Author Topic: Would like some feedback on my first attempt at designing a keyboard  (Read 14507 times)

Offline akwdk9

Hello everyone. I am relatively new to this hobby (About 7 months). I could get Fusion 360 for free with my college email, and thus I have had a go at designing my own original (kinda) keyboard.

The internal structure is basically a carbon copy of the Bakeneko60; since this is a personal project and I don't really intend to GB this or something (Even if I wanted to, I probably can't since I copied an existing product), I thought I could just get the PCB and plate of the Bakeneko60 and use it. And it is obviously gummy o-ring mount. However I cannot confirm that the PCB from Bakeneko60 will actually fit, since I do not own an accurate model for that PCB.

The exterior design is 'inspired' by Keycult No.2, QK65, and F1-8X 722 (which I am a proud owner of). Simply put, It is a tofu with some grooves.

I have attached the STP file to the post, so feel free to download it and take a look.

Below are some specs:
-Layout: 60%
-Typing angle: 8 Degrees
-Size: 310*108*34 (mm)
-Front height: About 18mm
-Mounting style: Gummy O-ring
-UDB C3/C4 compatible

Offline PlayBox

Re: Would like some feedback on my first attempt at designing a keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 26 February 2023, 08:28:25 »
Hello everyone. I am relatively new to this hobby (About 7 months). I could get Fusion 360 for free with my college email, and thus I have had a go at designing my own original (kinda) keyboard.

The internal structure is basically a carbon copy of the Bakeneko60; since this is a personal project and I don't really intend to GB this or something (Even if I wanted to, I probably can't since I copied an existing product), I thought I could just get the PCB and plate of the Bakeneko60 and use it. And it is obviously gummy o-ring mount. However I cannot confirm that the PCB from Bakeneko60 will actually fit, since I do not own an accurate model for that PCB.

The exterior design is 'inspired' by Keycult No.2, QK65, and F1-8X 722 (which I am a proud owner of). Simply put, It is a tofu with some grooves.

I have attached the STP file to the post, so feel free to download it and take a look.

Below are some specs:
-UDB C3/C4 compatible
honestly don't do an one off its gonna cost you a lot to prototype and get something you like
propably sent from my amazon kindle 10th gen

Offline metalchipmaker

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 23 March 2023, 23:52:45 »
What would be holding down the PCB/Plate?
Assuming the plate is at where it will mount, I see about 5.7mm from top surface to plate's top surface.
This would expose the keycap. (keycap's lowest point would be higher than top surface of the case)
Plenty of space on the bottom side, so it wouldn't interfere with PCB.

For the size, normally, PCB should be smaller than the plate, so if you can fit the plate it should be able to fit your PCB.
However, if you are using specific PCB, I would buy the PCB before you request manufacturing the case.
Also, the case at this point would require at least 5 set-ups in 3-Axis machine.
That would bring the price up quite a bit.

Offline Jerome_Ragland

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 06 October 2023, 02:35:32 »

Below are some specs:
-UDB C3/C4 compatible

If you want to develop as a designer, or are thinking about working in a good company, I recommend everyone to read this https://www.jpost.com/special-content/top-10-web-design-companies-2023-reviews-and-comparisons-757951 article, which can be very useful for you and will help you to get a picture of the labor market.

If you're experimenting and not planning to mass-produce your design, you could consider 3D printing a prototype to test your concept. This can be a cost-effective way to refine your design before committing to more expensive manufacturing methods.

Also, keep in mind that custom PCB design can be a complex task, so having accurate measurements or a compatible PCB is crucial. Collaborating with others in the mechanical keyboard community who have experience with PCB design or similar projects can be beneficial.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 October 2023, 01:59:11 by Jerome_Ragland »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 06 October 2023, 05:53:19 »
honestly don't do an one off its gonna cost you a lot to prototype and get something you like
This... Right here.

You're not going to get anything good your first time around,  the odds of your first attempt working are pretty darn close to zero, much less being something you want to use long term.
The cad isn't the hard part, the hard/expensive part is making something on screen work with a physical object and then getting it actually made so unless you have access and/or experience with cnc machines, you're looking at a very time consuming expensive project.

It's not going to be a 2 week / $200 project, this is going to take months to well over a year and it's likely going to cost you over $1000 (or more) by the time you're happy. If you had a CNC or access to one, great, but for what you want it's not going to be worth it.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion