Of course, I could hit keys harder, but I would bottom out all the time then. The only tactile switches I don't mind are clears and MLs.

BTW I don't think tactility actually matters, when it comes accuracy. If you're typing at 120 wpm, you have ~100 ms for each keystroke on average (I know it's a bit more complicated in actuality)... compare that to average response time. The tactility is more of a confirmation, which makes it easier to build a muscle memory, but if you're looking at the screen, it doesn't really matter. I understand that it might feel good though.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 14:35:49 »
My experience with blues versus linear switches is the exact opposite. I often apply too little force to get past the peak point... and basically miss that keystroke. Of course, I could hit keys harder, but I would bottom out all the time then. The only tactile switches I don't mind are clears and MLs.

BTW I don't think tactility actually matters, when it comes accuracy. If you're typing at 120 wpm, you have ~100 ms for each keystroke on average (I know it's a bit more complicated in actuality)... compare that to average response time. The tactility is more of a confirmation, which makes it easier to build a muscle memory, but if you're looking at the screen, it doesn't really matter. I understand that it might feel good though.

That's wonderful, and you are entitled to your own opinion. I will be the first one to tell you that you're completely wrong, but of course it's subjective. I am doubtful that you've ever typed at over 120 wpm and know how it feels like, and similarly I doubt you could acquire in the 120 range with any ease using a linear switch. But to each their own.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 00:08:07 »
I know, I know. But they're pretty expensive, and I think that I'd rather get a Topre with the money instead.

So I imagine you did (buy a Topre board), and from your most recent posts, I imagine it didn't work out to well? Is that correct? Cup rubber certainly isn't exactly as heavenly as some make it out to be.
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 00:31:59 »

So I imagine you did (buy a Topre board), and from your most recent posts, I imagine it didn't work out to well? Is that correct? Cup rubber certainly isn't exactly as heavenly as some make it out to be.

Ah, I actually didn't buy one myself. I checked out moose's ultra-fancy HHKB, and the best thing, in my opinion, is the sound. The feel isn't particularly conducive to typing comfort or speed.
I wish that Cherry had a switch that made the lovely sound, though.

Offline Tony

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 02:19:41 »
Blue: Noisy, very good typing feel. There is a small delay when tapping, not good for FPS.

Brown: My favorite. Not noisy but still have the bump. I am typing on a Filco brown now. For typing it is excellent, for gaming it is also decent. The best for all-round newbies and experts.

Red: very light with no bump at all. I can type very fast, but it is also very easy to make typing mistakes with this switch. For FPS gaming, this is heaven.

Black: quite heavy, takes some time to get used to. For typing it is so so, for gaming it is tough.

Topre: very similar to brown, though much quieter. Can't justify the big difference in price, so I don't buy any.

Buckling spring: Very sturdy, got quite a distinct and retro feel. For typing it is very good but a bit too heavy. Noisy as hell.

White Alps: Similar to blue but with different sound and require a heavier force to press.

ML switch: Very much like Apple keyboard but comes with a clicky sound.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 16:24:14 »
Blue: Noisy, very good typing feel. There is a small delay when tapping, not good for FPS.

Brown: My favorite. Not noisy but still have the bump. I am typing on a Filco brown now. For typing it is excellent, for gaming it is also decent. The best for all-round newbies and experts.

Red: very light with no bump at all. I can type very fast, but it is also very easy to make typing mistakes with this switch. For FPS gaming, this is heaven.

Black: quite heavy, takes some time to get used to. For typing it is so so, for gaming it is tough.

Topre: very similar to brown, though much quieter. Can't justify the big difference in price, so I don't buy any.

Buckling spring: Very sturdy, got quite a distinct and retro feel. For typing it is very good but a bit too heavy. Noisy as hell.

White Alps: Similar to blue but with different sound and require a heavier force to press.

ML switch: Very much like Apple keyboard but comes with a clicky sound.

Thanks for the mini-review! If only I was able to try all of those switches.

Offline nzhao20

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 09:52:55 »
Just wanted to post my thoughts on some switch types!
Topres- I have a Leopold FC 660C, and the topre doesn't really live up to expectations, I think the best part about topres is the bottom out sound, other than that, it doesn't really feel that appealing to me for the price point. It feels like pushing down soft blocks of clay, but i think that a similar feel could be gotten with well lubed mx reds and o-rings (for the thock kind of sound)
White alps (i think)- feels like an mx blue
Mx clears- Probably my favorite switch right now, it isn't gritty like the mx brown and if you bottom out( which i don't do 99% of the time) its very cushioned because of the heavy spring and activation force spike after the tactile bump. I think the stock 90g (bottom out) springs are too heavy, and i might go with 65-70
Mx reds- feel like smooth butter, typing is extremely fast on reds and it is probably the best all around switch for people getting into mechanical keyboards. No tactile feedback so typos are pretty easy to make.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 10:19:00 »
Just wanted to post my thoughts on some switch types!
Topres- I have a Leopold FC 660C, and the topre doesn't really live up to expectations, I think the best part about topres is the bottom out sound, other than that, it doesn't really feel that appealing to me for the price point. It feels like pushing down soft blocks of clay, but i think that a similar feel could be gotten with well lubed mx reds and o-rings (for the thock kind of sound)
White alps (i think)- feels like an mx blue
Mx clears- Probably my favorite switch right now, it isn't gritty like the mx brown and if you bottom out( which i don't do 99% of the time) its very cushioned because of the heavy spring and activation force spike after the tactile bump. I think the stock 90g (bottom out) springs are too heavy, and i might go with 65-70
Mx reds- feel like smooth butter, typing is extremely fast on reds and it is probably the best all around switch for people getting into mechanical keyboards. No tactile feedback so typos are pretty easy to make.

How's your typing speed?  ;D

Offline nzhao20

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 12:26:14 »
I get around 100-110, 90 on a bad day. My typing speed on topres aren't that impressive, something like 80-90. You have to bottom out and the bounce back to me isn't that springy compared to mx boards.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 21:08:08 »
I get around 100-110, 90 on a bad day. My typing speed on topres aren't that impressive, something like 80-90. You have to bottom out and the bounce back to me isn't that springy compared to mx boards.

Same, I personally can't type all that fast on Topre, but the sound is really nice. Probably the only reason I'd want one, haha.
I type 140-150 on good days, 130 on bad. Of course, every day of typing is bad for my RSI!