Author Topic: Logitech G910 point form review  (Read 3483 times)

Offline Clessiah

Logitech G910 point form review
« on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 10:00:12 »
Is there some sort of guideline on how a review should be written? I'll reformat this if there is one.

- Switches: It's like MX brown, but with its emphasis on the tactile bump instead of the travel. On MX brown, it feels like they throw in a bump in the middle of a long, linear travel. On Romer G, the bump starts at the very beginning of the travel and takes up the entire first half of the key travel. The bump on Romer G is more pronounced, which does reassemble how rubberdome is all about that bump, but it still has mechanical switch's characteristics of a rather linear travel after the bump, and solid thud when you bottom it and when the key comes back up.
   - The keycaps actually work. They do provide comfortable surface angle to my fingers. The difference between the two different shapes is not as bad as expected. I'm actually suspecting that those keys on the right side of the keyboard would make a pretty nice typing keyboard on their own.
   - More on the keycaps: it does feel that there is a not-that-welcome groove on the keycaps  on the left side keycaps when typing. For gaming it does prevent singer-sliding, however.
   - More on the keycaps: the tilted modifier keycaps on the left side really help. Even though I never had problem pressing those keys accurately on a keyboard with traditional keycaps, these on the G910 give a rather nice surface angle and extra height for my weaker-than-average pinky to press on with less effort.
   - The wrist rest: You know how the keys on standard keyboards are all slanted to the right (\\\\\ <- like that)? With a full keyboard, I usually have my left hand points forward, while my right hand is at a 45 degree angle pointing towards the left side. The shape of G910's wrist rest matches how I place my hand. This resolution is definitely not optimal for typing (go get a split keyboard if you just want to type, or a TKL/60%/40% so you can actually place the keyboard in front of you), but I think this is a good attempt to make standard full size keyboard in gaming position (placed more the left) slightly more comfortable to type on.
   - LED: There's that very small amount of bleed through between keycaps, but it's definitely not what you'd get this keyboard for.
   - LED: You can see some shadow of keycaps' stems on those "gaming keys" and keys with longer text, such as SHIFT and INSERT. Not that noticeable.
   - LED: The software control is… lackluster. They really have to find a way to allow users to add custom effects into LGS itself.
   - LED: Mostly disappointed by how the "wave" effect is achieved by alternative ~24 colors on each key, instead of smooth RGB transition.
   - LED: Spectrum cycle is kind of broken and can't change the cycle speed at this moment (always resets back to middle).
   - LED: Can't get SDK to work. It's because I'm using W10 maybe?
   - LED: Profile keys are forever orange; media keys are forever blue-blue-teal.
   - LED: The logo near the wrist rest is unexpected nice-looking. You can see your desk through it.
   - LED: Until someone enlighten me, I can only keep one default profile and six custom colors.
   - LED: Can't sync with G303 wtf.
   - Physical construction: The rubber feet are just slightly taller than average (ever so slightly). I can slide my G240 mouse pad underneath and save about 1.5" of desk space.
   - Physical construction: The phone stand is seriously the only thing that keeps this keyboard from being pure black. The saving grace is that I actually use it (currently occupied by Nexus 7 streaming Twitch).

Overall: While Logitech G910 reeks heavy accent of Y0L0G4M1NGSTYL3, some of its designs actually have legit reason behind them. It just happens that the improvements (keycaps, slanted wrist rest) don't look pleasing to keyboard-enthusiasts to begin with, then LogitechG went extra mile to piss you off with 🖕 ARX DOCK RELEASE 🖕 (I actually use the dock though. Just need to put something there to hide that stupid piece of blue). But if you are blind, Logitech G910 is definitely a legit attempt to improve/sidegrade from existing mechanical keyboards.

EDIT: uh by blind I meant while it looks hideous (to most of you), it does have fair share of thoughtful designs for the fingers.

Might add more as I go.
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 August 2015, 06:56:10 by Clessiah »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
Re: Logitech G910 point form review
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 20:20:43 »
But if you are blind, Logitech G910 is definitely a legit attempt to improve/sidegrade from existing mechanical keyboards.

Good to know Logicrap has failed yet again in making a decent "Mechanical-like Keyboard" :)) .

Hence any further discussion about this model would only serve as yet another warning to everyone, in avoiding them just like Razer Corp.

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 04:00:40 »
Good to know Logicrap has failed yet again in making a decent "Mechanical-like Keyboard" :)) .
Hence any further discussion about this model would only serve as yet another warning to everyone, in avoiding them just like Razer Corp.
well, I mean the G710 was a decent board for people new to the whole mechanical thing... As was the blackwidow before Razer went over to Kalih switches.

Offline Clessiah

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 07:04:52 »
well, I mean the G710 was a decent board for people new to the whole mechanical thing... As was the blackwidow before Razer went over to Kalih switches.

Unless no one told them there're actually O-rings underneath the keys. I would have hated that mushy feel.

What's wrong with introducing mechanical keyboards using Kailh switches?

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 22:11:49 »

Unless no one told them there're actually O-rings underneath the keys. I would have hated that mushy feel.

What's wrong with introducing mechanical keyboards using Kailh switches?

Depends who you ask. Kailh is supposedly inconsistent. But like all things, there's good and bad. My Kailh board seems very consistent. That said, when I'm messing with the board (changing keycaps, say, vs actually typing on it), I find Cherry switches to be nicer. The Kailh switches feel... I don't know, flimsy almost, for lack of a better term. Doubt I'll break one though.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r