Author Topic: [GB] The Raine  (Read 32230 times)

Offline Bleddyn

[GB] The Raine
« on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 18:36:29 »
Hey guys and gals and all you other lovely folks, What we have here is the Group Buy for The Raine.

The Raine is a keyboard from myself and Satanarchist (parallelojam on Reddit) under our collaborative banner Alchemist Keyboards. It is our first board together and it's essentially a mashup of 40% fun and the classic 1800 layout design with the lowered arrow cluster, all packaged in a 65%ish form factor.
We have had a prototype in hand for over a month or so now and it has been shipped to a couple of people in the community including Jae(nojjers) from Top Clack and ChrisSwires, who's lovely photography provides the image below.
The Group Buy will run from tonight the 6/7th of June until the 12th of June.

Link to most recent IC Here
Link to previous IC Here
A few snaps of the prototype Here.

Updated Specs:
  • Limited to 25 units
  • Colours available: Red, Blue, Black, Silver, Green + 3 ‘premium’ colours.
  • High profile, top-mounted design
  • QMK Compatible PCB
  • CNC 6061 Aluminium, bead-blasted and anodised
  • 1.5mm Aluminium plate - for the sake of simplicity it will be the same colour as the case
  • Plate files will be released once GB has concluded
  • Top case options: WK & WKL
  • Typing angle: 7°
  • Switch spacing: 19mm
  • Front height: 20mm
  • Dimensions: 331.60mm x 117.80mm x 34.50mm (rear height)
  • Centre-mounted, USB-C connector
  • Unbuilt weight: 1.7kg (~3.75lbs)
Custom Colours are below:

Due to the limited number of units, the GB spots will be raffled once the GB period concludes on 12/06 at 9PM BST.
Invoices will be sent out the following day and will be valid for 72 hours. If we've had no contact by then we will re-raffle the spot.

Estimated turnaround time is 10-12 weeks.

Base price for the Raine kit will be $260 + PP fees + shipping

Link to the GB Form: Here

Shipping fees are as follows:
UK: $18
Europe: $30
USA/Canada: $40
Rest of world: $80
(sorry, If anyone has any shipping companies they would suggest for rest of world shipping please let us know)

If an alternative shipping option is used then we will refund the difference to the buyers.

Q&A
Will you offer plates with a fixed layout?
Not in the GB itself, as we’re trying our best to keep costs down. However, for those who want to use a fixed layout instead we can send over the plate files so you can have it made in a material or configuration of your own choosing.

Will it have bluetooth?
It will not have bluetooth and there are no plans to introduce it on this particular board.

Will the PCB be backlit, or RGB compatible?
There will be no backlighting or RGB on this board, We’re not personally big fans of LEDs so we’re going to keep it nice and simple.

Will I be able to order an extra PCB?
Yes, we will be offering extra PCBs in this group buy. Due to the unique layout I think it would be short-sighted not to.

What’s up with that 1.5u right shift?
So two things were important to us when we were in the early stages of planning out the design for this keyboard. These were that we wanted to try and make an ISO-compatible, compact 1800 layout, and it needed to maintain a standard stagger.
After various revisions and input from others on Discord, we ended up with a layout that used primarily standard key sizes. The tab, caps, left shift, ctrl, alt etc are all keys that are available in standard key sets,
and because we personally only use left shift we are happy to use another key for the right shift (ie Super, Fn etc).
We also needed to make sure that the blockers around arrow cluster were even, otherwise it wouldn’t look right. We personally believe it’s a small trade off as there are plenty of 1.5u R4 keys to choose from.

Why don’t you change the layout to XYZ?
I could, but it wouldn’t be the board that I (Satanarchist) wanted to build. I basically learned CAD so I could make this board myself, as I didn’t expect anyone else to do it.
It’s the layout that I want to use, and given what I’m used to it ticks all the boxes for me. With this group buy I’m offering the opportunity for others to join me in owning and enjoying one.
I will also be doing a more open re-run of this in the future, so if you miss out on the GB then fear not.

We do hope to run further group buys in the future for boards of various sizes and layouts, so watch this space if this particular layout isn’t for you.

You can also find us on our newly made discord server where you can get more information and updates as they happen and get quicker responses as one of us is usually online.
DISCORD
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 June 2019, 08:25:39 by Bleddyn »

Offline Bleddyn

Re: [GB] The Raine
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 08:26:05 »
Just a Quick update for everyone.

Currently sat at 41 orders submitted so a raffle is 100% needed which i couldn't be more happy about and simultaneously bummed about. Happy because that means we have managed to get enough people interested to get all 25 spots filled and bummed because it means we have to let some of you down because RNG is a fickle friend.

