Author Topic: Need help with ErgoDox flipped project  (Read 2769 times)

Offline Captain Proton

Need help with ErgoDox flipped project
« on: Sat, 10 December 2022, 18:20:36 »
Hello! This my first post and first full build, despite being quite a bit on this site as a guest and a keyboard enthusiast for quite some time. Registering is just so terribly difficult isnt it?  :))
Hopefully this is where I should be posting this...

So, on to the assistance I'm seeking. I'm trying to build a variant of the ergo that allows for independent use of the left hand, essentially flipping the whole build. This would be the "gamepad" build, but with the right hand working as well.

I've built the standard layout QMK firmware to test the keyboard. As far as I can tell, QMK is supposed to just work, but I'm probably wrong.

The problem is, the left works, but the moment I connect ANY 3.5mm cable (to connect the two halves), the Teensy crashes. Doesn't even have to have the other half connected to it, just the cable itself. I have the output of the debug log, which is simply it trying to connect till I plug the 3.5mm in, and it disconnects:

Code: [Select]
> left side not responding
> trying to reset mcp23018
HID console disconnected: ZSA Technology Labs ErgoDox EZ (3297:4974:0001)

I mainly followed this build guide with bits and pieces from around the net: https://imgur.io/a/zog7Z

I also did tons of Googling and read anything I could find remotely associated, and I'm at a loss. Let me know if I'm missing details I should add.

P.S. Attached are some pictures of my left hand assembly. I chose to solder the teensy on the bottom instead of flipping it. Also, I am aware there are variants that I probably should've gone with that allows for the left to be dominant, but that would've been easy, and who wants that?

Offline Captain Proton

Re: Need help with ErgoDox flipped project
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 11 December 2022, 14:36:38 »
I spent the past hour verifying the pinouts, and I'm pretty sure I have it right. As far as my brain is telling me, it should match the same pinouts, and all the checks I've done match properly. Data pins are where they should be, and power is correct.

And here's a new thing I just figured out. I was getting irritated and decided to plug whatever had a 3.5 mm plug on it, I started with my headphones, and it DOESNT CRASH. A unconnected 3.5mm cable will stop it dead in its tracks, but my headphones let it plug along.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 December 2022, 15:16:44 »
Are you plugging in the 3.5mm while it's switched on, causing a short in the socket?  That's not a good idea...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Captain Proton

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 11 December 2022, 16:02:57 »
Are you plugging in the 3.5mm while it's switched on, causing a short in the socket?  That's not a good idea...

Heh, soooooo, I figured it out. I wasnt plugging it in while powered up, but I WAS shorting it.

I swear I'm dumber than a bag of hammers sometimes.  :confused:

Long story short, while I was staring at the pcb files in KiCad, I realized that there are 4 pins on the 3.5mm jack... And I was using a 3pin aux cable... :-[

Basically, I've been shorting power and ground. And it was crashing the Teensy. It's a wonder I didnt fry the poor thing.

Thank you for the help! I ordered the proper cable on Amazon (small town, no 4 pole cables here) and it'll be here Tuesday. That should hopefully allow it to function properly. Lol.