So Thank You Very Much to all of you who have joined so far, and good luck to you all.
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 June 2019, 21:30:09 by Bleddyn »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 08:43:05 »
Approval bump  :thumb:

Offline TastyChance

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 13:21:24 »
Very unique. Any pictures/renders of the bottom?

Offline Bleddyn

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 16:38:58 »

Offline Bleddyn

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 16:53:18 »
We are into the last 24 hours now of the GB so if you were interested now is the time!!

Huge thank you to everyone who has joined so far, you've made all of this worthwhile.

Offline Bleddyn

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 12 June 2019, 14:39:59 »
Final call, GB closes in 30 minutes time.
Raffle will be done tomorrow and invoices shall be sent out tomorrow/Friday.

If you were interested at all this is your last chance to get in on the GB for The Raine.

https://forms.gle/3dmpfTre6ZzC2oiYA

Offline odd

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 13 June 2019, 17:37:01 »
paid!  :thumb:

Offline Full

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 13 June 2019, 20:20:42 »
Awesome board guys! And I wish you the best of success for future projects! :) A++++ guys the both of you! :)
Hi!

Offline Neodeus

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 14:39:53 »
Too...... late??  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Pay day did not come soon enough it would seem.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 June 2019, 14:42:28 by Neodeus »

Offline Ahngel

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 18:41:39 »
Raine when?

Offline vi0till

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 21 August 2019, 10:35:38 »
Any possibility for unwanted spot? Would interested to grab one. But I miss the gb timing.

Offline JJ

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 26 August 2019, 11:57:06 »
How did i not see this? hoping for round 2

Offline Bleddyn

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 08:59:39 »
UPDATE

So been a little quiet on the GH front as most of the discussion and news gets put out in the discord (a link to which can be found at the bottom of the post above)

Boards have been CNC'd and are in the process of anodization as we speak, we are expecting shipping from the manu within two weeks as long as no further delays arise, we have had one small delay as the manu wasnt satisfied with the anodization so they elected to have it re done.

Other than that its all as it should be :)

Bleddyn
Alchemist Keyboards

Offline Bleddyn

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 16:19:44 »
All boards have now been shipped! James will be updating the tracking on your PayPal invoices gradually throughout the evening.

If you want to know your tracking details directly just drop me or him PM with your email address :)

---

On a side note, James and I just want to thank you all for the support and patience you've given us with this GB. It hasn't been easy, and at times has been particularly challenging for us, but for a first GB it could have been worse still, and given the events that transpired we're grateful that we were even able to complete the GB at all.

With this in mind, while the boards we have sent out aren't damaged, they also aren't necessarily perfect. A few of them have slightly patchy anodisation on the insides of the case, and you may notice marks in the corners from where the boards were hung for anodisation (although the bumpons are meant to cover these marks). The packaging and accessories are also pretty barebones due to all the money lost on this GB, but between the issues with the manufacturer and the lessons learned regarding profit margins, we've learned a lot and will use this newfound knowledge to improve and make sure we deliver the best possible GB next time round.

We don't want this to sound like excuses are being made, but rather that we want to be as transparent as possible with how this whole GB process has occurred.

Again, we really appreciate all the love and support we've had, and words alone can't express how you've lifted us through the more difficult periods. Now we can't wait for the next GB!

James & Bleddyn,
Alchemist Keyboards

Offline odd

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 03:38:59 »
I'm selling my kit if anyone is interested. It's grey/grey with a extra plate and extra PCB, so 2 plates and 2 PCB's. I'm selling it for the same price I paid for it no more and no less. Well no that's a lie shipping might be cheaper to you. I have inspected it and it's flawless inside and out. Send me a PM if you are interested and I'll send you a verification pic of the goods (and anymore if requested) afterwards, thanks all.

Offline Bleddyn

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 07:49:43 »
I'm selling my kit if anyone is interested. It's grey/grey with a extra plate and extra PCB, so 2 plates and 2 PCB's. I'm selling it for the same price I paid for it no more and no less. Well no that's a lie shipping might be cheaper to you. I have inspected it and it's flawless inside and out. Send me a PM if you are interested and I'll send you a verification pic of the goods (and anymore if requested) afterwards, thanks all.

Someone give this guy a medal, Thank you for passing this on at cost and not seeking to make a profit, if we see anyone looking will be sure to pass them your way!

Offline Xffme

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 13:01:32 »

PM’d you. I love this layout! I’ve only in the last few months gotten into the hobby.